• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

I like horror movies, but I love written horror! Anyone have any more unusual recommendations? I have read most of the big name items and a lot of unique stuff. Looking for unusual things that you might not come across in a typical browse.

Self pimpage.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0557892341/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know you'd never come across that in a typical browse, because I know how few copies I've sold. I just don't have the backbone to dive fully into self pimpage. There's some sample on there, so you can check it out. I know I need an editor, but I believe in my plots and characters.

This is also, actually, the first time I've ever directly linked this on GAF. I really don't like self pimping. Not sure why I feel like sharing this all of a sudden.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Self pimpage.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0557892341/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know you'd never come across that in a typical browse, because I know how few copies I've sold. I just don't have the backbone to dive fully into self pimpage. There's some sample on there, so you can check it out. I know I need an editor, but I believe in my plots and characters.

This is also, actually, the first time I've ever directly linked this on GAF. I really don't like self pimping. Not sure why I feel like sharing this all of a sudden.

Hey I will check it out! Is this self published?

Just finished Lake Mungo. Wow. Great movie. It reminded me very much so of The Last Broadcast especially in terms of pace. The difference between the two is that Lake Mungo
xxxxxxxxxx follows through to the end.
Definite recommend.

Lake mungo started with a lot of promise and then just didn't follow through. It was ok I guess
How odd to see such specifically contradictory comments so close to each other. Lake Mungo blew me away, I've shown it to multiple people since my first viewing. Once you realize what is actually happening- wow... So terrifying!

Yep. Hence it needing an editor. Thanks. I'm in complete limbo on my current project. It's fun to pretend I'm a writer from time to time.

If you've got the money, an editor is definitely worth investing in. My book, Live Undead, cost $375 to edit but it was money well spent. I haven't made it back, not by a long shot, but I feel a lot more comfortable and confident in the product I'm selling. It'd definitely the best vampire horror/splatterpunk book I could have written.

How odd to see such specifically contradictory comments so close to each other. Lake Mungo blew me away, I've shown it to multiple people since my first viewing. Once you realize what is actually happening- wow... So terrifying!

i thought there was some good creepiness to start and then when it was revealed that
it was the brother doing some of the stuff the movie just dropped like a rock. couple in the weird neighbor banging part and the movie was a real let down from that point until she sees herself at the beach. that part was creepy too. but too far and few between.... movie just couldn't keep me entertained.
i don't expect a thrill-a-second from all my horror movies but lake mungo was a little boring :(

but your opinion isn't wrong. we just have different tastes brotha!

If you've got the money, an editor is definitely worth investing in. My book, Live Undead, cost $375 to edit but it was money well spent. I haven't made it back, not by a long shot, but I feel a lot more comfortable and confident in the product I'm selling. It'd definitely the best vampire horror/splatterpunk book I could have written.

For my next book, I'll likely do it. If I ever finish it :)

Nice cover too. Glanced through your sample, it's not my kind of thing to be honest, but, yeah. The prose sure reads better than what I was able to achieve 'self editing'.

i thought there was some good creepiness to start and then when it was revealed that
it was the brother doing some of the stuff the movie just dropped like a rock. couple in the weird neighbor banging part and the movie was a real let down from that point until she sees herself at the beach. that part was creepy too. but too far and few between.... movie just couldn't keep me entertained.
i don't expect a thrill-a-second from all my horror movies but lake mungo was a little boring :(

but your opinion isn't wrong. we just have different tastes brotha!
True, there may have been a few too many red herrings now that you mention it. The end made up for it I thought, but I can totally see where you are coming from. That being said, if you haven't seen it, horror-gaf, watch Lake Mungo!

Just watched Absentia (2011) on Netflix stream. What a damn creepy movie. I highly recommend this one. I started watching it a few months ago and turned it off because it looked too "low budget". I am glad I decided to give it another go, because I really enjoyed it overall. Great horror/mystery that relies on well-done tension as opposed to throwing constant gore at you.

I really need to watch Lake Mungo again. That one gave me nightmares.

Just watched Absentia (2011) on Netflix stream. What a damn creepy movie. I highly recommend this one. I started watching it a few months ago and turned it off because it looked too "low budget". I am glad I decided to give it another go, because I really enjoyed it overall. Great horror/mystery that relies on well-done tension as opposed to throwing constant gore at you.

I really need to watch Lake Mungo again. That one gave me nightmares.

absentia was really good. it was obviously low budget but they did a lot with what they had. a lot of times its what you don't show and they showed JUST enough to make it really creepy

absentia was really good. it was obviously low budget but they did a lot with what they had. a lot of times its what you don't show and they showed JUST enough to make it really creepy

That is probably my favorite kind of horror. Where they get it so they don't need to show very much to scare you. It's that feeling of the unknown. There were two REALLY scary scenes in the movie that made me nervous as hell because of this
When the younger sister was in front of the shower-curtain and near the end when they are staring into the blackness

i watched this movie on netflix tonight called the Theater Bizarre. it's a series of short stories like creepshow or v/h/s.... i'm not sure what i thought of it. its extremely violent in some of the stories, disgusting/violent in others. it definitely wasn't bad i just don't know if it was any good. really fucking weird in some parts.... especially the ending scene. tom savini did one of the shorts which was pretty good and i have to say the effets were quality.

anyhow, i would say the movie is worth the hour and a half

Aske

I finally saw Sinister tonight. I felt it could have been incredible, but was let down by its plot. The film has so much going for it: promising mystery, incredible atmosphere, solid characters; but I felt the whole package was blown on a throwaway story. As soon as the professor started talking, I felt like I was watching a mediocre episode of Supernatural. Once the plot started to reveal itself, everything became depressingly predictable, and from that point I was just waiting to see the inevitable unfold. This took all the wind out of the finale, which would have been weak even if it retained the element of surprise.

As much as the plot let me down, the film tells its story so well that it's hard not to recommend it regardless. I enjoyed the first half immensely, and certainly don't regret spending a couple of hours with the film. Plus, the soundtrack features not one, but four Aghast tracks. Since the music was discussed earlier in the thread, others who enjoyed it might want to track down Hexerei im Zwielicht der Finsternis, the album most of the film's music is taken from.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D

Excellent write-up. I still haven't seen Hansel and Gretel, but should get a chance later this week. Sounds like it'll be exactly what the trailers promised: an R-rated Van Helsing. Can't wait, and I'll be sure to see it in 3D.

I finally saw Sinister tonight. I felt it could have been incredible, but was let down by its plot. The film has so much going for it: promising mystery, incredible atmosphere, solid characters; but I felt the whole package was blown on a throwaway story. As soon as the professor started talking, I felt like I was watching a mediocre episode of Supernatural. Once the plot started to reveal itself, everything became depressingly predictable, and from that point I was just waiting to see the inevitable unfold. This took all the wind out of the finale, which would have been weak even if it retained the element of surprise.

As much as the plot let me down, the film tells its story so well that it's hard not to recommend it regardless. I enjoyed the first half immensely, and certainly don't regret spending a couple of hours with the film. Plus, the soundtrack features not one, but four Aghast tracks. Since the music was discussed earlier in the thread, others who enjoyed it might want to track down Hexerei im Zwielicht der Finsternis, the album most of the film's music is taken from.
Yeah. See, for me as soon as I figured out that
the family weren't in trouble until they moved house
(which I figured out well before the characters did) it neutered all of the scenes of them in the house at night. The snuff films remained cool, but the night scenes just became really boring. well shot, well scored... but yeah, boring.

so then when they do finally
move house
I'm all set for a night of genuine tension and shocks, and instead
the family are pretty much instantly drugged, and then killed off screen
. I felt like I'd just engaged in an hour and a half of foreplay followed by a premature ejaculation. Crude, but that's the best analogy of how Sinister was for me.

Excellent write-up. I still haven't seen Hansel and Gretel, but should get a chance later this week. Sounds like it'll be exactly what the trailers promised: an R-rated Van Helsing. Can't wait, and I'll be sure to see it in 3D.
Hopefully you'll still think it's a good write up after you've seen it. My wife and I go to the cinema a lot, and we generally catch stuff opening weekend, so I'll continue posting little movie reviews for stuff as we see them, unless other people have already done so and I feel the same way.

I finally got around to watching Lovely Molly this weekend and I was pretty disappointed.

I guess it's debatable over if it's a haunted house movie, but it's close enough and those rarely interest me. The scares never worked and it often came off as really silly even though the subject matter was supposed to be dark and disturbing. Come on, were we supposed to be creeped out by a
ghost banging Molly up against the wall
? It was ridiculous! And as usual with these types of movies, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Same story, different coat of paint.

I never really felt anything for the character of Molly either. I don't think she came off as likeable before the shit hit the fan and her character just got worse and worse as she spiraled into madness so I never felt connected to her enough to be concerned or worried for her. I heard a lot of good things about Gretchen Lodge's performance as Molly before watching too, but I didn't really see anything special. Maybe it's just because the character was so dull.

Overall, I found it boring and wouldn't recommend it.

i watched this movie on netflix tonight called the Theater Bizarre. it's a series of short stories like creepshow or v/h/s.... i'm not sure what i thought of it. its extremely violent in some of the stories, disgusting/violent in others. it definitely wasn't bad i just don't know if it was any good. really fucking weird in some parts.... especially the ending scene. tom savini did one of the shorts which was pretty good and i have to say the effets were quality.

anyhow, i would say the movie is worth the hour and a half
I watched that last week on netflix. I finished the film and sat there wondering what the hell I just watched. I think some of the shorts were decent, especially the one with the girl and her mom and the reality of death. But some of the others felt like they were going for pure gross out horror almost to the point of comedy. Seriously, WTF was going on in that last segment? Some kind of forcefeeding fetish? So weird...

I watched that last week on netflix. I finished the film and sat there wondering what the hell I just watched. I think some of the shorts were decent, especially the one with the girl and her mom and the reality of death. But some of the others felt like they were going for pure gross out horror almost to the point of comedy. Seriously, WTF was going on in that last segment? Some kind of forcefeeding fetish? So weird...

Lol that's exactly what I did. Still trying to figure out! It was entertaining. I don't get squeamish often but the one involving eyes/visions really made my skin crawl

Lol that's exactly what I did. Still trying to figure out! It was entertaining. I don't get squeamish often but the one involving eyes/visions really made my skin crawl

Yeah, I think I had to look away during that segment at least 4 or 5 times. The whole concept appeared to be the director wanting to know how many times they could get away with showing an up close shot of a needle going into an eyeball.

I thought the connecting sequences were suitably creepy also, creepier than any of the actual shorts themselves.
Especially when it panned to the girl in the audience and her eyes were painted on.

We need more opinions on this crazy film, check it out horror-gaf!
The Theatre Bizarre

Watched The Hole (2009) and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of The Gate. Overall it was a fun little PG-13 horror flick about these two brothers that find a strange locked trap-door in their basement. The FX weren't overdone and didn't try to over-rely on CG. They had a creepy Ray Harryhausen feel to them. Not bad!

Also re-watched Lake Mungo (2008). To be perfectly honest this might be my new scariest movie right now. Watching this while alone in the dark made me afraid to go downstairs for a beverage. A few scenes with the photos had me scared half to death. Nothing jumping out at me and startling me, just this feeling of terror that strikes to the core. Very well-done mockumentary style as well. Felt very genuine in the performances and style.

I really want to watch Creepshow 2 for some reason. Just the second and third bits. Oil Slick thing on the lake and the "thanks for the ride, lady!" were damn memorable little horror stories. I love anthology films, because you are usually able to find one or two stories you like which makes it feel like your time was well spent. ie: V/H/S. Mostly garbage, but two of the bits were really cool.

Aske

I finally got around to watching Lovely Molly this weekend and I was pretty disappointed.

I guess it's debatable over if it's a haunted house movie, but it's close enough and those rarely interest me. The scares never worked and it often came off as really silly even though the subject matter was supposed to be dark and disturbing. Come on, were we supposed to be creeped out by a
ghost banging Molly up against the wall
? It was ridiculous! And as usual with these types of movies, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Same story, different coat of paint.

I never really felt anything for the character of Molly either. I don't think she came off as likeable before the shit hit the fan and her character just got worse and worse as she spiraled into madness so I never felt connected to her enough to be concerned or worried for her. I heard a lot of good things about Gretchen Lodge's performance as Molly before watching too, but I didn't really see anything special. Maybe it's just because the character was so dull.

Overall, I found it boring and wouldn't recommend it.

I might have missed some positive reactions in this thread, but I feel like the only one on GAF who enjoyed Lovely Molly. Your criticisms are all valid, but I thought it was one of the most creative and interesting horror films I'd seen in years. Molly isn't so much likable as she is fascinating, and the strength of Lodge's performance is in her varied and diverse portrayals of several shades of mental illness. I thought the blend of psychological horror with elements of occultism was handled masterfully, and I think the film impressed me most with the way it balanced all its various themes into a single, cohesive story. I loved its atmosphere. The whole film seemed infused with a sense of oppressive drowsiness. I won't say it was unlike anything I've seen before, but it certainly left a strong impression on me.

I might have missed some positive reactions in this thread, but I feel like the only one on GAF who enjoyed Lovely Molly. Your criticisms are all valid, but I thought it was one of the most creative and interesting horror films I'd seen in years. Molly isn't so much likable as she is fascinating, and the strength of Lodge's performance is in her varied and diverse portrayals of several shades of mental illness. I thought the blend of psychological horror with elements of occultism was handled masterfully, and I think the film impressed me most with the way it balanced all its various themes into a single, cohesive story. I loved its atmosphere. The whole film seemed infused with a sense of oppressive drowsiness. I won't say it was unlike anything I've seen before, but it certainly left a strong impression on me.

Fair enough, those are some interesting points. I had initially read a lot of praise for it on some end of year horror lists on sites I frequent, so it does have its share of fans. I can also see your points of praise in the film, unfortunately I didn't feel the same way.

Perhaps I just didn't look into it deeply enough, but on the surface I didn't get enough out of it to peel back the layers. Looking back on it, I do think they had an interesting ideas but their execution was lacking. I think spending a little more time with Molly being happy, or maybe even showing some of her youth with her sister would have added a lot to the character. Did they even show her nephew? He was mentioned a few times, but I don't recall ever seeing him. Fleshing out her family and past before the events of the movie would have really helped sell me on the character.

I also think the final scene of the film
where Molly's sister finds the photo album and possibly sees a ghost/demon/whatever in the closet)
is a huge misstep as it was much more interesting when it was simply a story of
a woman going insane

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey, you lot who've been watching The Hole lately, is it because Night of the living podcast reviewed it in their "kid friendly" month? I'm the dude who wrote in suggesting that as this month's theme :D

I was so excited to be read on-air. They are my absolute favorite podcast!

Melchiah

Encouraged by what I've read here and elsewhere, and because I loved the director's earlier film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I just preordered Sinister on Blu-Ray. Hopefully it's worth it.

I also just subscribed to Viaplay, which is a Scandinavian equivalent to Netflix, and to my surprise there's a plenty of films that aren't available on the European Netflix, like Stake Land, Pumpkinhead, REC2, Cabin in the Woods, Dog Soldiers, Red State, Villmark, Dead & Buried, Bug, Outpost, The Collector, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, The Thing remake... What's even better, you can add films to favorites for later viewing, unlike on the EU Netflix.

EDIT: For fellow Scandinavians, the first month on Viaplay is free for PS+ subscribers.

strafer

Encouraged by what I've read here and elsewhere, and because I loved the director's earlier film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I just preordered Sinister on Blu-Ray. Hopefully it's worth it.

I also just subscribed to Viaplay, which is a Scandinavian equivalent to Netflix, and to my surprise there's a plenty of films that aren't available on the European Netflix, like Stake Land, Pumpkinhead, REC2, Cabin in the Woods, Dog Soldiers, Red State, Villmark, Dead & Buried, Bug, Outpost, The Collector, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, The Thing remake... What's even better, you can add films to favorites for later viewing, unlike on the EU Netflix.

EDIT: For fellow Scandinavians, the first month on Viaplay is free for PS+ subscribers.

Are the Paranormal movies on there?

Melchiah

Are the Paranormal movies on there?

Do you mean Paranormal Activity? If so, the answer is no. EDIT: But there's porn. =P

EDIT.2: Actually, it seems the first month on Viaplay is free for everyone, but the service itself is locked under PS+, which is odd as Netflix and Mubi aren't tied to it.

Aske

Speaking of, last night I got a chance to see Paranormal Activity 4. I'd heard nothing but bad things, but I managed to enjoy it for what it was.

For my money, the first three films successfully improved on the formula with each instalment. The fourth is certainly a huge step back in terms of horror, but I consistently enjoy the intense, claustrophobic atmosphere of found-footage movies, and tend to appreciate the characters and stories of the PA films. Those aspects of PA4 were the film's saving grace.

I liked the direction things were heading as the story unfolded; but while I appreciated the attempt at an interesting ending, it felt rushed and anticlimactic in execution. It could have saved the film with a bit more weight, but as is so often the case, the credits rolled and left me feeling I'd watched 90 minutes of build-up with no real payoff.

Overall, PA4 is an uninspired rehash of recycled ideas and brings nothing to the franchise or the horror genre; but the story and characters kept me engaged. I liked it in spite of its many glaring deficiencies, but only because I'm a sucker for suburban horror, and have yet to burn out on found footage.

Encouraged by what I've read here and elsewhere, and because I loved the director's earlier film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I just preordered Sinister on Blu-Ray.

My man. That film gets way too little love. One of my favourite horror movies of last decade, haters be damned. "EGO SUM QUI INTUS HABITAT"

Yeah, I think I had to look away during that segment at least 4 or 5 times. The whole concept appeared to be the director wanting to know how many times they could get away with showing an up close shot of a needle going into an eyeball.

I thought the connecting sequences were suitably creepy also, creepier than any of the actual shorts themselves.
Especially when it panned to the girl in the audience and her eyes were painted on.

We need more opinions on this crazy film, check it out horror-gaf!
The Theatre Bizarre

I watched it a few months ago, let me copy and paste my mini-review:

It's an anthology of six shorts with a frame story about a woman who sneaks into an abandoned theater where a crazy marionette show is happening, and the puppetmaster "tells" these stories. I actually only started watching in the middle, so I only saw the last 4 shorts, but I'll give some quick thoughts anyway.

"Wet Dreams" is a surrealist and odd look at a husband and wife increasingly mistrustful of each other, due to the husband having nightmares about cheating and other bad things happening. It plays with the line between dreams and reality and combines a lot of familiar tropes of dream imagery and revenge and infidelity but it doesn't really jell into anything coherent. Tom Savini wasted in a cameo.

"The Accident" isn't really horror at all, but a meditation about a little girl who witnesses an accident that kills a deer and has to think about death and cruelty for the firs time. It's actually very well done and somber and kind of stirring, but feels way out of place from the others.

"Vision Stains" takes an interesting idea but wastes it with campy execution. An unnamed woman finds that she can relive the memories of a dying person by...I won't say what exactly, but those of you who treasure your eyeballs probably won't like it--in order to chronicle their life stories like a historian. Goes off in a strange and unearned direction at the end and just feels like they didn't know what to do with the premise. The eyeball effects are pretty good from what I saw though (not that I was able to watch most of them).

"Sweets" is the quirkiest and most surreal, and goriest one, about a couple who have a strange relationship with food and sweets, culminating in a very messy breakup. Tonally it's the most off-kilter and fun one, and the food-fetish scenes are pretty funny, but the climax tries a little too hard and kind of falls flat, and the final shot imitating another famous image is just lame.

Overall, just based on those 4, the film is tonally all over the place and most of them don't quite work, but there are some interesting ideas and scenes that make it sort of worth it. If it makes it to a streaming service I'd recommend a watch; otherwise, pass. 5/10

Melchiah

My man. That film gets way too little love. One of my favourite horror movies of last decade, haters be damned. "EGO SUM QUI INTUS HABITAT"

Tell me about it. Reading the reviews when it was released, I got the idea that some people didn't like its emphasis on the court proceedings, and the fact the story was told in retrospect, whereas I found its execution refreshing. Not to mention, the idea that it put the whole supernatural side in question, and left it somewhat open for the viewers to judge for themselves. It's my favorite exorcism-themed movie, even over The Exorcist.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Last night, I watched a couple of horror movies I'd missed on Netflix, The Descent II and Shark Night.
There was a distinct theme to that double-feature and it wasn't "creature feature".
The strongest similarity they had was that my reaction to both was "wat...wat...wat...wat..." occasionally punctuated by throwing my arms up and yelling "Are you fucking kidding me?".

Last night, I watched a couple of horror movies I'd missed on Netflix, The Descent II and Shark Night.
There was a distinct theme to that double-feature and it wasn't "creature feature".
The strongest similarity they had was that my reaction to both was "wat...wat...wat...wat..." occasionally punctuated by throwing my arms up and yelling "Are you fucking kidding me?".

Shark Night is a SyFy original caliber film that somehow got a theatrical release.

I liked Decent II, but Shark Night was probably one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever scene. Ugh so bad.

I like Decent II as well. For a sequel that didn't need to exist, I thought they did a good job with it and the ending was great.

I have no interest in seeing Shark Night, but I heard what the twist ending was and it sounds hilariously stupid.

The poster looks like the film image used on netflix? I've seen a couple different ones.

images

Naw this is the one that i own.
SB3DHz2.jpg

"rented" the abcs of death from amazon. it was entertaining but definitely a mixed effort as you can imagine. here is my brief review of each short:

A- I like this one! Good effects. short and sweet! 8/10
B- pretty good! i wish the "monster" was better but i liked it. 7/10
C- might have considered it better if
time crimes or the triangle
didn't exist. 5/10
D- really good. enjoyed it a lot.... the concept and execution! 8/10
E- this one was alright. gross ending of course! 6/10
F- lol holy shit.... what the i don't even.... not sure if this was absolutely awesome or horrible. i'll go with awesome! 9/10
G- ehhhh i dont know, i thought this one was pretty lame. lasted like 60 seconds and i just didn't like it. 2/10
H- pretty wild. i didn't think it was that great but ill give it credit for being wild. 5/10
I- i liked this one a lot! very short but the title and the way things go down just struck a chord with me. 9/10
J- made me laugh so ill give it credit there. not that great though. 4/10
K- the first of the
animated shorts
. ehhhh i can't say i hated it but not a big fan. 4/10
L- probably my favorite of the movie. violent, perverse and didn't pull any punches. extremely hard to watch but very hard to look away as well. 10/10
M- disappointing coming from
ti west
, who i like a lot. i feel like it was just a waste of a short and especially coming from a dude who has created some entertaining stuff in the past. 2/10
N- lol this one was pretty good.... pretty funny! 7/10
O- predictable for this letter. didn't like it at all. i get what the guy is going for obviously but just too artsy for my liking! 2/10
P- ugh again very hard to watch the ending of this one. totally went opposite of where i thought it was going. i liked it. 7/10
Q- i liked
v/h/s
but his work here wasn't very good. it was just whatever.... not god awful but it was short and i wasn't a fan of the concept. 3/10
R- this one i liked. its from the director of
a serbian film
. pretty gory and gross. 8/10
S- on one hand there is some awful acting to start with which is saying something considering i haven't complained about that to this point so you know its bad. on the other hand, i liked the way it ended! 7/10
T- lulz. had to get that
claymation
short in! wasn't too bad, but not great. 6/10
U- i loved this one! this is a great concept and i'd be 100% in for a full movie in this style. 9/10
V- i liked it. had a
cyber punk
type feel. i'd watch if they made a full movie! 7/10
W- didn't like it much. i guess its a little entertaining but i'd prefer it be more focused on something. 3/10
X- this one was really good. obviously trying to make a social commentary. really cringe worth near the end. 8/10
Y- another good one! it was fucking gross when the
pedo is licking up the young boys sweat but he got what was coming to him!
. 8/10
Z- didn't like this one much at all. just really fucking weird but i wouldn't say weird in a good way. 2/10

if i had the rate the movie overall i'd give it a 7/10. definitely entertaining but the movie could have been incredible. i'd have loved to see something like this where you have a majority of the movies be horror related. a lot of the stuff here is entertaining but i'm not sure if any of it is horror. there's plenty of torture porn and other interesting stuff but i feel with some of the talented guys involved we could have gotten some terrifying shorts. maybe someday.... but check this out and keep an open mind!

tried to watch FD5. seen it before.

god these movie's initial crash/explosion dream sequence is great. Loved the
bridge collapse
in this. so cheesey and good

then we got to the first death sequence once death comes and I had to turn it off. knowing how its going to happen makes it a lot harder to sit through. had to stop it. creeping me the fuck out.

"rented" the abcs of death from amazon. it was entertaining but definitely a mixed effort as you can imagine. here is my brief review of each short:

A- I like this one! Good effects. short and sweet! 8/10
B- pretty good! i wish the "monster" was better but i liked it. 7/10
C- might have considered it better if
time crimes or the triangle
didn't exist. 5/10
D- really good. enjoyed it a lot.... the concept and execution! 8/10
E- this one was alright. gross ending of course! 6/10
F- lol holy shit.... what the i don't even.... not sure if this was absolutely awesome or horrible. i'll go with awesome! 9/10
G- ehhhh i dont know, i thought this one was pretty lame. lasted like 60 seconds and i just didn't like it. 2/10
H- pretty wild. i didn't think it was that great but ill give it credit for being wild. 5/10
I- i liked this one a lot! very short but the title and the way things go down just struck a chord with me. 9/10
J- made me laugh so ill give it credit there. not that great though. 4/10
K- the first of the
animated shorts
. ehhhh i can't say i hated it but not a big fan. 4/10
L- probably my favorite of the movie. violent, perverse and didn't pull any punches. extremely hard to watch but very hard to look away as well. 10/10
M- disappointing coming from
ti west
, who i like a lot. i feel like it was just a waste of a short and especially coming from a dude who has created some entertaining stuff in the past. 2/10
N- lol this one was pretty good.... pretty funny! 7/10
O- predictable for this letter. didn't like it at all. i get what the guy is going for obviously but just too artsy for my liking! 2/10
P- ugh again very hard to watch the ending of this one. totally went opposite of where i thought it was going. i liked it. 7/10
Q- i liked
v/h/s
but his work here wasn't very good. it was just whatever.... not god awful but it was short and i wasn't a fan of the concept. 3/10
R- this one i liked. its from the director of
a serbian film
. pretty gory and gross. 8/10
S- on one hand there is some awful acting to start with which is saying something considering i haven't complained about that to this point so you know its bad. on the other hand, i liked the way it ended! 7/10
T- lulz. had to get that
claymation
short in! wasn't too bad, but not great. 6/10
U- i loved this one! this is a great concept and i'd be 100% in for a full movie in this style. 9/10
V- i liked it. had a
cyber punk
type feel. i'd watch if they made a full movie! 7/10
W- didn't like it much. i guess its a little entertaining but i'd prefer it be more focused on something. 3/10
X- this one was really good. obviously trying to make a social commentary. really cringe worth near the end. 8/10
Y- another good one! it was fucking gross when the
pedo is licking up the young boys sweat but he got what was coming to him!
. 8/10
Z- didn't like this one much at all. just really fucking weird but i wouldn't say weird in a good way. 2/10

if i had the rate the movie overall i'd give it a 7/10. definitely entertaining but the movie could have been incredible. i'd have loved to see something like this where you have a majority of the movies be horror related. a lot of the stuff here is entertaining but i'm not sure if any of it is horror. there's plenty of torture porn and other interesting stuff but i feel with some of the talented guys involved we could have gotten some terrifying shorts. maybe someday.... but check this out and keep an open mind!
I just watched it....Letter L and P are the only ones worth giving a fuck about. I found the rest to be boring as hell. I wish i could have my 2 hours back. The only reason i watched it was for Srdjan Spasojevic's short and it sucked....come on you made A Serbian Film, coming from you r should have been for rape.
I dont get why they didnt get Hideshi Hino and/or T.F Mous to do a short each...then it would have be worth watching.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
V/H/S: This movie had a really good start : decent frame story and a first short I really loved.
The 'i like you' harpy/bat creature was pretty creepy. Best moment was her disappointment after the unsuccesful bj attempt. 'no like me?'
. Unfortunately, no short after this was this good, with the terrible 'what happened to Emily' as a low point. But hey, titties! The Ti West short was average, tuesday the 17th had a great idea, but terrible execution. The halloween short was pretty bad as well. Promising start, but this thing unraveled pretty quickly. Which is a shame. Imagine this type of found footage anthology with quality shorts (like 'amateur night') all around...

Lake Mungo: had to struggle to stay awake during this one. Didn't like it, felt like the mockumentary style kept it from being scary. I do like the concept of
the family finding more and more weird things about Alice as they kept digging.

06.jpg

Theatre Bizarre: It's like the opposite of V/H/S! Terrible first short, everything after it is better. Not great, but better. First off, I loved the reaction shots of the girl in the theatre. It was like the perfect mix of real fright/camp/over-acting and creepiness. That really made the frame story for me.
- Mother of Toads : really bad. If you skip this and only watch the rest, the overall experience would be better.
- I Love You : cliché psychological thriller story. Guy can't act, girl's hot, ending is hard for me to watch
I'm not good with slit throat scenes :/
- Wet Dreams : Interesting concept, shaky execution. I have a soft spot for dreams and the unconscious, so this one gets a free pass
- The Accident : by far the best short, but it feels really out of place. This short alone though makes this movie worth a watch. Watching
the deer die was pretty painful
- Vision Stains : copy paste Faceless' review. Exactly how I felt about this as well
- Sweets : the weirdest short, but after thinking about it for a bit, definitely the second best. This one is pretty gory and messed up, but strangely enough the guy eating week old chips/junk with hair on it made me cringe more than that.

Try this out! Just fight the urge to stop the film after the first short :)

Top Bottom