• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

T.O.P

Banned
If you want to see a good horror comedy with him in it, I recommend to watch this:
hIb7f23l.jpg

Yeah this was really great

I'll probably rewatch it in October together with

Guys, what are your favourite horror themed podcasts?

I only listen to 2 podcasts at the moment. My all-time favourite is without question is Horrormoviepodcast. Those guys a like family to me, haha. Mostly an intimate and serious discussion of current movies or themed episodesby the four hosts. Their sister podcast Moviepodcastweekly is great (and more chaotic), too. For fans by fans!

Horror News Radio. Profound and often heated discussions by usually five hosts that also are very active in the horror community, doing film fests and such stuff.

kinggroin

Banned

I only listen to 2 podcasts at the moment. My all-time favourite is without question is Horrormoviepodcast. Those guys a like family to me, haha. Mostly an intimate and serious discussion of current movies or themed episodesby the four hosts. Their sister podcast Moviepodcastweekly is great (and more chaotic), too. For fans by fans!

Horror News Radio. Profound and often heated discussions by usually five hosts that also are very active in the horror community, doing film fests and such stuff.

The fledgling video podcast Bitches of Horror on YouTube (though I'm admittedly biased here).

Otherwise the bloodcast and killer POV are great

Melchiah

I wouldn't consider The Shallows horror. It's a (wo)man vs nature survival thriller, like The Edge and The Grey

Now, that picked my interest, as I really enjoyed those two. I wonder if a shark flick can match their quality?

Speaking of survival films, I don't recommend Into the Grizzly Maze (2015). I watched it solely because of this hilarious review...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1694021/reviews
Pfq167m.jpg

...but unfortunately it was nowhere near as good for me as it was for him. It's beyond me why they used awful CGI, since they had Bart the Bear like The Edge.

Now, that picked my interest, as I really enjoyed those two. I wonder if a shark flick can match their quality?

Speaking of survival films, I don't recommend Into the Grizzly Maze (2015). I watched it solely because of this hilarious review...
Pfq167m.jpg

...but unfortunately it was nowhere near as good for me as it was for him. It's beyond me why they used awful CGI, since they had Bart the Bear like The Edge.
Oh, I was just mentioning the first genre examples that came to mind but The Shallows is nowhere as good as those

Melchiah

Oh, I was just mentioning the first genre examples that came to mind but The Shallows is nowhere as good as those

Oh well, I was already getting excited about the idea of getting to see a good survival film. It's kinda like two other favorite sub-genres of mine, sci-fi horror and werewolf films, when it's good it's really good, but there are only few good ones among the piles of garbage.

Seeing Blair Witch this Thursday, woot! Had suspicions that The Woods might be Wingard/Barrett's play on The Blair Witch way back. So that was reason enough to be excited.

Recently watched...

The Disappointments Room-- Note: went in with super low expectations, not knowing anything. The title seemed silly, so why not? Found it to be really well done in the end. It avoided all major horror movie tropes and it was actually more of a family drama than scary movie. Recommended if you want something different and light. Oh yeah, and this might be Kate Beckinsale's best performance yet. She sold me on every note here.

Disorder (Maryland)-- Thought it would be a fun action flick, but actually was really well done suspense that had me on edge by the end. Minor to no gore or violence, everything is practical and common sense. They did a great job with subtleties and music.

Neither Heaven Nor Earth-- It's more of a mystery drama with thriller elements that don't come to fruition. And it's totally ok because it's one of those movies that could well have originated from The Twilight Zone.

The Conjuring 2-- no link needed :p Loved it, looking back. At first thought it was a bit hoaky with the old man bit and all. But after soaking it in more, really appreciated its style. The entire scene where
Lorraine falls asleep and she confronts the nun throughout their house
was brilliant, imo.

I need some help guys, would you consider the following titles horror?

-The Green Room
-The Shallows
-The Invitiation
1. suspense... yes
2. no
3. yes

hanging out with my best friends for our annual horror movie marathon. I want to bring something that will absolutely make us flip the fuck out and was thinking A Serbian Film. I've never seen it and they haven't either (which is unusual), but I want to know if it's actually any good. Has anyone seen it?
Check out Where the Dead Go to Die full length movie by this dude who goes by Screamerclauz.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mByBTMJpVg

Been meaning to tune into Horror Movie Podcast.Thanks for the reminder!

I've enjoyed Killer POV so far and recently finished one of those fictional podcasts, The Black Tapes.

kinggroin

Banned

Pfq167m.jpg

The Shallows was tense fun. Watch it. Not sure about matching The Edge, but better you don't set up benchmarks beforehand.

Aske

-The Green Room
-The Shallows
-The Invitiation

This is such an interesting question. I'd call The Green Room and The Invitation horror, but not The Shallows. I can't tell you exactly why. I think it's a matter of tone. I wouldn't call any of the Jaws or Piranha movies horror either.

It might be the lack of malicious intention. It's very hard to make animals feel "evil", although Cujo - which I haven't seen - seems to be easily categorised as horror. No idea if that's a supernatural dog. I believe it's just a big, rabid one. But I think horror requires something either malicious, or inscrutable and confusing. Mental illness, and disease which disrupts behaviour, is frequently horrific for the latter reason. I think there needs to be a fear of something evil intrinsic to the tone of the film, or of something whose motivations are unsettlingly unclear.

I'd be interested to read the thoughts of others on this. What defines the line between horror and thriller? Silence of the Lambs feels like a thrilling horror. Seven feels like a horrifying thriller. I think few would disagree with those labels, but I can't put my finger on what differentiates the two.

Did not see that ending coming!

I give Sleepaway Camp an A-, that was really fun

I still blame Robot Chicken for spoiling that ending just before I was going to see it for the first time.

Does anyone know where I could watch an animal-cruelty free version of Cannibal Holocaust online? I want to add it to my horror marathon list, but have been able to only find the fully uncut version, and that's the one thing I won't put up with in my horror flicks.

I'd be interested to read the thoughts of others on this. What defines the line between horror and thriller? Silence of the Lambs feels like a thrilling horror. Seven feels like a horrifying thriller. I think few would disagree with those labels, but I can't put my finger on what differentiates the two.

Marketing, mostly. How is the movie marketed? How do the filmmakers talk about it?

Genre boundaries, by definition, tend to be fuzzy.

(But then, I hate the use of "horror" as a noun to describe horror movies, so take this with a grain of salt, I guess.)

T.O.P

Banned

-The Green Room
-The Shallows
-The Invitiation

Maybe not not The Shallows i guess? but still, all amazing movies, especially The Green Room, that movie has a sense of dread that 99% of modern horror can only wish they achieved

lordxar

I still blame Robot Chicken for spoiling that ending just before I was going to see it for the first time.

Does anyone know where I could watch an animal-cruelty free version of Cannibal Holocaust online? I want to add it to my horror marathon list, but have been able to only find the fully uncut version, and that's the one thing I won't put up with in my horror flicks.

You definitely won't like the version on Shudder.

kinggroin

Banned
This is such an interesting question. I'd call The Green Room and The Invitation horror, but not The Shallows. I can't tell you exactly why. I think it's a matter of tone. I wouldn't call any of the Jaws or Piranha movies horror either.

It might be the lack of malicious intention. It's very hard to make animals feel "evil", although Cujo - which I haven't seen - seems to be easily categorised as horror. No idea if that's a supernatural dog. I believe it's just a big, rabid one. But I think horror requires something either malicious, or inscrutable and confusing. Mental illness, and disease which disrupts behaviour, is frequently horrific for the latter reason. I think there needs to be a fear of something evil intrinsic to the tone of the film, or of something whose motivations are unsettlingly unclear.

From Wikipedia -

Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal fears

By that count, Shallows and Jaws match.

Fwiw, I agree with it (yet at the same time, is still likely too broad a definition).

nckidd15

Neo Member
Finished up Scream Queens last night. It feels like a 13 episode B movie the whole time and I can't help but enjoy it. Chad Radwell is one of the best characters on TV.

Started a rewatch of Ash vs. Evil Dead last night too. Damn did it get a stellar Bluray transfer. This was my fave show last year and it's holding up. Pilot was so amazing.

exactly, scream queens is just a fun show thats hard to not enjoy lol
and as for ash vs evil dead, well if theres anyone out there who doesnt like it.. then gtfo lol

-The Green Room
-The Shallows
-The Invitiation

-thriller
-thriller but I guess if you consider Jaws horror then this could be, I don't
-thriller

I've seen all three and I didn't think any were horror. First two are worth watching I suppose but The Invitation goes nowhere. I was waiting for a twist the whole time and it never came, just a very straight forward movie. Also doesn't help that Daario Naharis is as bland as ever.

kinggroin

Banned
-thriller
-thriller but I guess if you consider Jaws horror then this could be, I don't
-thriller

I've seen all three and I didn't think any were horror. First two are worth watching I suppose but The Invitation goes nowhere. I was waiting for a twist the whole time and it never came, just a very straight forward movie. Also doesn't help that Daario Naharis is as bland as ever.

Wow, you really thought that? Huh, I felt like it was hardly straight forward (few red herrings) and the very end being an actual twist considering how the central characters feel (and what they went through) juuuuust before the reveal.

Wow, you really thought that? Huh, I felt like it was hardly straight forward (few red herrings) and the very end being an actual twist considering how the central characters feel (and what they went through) juuuuust before the reveal.

If the big twist was that there was actually
hundreds/thousands of other invitations and incidents
then yea I don't think it was worth it. Right from the start when the shady guy is involved you know it's going to be some cult thing and I just didn't feel enough for the characters for the overall basic plot to really affect me. For a good part of the middle of it, it honestly feels more like a drama than a horror or a thriller, but that's just me.

I thought The Gift was much better than any of the three thriller movies the guy was initially talking about, so I'll give it a random plug.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm here on a cloudy drizzling day, in my horror memorabilia adorned theater room, listening to the Creepshow soundtrack and it's got me thinking.

What was the last contemporary horror film that had a truly memorable soundtrack? Something that's as villainous, menacing, sinister as the evil in the film it's playing in? Something that sticks with you in that dreadful, awful, awesome way.

Top Bottom