• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

T.O.P

Banned
Just started watching The Visit and boy this is an entertaining flick so far (and some hilarious one liner as well)

Wasn't expecting much but i'm kinda surprised

Went to a movie marathon yesterday, caught 12 of the 24 hours

Black Sunday: Pretty cool, really like the look of this one
House By The Cemetery: Enjoyable but one of the most incoherent and unsatisfying movies I've ever seen. Nothing happens the entire movie, and things that seem like they're being built over the course of the movie amount to absolutely nothing. I can dig dumb movies but man....this is a dumb movie with no payoff
Shivers/They Came From Within: Amazing. So much fun to watch, totally ridiculous
Friday The 13th Part 6: Fun movie, first Friday movie I've actually seen
Lost Boys: I've seen most of it on TV before but it never really resonated with me, but seeing it in a theater was fantastic. Holds up!

HiiiLife

Anybody here follow Corpse Husband or Mr Nightmare on YouTube??? Such fun stories to listen to when you're trying to sleep lol. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't creeped out by some of these vids.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So nobody watched ouija yet huh

The answer seems to be no. Except for me. I have. I saw that movie yesterday.

So the movie was, in my (usually pretty lenient opinion) fantastic. It had no right to be as good as it actually was for a lot of reasons; it's a prequel to a garbage movie, the creepy effect is the most tired "ooo possessed girl with their mouths open wide and eyes weird, and of course, that fucking terrible trailer. I went into this movie ready for garbage and I got what I think might have been the best horror movie of the year. But take this with a grain of salt, my expectations were fucking dirt levels of low, and I only saw the first trailer once and barely even remembered it. Now that I've seen both trailers after the fact, they do spoil pretty much every scare, but only if you pay attention to every single frame of them. If you barely remember those trailers, go see this movie, something will get you I promise.

So I guess I should go into more specifics of why I like this movie? I really love Oculus's general set up of
two siblings conducting paranormal experiments on a mirror
because it is a super interesting set up as opposed to the white nuclear family gets haunted set up we see in most horror movies. Ouija Origins of Evil almost falls into the later, but with a clever idea centered around that ouija board, they are able to turn the story into something genuinely interesting. And even better, they are able to escalate on that idea in a super clever way that is so thematically appropriate within the movies own dumb universe I can't help but gush over it.

As for the scares, I should preface this, I hate that dumb mouth open really wide thing most modern horror ghosts do now a days. And to this movie's credit, I thought it was able to make that dumb motif scary. Why? Because they used it as an motif. Whenever(well, like 50% of the time) the kid does the dumb mouth thing there is a reason for it because she uses it as a magic spell designed for very specific uses. Not to give the impression every scare here is a suspenseful masterpiece in execution, there are a lot of jump scares here but even those I found myself really enjoying.

Wow, I gushed way more about this movie than I really meant to. Big take away, this movie was good and probably deserved a much better marketing team than it got. I'll say this, I thought it was a hell of a lot scarier than a certain terrible sequel that happened to come out like two months prior.

kinggroin

Banned
Just watched Takashi Miike's'Gozu' last night. Kind of regret it, kind of don't. Figured that being a little sleepy worked in enhancing the effect of the film's other-wordly elements...

...but it's a Takashi Miike's film. Do we really need to enhance the effect of bath salts??

Just started watching The Visit and boy this is an entertaining flick so far (and some hilarious one liner as well)

The end brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "shit faced"

acohrs

Watched 'The Invitation' over the weekend. First scene of the film makes it feel like it's going to be a ripoff of 'You're Next', but it's a much better film! The tension and pacing in that film is incredible.

zeemumu

I've only seen about two minutes of the first ouija but I do know that
the mom and youngest daughter are ghosts and the oldest daughter survived
because I watched the cinemasins of the first. I hope knowing how it'll all turn out in the end doesn't affect my opinion of the movie. I'm assuming the filmmakers thought of that ahead of time, though.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I've only seen about two minutes of the first ouija but I do know that
the mom and youngest daughter are ghosts and the oldest daughter survived
because I watched the cinemasins of the first. I hope knowing how it'll all turn out in the end doesn't affect my opinion of the movie. I'm assuming the filmmakers thought of that ahead of time, though.

Kay so I did pretty much what you did but in reverse(Origin of Evil then that cinema sins breakdown). All watching that is going to do is help the ending make a lot more sense than going in blind.

Monocle

So nobody watched ouija yet huh
I have. From another thread:

It's very conventional and heavily indulges in modern horror tropes. The polar opposite of smart, carefully crafted and artfully executed movies like The Witch and The Wailing.

It's a really good ride though, and well made for what it is. Fun theater experience.

Basically there are loads and loads of jump scares, and the movie doubles down on the creepy image of the girl with white eyes and a gaping mouth at every opportunity. I thought there would be a good amount of that based on the trailer, but it verges on overkill.

I can't really disagree with the positive reviews for Ouija Origins though. It's very good at being the kind of movie that passes for mainstream horror these days. Your average viewer would probably think Origins pisses all over The Witch, because it's tailor made for an audience that demands the overstimulation and instant gratification of in-your-face scares.

zeemumu

The twist wasn't as out of left field as I'm used to in Shyamalan's films, which in a way is kind of a good thing because it doesn't feel out of place in that world. I thought it was a good film. Supposedly Split is amazing as well so I can't wait to see that next year.

hampig

Watched 'The Invitation' over the weekend. First scene of the film makes it feel like it's going to be a ripoff of 'You're Next', but it's a much better film! The tension and pacing in that film is incredible.

You thought The Invitation was better than You're Next? Or am I reading that wrong and you're saying The Invitation was a better film than you'd expected?

That's a hard one to wrap my head around if it's the former. The Invitation was absolutely terrible in my opinion, and You're Next is one of my favorites from the last few years.

What did you like about The Invitation?

Aske

You thought The Invitation was better than You're Next? Or am I reading that wrong and you're saying The Invitation was a better film than you'd expected?

That's a hard one to wrap my head around if it's the former. The Invitation was absolutely terrible in my opinion, and You're Next is one of my favorites from the last few years.

I also preferred The Invitation because it was an unfamiliar story that was well-told.

You're Next is a brilliant example of the home invasion genre, but I didn't feel it was anything special - it didn't do anything to make itself stand out for me. I didn't care for the mercs either. Those characters weren't especially menacing, they were just crooks. I felt the same way about the guy in Hush. Both films introduce their villains in cool masks that create a sense of distorted reality and invoke something inhuman, then have this effect ruined the instant the masks come off and reveal those wearing them to be pretty average thugs. In terms of thugs vs lone protagonists they're both superb movies, but if a viewer wants a little more mystery, The Invitation will be the better film.

acohrs

The two beginning scenes are really similar in both films, a couple going to a party in a car, some tension about going to the party, and the couples haven't been together long. After that, the films are completely different, but the beginning scenes are pretty similar.

I really liked both, but they're very different. One's more a psychological thriller and the other is more an action survival flick.

gamz

I also preferred The Invitation because it was an unfamiliar story that was well-told.

You're Next is a brilliant example of the home invasion genre, but I didn't feel it was anything special - it didn't do anything to make itself stand out for me. I didn't care for the mercs either. Those characters weren't especially menacing, they were just crooks. I felt the same way about the guy in Hush. Both films introduce their villains in cool masks that create a sense of distorted reality and invoke something inhuman, then have this effect ruined the instant the masks come off and reveal those wearing them to be pretty average thugs. In terms of thugs vs lone protagonists they're both superb movies, but if a viewer wants a little more mystery, The Invitation will be the better film.

Same. I really, really liked Invitation. Don't get me wrong You're Next was a fun movie.

hampig

I couldn't disagree more. The Invitation was far from well-told. After seeing the comments here I looked it up and was shocked to see the reception to the film was so positive. Maybe I'm the weird one, but the acting was bad, the lead character was too over-dramatic and moody to the point of him feeling like a joke, and the relationships between these "friends" was nowhere to be found.

On top of that, the movie was basically scene after scene of the hosts basically doing their best to suggest "we are suspicious and are planning to do bad/violent things here" ,and all the people saying "hey this is a little weird but that's OK, haha!". Every aspect of it was so unbelievable. I like the idea of it, and I like where it went, but it was just so poorly executed. I was just annoyed the entire movie.

You're Next had some likable characters going for it along with some great dialogue. While it's not genre-defining, it does everything that it does very well, and has the sort of charm you rarely see in horror movies.

My opinion on The Invitation doesn't seem to be with the general consensus, but I just wanted to throw it out there for anyone else reading this thread.

gamz

I couldn't disagree more. The Invitation was far from well-told. After seeing the comments here I looked it up and was shocked to see the reception to the film was so positive. Maybe I'm the weird one, but the acting was bad, the lead character was too over-dramatic and moody to the point of him feeling like a joke, and the relationships between these "friends" was nowhere to be found.

On top of that, the movie was basically scene after scene of the hosts basically doing their best to suggest "we are suspicious and are planning to do bad/violent things here" ,and all the people saying "hey this is a little weird but that's OK, haha!". Every aspect of it was so unbelievable. I like the idea of it, and I like where it went, but it was just so poorly executed. I was just annoyed the entire movie.

You're Next had some likable characters going for it along with some great dialogue. While it's not genre-defining, it does everything that it does very well, and has the sort of charm you rarely see in horror movies.

My opinion on The Invitation doesn't seem to be with the general consensus, but I just wanted to throw it out there for anyone else reading this thread.

Then you didn't get all the under tones of the movie. The most important of losing a child and the grieving process. I thought the acting by the lead character carried the whole movie. He was fantastic and the movie was executed perfectly.

hampig

Then you didn't get all the under tones of the movie. The most important of losing a child and the grieving process. I thought the acting by the lead character carried the whole movie. He was fantastic and the movie was executed perfectly.

I absolutely got the undertones. I just thought it was done poorly. I thought he did poorly and the movie was executed poorly.

Perhaps the lead was being dragged down by the writing because he has been great in other things, but regardless, I feel like it missed its mark.

gamz

I absolutely got the undertones. I just thought it was done poorly. I thought he did poorly and the movie was executed poorly.

Perhaps the lead was being dragged down by the writing because he has been great in other things, but regardless, I feel like it missed its mark.

Eh. Opinions and all of that. Just didn't work for you is all.

hampig

Eh. Opinions and all of that. Just didn't work for you is all.
Yeah, it happens. Maybe this is a case of the baader-meinhof phenomenon, I've noticed recently with horror that the more non-mainstream movies tend to be extremely polarizing. Like The VVitch, It Follows, Neon Demon, and I suppose this. I see people in large numbers saying that they're favorites, or that they're garbage.

If this is real and not just my mind finally taking notice, then I would guess it's because of the more artistic "indie" horror that's been showing up. It's becoming a very diverse genre, and that's great. Even if I'm not a fan of this movie (at all, bah!), I do appreciate that it's bringing something to the table that so many people seem to like.

I saw both The Invitation and You're Next! in theatres, and thought both were pretty good.

EDIT: Wait, I mixed up The Invitation with The Visit.

acohrs

I saw both The Invitation and You're Next! in theatres, and thought both were pretty good.

EDIT: Wait, I mixed up The Invitation with The Visit.

Haha mate no worries, I have a hard time not mixing up The Gift, The Invitation, and The Visit. The titles are all too similar!

cr0w

Old Member
Sat down with the wife last night and watched Freddy's Revenge for the first time in years, and she had never seen it before. For reference, she's seen all the others, just never part 2. What a bizarre, bizarre movie. I did like how damn vicious Freddy was in this one compared to the other sequels, but it's just such a weird movie with the subtext.

HiiiLife

S/o to monocle and flowers. I have nothing better to do Halloween weekend after work so I'll probably grab beers at the dine in showing of ouija.

Prolly make it more enjoyable.

Zombine

Banned
How many times can Tina try to run out a door when she gets upset?

tina-carrieface.jpg

So we watched Ouija: Origin of Evil last night (though we never seen the original) and I thought it was surprisingly well done for your typical mainstream haunted house/possession movie. Definitely much better than expected. Relies too heavily on the dumb spooky possessed girl super huge mouth and eyes with no pupils thing though.

imBask

Banned
i'm watching Sleepaway Camp 2

30 min in and i've noticed at least 3 times where people whiffed a fistbump, that's hilarious

acohrs

Saw the Blackcoat's Daughter (February) today on Netflix. It was a good film but nothing special. Didn't know if it was a psychological thriller or horror

Zombine

Banned
Just bought the Hammer Dracula 4-in-1 DVD so I can watch them Monday evening. Really hate that these movies are neglected and trapped in limbo and will never get a proper remaster. These are probably going to be forgotten because the people that do care enough for these films are older than Lee was when the last one was made.

Dracula_1958_c.jpg

Fox Mulder

Just bought the Hammer Dracula 4-in-1 DVD so I can watch them Monday evening. Really hate that these movies are neglected and trapped in limbo and will never get a proper remaster. These are probably going to be forgotten because the people that do care enough for these films are older than Lee was when the last one was made.

Dracula_1958_c.jpg

A good number of hammer films have been released on bluray in the US. Vudu and amazon even have a few digital HD versions of ones that are stuck on dvd.

Their US rights are spread across many companies though, who have varying levels of interest in releasing them as Hammer isn't huge in the US.

I'd just import the UK bluray releases if I had a region free bluray player.

Zombine

Banned
A good number of hammer films have been released on bluray in the US. Vudu and amazon even have a few digital HD versions of ones that are stuck on dvd.

Their US rights are spread across many companies though, who have varying levels of interest in releasing them as Hammer isn't huge in the US.

I'd just import the UK bluray releases if I had a region free bluray player.

We have a couple nice sets I can't really afford right now which stinks, but I was primarily looking for A.D. 1972 and I couldn't find that anywhere. At least that Dracula DVD was only like $9.

Edit:

On an entirely unrelated note: Rob Zombie does not have a single fucking clue what made Halloween I & II special, and he managed to shit out two of the worst remakes I have ever seen in my life. Like, these two movies genuinely make me mad because it's not a hard concept to work with, but instead he goes and tries to rationalize every single aspect of the Halloween mythos and throws in so much ham fisted drama that I had to stop and think about what I was actually watching.

Those films have no charm, and no redeeming aspects that make them worth owning or watching at any point. It's best to pretend that both Zombie and these remakes don't exist. Things like this usually don't make me angry--it's just entertainment. But it's incredibly easy to see through this thin veil of bullshit that this cornball thought he created some kind of horror opus with the first film, and then somehow managed to forget his characterization from that movie and entirely change their motivations. It's just steaming hot garbage.

acohrs

Rewatched The Others tonight, what a classic! May be one of those few films that is better to watch once you've seen it already as you notice how elements of the story connect a lot more.

Aske

Rewatched The Others tonight, what a classic! May be one of those few films that is better to watch once you've seen it already as you notice how elements of the story connect a lot more.

That was a truly magnificent film. I need to give it another rewatch.

I just watched The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House. Didn't care for it. It tries to ape Shirley Jackson's writing in the awesome Haunting of Hill House, right down to the "emotionally fragile woman haunted by herself" concept (not really a spoiler, just trust me and read the book); but unlike Jackson's writing, the film's tone lacks authenticity, so it comes off as pretentious. Which is a shame, because the plot - though too familiar - is serviceable, and the dreamlike atmosphere could have made for a solid movie in the vein of The Awakening.

In terms of film comparisons, this is essentially a sub-par Innkeepers. A let down for me, especially for a Netflix Original.

cr0w

Old Member
The Others scared the living shit out of me when I saw it in the theater. Something about ghosts, man...those are the only films other than Salem's Lot that get to me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
We have forgotten the Evil Dead Remake among the great Remakes.
Even when I would classify it more as a Sequel like it was original intended (with Army of Darkness and a Ash/Mia Team Up followed up)

Super sad that this has not happened.

Next Movie on my Halloween Marathon is Cronos.

Top Bottom