• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Is Jennifer Lawrence a One-Hit Wonder?

Nope. She's a good actress. She might not always be the biggest box office draw but I don't think she necessarily wants to be. It doesn't seem like she got into acting to be a mega star.

Uh, no.

Mother! didn't do well because of her performance in it, but because the story wasn't well-received by most people. Her performance in it was quite great.

Conversely, her performance in many of the X-Men films are quite mediocre and those did alright in the box office.

She's still a good actor who rightfully commands a lot of money on the projects she works on. She's not disappearing anytime soon.

shira

is it safe to say that the "highest paid actress in Hollywood" has just been coasting on Hunger Games heat this whole time?

She is an Oscar winner.
charm_facepalm.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
? She's great in anything besides X Men. She's talented.

Silver Linings
Joy
American Hustle

etc

All good performances undeniably

I felt she was the worst part of AH and joy felt flat(More due to the film than her acting).

She is a good actor, but definitely gets pushed a lot more than deserved I feel. Blame hollywood more for that since she is young and pretty, making her the current it girl.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
there is a massive difference in being a "one hit wonder" and phoning in a performance or two because you're completely over being painted blue for 4 hours a day and play pretending that your friends can shoot lasers out of their eyes or whatever.

She's doin just fine. And passengers/Mother! were both victims of shite marketing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's probably why she won't leave X-Men despite seeming like she dislikes the part so much. She has an Oscar, she will always work. But she has to have box office numbers to continue to be in a position to demand top dollar. X-Men is her best chance to have something to point to and say "See, I'm a draw." Is she a draw? Probably not but somebody will take the bait if she's centerpiece of a hit film. Fassbender is in the same position. He's a good actor. But being good doesn't pay the bills. Nobody pays to see his other stuff so he'll keep doing X-Men movies until he finds another franchise to keep the $$$ faucet going.

Lanf

I think she was brilliant in Silver Linings and she deservedly earned an Oscar for it. She was great in American Hustle as well.

I agree with most in this thread that she just had some bad luck regarding projects she chose the last few years.

there is a massive difference in being a "one hit wonder" and phoning in a performance or two because you're completely over being painted blue for 4 hours a day and play pretending that your friends can shoot lasers out of their eyes or whatever.

She's doin just fine. And passengers/Mother! were both victims of shite marketing.

She's not that over it since she signed on to do another film after her contract was up and talked about how she wished she could play Mystique in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

Fjordson

Seems like there's definitely some pushback against J. Law lately, but I really like her. Think she's got a pretty charismatic screen presence that I usually enjoy in whatever movie she's doing. Was great in Winter's Bone, Silver Linings and American Hustle and I actually enjoyed her in Mother, even if I didn't love the movie overall.

Haven't seen the X-Men movies (at least not the ones with her) so can't comment on those, but she's good in my book.

Haven't seen the X-Men movies (at least not the ones with her) so can't comment on those, but she's good in my book.

They're bad, and the friction between the the studio being all "LOOK WE GOT JLAW LOOK AT OUR MOVIE" and JLaw giving a "i am literally only here because i am contractually obligated to be in three x-men movies" make them even worse experiences.

Which, it's like, whatever, people get sucked into doing jobs they hate all the time.

No? She sleep walks through certain roles (the later X-Men films), but when she's on point, she's great.

Also, you can't be a one-hit wonder with multiple hits.

yeah, that "hunger games/x-men first class/winter's bone/american hustle/silver linings playbook" movie was such a fluke, after that one the rest of her movies were so bad and/or unsuccessful. what a flash in the pan.

Grewitch

Given persistent criticism about her performance as Mystique in the post-trilogy X-Men movies, the failure of Mother! and the mixed reception of Passengers, is it safe to say that the "highest paid actress in Hollywood" has just been coasting on Hunger Games heat this whole time?

I guess the best counterarguments are Winter's Bone (which is underappreciated), and her role in American Hustle, though it's notable that the former was before Hunger Games at all and the latter was midway through the Hunger Games movies.

Joy's probably the strongest counterargument, but i'm not sure of how much staying power that movie's had.

A one-third wonder? How can you say that when you've listed Winter's Bone, American Hustle, Joy and Hunger Games? She's been coasting because of criticism about her performance in the X-Men movies? So what, she's put in work in other movies. What about the reception of Passengers? Are you saying she coasted in that? Or did the film not perform because she coasted? What do you mean?

Of all the people you could have chosen. I don't even know what world we're living in. She's not fucking Chesney Hawke's darn you.

Nah she had a higher peak than most actresses. The problem in Hollywood is female actresses have a much shorter shelf life than male actors. Hollywood's top Males can get major roles from 25-55y/o. Just look at Tom Cruise. Women are highly bankable from 20-30, and then they'll be lucky to land a role playing "wife of protagonist"

Foggy

She's pretty unremarkable. The only role that impressed me was Winter's Bone. Most of my feelings on her roles fall under damning with faint praise.

Meowster

She can be a really great actress when she wants to be. I loved her in Silver Linings Playbook and (especially) Winter’s Bone. I think she’s even good when she just coasts through things. She’s not my favorite or anything but the backlash against her lately feels even more forced than the backlash against Anne Hathaway that lasted for a few years.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I never really thought about it so I looked it up. She's never really been in a good movie. Have never given anything shes been in better than a 6/10. Haven't seen Mother yet.

The thing is I think she's fine she just hasn't been in anything I've really liked yet.

mother was great what is this

It didn't make money so everyone involved in it has been proven to be over-hyped and under-talented.

I never really thought about it so I looked it up. She's never really been in a good movie. Have never given anything shes been in better than a 6/10. Haven't seen Mother yet.

The thing is I think she's fine she just hasn't been in anything I've really liked yet.

Winter's Bone isn't a good movie?

Mother! was a flop because it stank. I don't mind aronofsky but its a terrible movie (to me)

She's not a one hit wonder. Even Chris Pratt's couldn't save passengers

kikiribu

I don't wanna see her face anymore. She's in way too much shit and it's killing my interest in movies in general. I'll stick to the ones that don't rely on overly popular actors that I'm tired of seeing to sell the movie.

kitzkozan

Nah she had a higher peak than most actresses. The problem in Hollywood is female actresses have a much shorter shelf life than male actors. Hollywood's top Males can get major roles from 25-55y/o. Just look at Tom Cruise. Women are highly bankable from 20-30, and then they'll be lucky to land a role playing "wife of protagonist"

The problem isn't just Hollywood, it's also that actress tend to misfire a lot in picking projects because it's easier for them to. There's very few female directors still, so they have to rely on men to get their roles / projects right and the odds are against them lol (and less quality and quantity of leading role). Charlize Theron had a misfire with Aeon Flux despite having a female director with her and both were clueless in getting an action / comic book movie right.

It's much tougher for actresses to stay consistent over time and Jennifer Lawrence will have her struggles just like Brie Larson or any actresses of her generation will. Bullock and Robert never reached the highs that Lawrence did, but they were able to have some consistency by sticking to the same type of roles over a decent amount of time.

pswii60

She came to prominence with Winter's Bone. She wasn't just handed The Hunger Games on a plate, she earned it.

That said, I find her irritating these days. I found her unbearable in Joy. And she's become rather full of herself. But that's what fame does. It also usually destroys you, eventually.

I've not seen mother! yet.

I liked her bottom movements in Silver Linings, I will add.

Edit: actually I didn't mind her in Passengers. And I didn't think the movie was as bad as others made it out to be. Derivative yes, somewhat forgettable yes, but it kept me entertained.

No, because she's actually a good actress. I doubt she did Mother for the money (that and she was dating Aronofsky), iif anything I applaud her for doing something different. Red Sparrow will be another test for her, but it looks good enough,

Thats a short list you got there.. Leo, Hanks, Crowe, The Rock to name a few also have that type of star power.

Hanks has plenty of underperforming films lately. Crowe hasn't had a big hit in years. The concept of a movie star is almost dead these days.

This is one of the dumbest Hot Takes I have seen. She has starred in 8 movies that made 100 million or over domestic.

Even ignoring X-Men and Hunger Games Passengers did big numbers almost entirely on the star power brought by her and Pratt.

Top Bottom