• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Is Jennifer Lawrence a One-Hit Wonder?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't think she's a one hit wonder and she can clearly act... but how the fuck she got nominated for American Hustle I'll never know.

Did a mod add hot take to the title or is the OP aware that his/her argument falls apart seconds in so it was labelled as a hot take i.e. not worth taking seriously? lol

Weird conflating box office numbers to acting performance.

Babyshams

It depends on your meaning.

I don't think she is a draw. I don't think casting her makes people say "I have to go see that new Jennifer Lawrence movie." or "I need to see _____ because Jennifer Lawrence is in it." I don't think she's that kind of star. I think there are very very few of those left if any.

She has given good performances in several other movies so she's not a one hit wonder in terms of her abilities.

leng jai

I've actually been meaning to see Mother! except none of the cinemas around here seem to be showing it at a decent time of night.

No I've enjoyed her in multiple movies.

However the internet is just throwing a hissy fit about her 24/7 since she was supposedly awful in superhero crap that is always bad anyways.

I've seen her in The Hunger Games, Passengers and mother! I've hate her acting in all.
Though, she seems to be getting a bit more bearable.
But obviously she's not a one hit wonder.

Parch

Seems my definition of a "hit" varies. I have a hard time considering Hunger Games a hit, so maybe she's not even a one-hit wonder.

Kayhan

She's 27 yrs old and already has 1 oscar win and 4 nominations. Was a lead in two mega blockbuster franchises, makes like $20+ million a feature, and just had a movie come out wherein she's praised as arguably the best thing in it.

What?

But Passengers and Mother! flopped so this loser lost her chance with me.

i looooooove "mother!" but there is no actor on this world that would've made this into a hit.

For real, it's like blaming Laura Dern for Inland Empire not being a box office juggernaut. Mother! is a worst case scenario acid trip put to film. I'm surprised it even made it to theaters and didn't go straight to some streaming service where people can actually take a risk once in a while.

liquidtmd

Banned
She's watchable enough in all her work and has put in some occasional absolute killer turns

She's not my favourite actress by far, but she sounds very personable in interviews and the hate she gets in some quarters is absolutely mystifying to me

Silver Linings was her best performance.

Seems my definition of a "hit" varies. I have a hard time considering Hunger Games a hit, so maybe she's not even a one-hit wonder.

First movie made $700 million with over $400 million domestic, it's only "not a hit" if Disney and Cameron are your standards.

Passengers flopped? I always assumed it did gangbustets.

Passengers, in the end (i.e. after DVD and streaming and digital and whatever) probably broke even. $300M Worldwide/$100M domestic on a $100-120M budget. Didn't set the world on fire, but won't kill the studio either.

lawrence_red_Sparrow.jpg

Nope, Red Sparrow is coming.

lawrence_red_Sparrow.jpg

Nope, Red Sparrow is coming.

This movie kinda puzzles me. If she doesn't want to do pure commercial movie why is she doing this rando action flick? She obviously doesn't need to take these secondary roles to keep herself busy.

Maybe she actually like doing some action movies but just hates comic book roles? If that's the case that will just annoys the internet nerds that much more hahaha.

what the fuck is a hot take?

I haven't really seen any of her movies outside of hunger games and x men. Think she's great tho. Probably not a one hit wonder

Did a mod add hot take to the title or is the OP aware that his/her argument falls apart seconds in so it was labelled as a hot take i.e. not worth taking seriously? lol

Weird conflating box office numbers to acting performance.

No mods modified the title. OP doesn't know what a one hit wonder is.

Watch more movies. Box office hits aren't always the best movies.
She is great in American Hustle, for instance.
And i haven't seen her in Mother yet but is she bad in it, or is the movie not the financial succes they hoped?
Because if it's the latter, then it's probably just mediocre people not getting what they hoped for and that says nothing about quality of her acting.

Ogodei

what the fuck is a hot take?

I haven't really seen any of her movies outside of hunger games and x men. Think she's great tho. Probably not a one hit wonder

Someone on GAF defined it as an opinion where the ratio of provocativeness to eloquence is high.

That is, a provocative opinion with five paragraphs of supporting evidence isn't a hot take, neither is a brief but mainstream opinion.

Vice

What kind of alternate universe are you in? The movies made $3 billion, has a huge fandom around the world, turned its lead actress into one of the biggest stars in the world and is just just behind the DC movie universe in terms of International box office take. It is the very definition of a hit.

Nipo

The first one grossed 700 million on a budget of 80 million and the series is around $3 billion. How is that not a hit?

Watch more movies. Box office hits aren't always the best movies.
She is great in American Hustle, for instance.
And i haven't seen her in Mother yet but is she bad in it, or is the movie not the financial succes they hoped?
Because if it's the latter, then it's probably just mediocre people not getting what they hoped for and that says nothing about quality of her acting.
The latter.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Passengers flopped? I always assumed it did gangbusters.
It did okay. It’s not the best movie, but it’s decent.

This movie kinda puzzles me. If she doesn't want to do pure commercial movie why is she doing this rando action flick? She obviously doesn't need to take these secondary roles to keep herself busy.

Maybe she actually like doing some action movies but just hates comic book roles? If that's the case that will just annoys the internet nerds that much more hahaha.
I don’t think Red Sparrow is action; the trailer made it look like it was more thriller.

Cuburt

I thought she was fine in mother! and Passengers.

If all I knew her from was X-Men, I'd think she was crap, but I think she's gotten a bad rap and I'm not even really a fan nor have I really seen her in a lot of films. Box office performance/critical reception of mother! and Passengers aren't even fair examples when people didn't seem to have a problem with her in those films.

Those I will say I didn't like how she was in the very final scene of mother! but I wouldn't even put much of the blame on her because the film was already so far off the rails that I don't think any other actress would have pulled it off any better.

I think she'll have a good career but I almost think it would be in her best interest to veer away from tentpole films because she has mostly established herself to wide audiences through films like X-Men and Hunger Games and those films being early in her career didn't exactly help establish that she is a competent actress and more than just a pretty face.

Jennifer Lawrence is an alright but somewhat limited actress who blew up big thanks to landing a big blockbuster. I'd argue she's somewhat the female Leo in that she never really loses herself in roles but instead always looks like a performer playing dress-up, but she's still young and can improve.

kswiston

Passengers, in the end (i.e. after DVD and streaming and digital and whatever) probably broke even. $300M Worldwide/$100M domestic on a $100-120M budget. Didn't set the world on fire, but won't kill the studio either.

Passengers was hyped as being a big end of the year tentpole, which is probably where the impression of failure came from. It also had a very rough start, coming in well under tracking for its first 5 days. Legs were decent though, even factoring in December.

As you said, Passenger probably ended up around breakeven. Perhaps a modest profit when you factor in tv licensing.

Top Bottom