• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Kajiba

original.gif

Rumble19

Just finished this game. You should play it, surprisingly awesome. Also, I know its been said a thousand times, but that soundtrack is amazing.

see5harp

Does this play well at all with a controller? It lists support on the steam page but if it's the same sorta support you get with Binding of Isaac, I'd rather wait.

see5harp

Man so hard to not bite here. There are so many games coming that I sorta wanna sit and wait on a possible sale with Thanksgiving and Christmas fast approaching.

see5harp

I haven't tried, but i can't see this play well at all with a controller.

Do you use the mouse pointer like a cursor where your character will shoot where you are aiming? The melee stuff seems like it would work fine but if it's not autotarget I could see shooting being an issue. If they work out a targetting system to work like a dual stick shooter, I could see it being incredibly fun with it hooked to my TV and my beast home theater.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Not too shabby for my first crack at Chapter 13:

http://i.imgur.com/m3CGw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ZVC0p.jpg
That last floor sure is hard to full combo...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Real talk: As I've been playing this more and trying to A+ all of the levels and get all the secrets, I've been having some intensely fucked up dreams. I woke up yesterday thinking I was in a literal blood bath.

Do you use the mouse pointer like a cursor where your character will shoot where you are aiming? The melee stuff seems like it would work fine but if it's not autotarget I could see shooting being an issue. If they work out a targetting system to work like a dual stick shooter, I could see it being incredibly fun with it hooked to my TV and my beast home theater.

Yes, you also use it to choose a target to lock to. This may seem not super important, but since you really have split seconds to react before being shot, more often than not, you really need a very quick sequence of 'lock-on target'-'move in position'-shoot/slice-move out of the way.
And after that, you still need to move very fast. It seems people are doing fine with a controller, though, but I have no idea how i would play the game with one.

That doesn't necessarily
mean she doesn't exist.
By that logic,
nothing that happened before he woke up actually happened.
To an extent..time is not in sequence for that reason, the violent episodes and the meetings with red head friend from the beginning allude to that.

sixghost

Do you need to play the intro to overwrite your high score for that level? I've gotten a few As or A+s that aren't saving. Also, did the last patch fix the flexibility score? I'm still getting 0s every time.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I just started this. Pretty trippy and sick, just like I thought.

So uh, Steam achievements supposed to work?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Game is still a buggy mess, stuff not working properly (overlay, all kinds of options), it's nowhere near a polished technical product. Needs to be fixed.

Also, the stealth section was beyond dumb, aside from the music and theme the gameplay and overall level just sucked. The barrage of "music featured by..." upon quitting is also a dumb design decision, the equivalent of ads forced into my experience that I can't easily bypass, for a game I paid for...

Other than that, it's a solid game, but massive amounts of work needs to be done on pretty much every level of the package.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You can press ESC to skip the quit messages. I didn't even know it's music credits, heh. Although I already know who did the music because it's awesome so I looked it up myself. I don't think it's that buggy when the overlay is the first thing that comes to mind for you. Patches are coming and welcome of course, hopefully they fix the occasional crash I get and Steamworks and gamepad support (not that the latter is mandatory). Maybe also improve collision detection in some cases. Although I'm not entirely sure I want them to fix the misses when too close, since it works both ways, and it makes a little sense, like being so close you're shooting under somebody's armpits, lol. I guess I just don't think a few needed fixes here and there and a couple lesser levels constitute massive amounts of work. I think almost every PC game has issues like this, though maybe not for everyone.

I'm enjoying the game but I've hit a nasty bug. On the 4th chapter the texture for the stairs doesn't load so I'm unable to transition to the second floor. Until this gets patched does anyone know what files I could edit to unlock the following chapters?

Great game but I'd really like to be able to play past chapter four.

Told girlfriend about the game, and she was looking forward to see it (we've watched Drive recently). Unfortunately, she was expecting to see something similar to Heavy Rain; couldn't understand why graphics are bad, and what is happening on the screen.
I genuinely had no idea you need to have extraordinary imagination to create bloody scenes in your own mind by looking at this stylish graphics. Welp.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Wouldn't mind if a 1-3 second load-up time made it's way into the patch, in fact, I insist. My laptop gets between 10-20 sec loading on the big "Hotline Miami" splash before launching... :(

Edit: Also can't wait for the inevitable OCRemixes! :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Can't stop listening to the soundtrack... too bad I'm broke as fucking balls to be able to afford a bloody indietitle...

*cries in a corner*

Sky Chief

Told girlfriend about the game, and she was looking forward to see it (we've watched Drive recently). Unfortunately, she was expecting to see something similar to Heavy Rain; couldn't understand why graphics are bad, and what is happening on the screen.
I genuinely had no idea you need to have extraordinary imagination to create bloody scenes in your own mind by looking at this stylish graphics. Welp.

My roommates say it has the worst music of any game they have every heard :/

Smash88

Banned
Pro-tip for super high scores:

Use Carl, his drill executions are insane, you can get 100,000 every time easily.

Raptomex

Just buy the game? One of the artists is selling 4 tracks for $4, and if all others followed suit it'd be cheaper to buy the game and copy the .oggs out of the game directory.
Open the folder where the game is located.

Locate all the .ogg files.

Convert them. Maybe this will do the job.

Or you can just listen to them through VLC, which you should already have.
I own the game. I guess I'll try this.

clear31

I could be stupid for thinking this, but it looks like True Lies on the snes to me

I really want to try this since I loved that game as a kid

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
All these high profile releases coming and I'm still playing this like a maniac. Trying to get that perfect run is just too addictive.

Haunted

And he still gets 0 for flexibility even though he changes weapons like 5 times during the level. what the fuck :lol

Edit: Also can't wait for the inevitable OCRemixes! :)
real talk: I don't think most of the people doing shit for OCRemix have a fraction of the talent or musical sense of the guys that are actually on the soundtrack.

Why would I look forward to the work of amateurs after having heard the professionals.

edit: cue egg on my face when some of the musicians on the Hotline Miami soundtrack also do shit for OCRemix from time to time.

ArynCrinn

Banned
And he still gets 0 for flexibility even though he changes weapons like 5 times during the level. what the fuck :lol

real talk: I don't think most of the people doing shit for OCRemix have a fraction of the talent or musical sense of the guys that are actually on the soundtrack.

Why would I look forward to the work of amateurs after having heard the professionals.

edit: cue egg on my face when some of the musicians on the Hotline Miami soundtrack also do shit for OCRemix from time to time.

Dude...some OCRemixes have been amazing! Take DKC2 for instance, some could argue that none of the OC guy's have a fraction of the talent of Dave Wise, but the remixes are still awesome and have a place in my playlist. And not just OCRemix, but any of the covers could be great. Take the "Just Love" remix from the Super Meat Boy OST for instance, bettter imo than Danny B's version by far, should have been Dark Cotton Alley music.

Also cue a plethora of Mega Man remixes...

mrgone

The soundtrack is in the game directory in .ogg format.

Sweet! I've had that soundcloud page on a nearly constant loop for almost a week now. So good to hear it's all there in an open format. And I'll still buy it if it's sold separately.

Top Bottom