• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

jf DOOM

What does "raging bull" do for that mask in the OP? I know the color scheme is different. I assumed he'd have a bald-bull-esque charge or something

Just changes the color scheme. Nothing else unfortunately.

Loving the game so far. Held off buying it on PC to play on Vita and I'm really glad I did. I'm not very good currently but I'm having fun.

Ridley327

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I played Retro City Rampage, and was very quickly bored with its rinse/repeat style.

HLM isn't like that is it?

Not at all; the best way to approach Hotline Miami is that it's an ultra-violent puzzle game.

This game really did seem like it was always destined for the Vita; they did a great job with the port.

that boss at the phone company was epic! killed me like 6 times before i figured him out

can't wait till i get the bug mask with the drill for dem points

for someone who never plays indie games, this has to be my favorite

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're forgetting it's cross-save as well. But I dunno if you MUST be signed into PSN the first boot/save creation or not. The wording says yes, but I haven't tried it otherwise.

The Japanese Vita O/X thing takes some getting used to in this game (X to restart is actually O to restart.. but it still says X to restart lol), and I'm not sure I like the touchpad look/lock function (takes too much time, causing me to loose combo chains)...

That and the lock-on makes the portable version really wonky. The PS3 version is great otherwise because it doesn't require a touch-screen for two button functions.

(The best I've done is a 4x combo so far because I keep getting shot while trying to lock on to enemies since the free-aim is wonky on the portable version)

esai

Pro tip: You're going to sit and try to meticulous plan your way through the levels. Don't. You'll fail over and over. It's far better to throw caution and planning to the wind and just blitz forward like a mad man.
Definitely. Just let your murder instinct take over.

Picked this up last night for the PS3 and damn it plays wonderfully.
I am wondering though, with the lock-on feature, is the R-stick (Aim) really used all that much? Even with a few guys in the room it's a simple matter of snap-locking them without having to meticulously aim my weapon.
Also, I bought the soundtrack months ago and love it but actually playing the game while it grooves in the background is unbelievable. So much fun.

njean777

Someone please enlighten me as to what makes this game so amazing. I have seen the buzz surrounding it since it launched on PC, but never really bothered to look into it. What is the hook?

Umm the music is fucking fantastic, the atmosphere, and the gameplay is really fun as well. Its very trial and error, but when when you get going on a streak it feels very rewarding.

UrbanRats

Trophies are a new feature? I'm pretty sure (100% sure, infact) there are Steam Achievement in the game, so i guess they simply ported those over?

Withnail

Instabuy tomorrow. Probably playing on PS3, but I have a strong urge to buy a Vita just for this. Seems like a perfect fit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This game kicked my fucking ass on PC.. I'm still taking a beating every so often. I'll probably pick up for vita.

Takiyah

Been waiting for this coming to Vita for a while. Too bad for them the maintenance is also today :( That can't feel good...

Not the biggest fan of dragging/tapping to lock (eats too much time), but everything else is sublime on the Vita. The gory bits come out crystal clear on that OLED -- enough to make me question if I'm sick in the head.

Been waiting for this coming to Vita for a while. Too bad for them the maintenance is also today :( That can't feel good...

Yeah, but Sony did try to assuage the situation a bit by updating the store before the maintenance went into effect. Of course, depending on what time zone you live in that probably didn't mean jack :\ I was able to download it around 10:30PM PST (6:30AM GMT) last night.

VanWinkle

I am LOVING this game on Vita. So fun. I love being able to tap an enemy to lock on and drag the screen around to explore the nearby environment.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not the biggest fan of dragging/tapping to lock (eats too much time), but everything else is sublime on the Vita. The gory bits come out crystal clear on that OLED -- enough to make me question if I'm sick in the head.

Well, like the PS3 version there's square to lock. The problem is locking onto things you want quickly to get a combo. Half the time it locks onto an off-screen enemy instead of the one near the door I want to get and then the one on the couch that I'm mad rushing for before they get up. It locks onto an enemy in another room instead of the "closet threat" and then I eat a shotgun from the couch enemy. :(

Anyone have a trophy list?...or are they just the steam achievements with a platinum added?

I just checked the Steam achievement list against my PS3 trophy list and it looks like they are all the same accept that the "Achievement Whore" achievement has been renamed "Trophy Addict" for the platinum.

Also, just in case anybody cares, the hidden trophies on your PS3/Vita list are obviously not hidden on the Steam list. Some are story related, some aren't. Just fair warning.

Double-dipped and it feels oh so good!

Went to play on public transportation this morning and it told me that if I didn't connect to PSN when first playing the game I couldn't transfer cloud saves. It used the word "must" so I felt like it was THEN or NEVER.

Ridley327

Anyone have a trophy list?...or are they just the steam achievements with a platinum added?

Amusingly, the trophy list for Hotline Miami hasn't actually gone live yet on the PSN servers, so any trophies you do earn can only be observed locally. They still up your percentage, though, so no need to fret there.

As far as I can tell, though, it's as you described: Steam achievements with the platinum.

CrovaxPSO

I skipped this on PC but bought it last night and stayed up way too late playing it. One problem I'm having is that my ranks seem to be pretty low (C to B+, a couple As). Is it more important to change up how you take dudes out, or more important to go quickly and keep a combo going?

aro52

I skipped this on PC but bought it last night and stayed up way too late playing it. One problem I'm having is that my ranks seem to be pretty low (C to B+, a couple As). Is it more important to change up how you take dudes out, or more important to go quickly and keep a combo going?

I was getting C and C+ by playing slow and tactical. Aggressive is probably the way to go.

Corto

Whats the replay value of this? Are the levels randomly generated or pre set? Gonna buy either way.

Levels are preset. But there's some replay value on challenging yourself doing better times/scores on the levels, using different masks and searching for secrets.

Very glad I picked this up, and they managed to make the pricing perfect with 1 purchase for PS3 and Vita versions.

The game is as good as I knew it'd be after admiring it from afar. My laptop is great at compression, Pro Tools tasking, and other general computing but terrible with graphics so it was never an option to get this on PC.

All I can say is I hope more of the indie goodness from the past few years from Steam find their way to the Vita and PSN.

Ridley327

Levels are preset. But there's some replay value on challenging yourself doing better times/scores on the levels, using different masks and searching for secrets.

There is a bit of a random element to the levels, though, especially with the weapon loadout resetting every time you die, as well as the short-range wandering enemies occasionally not being strictly set to a boundary inside of their room.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
That Russell Mask looks really cool.

I just checked the Steam achievement list against my PS3 trophy list and it looks like they are all the same accept that the "Achievement Whore" achievement has been renamed "Trophy Addict" for the platinum.

Addict? pff. Should be "Trophy Whore." :p

Tonguer

wait, what?

I thought this was a Vita release; it's also on PS3 with cross-buy?

Excellent; will be grabbing tonight (was going to already; PS3 version is an unexpected bonus).

jf DOOM

I downloaded this on my Vita but not my PS3 yet. Is there two seperate trophy lists, or do they come up as PS3/Vita?

Picked this up last night for the PS3 and damn it plays wonderfully.
I am wondering though, with the lock-on feature, is the R-stick (Aim) really used all that much? .

I completed the game on the PC already without using the lock-on once. Its for pansies who cant aim! ;D

cyborg009

Banned
:)

j3YeTcD
https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/349611239669899266

I downloaded this on my Vita but not my PS3 yet. Is there two seperate trophy lists, or do they come up as PS3/Vita?
It only comes up on the local trophy lists at the moment, so it doesn't say whether it's a shared list or not... but using Cross Save does not automatically unlock trophies for the other version so perhaps they're separate? I don't know.
Edit: The trophy list is working properly now, and it's a single trophy list.

Anyway, played the Vita version some more and I really wish they came up with a better solution for look/lock than the front screen. The back screen would've worked better, IMO ... like the virtual L2/R2 buttons in PS1 games.

Top Bottom