• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Best game I have played this generation. Seriously! Hope it sells a ton on consoles. Feel bad Xbox 360 gamers won't get the chance to play until the eventual sequel later this year.

Sky Chief

On a plane to Miami right now. Wish I had downloaded this on my Miami white Vita before I left. Will be sure to download as soon as I get to my hotel.

I completed the game on the PC already without using the lock-on once. Its for pansies who cant aim! for people who don't have a mouse ;D

Fixed that for you. Seriously though, I can't imagine playing HM with the PS3 controller by using the stick to aim alone. Maybe if I was just being stealthy and moving slow through a level... but this is Hotline Miami we're talking about, not Metal Gear. Anything that lets me chop up my foes quicker on my way towards that A+ is fair game, imo.

ThisOne

Is this easier to play with the Vita nubs or the PS3 sticks? Having a hard time getting the aiming down properly on the Vita...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just bought Muramasa today, but maybe I'll buy this one too to support this Indie movement on the Vita. Is there a demo I can check out? I'm usually not a big fan of purchasing games based off of GAF hype alone, but a co-worker that I trust has also vouched for this game, so it's tempting.

legbone

I just bought Muramasa today, but maybe I'll buy this one too to support this Indie movement on the Vita. Is there a demo I can check out? I'm usually not a big fan of purchasing games based off of GAF hype alone, but a co-worker that I trust has also vouched for this game, so it's tempting.

i highly recommend this game. it is the best $10 i have spent on a downloadable title this generation. seriously, no hype. if you like lightning fast paced action with loads of gore and a really trippy story. buy it. if you want to hear the best soundtrack in a game in years, buy it. the "one more time" gameplay is so addictive. i burnt through three hours playing today without even noticing. the fact that it is yopo on ps3 and vita is just icing on the cake. seriously, the best 10 bucks i have spend this generation. the best downloadable game i have ever played. seriously. this is not hype. sure i get hyped about games but this is one of the few that i feel the hype is not wearing off after a few hours of play. i am typing this but in the back of my mind, i am wanting to play again. i feel the need to die constantly. and you will die. but you will love every minute. first game where dying over and over doesn't feel cheap. i found myself laughing maniacally with each death because it was really my fault. last game i felt that way with was super meatboy. i love this fucking game. i want to go get a rooster mask and take a bat to my neighbors. ok, maybe not that last bit. but this game is like nothing i have ever played. the creator is a fucking genius and now i can't wait for the sequel. after playing this the sequel is now my most wanted game.

sorry for the long post, but my adrenaline is still pumping from playing this game.

That has burned me a couple times (Kid Icarus says hello). I wish there was a demo of sorts.

popyea

Didn't they say there would be co-op added when they first announce the psn port? I was looking forward to that.

Edit: Okay, turns out that was misreported.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why not ask Ultros if he can add your stuff to it? Cause the current OP is kind of lacking for such an amazing game.

I wouldn't mind actually. Plus it seems like your name wasn't in the main OP of the OT registration thread so it's really easy to miss that it was reserved.

Delt31

Game is simple yet very effective. Really enjoying it and the music!! Very impressed. Headphones and vita all the way.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Vita's sticks adequate for this game? I'm afraid they won't be quick, accurate, or responsive enough. But I really want this game!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The right stick which does the aiming is pretty hard to use actually especially when it comes to mob fights and moving about but the auto lock (square button) and the touch lock really helps.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The right stick which does the aiming is pretty hard to use actually especially when it comes to mob fights and moving about but the auto lock (square button) and the touch lock really helps.
Cool, thanks for the response. Could you explain a bit more about how those locks features work? I probably sound like I'm being nitpicky, and that's because I am, haha. I love the Vita, but its sticks aren't the best for quick, high precision tasks.

Shaneus

No PS+ discount sucks, but will double-dip with the PC one because it's rad as hell anyway. Time for some portable ultraviolence, methinks.

Raziel

This game annoyed me quickly. What I dislike is the randomized at times enemy routes, and that when an enemy makes a beeline toward me, even though I'm ready for him, seems like I have about an 70-30 chance to strike first. Lock on is super finicky, and not close to anything approaching reliable. I've also encountered a bug so I've read, where enemies go through walls. Overall not having much fun with the restart happy/trial and error nature of the game.

ULTROS!

Cool, thanks for the response. Could you explain a bit more about how those locks features work? I probably sound like I'm being nitpicky, and that's because I am, haha. I love the Vita, but its sticks aren't the best for quick, high precision tasks.

Once you lock to an enemy, your character's position will face him. Even if you move about, your character's position will still face lock to him until you unlock (pressing square again). You won't miss once you lock onto the enemy.

One thing about the square lock is that it's a bit wonky because it doesn't target the nearest enemy all the time so the touch lock is better when it comes to individual shootings. The square lock is better when it comes to mob shootings.

This game annoyed me quickly. What I dislike is the randomized at times enemy routes, and that when an enemy makes a beeline toward me, even though I'm ready for him, seems like I have about an 70-30 chance to strike first. Lock on is super finicky, and not close to anything approaching reliable. I've also encountered a bug so I've read, where enemies go through walls. Ehh.

I kinda like the randomness. It's a good way to keep you on your toes. After trying to set up a good combo chain in one area and dying a few times, in my next run a guy who was in a small room decides to step out into the hallway where I am. He's never done that before, so I was kinda surprised. I still killed him good.

ULTROS!

The enemies' initial move patterns are the same, it's when you create noise and they start charging and looking for you that they become different actually.

Weird. Get A Life popped even though there's two stages I hadn't gotten A+ in yet (though I was pretty close). Whatever, I'll take it! Lol

Still no Russell mask though. Anyone find it yet?

Weird. Get A Life popped even though there's two stages I hadn't gotten A+ in yet (though I was pretty close). Whatever, I'll take it! Lol

Still no Russell mask though. Anyone find it yet?

In
the prologue, before you kill the bum in the alley and vomit afterwards. The mask is lying by a dumpster

MercuryLS

Banned
Best game I have played this generation. Seriously! Hope it sells a ton on consoles. Feel bad Xbox 360 gamers won't get the chance to play until the eventual sequel later this year.

It's great to see more people get to try this game, was my favorite game of 2012. One of the best games ever.

Shaneus

I just had an idea... imagine this, but with roguelike elements of level design. Unlimited HM? I'd be down with that.

skynidas

Banned
I knew that this game was supposed to be good from the things that I had read, but I'm enjoying it way more than I expected, the music is fantastic and the gameplay is super fast. I love it.

Chesskid1

Banned
i normally hate this type of game but man it's fun as hell.

i'm really enjoying it.

i pretty much never use lockon tho. always try to melee mostly and freehand if i use a gun, lockon too slow.

think i'm in chapter 4 or 5

Finished it this morning without knowing about lock on until the final boss. Now I'm blazing replaying the missions getting A+ with the help of lock on.

That last boss, what a shitty design though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is a point to aiming but the portable version is just bad in regards to the mechanics. The PS3 version is WAY BETTER ported, IMO.

---

Anyway, Chapter 4: That one room. Clever girl.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
There is a point to aiming but the portable version is just bad in regards to the mechanics. The PS3 version is WAY BETTER ported, IMO.

---

Anyway, Chapter 4: That one room. Clever girl.
What is the difference between console and portable versions?

CrovaxPSO

I have no point of comparison since I never played the PC version and haven't downloaded it on PS3 yet, but the Vita controls seem fine to me. Once in a while I feel like I swung first but I get nailed anyway, or a throw will miss by a tiny bit, but it doesn't bother me too much since you can restart so quickly. I only really use the lock-on to throw or shoot through windows or around tight corners.

Top Bottom