• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is the difference between console and portable versions?

The sticks between both. The sticks on PS3 are lot easier to "control" than the portable sticks.

The PS3 version also only needs L2 to look around instead of taking your hand off the aim stick to drag the touch-screen to look around. Same for lock-on. While the tap lock-on is nice. It doesn't really help when you can just square on both to auto-lock on and then aim-control to change your lock-on before committing an attack.

But really, the free-aim on the portable version is hendered more by the sticks than anything.

pa22word

Are the Vita's sticks adequate for this game? I'm afraid they won't be quick, accurate, or responsive enough. But I really want this game!

No. If you get the game on Vita stay away from guns. It's basically impossible to free-aim with any kind of precision whatsoever.

Is there a New Game Plus in this game? I feel like I'm missing so much stuff as I play. Haven't found a single puzzle piece, and I always seem to barely get a B+ every time.

Hoping I can go through it again with all the weapons and masks unlocked - see if that helps.

Speaking of puzzle pieces...
I got the owl mask, but I can't quite figure out how to use it. I see a little "P" appear in my cursor from time to time, but I haven't found the puzzle pieces yet. Is there something special I have to do while the P is on screen?

pa22word

What's the trick?

Ever play Monster Hunter on PSP?

:p

The controls on Vita are fine, especially if you've never played the game before.

Melee controls are fine, yes. Once you pick up a gun though the game goes to shit unless you can find out how to properly touch the screen, fire your gun, move, and control the camera at the same time. Ie, grow another hand and it will be perfect!

Is there a New Game Plus in this game? I feel like I'm missing so much stuff as I play. Haven't found a single puzzle piece, and I always seem to barely get a B+ every time.

Hoping I can go through it again with all the weapons and masks unlocked - see if that helps.

You can replay every chapter from the main menu as soon as you clear them.

Speaking of puzzle pieces...
I got the owl mask, but I can't quite figure out how to use it. I see a little "P" appear in my cursor from time to time, but I haven't found the puzzle pieces yet. Is there something special I have to do while the P is on screen?

The puzzle pieces
are represented as a small purple pixel on the screen. If you pay attention, you can see them without using the mask. I've never worn the mask, but I imagine it makes the pixel easier to see. The cursor doesn't really have anything to do with the puzzle pieces, iirc.

You can replay every chapter from the main menu as soon as you clear them.

Awesome. And all your unlocks carry over? That's pretty neat.

The puzzle pieces
are represented as a small purple pixel on the screen. If you pay attention, you can see them without using the mask. I've never worn the mask, but I imagine it makes the pixel easier to see. The cursor doesn't really have anything to do with the puzzle pieces, iirc.

So I take it the glowing P is from the mask, then?
Do I have to hit a button to pick it up, or do I get it automatically by walking over it?

Awesome. And all your unlocks carry over? That's pretty neat.

So I take it the glowing P is from the mask, then?
Do I have to hit a button to pick it up, or do I get it automatically by walking over it?

yeah, press X to pick up puzzle pieces and masks. Also, P on the cursor means you can pick up stuff and A is to activate (I think)

yeah, press X to pick up puzzle pieces and masks. Also, P on the cursor means you can pick up stuff and A is to activate (I think)

Cool. One last question.
If the P is on screen, do I just hit X anywhere, or do I have to walk to the exact spot where the P turns purple to get the item? The icon seems to change color like a metal detector, almost.

Cool. One last question.
If the P is on screen, do I just hit X anywhere, or do I have to walk to the exact spot where the P turns purple to get the item? The icon seems to change color like a metal detector, almost.

if you look at the floor and see a small purple dot, that's the puzzle piece. Stand over it and press X to pick it up. I think the P on the cursor is to show you can pick up weapons and may not have anything to do with puzzle pieces

Ok, my question, which PlanetSmasher and others were also asking about:

The crosshairs reticule sometimes shows a P or A on it. This means "pickup" items and "activate" item, right? I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this.

aro52

I might have to take advantage of the cloud save, and move over to the PS3. I hit a wall with the Vita version on Chapter 4 "Tension". Free-aiming just doesn't work very well, and I can only get so far on melee alone.

Argh, I'm pretty sure I've used all guns and done all the ground executions... but yet no trophies. Hope they aren't bugged.. because i recall the Steam achievements were super buggy for this game as well.
So close to the Plat...

A sale for $5 bucks with Cross-buy and it's mine. I already own it on the PC, and not that the game isn't totally worth $10, but when buying duplicates or minor revisions to games I already own, I really want as minimal of investment on my end as possible.

No. If you get the game on Vita stay away from guns. It's basically impossible to free-aim with any kind of precision whatsoever.
Just finished playing for an hour with this on the Vita. I'm proficient with guns, enough to clear a room. Not super accurate but I can come out on top usually.

This game plays wonderfully on Vita. I want to get some time in with it on PS3 now.

Kemal86

Just finished the last few levels.

Really liked it overall, did not care for the
boss battles. thought they were ass from an ass. knife guy, van full of dudes, guy with purple dogs and assassin lady.

I had a really tough time aiming the guns using the vita's sticks. Now I read there is an auto-aim or something? I fail.

I'll be playing this on Vita, primarily, so I'm very conflicted as to where I should play it (people say it controls poorly?). I *could* play it on PS3 but that isn't ideal.

Shaneus

Debating whether to get this or not... I love my Vita, but I don't want it to play any differently to the PC one :/

aro52

I'll be playing this on Vita, primarily, so I'm very conflicted as to where I should play it (people say it controls poorly?). I *could* play it on PS3 but that isn't ideal.

It seems to come down to desired playstyle. On Vita, melee works great and auto-aim works quite well (as long as you have time to pre-plan an attack). The main problem on Vita is trying to manually aim with the tiny sticks, that have very limited throw, combined with the twitchy controls.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How do you a+ a chapter?

I think you have to execute multiple and chaining combos. Also it will help if you get the mask at chapter 8 because it gives an additional 5000 if you do an execution.

I just bought Muramasa today, but maybe I'll buy this one too to support this Indie movement on the Vita. Is there a demo I can check out? I'm usually not a big fan of purchasing games based off of GAF hype alone, but a co-worker that I trust has also vouched for this game, so it's tempting.

I have it on pc and it's damn cool. cool music, vibe, but you will get frustrated, like dark souls type frustrated.

it's a cheap fun game. go for it. I don't trust Gaf for games either, the games that people fawn over here are usually terrible. I have been burned a lot and never will again (ICO, SOTC, last of us, any movies directed by Nolan) but I can guarantee that you will not feel ripped off by buying this.

BHK3

Banned
For the people complaining about guns, you have to really learn how to use the auto lock feature using Square, or else hitting the enemies will be in a pain in the ass. I beat the PC version without ever knowing about auto lock and even there using the guns was a little challenging, the bulletspread and hitboxes in this game are quite wonky.

Beat the game in about 2 hours, have no idea where to even attempt these ricochet trophies.

Trophies are either bugged or they will take a long time to do. I tried to get always on top by camping a weapon spawn then dying so I can get another weapon, most weapons spawn outside a few special ones. After that I went and did the animations for the special weapons and the trophy didn't pop. Maybe I have to complete the level instead of quitting?

Trophies are either bugged or they will take a long time to do. I tried to get always on top by camping a weapon spawn then dying so I can get another weapon, most weapons spawn outside a few special ones. After that I went and did the animations for the special weapons and the trophy didn't pop. Maybe I have to complete the level instead of quitting?
I've been completing the level just in case and it hasn't popped yet. I've had issues with this trophy, and the Guns for Show one, which I had to restart my save to try again for. It popped properly this time, but Always On Top is still a no show. :/
Apparently the biker ground kills count as well but I've done them all and still nothing.

Edit: what the hell, it just popped from a drill kill. I've literally done it a dozen times...

pa22word

Just finished playing for an hour with this on the Vita. I'm proficient with guns, enough to clear a room. Not super accurate but I can come out on top usually.

If by "proficient" you mean "I can spray wildly and maybe hit something occasionally", then yeah I agree. As far as precision targeting though I may as well be using the face buttons. There's just not enough range between the dead center of the sticks and the ending encasements of the sticks themselves for any sort of precision to be had. The worst part of it all is that HLM is designed around a mouse, and the lack of any sticky aim at all really kills the experience with these crappy sticks. Anytime you picked up a gun in the PC version, shit got real. In this version? You might as well throw it at the first person you see and hope for the best.

Argh, I'm pretty sure I've used all guns and done all the ground executions... but yet no trophies. Hope they aren't bugged.. because i recall the Steam achievements were super buggy for this game as well.
So close to the Plat...

did you use all the mask exclusive weapons like the drill etc?

there's a lot of environmental kills too, especially in kitchens.

Top Bottom