• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

Shauni

I have doubts this will cause any substantial rage, but I'd love for the apathetic American public to prove me wrong.

Have you been, like, paying no attention whatsoever to what has been happening? Basically since the GOP started their efforts on healthcare it's been nothing but outrage from both sides. GOP reps have stopped taking calls, stopped doing town halls, and done the process in the most cowardly, obscuring way because of the backlash this has produced.

Which would then be neutered in court and overturned 8 years later.

Maybe in 30 years we can try again.

Not necessarily. Roberts hurt the ACA but did not kill it. Even the Supreme Court considers its legacy and the opinions of the public, even if it pretends it doesn't.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Not happening. McCain voted along party lines on the committee vote so why wouldn't he on the repeal

Maybe he really did believe his deathbed speech to restore norms in the senate. Basically don't block thing procedurally and don't vote for bills with the intent of it being fixed later.

We couldn't get a public option 8 years ago with a supermajority in the Senate. Single payer is a pipe dream in the US.

I was a true believer in my 20s. I've grown older and more realistic about where our country is.

But
Bernie
said it was gonna happen.

Same, I'm 35 now, shit like that doesn't happen here when you have an excessively large chunk of the voting block heavily against it. Voting block, being key there.

Foffy

Banned
We couldn't get a public option 8 years ago with a supermajority in the Senate. Single payer is a pipe dream in the US.

I was a true believer in my 20s. I've grown older and more realistic about where our country is.

More than ever, people believe the government should be involved in health care.

The GOP might force accelerationism to this, but the issue is getting them out of power so this switch can go.

mreddie

I'm pretty certain he'll get primaried by someone even worse who will win. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's AZ.

We had 2 Trump people run against McCain last year, both lost but might come back for the Flake seat.

And then Trump might handpick someone else and it's fucked.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Things will be *much* different if this bill passes.

Public opinion will not be where it was 8 years ago

Yeah, we're currently more regressively conservative than we were post-Bush. Without a major war, disaster or depression we aren't getting a supermajority in the Senate.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I never thought we would have a black president in my life time, so there is hope :)

Xe4

Banned

People couldn't be more pissed at Republicans than they were in '08 (at least if you're only counting since FDR was elected). And even then, it didn't matter. Healthcare reform is popular until people actually try to achieve it. Just look at Obamacare to see an example of that. Plus, they'll have to gut the filibuster to get it passed, and even if a super majority does form, Republicans can just kill the public option via reconciliation.

Have you been, like, paying no attention whatsoever to what has been happening? Basically since the GOP started their efforts on healthcare it's been nothing but outrage from both sides. GOP reps have stopped taking calls, stopped doing town halls, and done the process in the most cowardly, obscuring way because of the backlash this has produced.

Forgive people for being pessimistic tonight. I've certainly been paying attention, which is why I'm worn out. My faith in people is pretty shook in general and that'll be for a while.

Single-payer has no chance the same way same-sex marriage had no chance back in the mid-2000's. Maybe this whole effort will be like Prop 8 in California-igniting general outrage that leads to swift change for the better in a few years.

sphagnum

Banned

The party is more left wing now than it was then, and I think if there's one thing that will finally force Millennials to the polls it's probably something like this. Bernie laid the groundwork and pretty much all of the 2020 potential candidates have all been coming out for MFA. Theres way more support for it more than there was in 2008 and a significant portion of Americans now consider healthcare to be something the government needs to guarantee.

Not gonna happen. The only time dems pick up like they did in '08 is a shitty R president & a recession. Plus, unlike Obamacare, a public option would face heavy lobbying against it and republicans would repeal it anyways, because they don't give a shit about making people uninsured.

A. Trump
B. I would be stunned if we are not in recession before 2020.

It doesn't matter man. You actually think public opinion on this matters? If public opinion mattered on this we wouldn't have Trump. People didn't vote Trump because of the ACA, hell his own voters said they voted for him but never actually believed he meant that he was gonna take it away.

Guess what happens next time, they will still pull the R lever cause X, Y, Z.

Single-payer has no chance the same way same-sex marriage had no chance back in the mid-2000's. Maybe this whole effort will be like Prop 8 in California-igniting general outrage that leads to swift change for the better in a few years.

People bring this up but it is completely and utterly different. Same-sex marriage had numerous constitutional challenges, you aren't going to get people suing to get single payer. It would actually be the opposite.

Shauni

Yeah, I'm not as cynical as many here, but I've come to the same unfortunate conclusion about single payer in America: it ain't happening, ever, or at least within my lifetime. I think the best hope at this point is that we'll basically just get another version of Obamacare in the future, and since maybe a black man won't pass it the GOP will leave it alone, or at least not gut it like this. Which is better than nothing, I guess.

StoOgE

I never thought we would have a black president in my life time, so there is hope :)

Look, I want to smoke the hopium. I did back in 06 and 08, but I am a sad drunk middle aged man now hoping against hope that everything I fought for over the last 15 years isn't undone tonight.

Y'all shouldn't be so bullish on Flake's reelection chances. He has some of the lowest approval ratings in the country and will be running in a backlash year.

The thing the dems need to do if they take back the three chambers is remove the filibuster and pass a public option or Medicare for all. The republicans have thrown the norms out the window at this point.

sphagnum

Banned
The primary problem, I think, would be if the Dems put up an uninspiring candidate in 2020, or if they fail to flip the Senate (which is quite possible).

Zyae

Dems never had a real supermajority for any real length of time because of the time it took Frankens win to be confirmed and Ted Kennedy being in the hospital and his eventual death.

Shauni

Forgive people for being pessimistic tonight. I've certainly been paying attention, which is why I'm worn out. My faith in people is pretty shook in general and that'll be for a while.

There's pessimism and then there's just making statements that are factually inaccurate.

Yeah I'm not hopeful. Y'all thought Texas had the worst Senators.

Let's not get carried away. Ted Cruz is like a fusion of three-four GOP Senators at once. He's just such a joke he's never going to get anything done

StoOgE

God.

I remember the day watching the other end of this and crying when it passed out of joy.

Fuck me this hurts.

mreddie

Y'all shouldn't be so bullish on Flake's reelection chances. He has some of the lowest approval ratings in the country and will be running in a backlash year.

Last year made me cynical as fuck and all I need to hear is "TRUMP ENDORSES X OVER FLAKE" to see that vote won't matter for shit.

Xe4

Banned
Which do ya'll think is more unlikely (talking from how we thought/think): this failing to pass, or Trump winning. I was pretty sure neither was going to happen, but you never know.

(FYI, I'm pretty sure this is going to pass).

Top Bottom