• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The primary problem, I think, would be if the Dems put up an uninspiring candidate in 2020, or if they fail to flip the Senate (which is quite possible).

Possible? The map to flip the Senate is not great. A flip is a hail Mary.

Shauni

The primary problem, I think, would be if the Dems put up an uninspiring candidate in 2020, or if they fail to flip the Senate (which is quite possible).

There is almost no chance they flip the Senate next year. It would have to take a wave among all waves to do so. I just can't see it, honestly.

Xe4

Banned
Which means a competent Republican probably still wins by 6-10 points. Arizona is like Texas in that while it may turn blue eventually, we're not getting there anytime soon.

I mean, Manchin won in WV. Nothing's impossible. It depends on a whole lot of things, honestly.

Kusagari

The problem is that even in a peak scenario where we sweep Cruz, Flake, Heller I could still see Donnelly or McCaskill losing.

The margin for error is nonexistent.

sphagnum

Banned
Also Dems need to stop being incrementalists and just go nuts when they have power. Pass as mich shit as possible, make it as radical as possible so that it's harder to tear down.

Presidents always take a hit in the midterms anyway so just expect it and try to shove aa much through at once as possible, then defend defend defend.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Simon Maloy‏ @SimonMaloy

is it too much to ask for Republican senators to sneak a quick Benghazi hearing in before the health care vote

btrboyev

I just go back to each and every one of you that numerous times said the republican plan to repeal was dead and I shake my head.

Lowmelody

Not here for me, my mom. Her cancer treatments were paid for through the ACA. She got in a car accident tonight. She's OK, just waiting on scans results. The ACA is really important to our family.

Damn thats awful. I hope the scans come back clear!

I was never able to get on it in the first place because of MO not expanding medicaid so I was always fucked. lol

Possible? The map to flip the Senate is not great. A flip is a hail Mary.

Assuming the whole post is about 2020, the Dems have a decent chance since the split flips from 2018. Lots of anti-Obamacare Tea Partiers won in purple/blue states in 2014. Like Cory Gardner.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Also Dems need to stop being incrementalists and just go nuts when they have power. Pass as mich shit as possible, make it as radical as possible so that it's harder to tear down.

Presidents always take a hit in the midterms anyway so just expect it and try to shove aa much through at once as possible, then defend defend defend.

If the GOP are gonna call us radicals anyway, might as well own up to it proudly.

Xe4

Banned

Defending doesn't work though. Republicans don't give a shit about people. If we were to pass a single payer healthcare system somehow, Republicans would just tear it down through reconciliation (or just regular, since dems would have to kill the filibuster), and fuck the consequences. It's what's happening right now.

I don't see any movements forward which won't just be immediately moved back by republicans.

Iolo

Here is the problem, Dems have to spend so much capital fixing Rep fuckups there's not much left for real work. There was just enough left to get ACA over the hump after auto bailouts and stimulus

Shauni

Even the House will be hard, and that's with all House seats up for grabs.

I think the House is very possible to flip. The majority has stayed so slim even with the gerrymandering issues that it doesn't feel like that much of a long shot. The Senate map is just dire.

theWB27

I just go back to each and every one of you that numerous times said the republican plan to repeal was dead and I shake my head.

I don't know....maybe you should keep that smh directed at the GOP since they don't listen to GAF. People continually find ways to shift a little blame and anger away from the party doing the damage.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I like how you didn't even bother to take a moment to research what this actually is because you so desperately wanted to try and get an, "I told you so!" out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At least there isn't the clear giddiness in the conservative atmosphere like there was when it passed the house.

Though that could just be all these old men staying up past their bedtime.

btrboyev

People are going to die, and you want this to be your contribution to this thread?

I've made multiple contributions to the thread. Now I'm angry and speaking up to some of the people here who failed to see how Republicans was I'll do pretty much anything to win. Time and time again.

And yes, I don't need to be told that this isn't a repeal. But the entire goal was to remove the ACA and destroy it. Repeal or not, this is the end of it.

It's gonna be hard going to bed after this is all done :/

Yep, luckily I still have a week off before going back to work. I don't have to face my students in despair like I did after Trump was elected. I don't have to field questions about being deported or what is gonna happen to mom, dad, or my grandparents.

90% of it IS dead. The Medicaid cuts, the tax cuts for the rich - the ugly core of what they were trying to do got stopped cold.

Conservatives are outraged because this plan only trims around the edges and ultimately hurts the private insurance market while leaving the government side intact. What we're getting was probably the best case scenario under a Republican president (and I think a president Rubio or Bush etc could have pushed through something much further to the right - a lot of lives were saved by Trump having no fucking idea what he's doing).

Shauni

Multiple repeals have failed, multiple bills have failed. No one gives a fuck about your gotcha shit right now, find another time and place for that.

theWB27

I've made multiple contributions to the thread. Now I'm angry and speaking up to some of the people here who failed to see how Republicans was I'll do pretty much anything to win. Time and time again.

And you should continue to keep that anger...all of it...directed at the party who actually make a difference in something passing. Not a person here is making a vote. You sound silly.

According to Nate Silver, Tweets about McCain's body language mean that betting markets have the odds of passage fluctuating between 60-75%.

JABEE

How does a human being think, let's not repeal in full, let's just pull out all its funding and destroy the system currently in place?

They want to repeal and do absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom