• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

aeolist

Banned
Honestly, I'm not sure that'll work. If the system is destroyed instead of crippled, people will be more receptive to radical fixes, i.e., single payer.
dems don't want to pass single payer though

people hate what republicans are doing but the opposition isn't credible

btrboyev

Which will not work, because the Republicans are the ones in charge. The polling on that is clear. Republicans will own whatever happens.

Moreover, the GOP is ideologically incapable of coming up with any plausible fixes for the system.

Because they are fundamentally against the government being involved in any assistance to help people. In any way. Why poor people vote for them is crazy to me.

Shauni

If they do this people will be begging Republicans to pass any healthcare bill they come with. Then Republicans can blame Democrats if they oppose it.

They blame the Dems, people demand a new system, Reps make it and take credit for it

Lol, if that was the endgame, they would have just made a workable system to begin with. That's not what this about, it's never been what it's about. They don't want a universal healthcare system, and if they have to do it, it's what Obamacare already is, but it was passed by a black man, so they can't let it stand. That's what it's about, that's what it's always been about.

Alright

So like, you hate democrats and that's cool or whatever

But Republicans are trying to take away healthcare from 20 million people, so maybe it's not quite the right time to be playing this both sides are the same everyone is terrible nonsense right now

shem935

Banned
Alright

So like, you hate democrats and that's cool or whatever

But Republicans are trying to take away healthcare from 20 million people, so maybe it's not quite the right time to be playing this both sides are the same everyone is terrible nonsense right now

Gotta get it in, fill that quota no matter the time or place.

kirblar

Because there are multiple viable methods of providing Universal Healthcare to all citizens that aren't jumping immediately to Single Payer and blowing up the economy in the process like the GOP is trying to do!

Single payer and Universal Healthcare are not synonyms!

btrboyev

Realistically though single payer would be a nightmare to do in the US. It's true. Our systems and hospitals are not equipped.

It would take a decade or more of transition to do and it would hurt.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

On the bright side, the few democratic controlled states could pass their own mandate to keep their exchanges from collapses I think

platocplx

Lol, if that was the endgame, they would have just made a workable system to begin with. That's not what this about, it's never been what it's about. They don't want a universal healthcare system, and if they have to do it, it's what Obamacare already is, but it was passed by a black man, so they can't let it stand. That's what it's about, that's what it's always been about.

Yep. It's always been about spitting in the face of anyone non white and straight. It's like every time there is progress for any minority or underrepresented demographic. The most privileged back lash in emotional irrational ways because they feel like making thing equal and just is oppression. This is the damn near nightmare scenario. I am honestly sick of this country.

Shauni

dems don't want to pass universal healthcare though

Just ten-fiftten years ago, you could have made this same statement and been just as apt. But, here we are. When they had all chambers of government, they worked against a lot of odds to pass some, albeit flawed, form of it. When the GOP had, they worked hard to take it away.

Everyone knows you're just a worry troll, Bernie Bro pushing poster who is full of shit, so it does no good to reply to you, but no one wants your both sides bullshit right now. Save it for another thread, let us discuss this properly. Please.

btrboyev

It's amazing to me, as huge as this had been going on for months now, that there hasn't been a mass march in Washington about healthcare. I know there have been plenty of protests, but it would have been amazing to see something the size of the women's march in this case.

Saganator

I was pretty surprised to see this on Cory Gardner's Twitter page

fwnq66D.png

Could you even pass single payer and ensure a democrat president long enough to keep it from being repealed before its fully implemented. I really don't think you could.

All you would do is wreak havoc on the stock market for the near future.

Macam

Banned
As someone who has worked in politics, you sound like a crazy.

Yup, because crazy sounding people clearly have no influence on politicians, which is why one of the two major parties pretty much controls the entire legislative and executive branches.

Good point.

btrboyev

Could you even pass single payer and ensure a democrat president long enough to ensure it isn't repealed before its fully implemented. I really don't think you could.

No. Would be in the same boat we are unless politics change drastically and the parties start working together for the people.

That is never ever going to happen again.

kirblar

Could you even pass single payer and ensure a democrat president long enough to ensure it isn't repealed before its fully implemented. I really don't think you could.
You would almost certainly be kicked out of office in the wake of the recession you'd cause implementing it if trying to do it out of the current state of the US economy.

You can conceivably get to it, but you have to do it in giant steps. The public option being the first along w/ true universal coverage.

OH MY GOD! SOMEONE PICKED UP AND HUNG UP ON ME WHEN I CALLED BENNETS OFFICE.

Holy shit. Well at least I sent that piece of shit Gardner the message I posted in this thread.

BriGuy

Good, and I hope they are scared.
They're not. Your fax will get fed into the shredder with a thousand others while your senators indulge in Trump's latest beer bender in the Rose garden.

Putin won. I have no faith in the American government or democracy at this point, and I'm more or less stuck in this sinking ship of a country against my will.

Shauni

It's amazing to me, as huge as this had been going on for months now, that there hasn't been a mass march in Washington about healthcare. I know there have been plenty of protests, but it would have been amazing to see something the size of the women's march in this case.

There's not been one big mass march, but there's been a lot of small scale marches and sit-ins in government offices over the last month or so, actually. A lot of disabled protesters have gotten dragged out of governmental offices over that time period. There's just not much coverage of that stuff unless it's a big scale march like the Women's March.

charpunk

Well can’t wait to be totally fucked when I can’t afford the medicine I need to live.

It’s cool all. Rich need more money, fuck me right?

btrboyev

There's not been one big mass march, but there's been a lot of small scale marches and sit-ins in government offices over the last month or so, actually. A lot of disabled protesters have gotten dragged out of governmental offices over that time period. There's just not much coverage of that stuff unless it's a big scale march like the Women's March.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

They're not. Your fax will get fed into the shredder with a thousand others while your senators indulge in Trump's latest beer bender in the Rose garden.

Putin won. I have no faith in the American government or democracy at this point, and I'm more or less stuck in this sinking ship of a country against my will.

Yeah but it felt good sending it.

I mean I have no faith either, this is the end of the world fellas, drink and smoke'em while you got them. The Orwellian hellhole will probably be a nuclear crater soon because just look at the atomic clock and the state of the world.

aeolist

Banned
medicaid and medicare have lasted for decades and even now are too politically important for the gop to touch

obamacare won't even have lasted 10 years

good universal programs are popular enough to last, incremental "pragmatic" shit like the aca will never be well enough liked to scare off conservatives so they'll always get dismantled in the end

The movement towards single-payer has taken huge steps in the last few months. Way more people support the idea now than before the election. Give it time, especially if people hate the GOP "repeal" results.

538's Liveblog seems to think that McConnell has the 50 since they doubt anyone will step up and be the third to kill it, though it is still unclear whether it passes the Byrd Rule.

You'd have to write the bill to be effective in full by the next plan year. It would likely mean nuking the legislative filibuster to get it done. No more 3-4 year rollout plan. It will be ripping off a hell of a band aid, but the private market has had long enough to play nice.

Maybe make another bill that addresses the mass job loss in the insurance arena.

brian577

Banned
Yeah but it felt good sending it.

I mean I have no faith either, this is the end of the world fellas, drink and smoke'em while you got them. The Orwellian hellhole will probably be a nuclear crater soon because just look at the atomic clock and the state of the world.

I'm trying to follow this shit but it's a little hard when people give in to hysterics like this.

Xe4

Banned
Is there any way a democrat can filibuster the old fashioned way? AKA, get up and talk for a long ass while? Because this bill is some bullshit. 8 fucking pages, what a fucking joke. I passed better, more complete bills in mock government sessions in high school.
If not, this thing is almost guaranteed to pass. The only thing that could possibly stop it is senate rules.

You sure love throwing the word Orwellian around like that correctly sums up this whole fiasco.

I read 1984 and I can't even compare what's happening right now to that.

Right now "The Party" is essentially in a panic parade just to get this out there and done and over with. This isn't meticulous tactics, it's an act of desperation in attempt to get something done and not caring at all what the consequences will be!

Shauni

Is there any way a democrat can filibuster the old fashioned way? AKA, get up and talk for a long ass while? Because this bill is some bullshit. 8 fucking pages, what a fucking joke. I passed better, more complete bills in mock government sessions in high school.

If it can pass reconciliation, no. But if it doesn't, the bill is either dead because not a single Democrat will vote for it, much less 8, or they are going to nuke the filibuster and the option will be gone, period.

Beartruck

I still don't understand how this bill can pass. They added back in a bunch of shit that violates the byrd rule, so it should be DOA right?

Jenov

Senator Hirono giving a moving speech about her own cancer illness and need for healthcare.

Now Tim Kaine is talking.

charpunk

I still don't understand how this bill can pass. They added back in a bunch of shit that violates the byrd rule, so it should be DOA right?

Because they don’t give a shit about anything other than fucking people over just for the sake of not hearing the man baby and killing whatever else of obama’s legacy is left.

Shauni

Yes, unless they nuke the filibuster

OMFG have they really enacted "martial law" to get this passed? Im about to have a panic attack!

Huh? I think you are confusing something. Martial Law is, uh, not this or anything related this.

antonz

OMFG have they really enacted "martial law" to get this passed? Im about to have a panic attack!

The House is "promising" not to just automatically vote on it. Of course that means nothing as some of the Senators have stated. There is no legal obligation to hold to the committee process

Xe4

Banned
If it can pass reconciliation, no. But if it doesn't, the bill is either dead because not a single Democrat will vote for it, much less 8, or they are going to nuke the filibuster and the option will be gone, period.

Well, reconciliation can kill filibuster as far as needing 60 votes, but I can't thing of anything that keeps a democrat just going on and on in a speech. It's not even clear that this can pass reconciliation. I'd like to hear what McDonough thinks.

Top Bottom