• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

Dierce

I feel as if republicans want the healthcare system to collapse so badly that they will force Democrats to vote for whatever crap they come up with as a 'solution' or use the chaos as a justifications to get rid of the filibuster.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Alice Ollstein‏ @AliceOllstein

To sum it up: Repubs are voting at midnight on a bill they wrote at lunch and unveiled at 10 p.m. Most hope it never becomes law. Democracy!

I'm sorry, but what? Fucking GOP.

antonz

Yes, unless they nuke the filibuster

Huh? I think you are confusing something. Martial Law is, uh, not this or anything related this.

The House implemented Martial Law in the congressional Sense. It allows them to call a vote without any prior notice. AKA they can ram the senate bill through without committee etc

Xe4

Banned

To sum it up: Repubs are voting at midnight on a bill they wrote at lunch and unveiled at 10 p.m. Most hope it never becomes law. Democracy!

IT'S 8 FUCKING PAGES.
The GOP is a fucking joke. This shit wouldn't be acceptable in a college government class, but the highest legislators in the land think it's A-OK.

kevin1025

Banned

Lunch napkins are the new health care bill. What could possibly go wrong?!

Shauni

The House implemented Martial Law in the congressional Sense. It allows them to call a vote without any prior notice. AKA they can ram the senate bill through without committee etc

Oh, okay, never heard that term used in that sense then.

You sure love throwing the word Orwellian around like that correctly sums up this whole fiasco.

I read 1984 and I can't even compare what's happening right now to that.

Right now "The Party" is essentially in a panic parade just to get this out there and done and over with. This isn't meticulous tactics, it's an act of desperation in attempt to get something done and not caring at all what the consequences will be!

That's because you missed the point of the book, and you also haven't read the other dystopian fiction novels that apply, Orwellian is often used to describe anything distinctly like 1984, books written after Orwells original, like Fahrenheit or even quite a few years before with Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. These three novels provide an overwhelmingly accurate picture of the current state of politics and society in ways that are both surface level and deeper.

Mass misinformation, information control, being watched and monitored 24/7, trusting nothing but the Party. Fahrenheit's institutional racism, Huxley's world of constant distraction and manipulation by large corporations and media and the rich elite.

We are dealing with these issues ever since the modern era started, technology only hastened the effect.

Places like 4chan had a huge effect on a large subset of people and pop culture much to my chagrin and disdain. They too, fall into their own little orwellian cult.

theWB27

I feel as if republicans want the healthcare system to collapse so badly that they will force Democrats to vote for whatever crap they come up with as a 'solution' or use the chaos as a justifications to get rid of the filibuster.

People keep bringing up dems but they have nothing to do with this and the gop can't force them to work on something they can't influence at all.

I wish people would stop that. Everything happening is purely gop bullshit... full stop.

mjp2417

Banned

They literally convened a press conference 5 hours ago for the sole purpose of declaring the bill a total disaster...and then voted Y on it. It is utter fucking madness.

That's because you missed the point of the book, and you also haven't read the other dystopian fiction novels that apply, Orwellian is often used to describe anything distinctly like 1984, books written after Orwells original, like Fahrenheit or even quite a few years before with Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. These three novels provide an overwhelmingly accurate picture of the current state of politics and society in ways that are both surface level and deeper.

Mass misinformation, information control, being watched and monitored 24/7, trusting nothing but the Party. Fahrenheit's institutional racism, Huxley's world of constant distraction and manipulation by large corporations and media and the rich elite.

We are dealing with these issues ever since the modern era started, technology only hastened the effect.

Places like 4chan had a huge effect on a large subset of people and pop culture much to my chagrin and disdain. They too, fall into their own little orwellian cult.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know about those parts of the book.

I was just pointing out that unlike in the book, where the Party comes off as threatening and menacing, the guys in reality just come off as confused, crazy old lunatics that are so desperate to make bad choices.

So is this a game to see who eats the blame for failing to get a replacement or are they rushing this because somehow they can still work on tax reform?

Shauni

People keep bringing up dems but they have nothing to do with this and the gop can't force them to work on something they can't influence at all.

I wish people would stop that. Everything happening is purely gop bullshit... full stop.

Yeah, it's beyond silly to be honest. It doesn't even make sense lol. They won't revisit healthcare after this passes, they're moving on to tax reform.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Associated Press‏ @AP

BREAKING: Congressional Budget Office says 16 million more uninsured would result from GOP's pared-down health care bill.

Afrodium

Banned
How did the CBO score this so quickly? Were people working overtime to make sure this got out before it was put to a vote?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

BREAKING: Congressional Budget Office says 16 million more uninsured would result from GOP's pared-down health care bill.

Wish we could find out how much it would cost the economy too.

Fuckers only care about money.

Xe4

Banned
So now its like 40 mil?

Next year alone, 15 million loose health insurance, and premiums go up 20%. It's far quicker than any other bills they've recommended. It's why the senate doesn't want this to pass the house (lol). Republicans will be fucked come 2018 if this is what passes.

MechaX

CBO working overtime, and yet most people will be asleep by the time this gets ready to vote, assuming it's not on Fri morning.

Sweet Jesus

Edit: Just saw this hit CNN. 43 million?! GOOOOOD DAMMMN

So CBO says this would save 280 Billion by eliminating the mandates. That is more than I thought it would provide and does counter the tax revenue decrease. So this has a possibility of needing only 50.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
How did the CBO score this so quickly? Were people working overtime to make sure this got out before it was put to a vote?

I'm guessing they already had an idea of what the bill would be and had the calculations all ready to go.

They probably have a formula where they can plug in different aspects and flavors of repeal the Senate keeps threatening.

soco

Presumably republicans are just slightly changing things, so it's probably as simple adjusting a few numbers or removing them.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
So I am seeing this as the people earlier saying that they will vote yes for the skinny bill but begging for the house to not pass it until the have a conference on it. They want to just save face and know that it is getting pushed through.

I hate politics

antonz

So CBO says this would save 280 Billion by eliminating the mandates. That is more than I thought it would provide and does counter the tax revenue decrease. So this has a possibility of needing only 50.

Its always only needed 50. That is the whole point of the Skinny Repeal. They already announced Pence will be arriving in awhile to be there to cast the 51st vote if needed.

Xe4

Banned

It was always going to meet the budgetary requirements because of cuts to medicaid. It's the other stuff like the Planned Parenthood shit that is going to get in the bills way, if anything.

RoKKeR

They are voting on this tonight? This "skinny repeal" that means ??? and has zero people arguing the merits of?

This is just so ridiculous.

IT'S 8 FUCKING PAGES.
The GOP is a fucking joke. This shit wouldn't be acceptable in a college government class, but the highest legislators in the land think it's A-OK.

Lunch napkins are the new health care bill. What could possibly go wrong?!

This.

They are voting on this tonight? This "skinny repeal" that means ??? and has zero people arguing the merits of?

This is just so ridiculous.

Yeah, it's fucking insane.

theWB27

Yeah, it's beyond silly to be honest. It doesn't even make sense lol. They won't revisit healthcare after this passes, they're moving on to tax reform.

I mean really. I can't picture a scenario where the gop would force a party to vote on something they're vehemently against on top of not needing a single vote from them. Bringing dems into this is purely a but dems statement... no matter how you word it.

Shauni

Wasn't the big thing about defunding Planned Parenthood in relation to that?

Xe4

Banned
Chances are pretty good this passes the senate tonight, guys. No republican wants to step up to the plate to be #3. They'll be tarred and feathered for "saving Obamacare". Keep fighting, but don't hope for a miracle and don't be surprised when it happens.

Its always only needed 50. That is the whole point of the Skinny Repeal. They already announced Pence will be arriving in awhile to be there to cast the 51st vote if needed.

That is not correct due to the Byrd Rule and how the CBO influences that part of the rule. Some of the provisions like the waivers could also be against the Byrd rule.

It was always going to meet the budgetary requirements because of cuts to medicaid. It's the other stuff like the Planned Parenthood shit that is going to get in the bills way, if anything.

There are no cuts to medicaid in this bill.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Trying to sneak this healthcare bill through at midnight is like when you were a kid and you asked your mom if you could go to a friend's house and she's like yeah sure, and when you are halfway out the door you were like "oh, btw that friend is a girl's house and her parents aren't home... bye!" and shut the door.

This whole thing from start to finish is just another embarrassment for our nation.

I wrote to my two hapless GOP Senators who are fucking awful human beings. It was as easy as this.

#VoteNo on #SkinnyRepeal.

Because frankly there isn't time to write the dingbats a letter. I only get form responses in return that tell me they HAD TO DO IT because Obama.

Sean C

medicaid and medicare have lasted for decades and even now are too politically important for the gop to touch

obamacare won't even have lasted 10 years

good universal programs are popular enough to last, incremental "pragmatic" shit like the aca will never be well enough liked to scare off conservatives so they'll always get dismantled in the end
Medicare and Medicaid were passed before the New Deal coalition disintegrated.

Xe4

Banned
There are no cuts to medicaid in this bill.

As people are forced out of the exchanges, they'll be forced out of the medicaid expansion, therefore medicaid will save money. That (as far as I know) is how the bill is going to reduce the deficit, thus meeting budgetary requirements.

Joeku

Sorry, where is the 43 million number coming from? 43 million lose healthcare by 26 if this bill passes?

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/890773044217745408

JUST POSTED - new CBO score

Under current law: 26M uninsured next year

Under GOP plan: 42M uninsured next year

DFypW1MUwAAxNvP.jpg

RoKKeR

This.

Yeah, it's fucking insane.
It's beyond belief. We've yet to hear a single panel of industry experts on ANY of the plans, have seen no public hearings, and best if all wasted all of our time pouring through plans that were tossed in favor of whatever it is they are going to jam through tonight.

Blood is fucking boiling with this smug son of a bitch from Wyoming speaking on the floor now.

Will make sure EVERYONE I know remembers this shit for YEARS to come. You gon get yours, Republicans.

Top Bottom