• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S3 |OT| Available now on Netflix! - *Spoilers for all of S3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed with the general logic. I just think they could have done a better job with her epiphany, as it were. Nevertheless, I still think Frank's rant had a ton of truth to it. Sure, he was a dickhead about things when he didn't have to be at a few points, but he wasn't wrong. There's only one chair. He forced her down everyone's throat as Ambassador with an overreach, and her failure there wasn't Frank's fault; he didn't throw her under the bus the way he did to others, and in fact gave her every benefit of the doubt within reason. And now by leaving, she's potentially pissing away the rest of her political career. (Unless she has some sort of elaborate plot in mind to avoid that fate.. but that's not really how they portrayed what was going on inside her head.)

She's just trying to hedge her bets. She was initially wary of Frank's ability to overcome the odds and win a Presidential term in his own right and, after realizing that Frank can no longer realistically help her achieve her goals with her (as opposed to simply handing them to her), she realizes she has to leave him.

I think she just failed to realize the disparity in their relationship that would occur once Frank become President. When Frank was a Congressman, they were more or less equals in terms of prestige, him steering Congress and her steering her major NGO (and both effectively steering policy). Now that the disparity is so evident to her, she realizes she has to take a step away from Frank's shadow in order to begin to achieve for herself again. I don't think it's personal, it's just what's best for her, which is (mostly) what Frank has been all about himself.

Claire leaving could mean pissing away her career, or it could indicate a major reversal of fortune for her. In leaving Frank, she's basically tossing the dice like Frank did in Season One. Maybe she's already formulated a grand scheme to rival Frank's own machinations. By leaving, she might be proving herself more ruthless than Frank himself in due time.

prag16

Banned
She's just trying to hedge her bets. She was initially wary of Frank's ability to overcome the odds and win a Presidential term in his own right and, after realizing that Frank can no longer realistically help her achieve her goals with her (as opposed to simply handing them to her), she realizes she has to leave him.

I think she just failed to realize the disparity in their relationship that would occur once Frank become President. When Frank was a Congressman, they were more or less equals in terms of prestige, him steering Congress and her steering her major NGO (and both effectively steering policy). Now that the disparity is so evident to her, she realizes she has to take a step away from Frank's shadow in order to begin to achieve for herself again. I don't think it's personal, it's just what's best for her, which is (mostly) what Frank has been all about himself.

Claire leaving could mean pissing away her career, or it could indicate a major reversal of fortune for her. In leaving Frank, she's basically tossing the dice like Frank did in Season One. Maybe she's already formulated a grand scheme to rival Frank's own machinations. By leaving, she might be proving herself more ruthless than Frank himself in due time.

Eh. I'm more inclined to agree with the guy above (not so much his entire post, but the part about
Claire's betrayal
:

Frank gave her every opportunity to succeed, and she failed. She wanted more and wasn't satisfied, so she walks out on her husband of 30 years, the freaking President of the United States, in the middle of a heated campaign - when, two episodes ago (~5 weeks in the timeline of the plot) she was happily campaigning with him and had just renewed her vows. It just wasn't at all believable.

As for your last paragraph, I don't know about that. She isn't seemingly leaving because she's ruthless. The catalyst for all the wavering in the first place was that she had seemingly grown a conscience. If that was all a ruse and part of groundwork she was laying to later screw Frank and take all the power for herself... Well maybe they'll do something like what you said, but it would feel like a retcon of how they presented her in season 3.

JCX

Not a huge fan of the series anymore.

Disappointed that Stamper is still alive. I really hoped this season would begin Frank's downfall, but nothing really changed.

- Stamper is still a henchman, spending the whole season trying to get back in daddy Underwood's good graces.

- Sure Frank's policies largely failed, but policies were never his goal, he just wants the office. Now he wins the Iowa caucus even after Sharp endorsed Dunbar

- WTF with Mendoza's sudden departure. I hope that pays off next season in some way. I almost thought i had skipped an episode when I heard that

- Claire and Sharp were the only ones to make some sort of move against Frank.

Petrov/Putin and Dunbar/Warren were fun additions. I really enjoyed the two summit episodes and the debate episode.

Question about Claire's job up to Episode 5

What was her job before she ran for ambassador for the UN this season? I thought she failed to get the necessary amount of votes from the Senate? How is she still negotiating peace talks within the UN?

JCX

Question about Claire's job up to Episode 5

What was her job before she ran for ambassador for the UN this season? I thought she failed to get the necessary amount of votes from the Senate? How is she still negotiating peace talks within the UN?

She used to work at a non profit. Frank used a Recess Appointment to select her anyway

So Frank will have Claire killed next season. Maybe she'll see it coming and they will have some sort of goodbye before she's offed. My predictions for next season.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Not a huge fan of the series anymore.

Disappointed that Stamper is still alive. I really hoped this season would begin Frank's downfall, but nothing really changed.

I don't see how you can't view this as the beginning of his downfall. His presidency has been largely ineffectual and marred with controversy.

- Sure Frank's policies largely failed, but policies were never his goal, he just wants the office. Now he wins the Iowa caucus even after Sharp endorsed Dunbar
His policies were important. He wants his presidency to be successful and have a lasting legacy. It's not like all his Machiavellian shenanigans was just so he can be a lame duck President. Winning Iowa is really his only win this season. (Unless you also count getting Stamper back and him telling Dunbar to fuck off.)

someday

Banned
I don't see how you can't view this as the beginning of his downfall. His presidency has been largely ineffectual and marred with controversy.

His policies were important. He wants his presidency to be successful and have a lasting legacy. It's not like all his Machiavellian shenanigans was just so he can be a lame duck President. Winning Iowa is really his only win this season. (Unless you also count getting Stamper back and him telling Dunbar to fuck off.)
It would have been more of a downfall if he had lost Iowa.

What I didn't understand in Episode 13 was
Doug being re-appointed Chief of Staff only to disappear to Venezuela (thanks enanogrande), followed by at least a couple days in a remote portion of the US. He had to have been MIA for at least a few days, all during an important primary battle. Wouldn't that have raised several eyebrows all over the White House? I know he hadn't been officially named as Chief of Staff, but word was getting out throughout the White House.

Was not expecting my hometown to be featured in House of Cards, was legit shook when I saw "Puerto la Cruz" was
the place Gavin was hiding out at.

What I didn't understand in Episode 13 was
Doug being re-appointed Chief of Staff only to disappear to Argentina,

Dude.

Dude.

Venezuela. XD

Was not expecting my hometown to be featured in House of Cards, was legit shook when I saw "Puerto la Cruz" was
the place Gavin was hiding out at.

Dude.

Dude.

Venezuela. XD

Oof. Sorry about that. :( I had a feeling I might have been incorrect when I was writing that post, since it was late at night when I watched Episode 13 and my mind was getting hazy, but I was too lazy to rewatch the episode to double-check the country Gavin was hiding out in.

Oof. Sorry about that. :( I had a feeling I might have been incorrect when I was writing that post, since it was late at night when I watched Episode 13 and my mind was getting hazy, but I was too lazy to rewatch the episode to double-check the country Gavin was hiding out in.

So I guess you made a...

minor effort
(Today, 07:14 PM)

Haha nah just busting your balls man, It was such a throwaway reference anyways it could have been any country in the world and it wouldn't have changed a damn thing... I'm sure if it didn't happen to be my country I would have forgotten all about it as well!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished episode 6.

God damnit Claire. God freaking damnit. When the hell did you suddenly get a conscience? You are literally the worst ambassador ever.

"Do you want to discuss courage? Because anyone can commit suicide or spout their mouth in front of a camera. but you wanna know what takes real courage? Keeping your mouth shut no matter what you might be feeling, holding it all together when the stakes are this high."

Oof soooo good.

JaMarco

I will say this show has amazing productions values. Every episode is like a mini movie. It makes watching every other TV show feel like shit.

Finished, finally. What a slog that was.

House of Cards has nothing remotely interesting to say about anything. In its first two seasons it was kind of a broad parable about the pursuit of power, but not a particularly insightful one. It was campy fun, though, so I stuck with it. I could excuse its lack of depth because it was just kind of a guilty pleasure.

This show has never been a remotely accurate portrait of Washington, but that didn't used to be a problem because all of that shit was just window dressing. That is, until this season, when AmericaWorks™ and the Jordan Valley and the Iowa Caucus were placed front and center, making it painfully obvious how little this show knows about politics, domestic or global.

Pair that with a bunch of boring character drama where the show tries to humanize characters that we never really wanted to be humanized. I didn't watch two seasons of House of Cards because I empathized with its deplorable cast of characters; I watched it because they're deplorable! That's what makes it fun! Fuck Doug and his stupid brother and his alcoholism. Fuck that shit. I DON'T CARE.

This is what happens when a show has thirteen episodes to fill but very little to accomplish.

kirblar

Finished, finally. What a slog that was.

House of Cards has nothing remotely interesting to say about anything. In its first two seasons it was kind of a broad parable about the pursuit of power, but not a particularly insightful one. It was campy fun, though, so I stuck with it. I could excuse its lack of depth because it was just kind of a guilty pleasure.

This show has never been a remotely accurate portrait of Washington, but that didn't used to be a problem because all of that shit was just window dressing. That is, until this season, when AmericaWorks™ and the Jordan Valley and the Iowa Caucus were placed front and center, making it painfully obvious how little this show knows about politics, domestic or global.

Pair that with a bunch of boring character drama where the show tries to humanize characters that we never really wanted to be humanized. I didn't watch two seasons of House of Cards because I empathized with its deplorable cast of characters; I watched it because they're deplorable! That's what makes it fun! Fuck Doug and his stupid brother and his alcoholism. Fuck that shit. I DON'T CARE.

This is what happens when a show has thirteen episodes to fill but very little to accomplish.
Couldn't agree more. I just started watching the show fast-forwarding through the boring stuff in order to talk about it. It's a very pretty bad show.

TheMan

for those asking about
benito martinez

he left house of cards to star in a different show on abc.

iMax

Just finished!
Slightly disappointed it didn't end with Claire glancing down the camera as she walked off. Would've made the ending just perfect. It should be her show now.

nawwafh

Just finished episode 6.

God damnit Claire. God freaking damnit. When the hell did you suddenly get a conscience? You are literally the worst ambassador ever.

"Do you want to discuss courage? Because anyone can commit suicide or spout their mouth in front of a camera. but you wanna know what takes real courage? Keeping your mouth shut no matter what you might be feeling, holding it all together when the stakes are this high."

Oof soooo good.

The acting at the end of this episode blew me away..

Diablos

Man, the final episode...
I just felt so bad for Rachel when he turned his van around... I fucking HATE Doug Stamper... I wish his character died at the beginning of the season. I hope someone else kills him.

Rachel was trying so hard... and just when you thought he let her go... no.

This season is without a doubt vastly superior to last. 1>3>2

One thing that disturbs me almost: we're wrapped up in Underwood's life, seeing how much of a badass and effective leader that he can be throughout this series... but you are constantly reminded of what an awful human being he is. He's just an awful, awful person

Sami+

Just finished Ep 6.

What the fuck was that. Idk if I'd say it's worse than S2 but that was some stinky shit. S1 still best by far.

Manu

Some final thoughts.
The Doug thing soured me on the whole season. As someone who knows very little about US politics I couldn't care less about inaccuracies on that front (sorry), so I found most of the season entertaining. But wasting so much time on a subplot that should've ended last season and end it so abruptly after doing nothing but HURR DURR RACHEL for 12 episodes was a terrible choice. Doug had no development at all as a character, and the little we saw was a red herring. So they wasted the whole season on something that ultimately didn't pay off. Also, he's a psycho and I hate him. Fuck Doug. /rant

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I'm more inclined to agree with the guy above (not so much his entire post, but the part about
Claire's betrayal
:

As for your last paragraph, I don't know about that. She isn't seemingly leaving because she's ruthless. The catalyst for all the wavering in the first place was that she had seemingly grown a conscience. If that was all a ruse and part of groundwork she was laying to later screw Frank and take all the power for herself... Well maybe they'll do something like what you said, but it would feel like a retcon of how they presented her in season 3.

We still don't know if the reason she left Frank is because she grew a conscious, or because she decided to follow his lead and scheme for herself.

One foreshadowing piece I realized yesterday I think is interesting: the rowing machine.

Frank plotted on the rowing machine through most of Season 1. He plotted the downfalls of world leaders on it.

I don't think it's coincidence that Claire brings it out of storage in the final episode and uses it herself.

duckroll

I've been taking it a bit slow, and mostly avoiding the thread while I took my time watching the episodes, but after 9 episodes I guess I'm interested in a little bit of discussion before the final bunch. Not going to use tags since I'll keep my thoughts general if possible.

The first thing that strikes me about this season is how unrealistically comical the narrative has become - and this is not entirely a bad thing, but it is a by-product of it being an adaptation of a political series written with a totally different system in mind, and then being transplanted into the American political system. It mostly worked well for the first two seasons in terms of general narrative because Frank Underwood wasn't the president, but rather he was trying to snake his way into the big job while in positions of power within the party and the presidency office which are not elected positions.

Here in the third season, as a president who was not elected by the people, making unpopular decisions, lying to everyone, continuing his intimidation techniques, and fighting his own party as well as the opposition is just too implausible to take seriously as a political drama. There was a lot of bullshit in the second season too, but here I feel it goes right into comic territory, which brings me to an important point - I think this is a GOOD thing for the show.

I was mostly pretty down on the second season. I liked a lot of the Claire stuff, but the fight between Underwood, Feng, and Tusk, all the while trying to sabotage President Walker was really badly handled and just came off as stupid. I feel having Tusk as a "big bad" was a poor direction for the storyline. In contrast, this season feels much more confident in just being a dark fantasy version of a political drama, and comes off as being way less pretentious to me. A lot of it is just entertaining, even when it's nonsensical in terms of realism.

I also like the most of the events of the season thus far are mostly Frank dealing with things which are beyond his control, and trying to mitigate damage, rather than using his superhuman manipulation techniques to outsmart everyone else to accomplish his goals. Part of it is probably due to the fact that the "goal" for this season is simply to survive.

Still a far cry from the first season, but so far way more enjoyable than the second season. It did start pretty rough though. The first few episodes were not promising at all. Things only got fun when
shit hit the fan with Russia. Lol.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Season 2 and 3 really lack the human touch of Russo. His character grounded the drama and gave a human heart to the piece amongst a bunch of cynical and evil characters. With just misanthropes and assholes it becomes very hard to get invested.

Cramoss

Yeah, just watched 3 seasons in a row. This one wasn't bad, but neither was good so yeah, we'll see where it goes.

Season 1 is still the king.

Season 2 and 3 really lack the human touch of Russo. His character grounded the drama and gave a human heart to the piece amongst a bunch of cynical and evil characters. With just misanthropes and assholes it becomes very hard to get invested.

Walker wasn't cynical or evil...the two people he trusted screwed him over completely.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Walker wasn't cynical or evil...the two people he trusted screwed him over completely.

True, but he was a badly-written character that was barely more than a plot device. I had a lot of sympathy for him, but there wasn't much there. He was a means to Frank achieving the presidency.

duckroll

Walker is one of the weakest limp dick presidents in a political series or movie ever. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who barely seemed competent enough to be in office.

BIGWORM

Just finished Season 3. I'm not sure what to say. Like others in this thread, I agree with a couple of subplots being subpar,
namely the Tom and Rachel subplots.

Ambassador Claire was something doomed to fail. She got way in over her head, and Russia played that perfectly.

Was fun to see Dunbar play innocent in the beginning, then bare her claws towards the end.

I was thinking, like most, that yay, Doug grew a conscious. Then he turned the van around...=/. The pacing on that subplot was abysmally slow, then went into "Wrap it up" mode in the last episode? Maybe the writers shouldn't have written in Stamper recovering/helping Dunbar to help Frank and just had him solely concentrated on finding Rachel the whole time. Weird, weird pacing.

Tom's plot was meh. I mean, yeah, he was there to support the AmWorks plot, and could arguably be one of the reasons why Claire left Frank at the end. Him messing around with Kate was pointless, unless him going to her with the juicy bits towards the end is going to amount to something in season 4.

I think the only lasting and impressionable thing this season was Petrov.

E the Shaggy

The most outlandish thing about this season is really
Frank even thinking of touching Social Security/Medicare. That's essential to a politician committing suicide by killing the Senior Citizen votes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The most outlandish thing about this season is really
Frank even thinking of touching Social Security/Medicare. That's essential to a politician committing suicide by killing the Senior Citizen votes.

But this is explicitly mentioned in the show
when he says he knows it's unpopular, but he doesn't give a shit because he isn't running.

E the Shaggy

when he says he knows it's unpopular, but he doesn't give a shit because he isn't running.

Oh I know, I just don't think
he'd have any chance at all of being re-elected taking that stance. The Underwoods wouldn't have even gotten this far.

Oh I know, I just don't think
he'd have any chance at all of being re-elected taking that stance. The Underwoods wouldn't have even gotten this far.

Oh definitely not.

General Season 3 Spoilers:
Frankly, though, I've never really cared whether or not his plans would work in the real world. I've always felt that I can forgive a lot of sins in a work, provided the inaccuracies are in something that the work isn't really about. And, to me, House of Cards isn't really about politics. It's about Frank's and Claire's lust for power. So when the show does something that's completely politically impossible, I am happy to let that go. I don't care about the politics, that's just a setting. And if I have to accept that the show takes place in fictional America, that's fine. It's when there are sins or inaccuracies in the shows core that bother me. So I'm much more bothered by Claire's walking out on Frank than by any political thing that happened. Because I can very easily see a path to President for Claire if she sticks with Francis, but I can't see one for her if she publicly abandons him after failing at a job she only got after Frank put her there when she failed to get it on her own.

So I really don't care at all about AmWorks or the Education Bill from the past, or any of that. Where this season failed was that there was too much Doug/Rachel shit, and that Claire suddenly started behaving in ways that seemed out of character to me.

I am in the minority, though. At least, I think I am in this thread. I still really enjoyed this season. More than Season 2, for sure.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Season 3. I'm not sure what to say. Like others in this thread, I agree with a couple of subplots being subpar,
namely the Tom and Rachel subplots.

Ambassador Claire was something doomed to fail. She got way in over her head, and Russia played that perfectly.

Was fun to see Dunbar play innocent in the beginning, then bare her claws towards the end.

I was thinking, like most, that yay, Doug grew a conscious. Then he turned the van around...=/. The pacing on that subplot was abysmally slow, then went into "Wrap it up" mode in the last episode? Maybe the writers shouldn't have written in Stamper recovering/helping Dunbar to help Frank and just had him solely concentrated on finding Rachel the whole time. Weird, weird pacing.

Tom's plot was meh. I mean, yeah, he was there to support the AmWorks plot, and could arguably be one of the reasons why Claire left Frank at the end. Him messing around with Kate was pointless, unless him going to her with the juicy bits towards the end is going to amount to something in season 4.

I think the only lasting and impressionable thing this season was Petrov.

I think the significance of Doug's storyline is in two points:

- In terms of Doug's character: I think he realizes that he always sort of had a conscious and was ready to let Rachel go and might want a family one day like his brother, but his sense of loyalty ultimately trumps all of that, which is why he turns around.

- In terms of Frank's Presidency: Doug being out of the loop removes a lot of contacts from Frank's arsenal. Instead of trying to get Doug back in the game as quickly as possible though, Frank believes he can stand on his own in his new position and simply not-so-subtly strong-arm everyone into submission. He needs a back-door channel to all these power brokers and politicians and Scott and Remy couldn't fill this roll half as good as Doug could.

duckroll

Except he is though. Everyone watching the show knows he is, he knows he is, his inner circle knows he is, even people opposing him who know him well know that he is.

His plan is basically "Announce he's not running to please the party leadership" -> "Introduce America Works on the pretext that he can make unpopular decisions because he's not running" -> "Hope it all goes according to plan and people see the program is successful" -> "Run for election anyway and hope everyone in the party rallies behind him due to the success of America Works"

That's a nonsense strategy. The moment he went on television and said "You are entitled to nothing" as a sitting president, he became unelectable. That's reality. If he had any intention of actually running for re-election, which he did, he wouldn't have done any of the things he did in the first half of the season. But it's okay, because he's just a supervillain in a comic book political thriller series. :)

Except he is though. Everyone watching the show knows he is, he knows he is, his inner circle knows he is, even people opposing him who know him well know that he is.

His plan is basically "Announce he's not running to please the party leadership" -> "Introduce America Works on the pretext that he can make unpopular decisions because he's not running" -> "Hope it all goes according to plan and people see the program is successful" -> "Run for election anyway and hope everyone in the party rallies behind him due to the success of America Works"

That's a nonsense strategy. The moment he went on television and said "You are entitled to nothing" as a sitting president, he became unelectable. That's reality. If he had any intention of actually running for re-election, which he did, he wouldn't have done any of the things he did in the first half of the season. But it's okay, because he's just a supervillain in a comic book political thriller series. :)

Thing is,
I'd be willing to buy that strategy, up to a point. Making a huge bet on America Works. If it had been as successful and he hoped, and he really did get to full employment, I think he might have been forgiven for what he did to other parts of the safety net. Although, he'd definitely have a shitload of trouble in the Democratic Primaries.

But the "You are entitled to nothing" bit is definitely where it crossed the line. That was just a bridge too far, for me. People wouldn't rally behind that. They certainly wouldn't shout it with him at fund raising events. But yeah, I am willing to let it go, because I just want to watch Frank's machinations. I don't care if they don't work in our America, so long as it's consistent in the show's version of America.

duckroll

Thing is,
I'd be willing to buy that strategy, up to a point. Making a huge bet on America Works. If it had been as successful and he hoped, and he really did get to full employment, I think he might have been forgiven for what he did to other parts of the safety net. Although, he'd definitely have a shitload of trouble in the Democratic Primaries.

But the "You are entitled to nothing" bit is definitely where it crossed the line. That was just a bridge too far, for me. People wouldn't rally behind that. They certainly wouldn't shout it with him at fund raising events. But yeah, I am willing to let it go, because I just want to watch Frank's machinations. I don't care if they don't work in our America, so long as it's consistent in the show's version of America.

Yup, this is after all, the alternate reality America which elected Walker president. Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom