• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you view EA?

Bob White

When you think of them does "Sports games" pop into your mind or does "variety of games" come to mind?

My friend says most people think of them as sports only. I say other wise.

jedimike

My opinion of them has definitely changed this generation. I believe they have done a great job with their licensed games (Bond, LotR). I admire them for picking up some of the smaller developers and getting on XBL was certainly a plus.

retardboy

I see them as a Microsoft mini. Eat competitors up... Only difference is, they eat them up and close them down. Atleast MS uses them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With disdain.

I do like SSX, though Tricky was better than 3 imo.

I liked them a lot in the 80's and early 90's, though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
255872ESCFX-059R.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sports games, a bunch of boring licenses, evil company, someone who's never getting my money.....

Ristamar

I generally think of sports games, movie license cash-ins, and a slew of shitty-to-average FPS titles (excluding BF 1942).

I miss the EA days when they were building "_____ Construction Set" programs. The Pinball one & the RPG one were fucking incredible.

EA (and Activision, another conglomerate that is a shell of its former self) was also one of the first companies to give designers credit for their games.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
The crap that I don't like
Sims, Sports, Movie License games

and FPSs
Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, Secret Weapons, Road to Rome
(yes I bought them all)
:p :D

Prine

Banned
Burnout 3, Stranger, Def Jam 2 = Good

I dont mind them, they've more than proved themselves as capable developers/publishers this gen.

Thumbs up

BeOnEdge

Banned
i view them as the downfall of creativity in the industry. when you have everyone rushing to beat EA and make money like EA, it can only be bad for US. they should DIE for "EA trax" alone. MY GOD. keep MTV out of my games.

FightyF

Banned
A paraphrased quote from the Producer (or assistant) of the new Def Jam Vendetta game sums up what I think about them:

With the new Def Jam, we hope to make the complete Hip Hop experience.

"Hip Hop experience"? WTF?!

So it's not about making games anymore...not about making a fun fighting game...it's all about making the ultimate hip hop experience...:rolleyes:

I view EA as a company that seeks to buy out any license since they sell. I don't know how they missed out on the Spiderman license...

It's smart business...just not very exciting for the hardcore gamer.

They're also known to butcher and malign the good name of certain leagues with their horrible sports games (NHL).

Oh and Def Jam should be fun...but what the producer said was disturbing.

Greekboy

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
They're also known to butcher and malign the good name of certain leagues with their horrible sports games (NHL).

Now yes but NHL '94 will always be my fave hockey game of all time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, they did publish System Shock 2...but I can't give them a whole lot more than that. :p

Izzy

Banned
I'll never forget the way EA supported Amiga when no one else did. For that, and Bard's Tale, Archon, Centurion, One on One, PCS, Starflight, DP, and the others, I'll always be grateful.

Greekboy

Banned
Izzy said:
I'll never forget the way EA supported Amiga when no one else did. For that, and Bard's Tale, Archon, Centurion, One on One, PCS, Starflight, DP, and the others, I'll always be grateful.

Because it catered to their needs. Dreamcast didn't because EA had already "made" it.

raYne

Mid to late 90's = sports definitely, but the yearly updates which counted as new games grew tiresome which led to me abandoning sports games altogether.

I've only just started buying EA games again but most of them have been none sport titles with the occasional "Street" game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If you read about the history of EA, it was a LOT different from how it was now... indie games, giving designers full credit for their games, etc. Actually, their hockey games on Genesis were a lot of fun, I'll give them that... But now, they're a soulless corporation - that EA trax stuff is horrible... hearing Blink 182 or 50 Cent in a sports game is stupid.

Tabris

Have they ever made a game you would consider "art house" or "deep"?

It seems like almost all of the big developers and publishers have, except for EA.

They don't have a game like ICO to their name. Just mainstream games.

Microsoft is kind of guilty for that also.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lisa Lashes said:
How do you view EA?

Cookie-cutter approach

Thats the first thing that pops into my head. With maybe the exception of some of the EA Big games, their other titles seem soulless. The only time I've been surprised by them was the announcement of LOTR: The Third Age being a turn based rpg.

Che

Banned
I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM

edit: I HATE THEM

Tabris

Actually now that I think about it, besides Ubi Soft, none of the big western developers release any "art house" console games.

Unless you can give me any examples to the contrary.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I really dig them because they support Nintendo like they're still #1 in the console world, but I am conscience of the fact that they are the Unicron of the video game market.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I do like their sports games... but I miss ECA

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lisa Lashes said:
How do you view EA?

Played out
Cookie-cutter approach
Boring
Uninspired
Duping the clueless masses
We have a winner!

For you:
Chocolate_Chip_Cookie_Recipes.gif

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
Have they ever made a game you would consider "art house" or "deep"?

It seems like almost all of the big developers and publishers have, except for EA.

They don't have a game like ICO to their name. Just mainstream games.
How about Oddworld Stranger?

DSN2K

what I think is the most worrying is everyone seems to be expecting for them to slow down,

but I dont see it happening....

If I was rival publisher/developer I would be very concerned about what happens over the next few years with the next generation consoles coming out to not let EA dictate the market like they are and planning to for the next 10 years. People can talk about EA making a console of their own but why when they already have one,

its called PC.

Activision
Atari
Konami
Capcom
Namco
TakeTwo
THQ

WAKE UP! (if you can afford to) :(

Tabris

Ramirez said:
Who gives a shit if they have an "art house" game,lol.

Cause some of us don't enjoy games about american football, car jacking, military commandos fighting off aliens, rappers wrestling or skateboarding :p (well actually I liked Tony Hawk and Halo, but you get the point)

Mareg

jarrod said:
How about Oddworld Stranger?

Hmmmm, you may have a point. But EA is not the developper, they just publish the game. Its not an InHouse game.

On a side note, I certainly hate EA but I think its a good move from Oddworld Innhabitants. They certainly need the pulicity of giant EA. I always felt that the Oddworld games where not given their due respect in terms of sales number.

As mainstream as it gets, but still very competent in creating interesting games.

Even though I despise some of their franchises (ie. FIFA), they seem to maintain a good quality standard. I don't remember a bad game coming from EA in a long time...

Black_Mamba said:
As mainstream as it gets, but still very competent in creating interesting games.

Even though I despise some of their franchises (ie. FIFA), they seem to maintain a good quality standard. I don't remember a bad game coming from EA in a long time...

Catwoman. :(

jett

D-Member
Sports games. I don't care about the ones they publish, therefore I don't care about EA. I agree with Lisa's list, too. :p

jedimike

Tabris said:
Actually now that I think about it, besides Ubi Soft, none of the big western developers release any "art house" console games.

Unless you can give me any examples to the contrary.

MS has done Voodoo Vince, Blinx, Kung Fu Chaos, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Top Bottom