• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'There's strong demand for Dragon Age: Veilguard' says EA

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sure Jan GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
Really? Genuinely curious about this, granted i only got about 10hrs into it but other than the token trans inn keeper (and we all know why she was put in there) i didn't see any identity politics as on the nose as a fucking tit removal scar
The cast of characters is more variedly coloured than a box of fruit loops, but it doesn't completely break immersion because it's an international magic school, it would be strange to not have people from all around the world.

But it's definitely a little bit on the nose.

It "CAN" still sell, it doesn't mean it will.
Also despite WB desperately wanting it to be the case, SS isn't a particularly popular IP. The comics aren't strong sellers as far as I'm aware, the first movie made money but was panned by critics and audiences alike, and the second movie, while much better, bombed.
It's nowhere near the same league as something like Spiderman.
But there was a major push to get mainstream buy in with the leadup to the launch of SSKTJL. Constantly mentioning how it's an integral part of the Arkhamverse and releasing all those developer's videos in a last-ditch effort to convince everyone that it was just another Arkhamverse game but with gunplay and different protagonists than Batman. No one fell for it because of the disastrous reveal at the State Of Play nine months prior.

It's very hard for things to slip through. Gamers aren't stupid. While not everyone is plugged in daily and active participants in forums or news sites, a garbage product is almost always sussed out for what it is and the word is on the street for anyone willing to listen well before the product launches in most cases.

ZehDon

The cast of characters is more variedly coloured than a box of fruit loops, but it doesn't completely break immersion because it's an international magic school, it would be strange to not have people from all around the world.

But it's definitely a little bit on the nose.
It's not really international, it's just famous. Depending on how concrete the lore actually is, Hogwarts is generally just for the UK with other schools serving other global areas:
HarryPotterWizardingSchools-thumb-700xauto-251210.jpeg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I doubt an EA executive would come out in public to say their game is going to flop, before launch.
So this sounds like a weak attempt to create some buzz around the game.
Hedging their bets while trying to create hype/buzz is a big red flag. “Hey MARKET!!! Our game is expected to sell within our expectations!”.

Since Avowed was pushed back and AC Shadows has now been delayed, I think that Dragon Age doesn’t have any other big cinematic AAA RPG game in it’s way. It will have an open November and December all by itself to perform.

Weird how that kind of worked out for them.

Top Bottom