• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'There's strong demand for Dragon Age: Veilguard' says EA

ssringo

Having low expectations makes it easy to be "Within expectations".

Think About It GIF by Identity

NickFire

I hope the game surprises everyone and is amazing. Last thing we need is more people being fired and laid off in this industry. I've enjoyed all the DA games to varying degrees. I hope I can add this one to the list.
I hope it turns out so good that I can't resist trying it too. I'm just not expecting it at this time.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I could see it selling decently, it's a popular IP.
"woke" stuff always bombs when it has to stand on it's own, but when it can latch onto a well known brand it can still sell.
My gut feeling is it will sell worse than Inquisition, Andromeda, and Anthem. Disappointment but not a total flop.

Just a feeling though. I give zero weight to EA’s claims about preorder #s and zero weight to mainstream game sites’ preview videos, especially for a game so loaded with “modern audiences” energy.

It feels like Star Wars: The Acolyte all over again. The media are all pretending to be even handed and unbiased, the blue haired activists are trying so hard to hype it up, while the actual audience overwhelmingly thinks it looks like shit.

stn

Eh, I cancelled my pre-order recently. I used to blindly pre-order DA games, but I need to read some reviews first to check if the story is good. The combat gameplay footage I saw looked decent enough, but the game still has a comedic and bright tone that I just can't jive with. I'm open to buying the game but need to see reviews first.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nah, i hope it will turn out good. Why i would need another bad game?:messenger_unamused:
I hope the game surprises everyone and is amazing. Last thing we need is more people being fired and laid off in this industry. I've enjoyed all the DA games to varying degrees. I hope I can add this one to the list.
I get it, but personally I'm past the point of no return. I thought Inquisition was meh at best, I had hope for Mass Effect: Andromeda (pre-ordered and all that) and it turned out to be shit, then I had hope for Anthem and... well, let's just say it didn't live up to my expectations. Fool me once and all that.

The Bioware we know and love is long gone, now it's just a shell that EA is using to bait the customer.

rm082e

This game seems to trigger a certain part of the Internet the same way Hogwarts legacy seemed to have triggered another. Every coin, two sides n' all that

No. Hogwarts had a bunch of people directly calling for a boycott of the game. A bunch of game sites and new media personalities refused to speak about the game. People online were directly saying anyone who played the game was a Nazi sympathizer.

By comparison, the people ragging on DA:TV are just saying it looks like shit and will probably fail. I'm very much a "neutral party" who doesn't give a shit about activists on either side. I looked at what people on the purple forum and podcasts of that ideology were saying about Hogwarts, and what the other side is saying about DA:TV is simply not the same. This is not a "both sides" situation.

Blackage

Inquisition is apparently Bioware's best selling game, so it really wouldn't surprise me if this game managed to sell well, a ton of people played the previous entry.

That being said the last game was TEN YEARS AGO, so you know.....we'll see!

For me at least, it looks like bubblegum fantasy so I'm not interested, I also have doubts they can deliver good/deep combat mechanics.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
FYI, every time a company is providing a non-numerical figures you can assume they are lying.

Example:

Dragon Age Veilguard is tracking above expectations (expectations were 100)
Dragon Age Veilguard is tracking above 50 000 pre-orders (you need to verify 50 000 pre-orders)

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. a company is providing you with an opinion instead of hard data = they are lying.

Except that in this case they are speaking to their investors, not YOU, and after selling 12 million copies of Inquisition, their expectations for Veilguard are at worst pretty decent.

amigastar

I get it, but personally I'm past the point of no return. I thought Inquisition was meh at best, I had hope for Mass Effect: Andromeda (pre-ordered and all that) and it turned out to be shit, then I had hope for Anthem and... well, let's just say it didn't live up to my expectations. Fool me once and all that.

The Bioware we know and love is long gone, now it's just a shell that EA is using to bait the customer.
I understand, at some point you can be fed up. That's normal but still i hope the game turns out good. Wouldn't it be nice to have a splendid Dragon Age game?

Last edited:

NickFire

Except that in this case they are speaking to their investors, not YOU, and after selling 12 million copies of Inquisition, their expectations for Veilguard are at worst pretty decent.
I thought the same thing as you initially. But after reading the quotes a couple times I think it would be a stretch for an investor to prevail in court over them if the game ends up underperforming. They seem rather vague and more opinion than fact IMO.

PeteBull

Just for comparision, lets see saints row reboot from 2022.

And ofc despite all the fluff pr we know how it ended up- studio clousure :p

Embracer Group CEO Lars Wingefors stated that while he expects Saints Row to be profitable, he felt it likely won't "have as great a return on investment as we have seen in many other games". He further expressed his disappointment of the game's "polarising" reception.[39]
By October 2022, Saints Row had attracted more than 1 million players.[40]
In November 2022, Embracer Group stated that Saints Row "did not meet the full expectations and left the fanbase partially polarized", but financially "performed in line with management expectations in the quarter." It subsequently announced that Volition would be transferred from Deep Silver to Gearbox Entertainment, stating that it "has all the tools, including an experienced management team in the US, to create future success at Volition".[41][42] In August 2023, Embracer shuttered Volition.

TLDR: Nowadays AAA western game with big budget/years of devtime flops in a nasty way even with 1,7m sold copies, new DA wont be an exception from the rule, all those wokesters working for years on the game suck game's budget dry big time :p

Wildebeest

I bet they are gonna be pretty confused to see modern day surgery scars in a fantasy world...
Eh. I bet every time that most people don't give a shit if a game is cancelled by any political faction on social media. Things that would scare them off are things like if the fantasy characters didn't look like what they expect from television, or if they actually had to force their tired, overworked brains into thinking about anything at all other than pushing buttons when prompted.

Top Bottom