• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation 5 Pro lays the groundwork for PS6 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, it's actually a point raised in last week's Direct that I want to tackle in this week's blog. Many believe - with some justification - that the PS5 Pro is a step too far and that such a console isn't needed. In fact, we've made the argument ourselves. Looking back at that piece, I warned about higher costs of a Pro console, but also looked at the potential improvements it could bring - all of which have come to pass with PS5 Pro.

That's one aspect of how a PS5 Pro may benefit people who aren't actually going to buy the console - better versions of the games you own in the years to come - but now we need to look at the overall strategic advantages for Sony. On the face of it, the idea of releasing a £699/$699 console doesn't sound like a particularly good idea, after all. However, the Pro innovates in the console space in a way that is essential for the hardware to come. The combination of CPU and GPU is now joined by machine learning silicon.

PS5 Pro has demonstrated that the opportunities to increase console performance and features by simply producing faster, more complex CPUs and GPUs is now over. For a $100 price premium, Sony doubled the size of the PS4 GPU in making PS4 Pro. Today, with PS5 Pro, a $250 price premium (over the equivalent digital base model) cannot do the same. Sony is achieving similar, if not outright superior results, by adding machine learning silicon and amplifying graphics via AI hardware. It has also allowed Sony to add in enhanced ray tracing capabilities into what must surely have been a very tight silicon budget.

As proven time and time again by Nvidia's innovations in the space, machine learning hardware offers a gigantic return on investment - but getting to where Nvidia is now requires two things: investment and patience.

None of this happened overnight and yet Nvidia has now effectively defined the direction of travel for graphics innovation and consoles need to catch up. And that's where PS5 Pro comes in. Sony has taken the smart path here, delivering the custom silicon required where AMD did not seem to have any, while at the same time developing PlayStation Spectral Resolution (PSSR) on the software side. We've now been 'eyes on' with PSSR across a range of games and while there's still work to be done in improving it, it's a big leap beyond existing upscaling solutions. But we shouldn't forget that the machine learning hardware isn't just a fixed function AI upscaling block - it can be used for all manner of tasks. PSSR delivers the biggest bang for the buck, but it's just the beginning.

We are looking at such a big change here that absolutely we should be looking at PlayStation 5 Pro as the console that sets the ball rolling for Sony in an area of crucial importance. I'd even venture to suggest that PlayStation 6 may even need PlayStation 5 Pro to exist for this evolution to happen. Sony's technology groups need time to develop technologies like PSSR and to ship them and to refine them. Meanwhile, developers need to grow accustomed to these technologies instead of simply focusing on them for their PC games.

Going back to PS5 Pro though, we've now seen enough of the machine to say with some level of conviction that it does what Sony says it does - but more than that, with titles like F1 24, there's evidence that those that target the hardware specifically will see much bigger boosts than simply 'fidelity mode at 60fps'. PS5 Pro doesn't answer the value question conclusively - not yet - but it's delivering clearly superior results to base hardware. More holistically though, today's added enhancements may well be laying the foundation work for the viability of 10th generation console hardware - and in that sense, its importance shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Pssr 2 for ps6

Flexing Hulk Hogan GIF by WWE

Poltz

That's one aspect of how a PS5 Pro may benefit people who aren't actually going to buy the console - better versions of the games you own in the years to come - but now we need to look at the overall strategic advantages for Sony. On the face of it, the idea of releasing a £699/$699 console doesn't sound like a particularly good idea, after all. However, the Pro innovates in the console space in a way that is essential for the hardware to come. The combination of CPU and GPU is now joined by machine learning silicon.

PS5 Pro has demonstrated that the opportunities to increase console performance and features by simply producing faster, more complex CPUs and GPUs is now over. For a $100 price premium, Sony doubled the size of the PS4 GPU in making PS4 Pro. Today, with PS5 Pro, a $250 price premium (over the equivalent digital base model) cannot do the same. Sony is achieving similar, if not outright superior results, by adding machine learning silicon and amplifying graphics via AI hardware. It has also allowed Sony to add in enhanced ray tracing capabilities into what must surely have been a very tight silicon budget.

Looking at the criticisms of PS5 Pro today, I am reminded of the massive backlash against Nvidia's RTX 20-series products based on the Turing architecture back in 2018. The products were pricey, nobody bought into the AI narrative, ray tracing was derided. And yet today, DLSS upscaling has proven to be one of the most transformative technologies in the PC space - a desired feature for users and coveted by the competition. Ray tracing? With smart technological innovations, an immense level of investment in software like ReSTIR and strategic partnerships with key game makers, Nvidia brought actual path tracing to triple-A games.

None of this happened overnight and yet Nvidia has now effectively defined the direction of travel for graphics innovation and consoles need to catch up. And that's where PS5 Pro comes in. Sony has taken the smart path here, delivering the custom silicon required where AMD did not seem to have any, while at the same time developing PlayStation Spectral Resolution (PSSR) on the software side. We've now been 'eyes on' with PSSR across a range of games and while there's still work to be done in improving it, it's a big leap beyond existing upscaling solutions. But we shouldn't forget that the machine learning hardware isn't just a fixed function AI upscaling block - it can be used for all manner of tasks. PSSR delivers the biggest bang for the buck, but it's just the beginning.

We are looking at such a big change here that absolutely we should be looking at PlayStation 5 Pro as the console that sets the ball rolling for Sony in an area of crucial importance. I'd even venture to suggest that PlayStation 6 may even need PlayStation 5 Pro to exist for this evolution to happen. Sony's technology groups need time to develop technologies like PSSR and to ship them and to refine them. Meanwhile, developers need to grow accustomed to these technologies instead of simply focusing on them for their PC games.

Sony is obviously not alone in these endeavours. Switch 2 will ship in 2025 with RT and machine learning silicon in its T239 processor and unlike Sony, Nintendo has the benefit of tapping into Nvidia's existing technologies. And then there's Microsoft. Xbox president Sarah Bond has talked about gen 10 delivering "the biggest technological leap ever in a generation" and I'd put good money on this referring to machine learning-based technologies as opposed to a wallet-busting gigantor-class GPU.

Going back to PS5 Pro though, we've now seen enough of the machine to say with some level of conviction that it does what Sony says it does - but more than that, with titles like F1 24, there's evidence that those that target the hardware specifically will see much bigger boosts than simply 'fidelity mode at 60fps'. PS5 Pro doesn't answer the value question conclusively - not yet - but it's delivering clearly superior results to base hardware. More holistically though, today's added enhancements may well be laying the foundation work for the viability of 10th generation console hardware - and in that sense, its importance shouldn't be underestimated

Last edited:

RPCGamer

tbf it looks like I may just skip the Pro and hang out for the PS6 based on what i've seen so far with these upgrades, i'm just not seeing £700 worth of graphical upgrades
I'm guessing, but I think we'll see one more big "wave" of releases for the PS5 and then a slow transition to PS6.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm guessing, but I think we'll see one more big "wave" of releases for the PS5 and then a slow transition to PS6.
honestly can't see a PS6 till at least Xmas 2027, possibly 28. Unless Devs really get to grips with the Pro and show proper tangible differences, im talking F1 like differences not just 60fps and more detailed distant trees, i could be tempted

tbf it looks like I may just skip the Pro and hang out for the PS6 based on what i've seen so far with these upgrades, i'm just not seeing £700 worth of graphical upgrades

Is it £700 of graphical upgrades or £310 (difference between existing digital PS5 offering and the Pro)?

Speaking for myself, I’m willing to pay for the best console experience possible. For others, that may be satisfied with the current PS5 experience, then the device doesn’t make sense. It’s unlikely Sony is subsidising the Pro anyways, I’m just glad it exists as I don’t wanna have to deal with PC.

I would guess ps4 pro layed the ground work for Sony's future hardware with checkerboard rendering and that PSSR just wasn't ready for PS5 at launch because Sony has been doing ML based rendering for decades.

I may purchase the ps5 pro since I didn't purchase the ps5. I get the reason for the price on which everyone is against. Despite remastering old games we probably get to see the difference down the line and sony to me already proved that to me through ps5 going against xbox Despite having less power.. Pssr is just the start come ps6 pssr will be leaps better and may keep up with dlss. Also digital foundry already pointed out that F1 24 on pro looks generation ahead similar to dlss but only lacking detail properly on the rt shadows I think agasint dlss

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I still can't help but think of Pearl Jam every time I read that man's name.

mdkirby

Hmm I wonder if the ai chip is doing anything interesting with any space capacity….such as utilising input to continually train the learning models, which can then feed and inform the ps6

I hope the developers will prioritize instant loading times. When the PS5 I/O magic is utilized properly it's just insanely fast, but most games don't seem to make use of it much.

To be honest I'm coming around to the idea of the Pro and maybe skipping the PS6 at launch. I have that many PS4 and PS5 games to play that I'd get to experience at their best with the Pro and if this generation is anything to go by then it will be a slow transition to fully next gen anyway. Plus I'm 40 next year and who knows how much longer I'll be gaming? I deserve the best right now!

Three

DF are going to be pushing next gen which is mostly going to be crossgen but highres while questioning the Pros existence. The stupid marketing for next gen has started while we should be asking for more for this gen.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I think this is the first time since 2012 that I agree with all points Richard said. Fantastic and logical write-up and he seems very impressed by PS5PRO and Sony’s smart approach in developing it.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I feel like the main benefit is that it will improve the quality of BC games for PS6 as it will presumably run the PS5 Pro version where available.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The REAL answer to the question in the title is 'by getting everyone used to paying bullshit prices for hardware and games'.

Simple silicon upscaling has become way too expensive and too power hungry to keep up with the performance needs of the likes of path tracing f.e.
The "hybrid" approach where ML upscaling and reconstruction takes over an increasing amount of the burden is currently the only feasible way forward, especially in the budget sector. Console manufacturers really have no other choice than to follow Nvidia`s lead here lest they`ll be left in the dust.

Last edited:

onQ123

LfUDC0q.png

yfedRYF.png

QmnGQbI.png

Post in thread 'PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-...ay-2024-insider-gaming.1668501/post-269141904

“those that target the hardware specifically will see much bigger boosts”

This is the issue. When we still have most games being based on PS4 code, what use is the PS5 Pro?

I hope the developers will prioritize instant loading times. When the PS5 I/O magic is utilized properly it's just insanely fast, but most games don't seem to make use of it much.

Again due to being handicapped by PS4 support. Until publishers move on, we get to enjoy the same old PS4 loading screens with game tips that load too fast to read.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
“those that target the hardware specifically will see much bigger boosts”

This is the issue. When we still have most games being based on PS4 code, what use is the PS5 Pro?

Again due to being handicapped by PS4 support. Until publishers move on, we get to enjoy the same old PS4 loading screens with game tips that load too fast to read.

Im not disagreeing with you but by this line of thinking, what use is gaming PCs?

There is not a single game that being optimized solely for high-end gaming PC cards, and if there is one, I can guarantee you consoles will struggle or never be able to run it to begin with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom