• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

If I purchase the Telus HTC One and unlock it, will the unlocking be permanent?

I ask because my friend's smartphone reverted back to being locked after an update. Speaking of updates, will I get the updates at the same time as a normal Telus HTC One even after unlocking it? I'm sort of a noob with unlocking and how it works so some clarification would be nice. :p

Fuck me, I would be at the bottom of the page.

If Telus do it then it will be unlocked perminantly (god, I can't spell that word). If a 3rd party does it, it really depends on how they do it.

Apparently already is, I don't really understand too much of it but I see some software and stuff out for it already. Check out the XDA forums.

Regardless what other people have said, I've never had a any trouble rooting and finding a quality ROMs for the one X. The s3 did have more room available but most are copycat of popular ROMs. I believe the One will be no different and it will have developers supporting the platform.

Were you able to play with both the One and the S4?
What's your initial impression and comparison on both?

When I had the one x and s3, I was running cm10 on both and the functionality was almost identical to me. the s3 did feel better in my hands but the one x screen was superior. Battery life was almost identical too.

Were you able to play with both the One and the S4?
What's your initial impression and comparison on both?

I only had about 20 mins with each so my impressions are quite shallow. As far as the S4 goes I firmly believe its getting a bad rap for its design. It's much nicer in person and doesn't look half as cheap as pictures online make it seem. I've also seen reports of it lagging but saw none of that when I used it. It's a very, very slick device. I came away very impressed and the only thing I really didn't like was the touch wiz interface.

As far as the One. It only took 10 mins before I knew it was finally an Android phone to pull me away from iPhone. I vastly prefer the screen on the One. It's hard to explain but it's less "in your face", just like the One X. The rep played a YouTube video too and put the speakers at max. It's one hell of a sound that comes out of the phone. It's simply incredible.

It's a close call between them, but for me it's the One. If someone says they prefer the S4 I wouldn't blame them. They each have their strengths.

sound like another One X vs S3

I thought both phone were both equally good.

hope my One gets here by friday.
the one x had notable issues though. The battery was just bad, and it didn't have the good all round camera vibe that the One has, let alone the superior build and whatnot.

So it's even closer than that.

the one x had notable issues though. The battery was just bad, and it didn't have the good all round camera vibe that the One has, let alone the superior build and whatnot.

So it's even closer than that.

Well I had both phone switching back and forth between the 2, I wouldn't say the S3 was better than the OneX or vice versa. The S3 did have some issues..like the wifi...

S3 vs One X

battery life: I was roughly getting the same
Skin: same...just kept trying different roms and CM10. Also used nova luncher pro
In hand feel: S3, One X didn't feel as good
Camera: not a pixel peeper...so not much difference
Screen: One X
Sound: tie

Mook1e

Well I had both phone switching back and forth between the 2, I wouldn't say the S3 was better than the OneX or vice versa. The S3 did have some issues..like the wifi...

S3 vs One X

battery life: I was roughly getting the same
Skin: same...just kept trying different roms and CM10. Also used nova luncher pro
In hand feel: S3, One X didn't feel as good
Camera: not a pixel peeper...so not much difference
Screen: One X
Sound: tie
We have an S3, Note 2, and Evo 4g LTE in my family and they're all excellent. I had to drop the Sprint network myself, but I was "this" close to grabbing the 4g LTE when the Note 2 caught my eye. I have no doubts the One is bringing that total package, but if I were in the market for one, I think I would look into the model being offered in China with microsd and dual sim.

Sooooo I tried the One today for a little while.

- Looks AMAAAAAZING
- Feels very premium
- Thankfully it's curved or else it would definitely feel bulky
- Screen is wtfomg
- Sense 5 is definitely lighter than previous versions, don't think I witnessed a single stutter, everything was bordering on instant
- Sense 5 still makes no sense in certain places, but overall manageable, also would still prefer the 3 capacitive buttons but I'm sure you get used to it fast
- power button on top is wonky but not THAT bad
- Sound is nuuuuuts. I refuse to use the words boomsound, but the sound is nuts
- Camera is fast

What else is there to say. I think that covers it. Did it convince me....HMMMM....maybe yes perhaps probably who knows probably.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

- Looks AMAAAAAZING
- Feels very premium
- Screen is wtfomg
- Sense 5 is definitely lighter than previous versions, don't think I witnessed a single stutter, everything was bordering on instant
- Sense 5 still makes no sense in certain places, but overall manageable, also would still prefer the 3 capacitive buttons but I'm sure you get used to it fast
- Camera is fast

What else is there to say. I think that covers it. Did it convince me....HMMMM....maybe yes perhaps probably who knows probably.

lol dammit pyro

lol dammit pyro
hahaha I'll have to see on friday. Not going to lie, if I see it available in store that day I'll cave for sure. HTC is lucky this comes out before the S4. It will sucker people like me who don't want to wait another goddamn week or so. Anyway I do agree with reviewers. It definitely does seem like the first total package android phone in terms of overall quality/performance in a LONGGGG time if ever.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

- Looks AMAAAAAZING
- Feels very premium
- Screen is wtfomg
- Camera is fast

iFm4moC606Sk8.gif

I fully believe it's one of those phones that if any casual consumer held it in one hand and a competing android phone in the other hand, the One would win 1000000000000% of the time. It has a pretty commanding presence.

Too bad HTC marketing sucks/is non existent. Inb4 vanderbeek.

I fully believe it's one of those phones that if any casual consumer held it in one hand and a competing android phone in the other hand, the One would win 1000000000000% of the time. It has a pretty commanding presence.

Give yourself to the dark side. bwahahahaah...and so on.

We'll see if my body takes me there on friday. You can't fight the body. It is kind of annoying that Bell hasn't officially announced it yet on their site. Not sure what they're waiting for...

Batman

Banned
I was thinking about getting the Nexus 4 but I might get this instead if it's better, you can put a T-Mobile Sim card in this one too right?

DrFunk

I've had the HSPA version for a bit, my impressions match yours 100%.

DrFunk

Why HSPA? Isn't this like the iphone 5 where the LTE version will actually be better like in terms of battery and all that?

Guessing you had no choice though.

Bought to see if I'd like it. I'll let it when the unlocked LTE versions become available.

Man, my Evo 3D doesn't even turn on anymore. The 19th can't come soon enough.

I preordered this phone through Sprint. Do you guys know if they are shipping the phone the 19th or if they will ship it earlier so i get the phone the 19th?

Just found out I have to wait until May 8th for my full upgrade to be available from AT&T. It's okay though, it'll give me more time to read everyone's reviews and the Stealth Black version should be out by then.

We'll see if my body takes me there on friday. You can't fight the body. It is kind of annoying that Bell hasn't officially announced it yet on their site. Not sure what they're waiting for...

They announced it to me, oddly. I whined on their twitter for a week and finally they confirmed the 19th. Then thanked me for my patience lol

Edit: Tried to embed it, I suck

They announced it to me, oddly. I whined on their twitter for a week and finally they confirmed the 19th. Then thanked me for my patience lol

Edit: Tried to embed it, I suck
lol I don't get why they're being so coy about it...and on monday bell is starting to take pre-orders for the S4 so their front page will have that. So are they making the One a quiet launch or something. Maybe that's a benefit for the selfish though :p

Gritesh

I'm in Canada and really want this phone but I'm on Bell and it looks like its only coming to Rogers and Telus?

Does anyone know if Bell is going to get this phone?

Nevermind it sounds like Bell will get this, I can't wait to get off my iPhone 4s and pick this thing up!

I'm in Canada and really want this phone but I'm on Bell and it looks like its only coming to Rogers and Telus?

Does anyone know if Bell is going to get this phone?
it's definitely coming to bell. April 19th. They're just being annoying by not putting it on their site.

reKon

Banned
I tried it at the at&t. Great feeling phone, but couldn't properly hold it because of the sensor attachment. Makes the decision even harder.

Peterthumpa

Living in Brazil nowadays and got a friend going to Miami on May 6th. Will it be easy to find the phone unlocked around there? For how much?

Con_Smith

Banned
Been reading about the One lately as I'm growing tired of my droid 4 and Verizon is about to cut my GF data plan. Should I go with sprint or T-mobile for the carrier? I'm located in Raleigh and take trips to Atlanta constantly if that helps. Just want to make sure I get a decent plan with decent coverage.

- Looks AMAAAAAZING
- Feels very premium
- Screen is wtfomg
- Camera is fast

One more week HHHNNNNNNGGGGG

longdi

Banned
One is release here and it sure feels ultra premium. The same feeling when you are holding onto a ipad/mbp. Blows even Sony Xperia Z in design imho.
Sense 5.0 feels pretty fast, much so than Sony Z. Compare to Sony flagship, there is much less lag when launching the camera or sms, the browser is fast too. It doesnt heat up as bad as Z even when running benchmarks.

But i agree the 2 capacitive buttons are wasted since HTC chose to use soft buttons, it is abit confusing and also effectively makes the screen area even smaller.

The screen is very punchy as you would expect, but the viewing angles seem a little weaker than oneX and butterfly. At maximum brightness, there is too much white.

The positive reviews are pretty true. I hope One will be a success and more android phones to follow it.

Been reading about the One lately as I'm growing tired of my droid 4 and Verizon is about to cut my GF data plan. Should I go with sprint or T-mobile for the carrier? I'm located in Raleigh and take trips to Atlanta constantly if that helps. Just want to make sure I get a decent plan with decent coverage.

Sprint.

So apparently someone over on the xda forums was able to get his hands on the AT&T version of the One. He was able to generate a unlock.bin from htc dev and successfully unlock the device. He backed it all up with multiple screenshots so it seems legit.

That's pretty great news for those that like to root. Seems to be fully unlockable day 1

lol I don't get why they're being so coy about it...and on monday bell is starting to take pre-orders for the S4 so their front page will have that. So are they making the One a quiet launch or something. Maybe that's a benefit for the selfish though :p

I have to use best buy mobile sadly but I'm at least 1st on their preorder list. Just hope they got a bell one in on day 1.

Really not too sure why its so hush hush with Bell though. htc.com still says only Rogers and Telus. It's weird.

FinKL

hahaha I'll have to see on friday. Not going to lie, if I see it available in store that day I'll cave for sure. HTC is lucky this comes out before the S4. It will sucker people like me who don't want to wait another goddamn week or so. Anyway I do agree with reviewers. It definitely does seem like the first total package android phone in terms of overall quality/performance in a LONGGGG time if ever.
I swear I thought I read they had supply problems because of the finish and because they are no longer a tier 1 company, suppliers aren't allocating as many parts to HTC as they would say Samsung.

People using the One, are you in the US? My tmobile store said they have HTC one training Tuesday but still have no release date...

Batman

Banned
So if I want to do the tmobile $30 a month deal I have to buy the unlocked developer edition or something like that?

Top Bottom