• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

quite interesting observing this debate. zomg putting forward an argument, and mastershake trying to counter it not by proving his own argument, but by trying to discredits zomgs/

did i say interesting? more like tedious.

I still love you Chinner. :*(

Where did i say the NEX was a shit camera? Please, show me

Maybe not shit but:

"Its ILC at least but its still a point in shoot. It's still not as capable as a DSLR or SLT"

Implies that you think it is worse than an SLR, when in fact the NEX-6 is better than most in the same price bracket.

someone needs to ask Anand how the HTC One got 61fps in Egypt Classic. that benchmark is capped at 60fps...

Maybe we should just compare the HTC One to non-Sony phones only to keep this thread civil...

well, nobody in their right mind wants to compare it to an Apple or Samsung, so who's left? Nokia? LG? ZTE?

Chinner

Banned
guys can you please stop posting, the archaic s4 pro in my zl is barely managing to keep up with all of these posts.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man when I saw the debates sparking up I was getting interested, then things started getting bite-y and I was worried but now we've got apologies going and there's this warm feeling i've got inside. I don't think I've seen apologies on the internet that much.

I love you, sheriff truman GAF.

The Z and ZL are that bad in comparison?

lol no, i was shit stirring. There seems to be barely anything between the devices short of a few end user preferences. It's why you're seeing so much snark from the two fanboy camps...a form of blue balls almost.

Does anyone know where I can find a video that runs through some of the new/updated software on the One. The stock browser/email client/lock screens and a good look at the tv remote app?

I've seen some for tv remote but very basic, I want to see someone actually pair it with their receiver, tv and cable box. I'm wondering if I pair it with my receiver if it I can make quick keys to change to specific inputs

catmincer

I want this still. Perhaps if my 920 can't be repaired I shall acquire one. I love the camera on the 920 lowlight photos ftw.

Also, I am going to say it again. Sony can suck a fat one, I am still bitter about how shit my experience with the S was. A year with buggy ICS *vom*.

HTC One X came out after Xperia S, yet which one has Jellybean? Hint: Not the Sony one. Not to mention my experience with the X10 mini pro which didn't get anything past 2.1 whereas other shitty cheap phones got 2.3.

I like Sony's designs and the Z/ZL are attractive but I have been burnt twice and it'd take a lot for me to consider a phone from them again.

buhdeh

More positive reviews:

With the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note III, Google’s “X Phone,” new RAZR handsets, a new flagship Optimus G and plenty more due to launch this year, competition at the high end of the smartphone market will be more fierce than ever before. But unless something truly unexpected pops up, the HTC One will almost certainly be the best all-around Android phone to launch in 2013. The One includes all of the features that make a hit and none of the big compromises we’re typically forced to accept, and in that regard it changes everything.

http://bgr.com/2013/04/08/htc-one-review-att-423631/

The HTC One is one of the best Android phones I have ever used — and it is by far the best Android hardware ever. The addition of LTE support only makes the whole package better, and while I'd love to see better battery and camera performance, it's hard not to recommend the One. We still have yet to see how Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S4 fares in the real world, but as it stands right now, HTC has a much more compelling device in my eyes. I just hope that the company and its apparently superior product will be able to withstand the marketing and mindshare onslaught that Samsung has planned for this year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/4196446/htc-one-att-lte-review

Everdred

I tried to pre-order the developer edition a few days ago but it kept declining me. I look at my bank account today and they have charged me for 3 of them... It never went through and they never sent me an email. I've since decided to pass on it, I'm going to be pissed if they send me ANY of them.

Well iMessage is the only one i'm aware of to switch between SMS and Data on the fly.

However both Skype and Whatsapp have a major advantage over iMessage and Facetime, and thats multiple devices. You need both parties to have an iPhone with what you have.

Well one problem I have is pretty much my family and my wife's sister's family all have iPhones so getting them all to switch apps for things that are integrated might be a bit of a challenge. That's not something that would rule me out of switching, but it certainly makes the switch more difficult. Skype is just terrible on mobile phones though.

you might want to return your order...

Really? It surprises me there aren't solutions for this. Let alone to give up so easily.

If you're on ATT, it makes sense to grab the unlocked or developer edition. No bloatware or tethering restrictions.

another review: http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/08/htc-one-for-att-sprint-review/#continued

I've got to admit, one of the reasons I went with the dev version of the phone was to avoid carrier logos, but that AT&T one is done in such a subtle way that I wouldn't be bothered by it one bit.

Well one problem I have is pretty much my family and my wife's sister's family all have iPhones so getting them all to switch apps for things that are integrated might be a bit of a challenge. That's not something that would rule me out of switching, but it certainly makes the switch more difficult. Skype is just terrible on mobile phones though.

Really? It surprises me there aren't solutions for this. Let alone to give up so easily.

I've got to admit, one of the reasons I went with the dev version of the phone was to avoid carrier logos, but that AT&T one is done in such a subtle way that I wouldn't be bothered by it one bit.

A lot of my family and friends use iMessage and like you I think it'd be hard to convince them to use a different app but oh we'll. Ill probably just stick to the standard SMS app

90% of the people I text have iPhones but I also have to have unlimited messaging for the two or three people that I know that don't. Last I checked the AT&T messaging plan I would need is $15/month. For $5 more I get unlimited messaging.

So its a non issue for me

90% of the people I text have iPhones but I also have to have unlimited messaging for the two or three people that I know that don't. Last I checked the AT&T messaging plan I would need is $15/month. For $5 more I get unlimited messaging.

So its a non issue for me

I'm grandfathered in to the $5, 250 text message plan which was plenty for me before. It's not worth paying for unlimited texts every month.

Whatsapp is what most people use. If that's not an acceptable solution to you, then you should just use iMessage, which requires an iPhone. problem solved!

It doesn't solve anything because there are things like integrated Google Maps which is only on Android. It seems almost crazy to me that nobody has developed an Android app that will use their service first but then default to SMS when not available. It's a feature that's been around for awhile now. It's too easy to rip off so I'm shocked nobody has something even comparable. Heck, even Palm had something like it in their messaging setup.

I'm grandfathered in to the $5, 250 text message plan which was plenty for me before. It's not worth paying for unlimited texts every month.

It doesn't solve anything because there are things like integrated Google Maps which is only on Android. It seems almost crazy to me that nobody has developed an Android app that will use their service first but then default to SMS when not available. It's a feature that's been around for awhile now. It's too easy to rip off so I'm shocked nobody has something even comparable. Heck, even Palm had something like it in their messaging setup.

I wonder if that's what the rumored babel will do

it's a solution for a problem that nobody has. the only way it works is if the majority of people have it, which would mean it's something that would be done at the OS level, shipping on handsets. you should email the peeps who make iMessage and ask for an Android port... and i don't even understand the Google Maps comment...

it's a solution for a problem that nobody has. the only way it works is if the majority of people have it, which would mean it's something that would be done at the OS level, shipping on handsets. you should email the peeps who make iMessage and ask for an Android port... and i don't even understand the Google Maps comment...

Wow you've totally missed the point. I don't want something to use the iMessage protocol. I want something that has similar functionality. I want an integrated messaging app that tries to use its protocol, be it WhatsApp or whatever that protocol may be and if it cannot send via that protocol, it defaults to sending a SMS.

Also what don't you understand about Google Maps? It's not integrated into the OS on iOS, but it is on Android. I used to have that functionality but Apple removed it. So saying sticking with iOS does not solve my problem with choosing a phone.

Wow you've totally missed the point. I don't want something to use the iMessage protocol. I want something that has similar functionality. I want an integrated messaging app that tries to use its protocol, be it WhatsApp or whatever that protocol may be and if it cannot send via that protocol, it defaults to sending a SMS.

Also what don't you understand about Google Maps? It's not integrated into the OS on iOS, but it is on Android. I used to have that functionality but Apple removed it. So saying sticking with iOS does not solve my problem with choosing a phone.
no such app exists. maybe Google will do that with Babel, maybe not. maybe the AmazonPhone will have it, maybe not.

can't you just ro... err... jailbreak and restore that Google Maps functionality on iOS?

Blackhead

Redarse

no such app exists

The new FaceBook "chatheads" messenger app supposedly does.

The reasons most apps don't combine the two is because (1) they launch on iOS which explicitly prevents that feature (2) they'd much prefer you badger all your friends to install the messaging app instead of sending regular sms to some of them.

Thought this was interesting (taken from XDA):

Originally Posted by jesr
So it finally came out in western news

Anyway, just a quick warning to everybody: be extremly carefull when judging supposedly HTC ONE faulty build issues. That last batch of photos that surfaced turned out to be fake photos made by Samsung affiliates.

There's a huge controversy right know in Taiwan tech forums because of this.

Long story short, Samsung was caught manipulating most popular forums and mass media against Taiwan OEMs through a subsidiary company (http://www.opentide.com.tw). Actions such as flood forums with negative posts, FUD, multiple accounts by the same user ditching on HTC, Acer etc.

For instance this company hired college students (so called part time workers) to spread FUD, fake pictures, false information about HTC, Acer and even Sony. It payed several professional reviewers to make positive reviews on Samsung products. There's also evidence of galaxy “gifts” from Samsung to "friendly" forum hosts.

After this information came to public, Samsung taiwan facebook issued an apologize blaming rogue staff and misunderstandings, which further confirms all that has been happening.

All this info was leaked by http://taiwansamsungleaks.org/ (unfortunatly it's all in chinese) I also have links of Taiwan media coverage of this scandal but I assume it's not worth posting since they're also in chinese.

Jigolo

Thought this was interesting (taken from XDA):

Yeah there was a thread about this at The Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4187006/what-you-should-check-closely-when-unboxing-your-htc-one

It's silly that Samsung would do this kind of crap. Just because their hardware is shitty, doesn't mean they have to try to make the HTC One look bad. Pathetic.

I'm sure most of those phone were manipulated before taking the pictures. All the scratches, scuffs, and putting that ticket right through the phone was set up.

VoxPop

Anyone really surprised? Samsung has been doing stuff like this for years. Not to mention all the scandals and bribery cases they have on them (not necessarily for their mobile department though). And the fact they got caught with a 500 page textbook on how to copy the iPhone. I remember one of those Samsung promoters/employees at Best Buy not too long ago hounding me to not buy the iPad and get the superior Galaxy Tab lmao.

Talon

Were it so easy. Who wants to support all the backend shit at this point as an independent developer when it's clear that Google is working on a solution and WhatsApp is already entrenched?

How much of an issue do you guys think the battery life is? I've been using an iPhone 4S for almost a year and I'm frustrated by how rapidly the battery goes.

How much of an issue do you guys think the battery life is? I've been using an iPhone 4S for almost a year and I'm frustrated by how rapidly the battery goes.

According to GSMArena from what I remember (not counting the NoteII and its AMAZING battery), it has the best battery for web browsing and only loses a little on standby, yet still sits the same if not better than the latest phones on the market.

Long story short, battery is great.

Edit: about that gap issue above. Saw the same thing on the one my HTC rep showed me and even pointed it out to him. He hadnt noticed. It's very small, but there's some movement in it.

He said he had an early European version so maybe that's the issue. Either way, mine is comin out of the box well before I buy it.

Top Bottom