• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

So apparently someone over on the xda forums was able to get his hands on the AT&T version of the One. He was able to generate a unlock.bin from htc dev and successfully unlock the device. He backed it all up with multiple screenshots so it seems legit.

That's pretty great news for those that like to root. Seems to be fully unlockable day 1

Dayam if its true! This phone keeps getting better and better. Once developers do their thing...this phone will be even more of a beast.

reKon

Banned
I'm still gonna wait it out. Phone is the best looking I've ever seen and the dual speakers is a welcome innovation, but I don't know if I'm ready to give up the faster updates, developer friendliness, and useful touch wiz features that the S4 would give me. When it comes down to it, it's always the software that matters the most because that's what you're using. The line up of flagships for 2014 will be crazy because of the improved level of battery optimization, better engineering (more screen/smaller size), and pressure for your phone to look good from someone than Apple.

zedge

Ahh, the amount of money a company owns directly relates to how good their software is.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Touchwiz works fine, whether it looks good is another story. Nothing to do with how 'good' it is.I would argue that touchwiz is more functional and user friendly than Sense. Especially with some of the questionable design choices on Sense 5.

I honestly hope the one turns HTCs fortunes around regardless. Not holding my breath however.

Jigolo

So if I want to do the tmobile $30 a month deal I have to buy the unlocked developer edition or something like that?

The radios on the Dev edition only supports ATT spectrum fully.That's why I'm buying mine from T-Mo. Even though it will have some bloat, at least all the radios fully support the spectrum T-mo uses.

I was trying to hold out until my phone arrived to try it out but I couldn't help to stop by a ATT store today. Unfortunately, the power adapter was loose or something so it barely had any power left and it kept dying on me even though I tried to charge it some. The hands on experience made me feel a bit more comfortable picking up the developer phone, but I'm still unsure if I'm going to keep it.

The phone surprisingly felt lighter than my current iPhone 4 despite the HTC One is supposed to be a heavier phone. Things felt fairly quick, but I'm a bit unsure of the usability of the home button. It seemed to be not very responsive at times. The lack of bounce back at the end of scrolling is kind of irritating since I'm so used to it. The notification LED is kinda weird too since it's recessed and behind the speaker. It feels more like you're looking inside and happen to see an internal light rather than it being a designed notification light for your usage.

Overall, the phone looks and feels great and I feel comfortable enough to move forward with checking it out; I'm just not confident yet I'll stick with it.

gamma

Now that I think about it I've seen a lot of advertisement for the One lately. There are a lot of ads outside and also during the Champions League in TV. There even was a pretty good one in the cinema last week when I watched Oblivion.

VoxPop

Just ordered mine off the HTC website for the second shipment on the 23rd. 579.xx for the 32GB. No tax :)

Tried out the phone today in the AT&T store and loved it. A lot thinner than i expected. Wish I could have nabbed the black one.

HTC First doesn't look as bad as I thought either.

Now that I think about it I've seen a lot of advertisement for the One lately. There are a lot of ads outside and also during the Champions League in TV. There even was a pretty good one in the cinema last week when I watched Oblivion.

I got 2 free tickets to their concert in LA. Palm did the same thing with the Pre. We'll see how this turns out. lol

Gritesh

Man I want this phone in the all black version, I am hoping I can walk into a Bell Store on Friday and just pick it up, but that's doubtful :(

Gritesh

That's retarded the phone isn't even out yet?
How can they already say it's delayed everywhere...

You know what will happen, the hype will die off for me by the time this is actually available and I will not end up getting it anyways....Bad move HTC

VoxPop

Has anyone ordered the unlocked one from htc?

When I go into my order it says

Dear XXXXX,
We require additional information before completing your order.

reKon

Banned
Those deciding to get this phone better not ever drop it if you're mainly buying it for the premium feel and look.

Those deciding to get this phone better not ever drop it if you're mainly buying it for the premium feel and look.

I would say not to drop any phone nowadays. Xperia Z? All glass. Samsung S3/4? Brittle as hell. iPhone? Well, we all know about the iPhone.

javac

Man I've ordered a Galaxy S 4 but I'm not sure! I'm so close to swapping for a HTC One. Upgrading from a Galaxy S 1, arrrggghh!

javac

I was leaning toward the HTC One but that article about how impossible it is to repair kind of turned me off.

This is an uncomfortable situation to be in. Two awesome phones, but I have to choose!

This is my first time getting a contact and it says you need a credit check before getting accepted. If I decided to cancel this pre order and go for the One instead would that affect anything? It's all confusing!

Bell has now said on their twitter that they are "targeting Friday" as a release date. Something fishy is going on.
it's definitely super suspect. They put up the ZL page immediately, they put up the S4 preorder page immediately. It makes no sense that they'd be so stand offish about this. Yet all internal word seems to be April 19th from people who work there or know people who would know.

At least Bell isn't the only place to upgrade but it's definitely weird.

javac

I only ask because my Droid is starting to make loud screeching noises for no reason. Sometimes it sounds like a voice and it scares me.

The phone looks pretty incredible. The sound quality is the best on a phone ever. The build quality and fit and finish is the best ever on a mobile device, up there with the iPhone and maybe even beyond.

The best screen on the market. Amazing colours and viewing angles and it's 1080p and although it's smaller then say the 5inch SGS4 it's still relatively big while being easy to use. The highest PPI of any phone out there. The camera has advantages and disadvantages but overall it's pretty good.

Super fast processor and super snappy UI. The most slick and unobtrusive version of sense and one of the better skins on an Android device.

The only major negatives being no expandable storage and no removable battery. The battery is nothing spectacular but it's decent. Comes with 32 or 64GB.

Yup the phone looks great.

VoxPop

Hey guys. I just went on an accessory spree as I saw my phone was coming this Friday...

Here are some sweet stuff I picked up

PhantomSkinz HTC One Full Body Matte Screen Protector

Normally $24.95, 30% off for preorder of a yet to be released phone. Also use 'getsocial' as a coupon code for an additional 20% off! Netted the bad boy for only $16 shipped!

Charging cradle

$19.99 looked decent enough

HTC One Nillkin Matte Cases

$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qH!eZBRTc6Crtp!~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16Z,!)EE9s2uiQRyBRTc6UkRbg~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16h,!zoE9s5ngyDrBRTc73V,Ug~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16V,!)cE9s4PtnFlBRTc8F)h+!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16h,!)0E9s37Id91BRTc8SU9y!~~60_3.JPG

These babies look freaking sweet. Surprised I haven't come across them before. Love that rubberized looking back and the minimalistic clean aesthetic. Bit on both black AND white. Might pick up a red later after trying it out. They're only $10 with free shipping and a free screen protector!

Trouble

Banned
Just pre-ordered mine from the AT&T store, they were able to add the free wireless HDMI adapter and I get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan carried over to LTE. :D excite!

Top Bottom