• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Ugh. Now I'm starting to regret this.

I personally almost never crop my images especially at 100% zoom so the lack of finer details when you're zooming to that level really doesn't bother me at all. When you consider how often anyones really blowing these pictures up or displaying them at resolutions higher than 1080p it really is inconsequential imo. The aggressive digital noise is all software related and can be tweaked. What I like is just how wide the aperture is on the One. You can take in so much of a scene on a single shot. If you're planning on doing large print outs of your mobile photos though this may not be the phone for you.

Jigolo

Beats me, my wife's dad has been with AT&T for like 20 years lol. I don't know what the hell he does, but he can talk his way into anything. Spoke with them on the phone for a couple hours before landing me a free one :D

That's pretty awesome.

How so?

I think the test results showed strength in the camera

Well the one thing it pointed out seems to be a common trend about the quality of the camera. Lots of digital noise in bright daylight shots and lacking detail and clarity compared to other cameras. Heck even in the summary at the end it says overall that the iPhone 5 has a better camera overall. I came away with it as it's good in some areas, and it's just okay in others and even kinda meh in some ways. I've got a little girl so I do take some importance of the camera quality as a factor.

MarkusRJR

I really want that 32gb unlocked model but I'm in Canada. Fuck the world. :(

Any chance they'll be selling them after launch or it just a preorder thing?

Milchjon

c't, maybe the most thorough and respected German computer/hardware magazine, said the screen "blows away" the Xperia's.

Well the one thing it pointed out seems to be a common trend about the quality of the camera. Lots of digital noise in bright daylight shots and lacking detail and clarity compared to other cameras. Heck even in the summary at the end it says overall that the iPhone 5 has a better camera overall. I came away with it as it's good in some areas, and it's just okay in others and even kinda meh in some ways. I've got a little girl so I do take some importance of the camera quality as a factor.

I think it looked very comparable to an iPhone 5. Obviously superior in the lowlight shots.

The iPhone 5 has the best camera quality out of any mobile device on the market in my opinion so being close to that With all the added functionality that HTC provides more than makes up for any shortfalls I think.

And Zoe shots and the absurd shutter speeds should be of great help for capturing a moving child

Not sure if posted but great sample shots that show off the camera + camera tweaking. Normal shots:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39841625&postcount=3640 (some of these are really impressive, scroll through the whole page in the thread).

Tweaking: http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...s-review_id41691#2-Sharpness-slider-set-on--1

that contrast tweak, big difference :/

Ya, the +1 contrast and -1 sharpness look like good settings.

At first I prefer the look of the lumia 920's shots, but once they do the 100% crop pixel comparison it becomes evident that the HTC one does capture more detail.

What is the best way to go about pre-ordering this for T-Mobile. I think TMOBILE updated their rate plans to include no contracts, but I'm not sure if this includes the HTC one.

abuC

So, I'm planning on buying this phone, what would be the best place to get it from? I'd like to get a extended warranty of some kind.

dayam 100 trade in rebate, the free htv media link from AT&T and the $299 for the 64gig model (not including the $100 rebate) the One is too good to pass up.

coming from an One X, galaxy S3 and nokia pureview 808....I wanted to get out of this expensive hobby =(

I wonder how really nice looking the phone is in person? I still think the galaxy nexus is the best looking android phone.

VoxPop

So, I'm planning on buying this phone, what would be the best place to get it from? I'd like to get a extended warranty of some kind.

Yeah I was really sad when I was just about to order it, it said out of stock for both the 32GB and 64GB Dev Edition on HTC's site.

Probably just going to wait till they have the black one available or bite on the AT&T one if I get desperate =T

My wife's contract is up on her htc inspire 4g, thinking of getting this. I dont know much about Android phones like you guys but how big of an upgrade will it be ?

Jado

Banned

Overall, I preferred the smartphone shots to the point-and-shoot for this example: Though they didn’t pick up as much detail, the smartphones captured more-vibrant colors.
macro_labels-100032642-orig.png

WTF? That's just wrong. Artificial, neon colors with washed-out details does not equal a better photo. You want the more natural colors of the Canon photo, which you can then saturate with some level of control and preservation of detail.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I hope HTC can fulfill the orders for the unlocked and dev editions. XDA is having a fit at the moment

Looks like most/all retail AT&T stores have a demo unit of the HTC one now up and running. Just checked it out myself. Gorgeous device reaffirmed my purchase but man the buttons on it are literally completely flush with the device and there is a LOT of AT&T bloat.

MarkusRJR

If I purchase the Telus HTC One and unlock it, will the unlocking be permanent?

I ask because my friend's smartphone reverted back to being locked after an update. Speaking of updates, will I get the updates at the same time as a normal Telus HTC One even after unlocking it? I'm sort of a noob with unlocking and how it works so some clarification would be nice. :p

Fuck me, I would be at the bottom of the page.

What are some popular sites/forums for keeping up with Android news and such? I know about XDA Developers since I rooted my Kindle Fire years ago but I am new to Android from iOS.

Top Bottom