• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

DaveH

I've been a HTC fan since the HD2 and have been anticipating this phone, but a recent move means that I'm outside of AT&T's LTE network, but well within Verizon's. :(

I know the official word was, "Check out the DNA", but now that One's branding is taking off, what do you think the prospects for a One on Big Red in the near future are?

Jigolo

I've been a HTC fan since the HD2 and have been anticipating this phone, but a recent move means that I'm outside of AT&T's LTE network, but well within Verizon's. :(

I know the official word was, "Check out the DNA", but now that One's branding is taking off, what do you think the prospects for a One on Big Red in the near future are?
2-3 months from now so I'd wait.

VoxPop

They will release one with red stripes and a giant Verizon Logo instead of the HTC one in the back. Also red bezel and somehow manage to get a verizon checkmark on the aluminum part of the front grill. Special Droid Edition. You will love it.

SarBear

I've been calling around to nearly every Best Buy within 20 miles of me trying to track one down for possible early sales. Plus they all claim they'll price match walmart.com's price, too. No go so far.

All the retail ATT stores have been completely clueless.

I've been calling around to nearly every Best Buy within 20 miles of me trying to track one down for possible early sales. Plus they all claim they'll price match walmart.com's price, too. No go so far.

All the retail ATT stores have been completely clueless.

Best Buy can't sell you one early. Unless things have changed, their system won't scan it as a sale until day of.

outsidah

Received my 32GB silver today. Very impressed so far. The screen is gorgeous, the speakers are nice and loud and the phone is very quick. Sense also is less intrusive then ever before which is huge for me because I hated it. Stock keyboard is also nice.

I have only had it for a few hours but cant really complain about anything right now except that it doesn't run 4.2 and the home button on the right side vs. the middle. I would have preferred the stock 3 buttons.

Definitely the nicest Android device I have ever had and I've had many.

Jigolo

Received my 32GB silver today. Very impressed so far. The screen is gorgeous, the speakers are nice and loud and the phone is very quick. Sense also is less intrusive then ever before which is huge for me because I hated it. Stock keyboard is also nice.

I have only had it for a few hours but cant really complain about anything right now except that it doesn't run 4.2 and the home button on the right side vs. the middle. I would have preferred the stock 3 buttons.

damn I'm so hyped for this phone. I've watch and read about every review.

It's like a reverse of last year.
I was way way more hype about the s3 than the oneX.

Now I'm not even hype about the s4.

I can't wait till mine arrives.

Trouble

Banned
HTC has absolutely nothing over the S4. If you want your hand to freeze, sure, all for the aluminum back.

The phones are mostly a wash spec-wise, but there is one thing the HTC One has over every other phone out there.

The dual front facing speakers. It sounds better than any phone I have ever seen. I wasn't expecting that when I checked it out in the store.

So there's that.

The phones are mostly a wash spec-wise, but there is one thing the HTC One has over every other phone out there.

The dual front facing speakers. It sounds better than any phone I have ever seen. I wasn't expecting that when I checked it out in the store.

So there's that.

Until shown otherwise, low light camera performance is an edge too.

So there's that.

You just made me completely aware of the fact that the speaker on my S3 is on the back. All along I would place the phone's screen facing the floor (to hear the sound coming through the speaker clearly) and think nothing of it.

Trouble

Banned
You just made me completely aware of the fact that the speaker on my S3 is on the back. All along I would place the phone's screen facing the floor (to hear the sound coming through the speaker clearly) and think nothing of it.

That doesn't work so well when you are playing games or watching video.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Review from Mobile Syrup in the great white north: http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/04/17/htc-one-review-video/

I'm suspicious any time I read a review that unequivocally calls it the best camera on a phone. I think the S4 will have a better camera, and the 920 already has a better camera overall. This is no knock on the One camera, it appears to be among the top when you consider all lighting conditions.

The one area that I WOULD agree with reviewers on is the build and design. I can't wait to hold this thing on my hand, its gorgeous. I have questions about durability and software support given my experience with HTC phones, but those won't be resolved until the phone has been out for a while.

Runus

So Sprint shipped this with overnight shipping. Hopefully i'll get it today :D

I'm hoping so too. UPS doesn't track mine yet, but I have had overnight take longer to track than when I get it before so my fingers are crossed that it shows up today.

leng jai

HTC has absolutely nothing over the S4. If you want your hand to freeze, sure, all for the aluminum back.

The build quality and overall feel will most likely be light years ahead, not to mention the speakers. That's far more telling than minor internal spec discrepancies. Looks like the HTC One doesn't have an SD card slot though.

The build quality and overall feel will most likely be light years ahead, not to mention the speakers. That's far more telling than minor internal spec discrepancies. Looks like the HTC One doesn't have an SD card slot though.

The fact that you can't replace a lemon battery or attempt any sort of repair with the HTC One without horribly damaging it is also a huge negative.

leng jai

The fact that you can't replace a lemon battery or attempt any sort of repair with the HTC One without horribly damaging it is also a huge negative.

That's a good point but it comes with the territory when you have a seamless shell. A lot of people are probably used to though if they're coming from the iPhone.

That's a good point but it comes with the territory when you have a seamless shell. A lot of people are probably used to though if they're coming from the iPhone.

Yeah, except that it looks like the HTC One is even worse than the iPhone. You can get the iPhone open with the right tools with minimal damage; had a buddy who got money on the side all through college fixing people's iPhones and he just used some plastic pry tools and the replacement parts.

The HTC One backing is glued to the inner chassis, and apparently even with a blow dryer it's not coming off without damage.

DaveH

^ That would be a valid argument if that was how most iPhone users approached issues with their battery. It's not. Your "buddy story" pretty much invalidates your point. People don't address their iPhone issues themselves with pry tools and parts... they pay someone else to resolve it. I don't know that an end user typically cares if their issue is resolved by repair or replacement with a brand new shiny phone, except as that might relate to cost or ethical waste issues (but if you're shelling that much out for phone, these might be low on your list of priorities anyways).

It's a compromise but hardly a deal breaking for those who approach phones as a consumer appliance not something they intend to repair or maintain themselves.

^ That would be a valid argument if that was how most iPhone users approached issues with their battery. It's not. Your "buddy story" pretty much invalidates your point. People don't address their iPhone issues themselves with pry tools and parts... they pay someone else to resolve it. I don't know that an end user typically cares if their issue is resolved by repair or replacement with a brand new shiny phone, except as that might relate to cost or ethical waste issues (but if you're shelling that much out for phone, these might be low on your list of priorities anyways).

It's a compromise but hardly a deal breaking for those who approach phones as a consumer appliance not something they intend to repair or maintain themselves.

It an issue now more than ever with every mall having multiple stands that fix your iPhone screens right on the spot for $60. Scratched/Cracked screen no problem.

There is an interest in having an easily repairable device.

Also, no its not a deal-breaker, but when you are dealing with two gorgeous phones like these it will come down to the sum of the tiny details.

I'm not arguing for HTC One vs. S4 on some 'typical user' level. I'm explaining why I went with S4 as a power user, in which case my argument is completely valid. If I can't maintain it, that's a big problem.

I'm not arguing for HTC One vs. S4 on some 'typical user' level. I'm explaining why I went with S4 as a power user, in which case my argument is completely valid. If I can't maintain it, that's a big problem.

A power user? The S4 has significantly worse web browsing time than the One. What now?

So much for a power user.

I said 'what now' because your opinion is that a power user cares about battery longevity in web browsing, and I think it's about being able to maintain a device yourself. So, this conversation isn't going anywhere.

EDIT: Yeah, I wasn't talking about power in terms of literal electricity.

kitch9

Banned

4.2 was complete battery draining shit. 4.2.2 hasn't been around long and its much better. HTC were wise not to use 4.2.

Gritesh

Man all this information on these two phones is making this a really tough decision.

I really like that we are at the point where we are actively trying to pinpoint the faults between two flagship android phones and they are so minuscule. I haven't had an android phone in 4 years so this to me proves that they have come a long ways.
I really can't decide between htc and Samsung, part of me wants htc cause its different, but part of me wants Samsung cause its the go to phone at the moment.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well a power user is someone who uses their phone for much longer than a typical consumer. Not sure what he's referring to.

When I think "Power User" I think more along the lines of someone who goes above and beyond while using their device and not just using it longer. People who like to root, use SD-EXT, upgrade their battery or maintain their device on their own, etc. The ones who really get into their hardware.

When I think "Power User" I think more along the lines of someone who goes above and beyond while using their device and not just using it longer. People who like to root, use SD-EXT, upgrade their battery or maintain their device on their own, etc. The ones who really get into their hardware.

You, me, wikipedia, dictionary.com, and every other source agree. Get what I'm saying now, Mossy?

I really like that we are at the point where we are actively trying to pinpoint the faults between two flagship android phones and they are so minuscule. I haven't had an android phone in 4 years so this to me proves that they have come a long ways.

Yes, this is the big takeaway. Competition is great. Hopefully the HTC One does well and dislodges Samsung's complacency as a result.

Gritesh

The only thing I really want out of my phone is a bigger screen and the ability to use 4g for streaming videos.

I've had an iPhone 16gb for years and could care less about adding storage or changing the battery.
I just want something that looks and feels like its worth the money I pay every month and something that can finally get me on 4g

You, me, wikipedia, dictionary.com, and every other source agree. Get what I'm saying now, Mossy?

Well taking it like that, wouldn't you want a phone with good xda support for instance? I heard CM wasn't even thinking of supporting it, but are in full swing for the One.

At least that was a month ago.

I'm a pretty big Samsung guy, love a lot of their devices (have a Samsung camera, phone, fridge, and others) but I'm just tired of their conservativeness. I hate the S4's design. I can barely tell it apart from the S3, and that really really irks me. That's just a personal thing with me.

It just didn't seem like anything new. HTC looks like they're really, really trying to set the bar high compared to their older phones. I appreciate that effort.

Top Bottom