• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Certinty

Is £35 upfront, £20.50 a month for 24 months with 300 mins, unlimited texts and 1.5GB of internet decent? I hardly call and mainly text and I have Wi-Fi at home and uni.
That's a great deal!

Is this deal just for you? If not where can it be seen?

Jigolo

Has there been any word on the T-Mo version? Other than that HTC Email sign up I really haven't heard much about this phone on TM. Price? No contract pricing plan? Release?

I really want one and this lack of info is killing me.

what lack of info? did you even read this page alone of the thread? You know what nvm. Just go here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/t-mo...launch-date-on-twitter-wi-fi-calling-and-all/

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/htc-...vice-appears-to-be-free-of-t-mobile-branding/

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/second-screenshot-confirms-april-24th-htc-one-launch-date/

Off contract price for 32gb is $579.99

BFIB

My wife bought me the Nexus 10, so I'm thinking of selling my Nexus 7 + Sprint GS3 and paying the difference for the phone directly from HTC.

Gritesh

So I got to hold this and play with it at the telus store in edmonton.

The screen is something else coming from an iPhone 4S, the size and clarity is something else that's for sure.

I asked him about this or the gs4 and he really started to push me towards the gs4 but I definitely think this will be the phone for me.

The screen is something else coming from an iPhone 4S, the size and clarity is something else that's for sure.

I asked him about this or the gs4 and he really started to push me towards the gs4 but I definitely think this will be the phone for me.
I was in a store today for the lulz and the guy asked me what I wanted to do, I said I was still deciding, I mentioned I might get the One, who knows, and he started pushing me to S4 heavily (even the S3).

No doubt they ordered tons of stock for the S4 and want to get them sold. Probably want to get rid of S3s as well.

Gritesh

The one thing he did say was that he has held both the htc one and the gs4 and he said te one certainly does have more of a premium feel to it over the gs4, his argument for the gs4 was the s voice, s drive, s fit options.

I think I'm going to just buy the one off contract and sell my iPhone 4S to recoup some of the cost

1. If it's the same size and an LTE capable SIM, then you should be good. I have no idea what they put in the iPhone 4.

2. Talk to someone at AT&T and they should be able to convert your account and keep you grandfathered on unlimited. If they say you can't keep unlimited hang up and call back to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Damn, even Googling it, it's not clear if I need to upgrade my micro sim card or not from my iPhone 4. It's the same size sim I believe, but there's some people saying you need a new one to get it to work and others are saying you don't.

For the record, at the moment, I don't care about LTE, I just want the phone to work and I'm fine with 3G. I was hoping this would be as simple as popping in my sim card and not having to deal with anyone to try out the phone. That way my wife and I can just swap out our sim cards and we can both try out the phone. It's going to be a hassle if we both have to go to an AT&T store to swap sims and stuff.

So I read on Android Central that the reason why the Black version is delayed is because of manufacturing defects just like iPhone 5 scratch/finish issues, which is why there's no ETA for it.

If that's the case I'm just going to get the Silver version. I'm not going to wait around for who knows how long until they finally fix it because as much as I like the Black it's just not worth it.

Sounds legit. I was in love with the black version until i saw how my friends black iPhone 5 is holding up naked.

The silver is still a very nice design as well. My 2009 MBP still looks brand new despite quit a bit of travel, so that ultimately swayed me towards the silver one.

The one thing he did say was that he has held both the htc one and the gs4 and he said te one certainly does have more of a premium feel to it over the gs4, his argument for the gs4 was the s voice, s drive, s fit options.

I think I'm going to just buy the one off contract and sell my iPhone 4S to recoup some of the cost

Thinking of doing the same just because I am really curious how the Note III is going to turn out. That thing will prolly be really expensive off contract so I'll just save my upgrade for that and sell my iphone to offset some of the One's cost.

Gannd

Banned

I've found store employees at a wireless company are located keep GameStop employees. Terrible.

reKon

Banned
I was in a store today for the lulz and the guy asked me what I wanted to do, I said I was still deciding, I mentioned I might get the One, who knows, and he started pushing me to S4 heavily (even the S3).

No doubt they ordered tons of stock for the S4 and want to get them sold. Probably want to get rid of S3s as well.

Despite me rarely dropping phones, I'm scared of going caseless with the One because if it falls the aluminum is very likely to dent and the screen could break. Therefore for me it would be only the speakers that would be the major benefit while using the phone. I would not want a case on this beauty.

So yeah, I think I'm going to end up going with the S4, which will offer the better performance and faster updates. I'll pray that the Motorola and Google's baby descends down from the sky's and brings glory to world.

Despite me rarely dropping phones, I'm scared of going caseless with the One because if it falls the aluminum is very likely to dent and the screen could break. Therefore for me it would be only the speakers that would be the major benefit while using the phone. I would not want a case on this beauty.

So yeah, I think I'm going to end up going with the S4, which will offer the better performance and faster updates. I'll pray that the Motorola and Google's baby descends down from the sky's and brings glory to world.

You honesty believe you'll "see" the faster performance?? It's 1.7 vs 1.9 and the S4 has a lot more S-stuff potentially going on in the background. It's like choosing the One because it has a better screen. No-one will notice.

Faster updates I can believe though.

My wife bought me the Nexus 10, so I'm thinking of selling my Nexus 7 + Sprint GS3 and paying the difference for the phone directly from HTC.

are you switching to AT&T?

from the drop tests i've seen, the biggest issue seems to be the speaker assembly popping out and not snapping back in.

reKon

Banned
You honesty believe you'll "see" the faster performance?? It's 1.7 vs 1.9 and the S4 has a lot more S-stuff potentially going on in the background. It's like choosing the One because it has a better screen. No-one will notice.

Battery performance *

I browse on the GAF mobile site a lot with the dark background

Trouble

Banned
Did the people already getting shipping notifications order the dev edition? Anyone preordering from AT&T get a shipping notification yet?

Edit: Just logged into the AT&T website and it has a tracking number that says delivery next Monday D: Fuck.

Did the people already getting shipping notifications order the dev edition? Anyone preordering from AT&T get a shipping notification yet?

Edit: Just logged into the AT&T website and it has a tracking number that says delivery next Monday D: Fuck.

at least yours is shipped =( mine is still processing

I wish I should have gotten the no contract price/dev edition and used the contract price for the S4.

Trouble

Banned
at least yours is shipped =( mine is still processing

I wish I should have gotten the no contract price/dev edition and used the contract price for the S4.

The dude at the store said I would get it by Friday at the latest whether I had it shipped to myself or to the store for pickup. I'm hoping UPS delivers it early.

The dude at the store said I would get it by Friday at the latest whether I had it shipped to myself or to the store for pickup. I'm hoping UPS delivers it early.

yeah hope it gets here by Friday.
sucks pre ordering and getting it on Monday, while people can just go to the store and pick one up Friday.

reKon

Banned
The One has better web browsing time.

Like I've mentioned, I browse neogaf a lot using the dark theme so I'd actually expect web browsing to be higher for me on the S4 compared HTC One. The reasoning for HTC's higher browsing is because most of the web pages are white in that browsing test. I definitely still see HTC battery life in use as a positive and was of the reasons I still considered getting it. It's a phone that looks and sounds better than an iPhone and that can match it in battery life, speed, and functionality.

Gritesh

So Pyro I have to ask, are you going to go for the HTC one or are you going for the Samsung GS4?

I seen you posting in both threads, just wanted to see what your plans are.

Con_Smith

Banned
Getting pretty hype. As someone who has been Moto all the way (Every Droid phone from 1 to four sans 2) this will be my first HTC/non keyboard device. Never really dealt with sense though so I'm guessing that will take some getting used to but I hear HTC is more dev friendly and as someone who loves to tinker and root this is music to my ears seeing how difficult Moto has gotten lately after the super open Droid 1.

So Pyro I have to ask, are you going to go for the HTC one or are you going for the Samsung GS4?

I seen you posting in both threads, just wanted to see what your plans are.
hahaa I'm undecided until friday. I lean both ways. The One has the unfair advantage of me having had a hands on with it (it basically undressed me). I flip flop every day. At first it was 70% S4 30% something else. Now it's 65% One, 35% S4.

Ultimately meaningless since I'll end up dumping it in Oct/Nov for the nexus 5 or whatever google releases, which is why I might just go with the sexy one. We'll know on friday :p

I was listening to the podcast and anand himself said he feels the same as the review, didn't at first but then he started to FEELIT.

I listen to the podcast too. The thing that struck me the most was Brain ranting about how much he hates SD cards as a format for storage. Personally I don't agree with him cause it never gave me issues. I kinda don't want to look into it ... he blabber about how its better not to know.

I listen to the podcast too. The thing that struck me the most was Brain ranting about how much he hates SD cards as a format for storage. Personally I don't agree with him cause it never gave me issues. I kinda don't want to look into it ... he blabber about how its better not to know.

He's talking about how android used to partition stuff on the SD drive and how some things would run and somethings won't run and could only run in the home partition. I haven't used a modern android phone with 4.0+ so i don't know if that's still an issue, SD speed is also an issue.

He's talking about how android used to partition stuff on the SD drive and how some things would run and somethings won't run and could only run in the home partition. I haven't used a modern android phone with 4.0+ so i don't know if that's still an issue, SD speed is also an issue.

He's not talking about strictly android application, he thinks SD card is a horrible medium for storage. He say something about "ignorant is bliss" and that when people finds out how really horrible it is, people will never use it. I for one had SD cards in my pocket and it got washed....and it still works...so I dunno...

Gritesh

hahaa I'm undecided until friday. I lean both ways. The One has the unfair advantage of me having had a hands on with it (it basically undressed me). I flip flop every day. At first it was 70% S4 30% something else. Now it's 65% One, 35% S4.

Ultimately meaningless since I'll end up dumping it in Oct/Nov for the nexus 5 or whatever google releases, which is why I might just go with the sexy one. We'll know on friday :p

I refuse to buy one until you make a decision

/armscrossed

I've had neither and nothing has ever happened to any of my phones. My evidence > yours. No phone condoms. No plastic.

honestly, for me it's more about the belt clip and kickstand functionality than the case functionality. and horizontal launchers!

well, going from the idle CPU usage inferred from GSMArena battery charts, the One seems to suck more juice when doing nothing...

The One has better web browsing time.

yeah, that's in general browsing though. on GAF Mobile with the black theme, it would be no contest.

well, going from the idle CPU usage inferred from GSMArena battery charts, the One seems to suck more juice when doing nothing...

Yeah, quite a big difference too, but I'd personally rather have a better battery when I'm using it than when I'm not.

yeah, that's in general browsing though. on GAF Mobile with the black theme, it would be no contest.

No numbers on that though right? Either way general browsing is general browsing. I'd hate to use GAF on the awful dark screen just to squeeze some more life out of it. I'd rather browse how I want rather than how I have to. All personal preference though.

Talon

Black doesn't necessarily conserve energy considering the backlight is still on. It was true for CRTs but hasn't been for LCDs.

Bell just tweeted abou their lineup of super phones. I went to the webpage and it lists all their phones, including the S4. No sign of the HTC One. I'm beginning to wonder if they've been paid to keep it low key.

Gritesh

Yeah I don't know what is going on, when I talked to the guy at Bell today about upgrading my device he was really dodgy with me on the HTC one information.

I'm wondering with the popularity of the galaxy devices if its worth jumping on that bandwagon....man I'm so conflicted right now.!

No numbers on that though right? Either way general browsing is general browsing. I'd hate to use GAF on the awful dark screen just to squeeze some more life out of it. I'd rather browse how I want rather than how I have to. All personal preference though.
no numbers on that particular scenario, but a black pixel on AMOLED is off while a white pixel is getting full power. also, black bg on white or light text on AMOLED screens looks AMAZING in person.

Black doesn't necessarily conserve energy considering the backlight is still on. It was true for CRTs but hasn't been for LCDs.

what backlight? it's AMOLED

Husker86

no numbers on that particular scenario, but a black pixel on AMOLED is off while a white pixel is getting full power. also, black bg on white or light text on AMOLED screens looks AMAZING in person.

what backlight? it's AMOLED

Recent devices have had black pixels still have some power going through them. My first AMOLED was the Galaxy Nexus and you could, in a dark room, see a very slight "lit up" black screen. It was still much better black than an LCD could do, but apparently it saves power by leaving pixels "on" all the time?

Either way, that leaves me as never owning a device with perfect blacks :(

Also, don't AMOLED screens use more power on whites than LCDs, making the overall usage even or even worse on the AMOLED end? Obviously this would change with someone who almost always has blacks on the screen, but my experience hasn't shown a noticeable battery improvement with AMOLEDs.

Im not too crazy about AMOLED so far all of the device I had that had AMOLED had minor flaws/issues...the galaxy nexus, galaxy S2 and S3, sony vita and the pureview 808.

the pureview 808 AMOLED was actually pretty good, too bad its wasn't HD.

But I'am kinda excited about the S4 AMOLED.

Recent devices have had black pixels still have some power going through them. My first AMOLED was the Galaxy Nexus and you could, in a dark room, see a very slight "lit up" black screen. It was still much better black than an LCD could do, but apparently it saves power by leaving pixels "on" all the time?

Either way, that leaves me as never owning a device with perfect blacks :(

Also, don't AMOLED screens use more power on whites than LCDs, making the overall usage even or even worse on the AMOLED end? Obviously this would change with someone who almost always has blacks on the screen, but my experience hasn't shown a noticeable battery improvement with AMOLEDs.

I think this is true with my galaxy s3 I would use noled and you could see a difference when in a pitch black environment between when that was running and when the screen was fully off.

I think the vita is the same way though different technology. An all black screen with a small portion lit up I can see clouding in the black areas (pitch black enviorment) and when the screens totally off, none.

Top Bottom