• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

no it doesn't

Go to gsmarena. It does.

gsmarena_001.jpg

galaxy-s4-battery-test.jpg

Nearly all review praise the One as the best android phone avaiable and some reviews had tried the s4 and prefers the One.

Why are the people who have not the slightest interest on on buying the phone keeps on hating it? You might prefer some other phone, but why hate on something that you never even tried. Haters going to hate I guess...

Cipherr

Go to gsmarena. It does.

gsmarena_001.jpg

galaxy-s4-battery-test.jpg

I don't know that I would call that significantly. What is that, like 10 or so percent? Its nice to have though, but I'm not sure I would call that significant. One phone has better web browsing life, the other better standby. In either case, noone should have trouble making it through a day on a single charge.

Nearly all review praise the One as the best android phone avaiable and some reviews had tried the s4 and prefers the One.

Why are the people who have not the slightest interest on on buying the phone keeps on hating it? You might prefer some other phone, but why hate on something that you never even tried. Haters going to hate I guess...

Because past HTC phones have been absolute garbage

Well I don't know about other people but over an extra hour of web browsing for someone who browses the web a lot in their day, that's pretty big. If it was 30 mins that wouldn't be much, but over an hour. This is speaking as someone who spends a lot of time web browsing on their phone during commutes and stuff. SIGNIFICANT maybe not, but I'd go with the word NOTABLE.

Not hating on HTC One. Gorgeous phone. Just don't try to push a one-hour browsing advantage on a phone without a replaceable battery as some sort of big positive. In a year when a launch HTC ONE can only charge to 70/80/90% of its original capacity and S4 owners are on a fresh battery, how is that web browsing stat going to look in real life application? Then again, a lot of people will be on their next phone (Nexus 5) by the time the HTC One battery is losing max capacity. So maybe they don't care.

Not hating on HTC One. Gorgeous phone. Just don't try to push a one-hour browsing advantage on a phone without a replaceable battery as some sort of big positive. In a year when a launch HTC ONE can only charge to 70/80/90% of its original capacity and S4 owners are on a fresh battery, how is that web browsing stat going to look in real life application? Then again, a lot of people will be on their next phone (Nexus 5) by the time the HTC One battery is losing max capacity. So maybe they don't care.

It is a big positive when i'm going to be spending most of my time on my phone web browsing. I've also had my iphone 4s for over a year and half now and my battery still lasts me way longer than I need it to with heavy browsing. Pushing a "oh its gonna crap out and you need to replace it", means nothing to me when my history shows I don't. The 4s having a worse battery than the One btw.

Talon

Since when do batteries all of a sudden atrophy after just two years of use?

It is a big positive when i'm going to be spending most of my time on my phone web browsing. I've also had my iphone 4s for over a year and half now and my battery still lasts me way longer than I need it to with heavy browsing. Pushing a "oh its gonna crap out and you need to replace it", means nothing to me when my history shows I don't. The 4s having a worse battery than the One btw.

This would almost make sense if the 4s was in any way relevant to this conversation.

Since battery technology? Not being a smartass, but seriously - always? Maybe I'm out of the loop, though.

lol all those iphone users have been doomed for yeaaaars. People are way too worried about it. I assumed people bitched about non-removable batteries because they are POWER USERSSSS who walk around with spare batteries. But people actually think they won't last? That's news.

My mom had an iphone for 3 years I think, the same one, and it held nearly the same charge. At least no discernible difference.

This would almost make sense if the 4s was in any way relevant to this conversation.

A battery is a battery. They lose their life over time regardless of who makes it. It's absolutely relevant due to the fact that thats what i'm coming from. If a battery that isn't as good as the One can last me until I need a new one with no noticable change in lifespan, then there's no down side to me in buying the One, and this replaceable battery thing is not the big deal people make it out to be.

If it doesn't make sense to you thats your issue, not mine.

.GqueB.

Banned
You think this is significant?

You'll think so when you're using your S4 and you're in the middle of a GAF debate. You have that one great rebuttal to make and then BOOM your battery dies. You get home and sit down to reply but people have already moved. No one will hear your great point. You lose the internet.

Shouldagottaone.

Gannd

Banned
My phone just showed up. It is very beautiful. It is the prettiest phone I've ever held and seen. The screen is amazingly clear, vibrant and has great viewing angles. Easily better than the iPhone 5. Also boom sound isn't a gimmick at all, I can actually use the phone to listen to music and not want to gouge out my ears.

My phone just showed up. It is very beautiful. It is the prettiest phone I've ever held and seen. The screen is amazingly clear, vibrant and has great viewing angles. Easily better than the iPhone 5. Also boom sound isn't a gimmick at all, I can actually use the phone to listen to music and not want to gouge out my ears.

I'm getting mine at 10am tomorrow morning. Still jealous :(

I had a spare battery on the galaxy s2, I hardly used it cause I was lazy to swap battery and charge it. With the galaxy nexus and the s3 I got those portable USB charging thing ...I prefer those just plug and charge, no need to keep opening the phone just to charge the battery.

Husker86

An almost hour and a half difference out of 10 hours is very significant, yes.

Anyone could probably charge their phones before they hit 8 hours of browsing time...this argument is stupid. These are both 1-2 day use on a single charge phones. I have never heard a valid excuse of people not plugging their phone in at night.

Anyone could probably charge their phones before they hit 8 hours of browsing time...this argument is stupid. These are both 1-2 day use on a single charge phones. I have never heard a valid excuse of people not plugging their phone in at night.

There are times when you don't have the ability to do so. Like say at something like E3.

Well initial impressions from setup (I never got to do that with the one the rep brought it), is that from turning on the first time to using it fully took about 15 seconds if you skip content transfer and so on.

Fastest phone to start up yet it seems.

Talon

Since battery technology? Not being a smartass, but seriously - always? Maybe I'm out of the loop, though.
You're hilariously out of the loop. It's not a concern with phone batteries with the rate they're replaced.

Your Dell's shitty battery life /= phones.

Cipherr

You'll think so when you're using your S4 and you're in the middle of a GAF debate. You have that one great rebuttal to make and then BOOM your battery dies. You get home and sit down to reply but people have already moved. No one will hear your great point. You lose the internet.

Shouldagottaone.

Meh, GAF Mobile Dark Theme >>>> All. So the S4 would last much longer and close the gap :p

hwalker84

PICS!!!

I don't get it, why does the One have a lower endurance rating?

It's standby mode isn't half as good as Samsung's, which is a pretty blunt answer.

Still one of the best on the market, it's just that Samsung's is better.

*high five*

Hopefully it the bootloader can still be unlock by the time I get mine.

Bootloader can already be unlocked. You have to go to htcdev.com or something and they give you instructions.

Gritesh

So I just walked into the bell store, they have them in stock already but are not allowed to sell it till tomorrow.

She put my name on one, now I have to decide by tomorrow!

It's standby mode isn't half as good as Samsung's, which is a pretty blunt answer.

Still one of the best on the market, it's just that Samsung's is better.

Bootloader can already be unlocked. You have to go to htcdev.com or something and they give you instructions.

Yeah I know. But the latest news/rumor is that once its officially release(the 19th) it will no longer work. People were able to do it cause they got it early. If it continues to work, there's practically no reason to get a dev version if you can get it through a contract.

But yeah.. More impression please! Also more One and S4 comparison. I think you're the only one in GAF that handled both.

Gritesh

Yeah I just can't make up my mind this or the gs4 or just keep my iPhone 4S for another year.

I really wanted the one but now I'm not 100% sure if that's the right decision.

RS4-

Yeah I just can't make up my mind this or the gs4 or just keep my iPhone 4S for another year.

I'm just going to try and grab one off RFD, CL, etc. I don't want to deal with another contract or taxes on top of the no term prices lol. Now, if they had a 1 or 2 year term price, I'd think about it.

The One and s4 release date is so close that you can easily wait till both of them are in store to try out which one you prefer. Also with the 30 day return policy, you can try out each phone if you want.

Gritesh

My wife has the gs3 so I kinda feel like I already know what the gs4 is all about, that's why I was looking at the one, something different I guess

Looks like the Developer version isn't going to ship today =( At the earliest it will be tomorrow. Man that means I won't get my phone until Tuesday now.

I can't imagine keeping the 4S for ANOTHER year. It doesn't even have sweet sweet LTE.

One of the many reasons i'm dumping my 4S. When iOS 7 comes out i'm sure the 4S won't be able to do some thing the 5 and 5s can do also. Plus it's a tiny screen now by todays standards and iOS is really pretty boring in comparison.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
HTC has absolutely nothing over the S4. If you want your hand to freeze, sure, all for the aluminum back.

The build quality alone is much better than the S4. I don't know about you, but if I'm paying that much for a phone, I expect it to built out of something more premium than plastic.

Top Bottom