• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

The build quality alone is much better than the S4. I don't know about you, but if I'm paying that much for a phone, I expect it to built out of something more premium than plastic.

There's actually quite a bit of stuff the One is better at, but i'm not going to answer his ignorance if he can't even do simple google searches.

jrcbandit

I'm really tempted by the One since the GS4 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over the GS3 (current phone). One concern I do have is the horrible resale value of HTC phones - the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint is worth about half the value of the GS3. I wonder if the One will retain more value, or will it be yet another phone loved by enthusiasts but having really poor sales overall?

Also, I have to decide which carrier to use. Sprint usually has good developers making roms for phones, but I am not sure about T-mobile. I am tired of Sprint's crappy 3G speeds in Houston although the LTE network has been expanding (current provider). T-mobile would likely be overall faster and without a contract for unlimited 4G/LTE, although more $ when the price of the phone is taken into account.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
There's actually quite a bit of stuff the One is better at, but i'm not going to answer his ignorance if he can't even do simple google searches.

I agree, build quality/materials and UI are the most apparent though. Absolutely hate touch wiz, it looks like it's made by a highschooler, Sense is just way more elegant. Even the bloated to hell old versions of Sense are vastly more preferable to touch wiz.

Gannd

Banned
I'm really tempted by the One since the GS4 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over the GS3 (current phone). One concern I do have is the horrible resale value of HTC phones - the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint is worth about half the value of the GS3. I wonder if the One will retain more value, or will it be yet another phone loved by enthusiasts but having really poor sales overall?

Also, I have to decide which carrier to use. Sprint usually has good developers making roms for phones, but I am not sure about T-mobile. I am tired of Sprint's crappy 3G speeds in Houston although the LTE network has been expanding (current provider). T-mobile would likely be overall faster and without a contract for unlimited 4G/LTE, although more $ when the price of the phone is taken into account.

Being on Sprint hurts your resale value. I think the HTC One is going to really hold up because the S4 was underwhelming and the One is getting rave reviews.

I got a hold of one!! not mine though...mine comes in tomorrow.

build quality is just a tad overrated, but its still the best feeling/looking Android phone no doubt.

After playing around with the demo for a bit, I did notice one small issue. When the power saving mode is enabled for display, it has this very subtle flashing on webpages as it tries to adjust. I played around with a few settings and it's not automatic brightness settings, just the power setting. It's a little annoying so I turned it off.

The build quality and overall feel will most likely be light years ahead, not to mention the speakers. That's far more telling than minor internal spec discrepancies. Looks like the HTC One doesn't have an SD card slot though.

from what i've seen, the build quality is not good and the speakers are a big part of that... one small drop and they can pop out and not pop back in. unrepairable, etc... now if you mean the 'trophy quality' as in looks without considering actual quality in material worskmanship, then yeah, some people will love mounting one on a plaque and never touching it.

That's a good point but it comes with the territory when you have a seamless shell. A lot of people are probably used to though if they're coming from the iPhone.

all six of the iphone models are easier to repair than the One. plus Apple Store...

reKon

Banned
An almost hour and a half difference out of 10 hours is very significant, yes.

Significant is like moving from a Galaxy Nexus to a GS4 or iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4S. I'm talking about a battery difference that you will actually really notice. Like I've said, it doesn't bother me to browse GAF using the dark theme and this doesn't hinder my enjoyment of using a phone at all plus the battery would definitely last longer.

It's good though that the HTC One can take on the giants in battery life

Significant is like moving from a Galaxy Nexus to a GS4 or iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4S. I'm talking about a battery difference that you will actually really notice. Like I've said, it doesn't bother me to browse GAF using the dark theme and this doesn't hinder my enjoyment of using a phone at all plus the battery would definitely last longer.

It's good though that the HTC One can take on the giants in battery life

It's good that HTC can compete with anyone with battery life to be honest. It's about time they turned that around.

from what i've seen, the build quality is not good and the speakers are a big part of that... one small drop and they can pop out and not pop back in. unrepairable, etc... now if you mean the 'trophy quality' as in looks without considering actual quality in material worskmanship, then yeah, some people will love mounting one on a plaque and never touching it.

all six of the iphone models are easier to repair than the One. plus Apple Store...

that's the one video were they both dropped the Iphone 5 and the HTC One...that small drop you talking about broke the iphone 5s screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs

c'mon you can't really base the built quality with one video.

here's a video of a iphone 5 vs galaxy S3..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zQKeAEqsQ

the S3 camera crack on the first drop.....that doesn't mean the camera is the weak part...

well once again...haters gona to hate...

Since when do batteries all of a sudden atrophy after just two years of use?

but they do. they lose something like 10% capacity after a year of normal usage.

A power user? The S4 has significantly worse web browsing time than the One. What now?

what now is power users throw on dark themes and watch their energy usage decrease while LCD panels suck up the same juice no matter what.

Well a power user is someone who uses their phone for much longer than a typical consumer. Not sure what he's referring to.

sooooooo i guess 13 year old girls are power users.

An almost hour and a half difference out of 10 hours is very significant, yes.

pretty sure that 16 minutes is significantly closer to 1/4 hr than 1/2 hr.

that's the one video were they both dropped the Iphone 5 and the HTC One...that small drop you talking about broke the iphone 5s screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs

c'mon you can't really base the built quality with one video.

here's a video of a iphone 5 vs galaxy S3..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4zQKeAEqsQ

the S3 camera crack on the first drop.....that doesn't mean the camera is the weak part...

well once again...haters gona to hate...

those other devices are repairable.

resale value should be good. resale value on those previous handsets was low because demand was low.

Repairable != build quality.

You can have great build quality but low repairability.
but we're not talking about devices with great build quality though. i was pointing out how easily the handset can get damaged and the reply was "well, these other handsets can get damaged too!" which is why ease of repair became a big factor.

but we're not talking about devices with great build quality though. i was pointing out how easily the handset can get damaged and the reply was "well, these other handsets can get damaged too!" which is why ease of repair became a big factor.

I just watched an iPhone 5 vs HTC One drop test and its durability was excellent. The bottom speaker did pop off and it didn't go back on due to it being held by adhesive. Nothing some more adhesive couldn't fix (not exactly unrepairable then I guess lol),

Other than that the phone withstood three different drops with hardly a dent.

sooooooo i guess 13 year old girls are power users.

A bit late on this arent you? This conversation was corrected hours ago.

pretty sure that 16 minutes is significantly closer to 1/4 hr than 1/2 hr.

I'm pretty sure that 1 hour and 16 minutes is closer to an hour and a half than just an hour.

You want to keep breaking it down into pieces?

um....you did say the the HTC One build quality is not good....

um....so you disagree with ALL of reviews that says that is has great quality and material workmanship.....

Honest question, can you dark theme a lot of webpages?

stock Samsung browser has an option for inverted screen rendering.

I have the sense that Faceless was weaned on Compaq desktops and Archos media players.
iriver and creative media players and other than my first Packard Bell running Win95 i built mine... oh wait, there was that Dell i got for free somewhere during the XP era...

I'm pretty certainly there's a way you can force a negative color scheme on Android.

that too.

stock Samsung browser has an option for inverted screen rendering.

Wouldn't that... kinda mess up a lot of stuff. I see if on the One under accessability. You know i'm just going to try it now..

Edit: OK, it's awful. The Verge looks like a horror movie. basically if it's not GAF then the battery life is gonna drain faster on the S4.

Talon

Wouldn't that... kinda mess up a lot of stuff. I see if on the One under accessability. You know i'm just going to try it now..

Edit: OK, it's awful. The Verge looks like a horror movie. basically if it's not GAF then the battery life is gonna drain faster on the S4.
Actually, it isn't that bad. I use negative mode late at night, so I don't bother my girlfriend. Obviously it fucks up images, but text looks perfectly fine.

Ah, iRiver. I bought that Xslim MP3 CD player in the nascent days of the iPod. It's still floating around somewhere.

um....so you disagree with ALL of reviews that says that is has great quality and material workmanship.....

ALL of reviews which had the phone for 1-2 weeks, probably in a testing lab, and none of the reviewers actually abused the device in real-world usage for months. That's typical of HTC devices, look pretty, feel good in the hand, pleases reviewers, and then they fall apart in a few months of real ownership. And this device is unrepairable, so have fun with that!

ALL of reviews which had the phone for 1-2 weeks, probably in a testing lab, and none of the reviewers actually abused the device in real-world usage for months. That's typical of HTC devices, look pretty, feel good in the hand, pleases reviewers, and then they fall apart in a few months of real ownership. And this device is unrepairable, so have fun with that!

.....say the HTC device expert..

I have seen more fucked up Samsung S3 phones in the years i've been selling phones than any phone to date sans the iPhone 4. For someone so hellbent on Samsung, you probably shouldn't be complaining about another companies build quality.

SUPREME1

Banned

Not buying into the whole "fall apart in a few months of real ownership" line.

I had an EVO SHIFT (Sprint, caseless) for just shy of two years (two months shy to be exact). So did my wife. I upgraded to an Optimus G, while my wife upgraded (against her will, lol) to a Galaxy Nexus.

I gave mine to a co-worker (in great condition, albeit with some slight scratches and a battery that needed replecing) who had a real shitty old blackberry curve and who refused to upgrade if it meant he'd have to fork over cash or get into a contract. He's been rocking it proudly since early December and it's been going strong.

My wife kept hers as a back up just in case her phone broke.

So yeah, real world ownership. Two phones. Two years.

Not buying into the whole "fall apart in a few months of real ownership" line.

I had an EVO SHIFT (Sprint, caseless) for just shy of two years (two months shy to be exact). So did my wife. I upgraded to an Optimus G, while my wife upgraded (against her will, lol) to a Galaxy Nexus.

I gave mine to a co-worker (in great condition, albeit with some slight scratches and a battery that needed replecing) who had a real shitty old blackberry curve and who refused to upgrade if it meant he'd have to fork over cash or get into a contract. He's been rocking it proudly since early December and it's been going strong.

My wife kept hers as a back up just in case her phone broke.

So yeah, real world ownership. Two phones. Two years.

my Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan) still works and is in decent shape! must be pushing 6 years now...

IronChef

Banned
Good looking phone, but I wouldn't trade the SD slot of samsung phones for just looks.

On the topic of good looking phones, Pantech has just announced an almost no-bezel phone:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/18/pantech-vega-iron/

pantech-vega-iron.jpg

Now THAT's a gorgeous phone.

markot

Banned
Getting mine early next week! No sd card is lame, but I can live with 32gb.

Gs4 looks kinda lame. Nice specs, but feh, feels like they played it safe after the s3 success. Not that i can blame them.

IronChef

Banned
720p is lame. Why do you need an SD slot? My HTC One has 32gb and with the cloud I have access to more. What are you using your phone for?

Movies and entire TV series on the go, among other things.

I posted that phone merely because it is beautiful phone, regardless of its other specs. And I doubt you can tell the difference between 720p vs 1080p on a 5 inch screen.

Back when HD TVs were just beginning, the average person couldn't even see the difference between 720p vs 1080p on a 50" screen.

Anyways, I'd never trade functionality/versatility for looks, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate great looking phones, and there will be some awesome LOOKING phones with no-bezel designs coming out in the future. This pantech is probably just the beginning of a flood.

Top Bottom