• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

HildyB

Just checked my e-mail and saw I am getting it today. So fucking psyched I'm dancing in my under wares! Anyway to check the time through ups?

Not typically, just a time frame windows. Just wait outside in your underwear, what could go wrong?

(You can call the UPS dispatch and they can call the driver to see where they are if you really get anxious, just tell them you are about to head out of town for the weekend or something)

I'm going to swing by the AT&T store and play with this thing. All the AT&T bloat can be uninstalled correct?

Negative, not without rooting the phone at least.

VoxPop

Ugh this company continues to be a failure. Might just go and buy one off contract at AT&T. Really don't want that branding and bloat ware though. Fuck

HildyB

Ugh this company continues to be a failure. Might just go and buy one off contract at AT&T. Really don't want that branding and bloat ware though. Fuck

Don't forget AT&T charge more than HTC does so you can have that lovely bloat ware and delayed OS updates. It's a privilege.

going to cancel my order for the developer edition..

picked up a 32GB from AT&T this morning. Easily the best AT&T experience I've ever had.. in and out in 8 minutes phone in hand, still sealed in the box.

zero gaps, unlocked bootloader.. all good.

SarBear

Man, this phone is really gorgeous. It has to be seen to believed. And they had it in black! Just plain gorgeous.

And Best Buy price matched walmart's 169.99 price. awesome!

FinKL

So far AT&T model the bootloader can be unlock thru HTC dev....the only real disadvantage is the globe logo vs. the dev version

I thought the DEV version has a clear/transparent back.

Can't wait to hear people's impressions. I was originally 90% going towards GalaxyS4, but everyday I visit this thread I'm pulling closer to the One. With the biggest features the S4 originally won me were the CPU (just realized it's the same CPU, S4 is clocked higher, nothing a rooted One can't fix) and display. I also came to the sad realization I probably won't be using Samsung's gimmicky software implementations and the phone is $50 more probably because of these.

I thought the DEV version has a clear/transparent back.

Can't wait to hear people's impressions. I was originally 90% going towards GalaxyS4, but everyday I visit this thread I'm pulling closer to the One. With the biggest features the S4 originally won me were the CPU (just realized it's the same CPU, S4 is clocked higher, nothing a rooted One can't fix) and display. I also came to the sad realization I probably won't be using Samsung's gimmicky software implementations and the phone is $50 more probably because of these.

Dev version is the same hardware..only difference are a few additional bands, oh and unlock bootloader out off the box.

I was planning on getting both the One and the S4 ....but after getting the One, all excitement for the S4 is completely lost. Having had the S3 doesn't help either..

just feeling the One in hand is awesome.

The sheer majesty of the hardware is like hoy.

It's so goooooood :D

I'm throughly enjoying mine it's a great transition device from a long long time iPhone user

Man, this phone is really gorgeous. It has to be seen to believed. And they had it in black! Just plain gorgeous.

And Best Buy price matched walmart's 169.99 price. awesome!

UGHHHH ALMOST HEREEEE

EulaCapra

I gots mine from Best Buy today. They told me their Ones in black didn't even arrive yet lol (mine's silver). I'm still transferring stuff via HTC Transfer Tool.

HTC One GAF, list me some things to do with this phone. I'm a newb and I primarily got this phone for durability. Previous HTC phone was middle-of-the-line and had so many technical problems after firmware update. So maybe some user-friendly tips and guides and apps much appreciated.

Gritesh

I bought mine today, I bit the bullet and went for this one. I bought it off contract though just cause the early buyout costs and the cost of the phone on a new contract almost cost the same as buying it flat out and I can save my upgrade for later as it wasnt due for another year and a half.

So far I'm really liking it but I haven't played around with it that much yet.

For anyone that's coming from an iphone the HTC software is really slick it will transfer everything from your old iphone over...ie Wallpapers, bookmarks, contacts, photos videos even SMS/MMS/imessages

I gots mine from Best Buy today. They told me their Ones in black didn't even arrive yet lol (mine's silver). I'm still transferring stuff via HTC Transfer Tool.

HTC One GAF, list me some things to do with this phone. I'm a newb and I primarily got this phone for durability. Previous HTC phone was middle-of-the-line and had so many technical problems after firmware update. So maybe some user-friendly tips and guides and apps much appreciated.

Seconded. I'm an iPhone switcher and am kinda lost right now. I'm pretty tech savvy but there's no good starter guide

Seconded. I'm an iPhone switcher and am kinda lost right now. I'm pretty tech savvy but there's no good starter guide
there's too much you can do in android, that's half the fun! Explore explore explore.

But here is a starter. Replace the default HTC keyboard with Swiftkey from the play store. You're welcome! Also if you don't like blinkfeed then just create a new screen or two to the right of it and make the furthest one your homescreen. Would have to go out of your way to get back to it.

Also set up google now if you like by holding down the home button. Also if you don't like sense for some reason then get nova/apex launcher and go nuts with customizing. Also throw on the quick toggle widget somewhere on one of your screens, useful until they update to 4.2.

FinKL

Mess around with Widgets + Live Wallpapers from the Store?

Also, I agree with the "explore" sentiment. I would go through every option in Settings to get a understand of where everything is and what settings you can adjust. (I turn off auto rotate, haptic feedback etc.) Hit that on-screen menu button at different areas/apps to get more options.

I'll be switching from IPhone over to this also. Think I'm going to go with T-Mobile, tired of Sprint's shitty coverage and slow 3G speeds.

Mess around with Widgets + Live Wallpapers from the Store?

Also, I agree with the "explore" sentiment. I would go through every option in Settings to get a understand of where everything is and what settings you can adjust. (I turn off auto rotate, haptic feedback etc.) Hit that on-screen menu button at different areas/apps to get more options.
yeah turning off haptic feedback is a must for any new android phone, that shite eats battery for little benefit. But yeah just go nuts exploring if it's your first android phone. There's literally too much to mention.

there's too much you can do in android, that's half the fun! Explore explore explore.

But here is a starter. Replace the default HTC keyboard with Swiftkey from the play store. You're welcome! Also if you don't like blinkfeed then just create a new screen or two to the right of it and make the furthest one your homescreen. Would have to go out of your way to get back to it.

Also set up google now if you like by holding down the home button. Also if you don't like sense for some reason then get nova/apex launcher and go nuts with customizing. Also throw on the quick toggle widget somewhere on one of your screens, useful until they update to 4.2.

I've been using Swiftkey now for a couple of days and it is awesome. One thing that's been bothering me is how many apps have the overflow options button. Facebook, and Dolphin (which I was really excited to use on Android) both have it for example. Is there a way to get rid of it?

buhdeh

I've been using Swiftkey now for a couple of days and it is awesome. One thing that's been bothering me is how many apps have the overflow options button. Facebook, and Dolphin (which I was really excited to use on Android) both have it for example. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Not sure but that's poor app design and you should give a 1-star rating to any app that still uses a legacy menu button.

i expect more pics from all of you lames. pics of your ones. pics from your ones. collages. instagram filtered shots... where they at?!?

maybe some videos too, and some zoes.. but no drop tests, leave those to the professionals.

I'm at work until 9, so no sharing from me unfortunately :(

Edit: On a side note, I regretfully have to admit that I *think* my One has an issue. On bright screens there's a very subtle flickering of the white background. It happens on both the web browser and apps like twitter and facebook. I tried turning off the power saving function of the display, and automatic brightness, and it's still there. It's hardly noticable but it's there, so I recommend anyone with one to check theirs. Hopefully I wont need a new one already. bahh

KingRAW

Neo Member
The funny thing is, it's actually heavier than the iPhone 4.

Wow, it probably my mind playing tricks on me because of how the dimensions are on this device. It's almost so light I feel like it should weigh more for what I paid. That's what happens when you've been lugging a HTC EVO around for 2 1/2 years.

I would take it back immediately. May as well be sure.

I have Best Buys exchange program so if it continues I get a straight swap anyway. I emailed HTC to see if they knew about it. I'd rather have a software fix than have to reload everything all over again. You'd be amazed at how much i've actually installed and changed on this thing.

Gannd

Banned
This thing is so fast and smooth! A coworker thought it was the new iPhone and I had it because I used to work for Apple. So sexy!

FinKL

Not sure but that's poor app design and you should give a 1-star rating to any app that still uses a legacy menu button.

It's not poor app design. It's HTC's fault, right? You NEED the menu button, and because HTC didn't give the phone a dedicated menu button, applications are using the generic built in Android on-screen menu button to compensate.

It's not poor app design. It's HTC's fault, right? You NEED the menu button, and because HTC didn't give the phone a dedicated menu button, applications are using the generic built in Android on-screen menu button to compensate.

it's Google's fault. they had a menu button, then they took it away. so now devs have to rework their apps and manufacturers have to deal with the fallout.

Cipherr

Thats what I was thinking. The big black menu button is on the bottom of some apps on this phone because HTC cut a button off of their hardware.

Top Bottom