• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Picked up the phone today and it's pretty sweet! One question though how do I change the default app on the hot bar thing. For example I want to put chrome there to replace the default browser but every time I drag it out it just makes a new shortcut

iirc you have to change it in the app drawer.

There was a thread about this over on XDA and it seems like HTC is actually the fastest out of the lot when it comes to pushing out android updates. Which was surprising and somewhat reassuring as I continue to fight with myself over buying this or waiting until may for the google I/O event.

I would also imagine that this phone is getting insane reviews, pre-orders out the wazoo so HTC have to really push software updates to it. It's their flagship phone, If they fuck the updates on this one up then there's no chance anyone will buy from them again.

Still not sure on if I should get the black or silver. I think the black is somewhat scratch resistant on the back, not sure if silver is the same.

That's true and considering the OS feels very stock, it shouldn't be hard to push updates. However, being Canadian, I would be bound to get screwed over in some way by the asshole telecoms. Nothing beats getting updates straight from Google.

Silver looks gorgeous btw, I'd get that.

coming from an s2 from 2 years ago, u guys think i will be WOW by the HTC One?

Absolutely yes.

Cipherr

Moving them S4 dates. Samsung might be a little shook. From everything that I can tell, this phone actually delivers. I shouldn't be as surprised as I am considering the big step forward they took with the One X and Sense 4; but it seems they really did continue getting better.

And right at a time when Samsung put out the same design on a follow up + the S4 costing $249.99 on some contract carriers. Hmmm..... might be a window there for HTC to carve out a little forward momentum in the marketplace. The One will be utterly crushed in sales by the S4, but this could be a start for them.

And it would put a loooooooooot of fucking pressure on Samsung for the S5.

Moving them S4 dates. Samsung might be a little shook. From everything that I can tell, this phone actually delivers. I shouldn't be as surprised as I am considering the big step forward they took with the One X and Sense 4; but it seems they really did continue getting better.

And right at a time when Samsung put out the same design on a follow up + the S4 costing $249.99 on some contract carriers. Hmmm..... might be a window there for HTC to carve out a little forward momentum in the marketplace. The One will be utterly crushed in sales by the S4, but this could be a start for them.

And it would put a loooooooooot of fucking pressure on Samsung for the S5.

called it 2 days ago

so did HTC light a fire under Samsung or what?

T-Mobile pushed up to 24th

AT&T on the 26th

Sprint on the 27th

and that was before AT&T pushed up the ship date!

has there been a price no contract from tmobile on this yet?

can't you just go to a T-Mobile store and buy the handset for $579.99 + tax with no strings?

we'll see how shook they really are when the S5 comes out, I imagine it'll be very different in response to what's going on now.

well, what can they do now except push up the launch date and advertise?
and pay students to badmouth the one. wait, that's part of their advertising budget, right?

Gritesh

I haven't seen any around here (canada). Then again we don't really matter much lol.

we'll see how shook they really are when the S5 comes out, I imagine it'll be very different in response to what's going on now.

The movie theater has ads running for it so there is some sort of advertising for it here in Canada

markot

Banned
Kinda funny that at announcement the general consensus was 'meh' at best for this phone.

That included me!

The movie theater has ads running for it so there is some sort of advertising for it here in Canada

Movie theaters? Why not put ads on blimps!

FinKL

Wow, really wonder why they pushed up the date now. I can confirm the TMobile 24th launch as I talked to a rep trying to figure out what "select" stores would carry the One, and the rep said the S4 is coming out the same day.

Now I need to figure out if TMobile will offer the black one. No one seems to know

KingRAW

Neo Member
So what's the final consensus for this phone? Great or not? Wait for S4 or just purchase this?

Both will be great phones. HTC has really stepped up on this one with the build quality and functionality. If you can wait I would say to get your hands on both and see which one feels better to you. I was holding out 7 months past my contract for a phone that would fit my needs. Being on Sprints crap network, I wasn't really impressed with the S3 and the OptG was meh. I wanted the Nexus 4 but that was a no go for Sprint. Even with the news of the S4 I was not too happy with how close it resembles the S3 and with the materials used. I'm very happy I chose with the One.

Gannd

Banned
So what's the final consensus for this phone? Great or not? Wait for S4 or just purchase this?

Why get the S4? Do you really need removable battery and sd support? If not, get this phone! Sense > Touchwiz. The design, screen, sound, and all of that are a whole lot better.

How is stock on these? I'd like to grab one today, but don't want to drag my wife and mother-in-law all over town to track one down.

Edit: Also, anyone had a chance to put the camera through its paces? I see tons of live music, and I'm really excited about maybe having a phone camera that can capture images in dim music clubs.

reKon

Banned
Why get the S4? Do you really need removable battery and sd support? If not, get this phone! Sense > Touchwiz. The design, screen, sound, and all of that are a whole lot better.

OneGaf getting ahead of themselves here. The only clear winner for the One is phone design and speaker sound quality. A lot of people here are satisfied because it matches or exceeds (which I believe) the iPhone in looks but at the same time performs better and has a much more capable and customizable OS with similar battery life at 4.7 inches.

OneGaf getting ahead of themselves here. The only clear winner for the One is phone design and speaker sound quality. A lot of people here are satisfied because it matches or exceeds (which I believe) the iPhone in looks but at the same time performs better and has a much more capable and customizable OS with similar battery life at 4.7 inches.

Theres a ton of stuff better on the One, not just what you mentioned. It's not GAF getting ahead of themselves. I also much prefer the screen on the One, so he was right at least IMO.

Um...some people do, yes.

That's why he asked.

reKon

Banned
Theres a ton of stuff better on the One, not just what you mentioned. It's not GAF getting ahead of themselves. I also much prefer the screen on the One, so he was right at least IMO.

That's why he asked.

The S4 isn't out yet.. you've seen the screen on one in person? You know that you have options to change the color mode on the S4 right (built into touchwiz)? Also the S4 will likely have better blacks and viewing angles, but not as high brightness.

So yes I'd say GAF is getting ahead of themselves when the S4 isn't out yet. I understand though. People wanted a well built android phone that looks beautiful and is near the best in everything else with minimal flaws. HTC delivers with the phone. For GAF it's mainly about the design and feel which everyone here is commenting on. The One could have had shitty speakers and it likely wouldn't have mattered so that's just a great bonus.

The S4 isn't out yet.. you've seen the screen on one in person? You know that you have options to change the color mode on the S4 right (built into touchwiz)? Also the S4 will likely have better blacks and viewing angles, but not as high brightness.

So yes I'd say GAF is getting ahead of themselves when the S4 isn't out yet. I understand though. People wanted a well built android phone that looks beautiful and is near the best in everything else with minimal flaws. HTC delivers with the phone. For GAF it's mainly about the design and feel which everyone here is commenting on. The One could have had shitty speakers and it likely wouldn't have mattered so that's just a great bonus.

There are quite a few members in this thread who went hands on with both the One and the S4 and still gave it to the One. It's not really that difficult to imagine.

reKon

Banned
There are quite a few members in this thread who went hands on with both the One and the S4 and still gave it to the One. It's not really that difficult to imagine.

It's not... because they probably made that choice on the basis of build quality as I've just basically mentioned. It's not they did an out right review, lol. Even I've already held and played with the HTC One

It's not... because they probably made that choice on the basis of build quality as I've just basically mentioned. It's not they did an out right review, lol. Even I've already held and played with the HTC One

Almost all the tech reviewers online on pretty much every major site have said how great the phone is, and I'm not talking build quality, I mean about the software, Sense 5 being a major improvement, speed, screen quality, sound quality, web browsing, etc. So it's not like the impressions here are from sheer hype, there's merit behind the excitement.

I mean, will you still not believe it if reviewers prefer this phone even after reviewing the S4?

reKon

Banned
Almost all the tech reviewers online on pretty much every major site have said how great the phone is, and I'm not talking build quality, I mean about the software, Sense 5 being a major improvement, speed, screen quality, sound quality, web browsing, etc. So it's not like the impressions here are from sheer hype, there's merit behind the excitement.

I mean, will you still not believe it if reviewers prefer this phone even after reviewing the S4?

I've seen the reviews and have seen all the improvements. Also like I've said, I've used the phone for quite a bit. Look up back and see the statement I was responding to. Remember I've already said that the HTC One had the best design and does everything well.

I know some reviewers will prefer the HTC and we all know the primary reason why.

I've seen the reviews and have seen all the improvements. Also like I've said, I've used the phone for quite a bit. Look up back and see the statement I was responding to. Remember I've already said that the HTC One had the best design and does everything well.

I know some reviewers will prefer the HTC and we all know the primary reason why.

You seem to think there's an ulterior motive to preferring the One, and it doesn't seem to be based on what it does, and how it does it.

reKon

Banned
You seem to think there's an ulterior motive to preferring the One, and it doesn't seem to be based on what it does, and how it does it.

My initial response was to someone saying that the HTC is outright better in a variety of areas of which some I don't agree beacuse it's not clear that it is better. What I did say is that the One is clearly going to win in design and speaker sound quality because everyone knows this with all the reviews and real life impressions. I also said that these two were primary reasons why reviewers and people on GAF would choose the HTC One. Maybe some people wouldn't care about the touchwiz features and think it's uglier than sense so they prefer sense 5 with it's improvements over 4. I don't know how that general consensus will turn out but, I do know that many reviewers would have preferred to turn off features like blink feed. I also know that most praise the media software (the media player can literally play anything and has pop out video) and features (multitask windows for example) in touchwiz.

I haven't seen any around here (canada). Then again we don't really matter much lol.

I was at Cineplex couple of times and I've been seeing commercials there. I haven't been watching any TV, so no idea if they are on there.

Still no pictures??? Incredible. I had 920 and 8x pics up within minutes of getting them.

Here, took the pic with my iPhone 5 yesterday.

8666250410_60b1935640_c.jpg

Top Bottom