• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

buhdeh

It's not poor app design. It's HTC's fault, right? You NEED the menu button, and because HTC didn't give the phone a dedicated menu button, applications are using the generic built in Android on-screen menu button to compensate.

You don't (or shouldn't) need the menu button at all.

It is poor app design because Google has specifically stated that the legacy menu button is not to be used anymore. The menu key should function like it does in Chrome or any other modern app: HIDE the overflow button in the action bar and open the same overflow menu at the bottom of the screen when the hardware menu button is pressed. That way, any phone can have OR not have a hardware menu button and still function perfectly fine.

Gannd

Banned
It's not poor app design. It's HTC's fault, right? You NEED the menu button, and because HTC didn't give the phone a dedicated menu button, applications are using the generic built in Android on-screen menu button to compensate.

No. It's Google and really Samsungs fault. Google had the menu button and took it away and Samsung keeps it around. Boo on them!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Got the phone this morning, probably the best looking phone I have ever used. Blazing fast too, it's way faster than my old Evo 3d.

Overall I'm very impressed. Solid build quality and build materials too.

Trouble

Banned
I've just about given up any hope of mine arriving today. UPS still says Monday. It's been 60+ hours since the last tracking update. Damn you AT&T guy, you said it would be here today whether I had it shipped or picked up at the store.

Nin_Fan

Does anyone know what the sound quality is like via the headphone jack on this device (either through personal experience, other folks, or professional reviews)?

Wow, it probably my mind playing tricks on me because of how the dimensions are on this device. It's almost so light I feel like it should weigh more for what I paid. That's what happens when you've been lugging a HTC EVO around for 2 1/2 years.

I know how you feel. When I first picked it up, the first thing that went through my head was, "this weighs more than an iPhone 4?". I think it has to be how the weight is distributed over a bigger area which makes it feel that way. It certainly feels lighter to me.

FinKL

it's Google's fault. they had a menu button, then they took it away. so now devs have to rework their apps and manufacturers have to deal with the fallout.

You're right, didn't realize the Galaxy Nexus was the first to do this last year. Not a lot of devs are jumping on changing their app around though. With the One releasing, I'm sure more and more devs will see the black menu bar and rework their apps.

Blackhead

Redarse

It is poor app design because Google has specifically stated that the legacy menu button is not to be used anymore. The menu key should function like it does in Chrome or any other modern app: HIDE the overflow button in the action bar and open the same overflow menu at the bottom of the screen when the hardware menu button is pressed. That way, any phone can have OR not have a hardware menu button and still function perfectly fine.

Actually, I'd prefer if the action overflow button was always visible and then the a hardware menu button could be used to activate the overflow button at it's location in the app. That way there is no confusion of hidden UI in different apps. But I can't blame Google much for this state of affairs.

Actually, I'd prefer if the action overflow button was always visible and then the a hardware menu button could be used to activate the overflow button at it's location in the app. That way there is no confusion of hidden UI in different apps. But I can't blame Google much for this state of affairs.

Google deserves 100% of the blame. they either needed to be decisive and straight up break the menu function for all legacy apps in 4.x and up or not fuck with it at all... going halfway just leaves everyone in this situation.

buhdeh

Well that'd be the ideal way but Google seems to have already gone with the hide button route so might as well follow their lead. It also means less distance to travel since the menu opens closer to the menu key at the bottom. Personally, I'd prefer the overflow button to always be visible since it'd eliminate any confusion as to whether the menu button will actually do anything but I suppose there are pros and cons to both approaches.

yeah HTC had an option in this version of sense to use one of the capacitive buttons as a menu button (long press back for instance) but I think I read that google told them to take that feature off. These apps need to update, menu buttons are the past.

Gritesh

yeah HTC had an option in this version of sense to use one of the capacitive buttons as a menu button (long press back for instance) but I think I read that google told them to take that feature off. These apps need to update, menu buttons are the past.

So did you buy the phone or are you holding off for the galaxy s4?

I caved and bought it off contract so I can save my upgrade for next fall when something else has my eye, I never keep a phone for longer than a year and a half :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Google deserves 100% of the blame. they either needed to be decisive and straight up break the menu function for all legacy apps in 4.x and up or not fuck with it at all... going halfway just leaves everyone in this situation.

That's bullshit reasoning. Google has been extremely decisive: all their devices since Ice Cream Sandwich all have the same three capacitive buttons and all their apps have been updated to remove the menu button. Breaking the menu function would also have meant abandoning support of the Nexus S at ICS but instead Google gave that phone ICS and Jelly Bean. You're basically faulting Google for supporting an open ecosystem.

Apple on the other hand immediately stopped featuring developers in the AppStore who didn't quickly update their apps for the iPhone 5 resolution (even though Apple only officially gave them a 9 days notice from announcement to sale) and is now ready to reject apps that don't support the iPhone 5, less than a year after launch. That's effective I guess but not my cup of tea.

I lay the most of the blame at the app developers and Samsung instead. Google led them to water but they refuse to drink. Fuck em. I'm happy with HTC doing the right thing and it makes their phone more attractive to me.

jey_16

Banned
After seeing the silver model In person, I'm not completely sold on it. Kind of feel like the white band ruins the flow of the design. Leaning back towards black now

After seeing the silver model In person, I'm not completely sold on it. Kind of feel like the white band ruins the flow of the design. Leaning back towards black now

Exact same reaction I just had. Now begins the wait for the black ones to start hitting stores

Exact same reaction I just had. Now begins the wait for the black ones to start hitting stores

I had hesitations about the silver/white, but after seeing the phone, I'm really glad I didn't get the black. Too many phones are just black plastic monoliths, the bare aluminum color really hits that this phone isn't that.

I had hesitations about the silver/white, but after seeing the phone, I'm really glad I didn't get the black. Too many phones are just black plastic monoliths, the bare aluminum color really hits that this phone isn't that.

Yeah, I hear you. I still really like the silver. I've always been a fan of the brushed aluminum look but that white band just doesn't sit right with me.

That's bullshit reasoning. Google has been extremely decisive: all their devices since Ice Cream Sandwich all have the same three capacitive buttons and all their apps have been updated to remove the menu button. Breaking the menu function would also have meant abandoning support of the Nexus S at ICS but instead Google gave that phone ICS and Jelly Bean. You're basically faulting Google for supporting an open ecosystem.

Apple on the other hand immediately stopped featuring developers in the AppStore who didn't quickly update their apps for the iPhone 5 resolution (even though Apple only officially gave them a 9 days notice from announcement to sale) and is now ready to reject apps that don't support the iPhone 5, less than a year after launch. That's effective I guess but not my cup of tea.

I lay the most of the blame at the app developers and Samsung instead. Google led them to water but they refuse to drink. Fuck em. I'm happy with HTC doing the right thing and it makes their phone more attractive to me.

you're blaming people that reacted to Google for reacting to Google.

jey_16

Banned
Yeah, I hear you. I still really like the silver. I've always been a fan of the brushed aluminum look but that white band just doesn't sit right with me.

Exactly, the silver on the front and back looks great and definitely stands out but I just couldn't get past the white band. The black may look a bit more standard but it feels like a more complete design.

So did you buy the phone or are you holding off for the galaxy s4?

I caved and bought it off contract so I can save my upgrade for next fall when something else has my eye, I never keep a phone for longer than a year and a half :(
yeha I caved too. The hands on seduced me. I feel weak. But it's a pretty amazing device regardless. Will take a lot from google to get me to dump it fo the x-phone/nexus 5 in the fall.

Cipherr

yeha I caved too. The hands on seduced me. I feel weak. But it's a pretty amazing device regardless. Will take a lot from google to get me to dump it fo the x-phone/nexus 5 in the fall.

You finally bought a phone. Goddamn brah! I don't know what its going to be like with you not being so on edge anymore teetering between phones.

Agentnibs

Picked up the phone today and it's pretty sweet! One question though how do I change the default app on the hot bar thing. For example I want to put chrome there to replace the default browser but every time I drag it out it just makes a new shortcut

This phone is a delight to look and hold.

The audio is fantastic, listened to few tracks.

It starts up fast, like real fast compared to an iPhone 5 or a HTC One X.

After handling the phone for a few hours, man, this is one beautiful phone. It feels big and yet so slim in your hand, the aluminum isn't the best for gripping, but it feels great in your hand. The screen is beautiful. Zoe is a very nice feature, and since we're popping out a kid in a few months, I can see myself using it for capturing little moments. I haven't set up the home screen yet, as I'm still on the fence as to if I want to bother, or just stick nova on it. I was also pleasantly surprised with the earbuds in the box, as I didn't even know they came in it. For little headphones, they sound great. I assume they are probably unbranded Beats.

So I'm going to ditch my iphone 5 thing is I'm only eligible for an early upgrade(199 +250). Anybody know if best buy lets you do the early upgrade through their stores or is it only at AT&T stores? I'd like to trade my iphone and price match the walmart upgrade price with them. Any help is great. Thanks!

It's buttery smooth when using it too. I am in love with the phone. Black one needs to hurry up and hit stores so I can finally decided between it and silver

KingRAW

Neo Member
Please tell me that someone has played with the IR functions on this phone. I LOVE IT!!!!

My only gripe is that my TV won't play MP3's from the DNLA option. Photo's aren't half bad to look at on the media stream. I really like the picture quality of the front facing camera. This phone was worth the holdout and the wait.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Have used it for the whole day now and I have to say.... This is probably the best phone I've ever used.

It looks great, feels great to hold and sense 5 looks equally as great, maybe even better than stock, and the performance is phenomenal. The battery life is really good and the speakers are absolutely godly. That new daft punk single, for example, sounds amazing on this thing.

The look and feel is superb......feels way better than the One X and the S3.

Everything is so quick...no stutter at all.

Sense 5 is such a big surprise...I'm not sure if i'm even going to bother putting nova launcher on it.

This is an absolutely beautiful phone.

The only thing holding me back is the frequency of HTC's updates. Might as well just wait for the next Nexus.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This is an absolutely beautiful phone.

The only thing holding me back is the frequency of HTC's updates. Might as well just wait for the next Nexus.

There was a thread about this over on XDA and it seems like HTC is actually the fastest out of the lot when it comes to pushing out android updates. Which was surprising and somewhat reassuring as I continue to fight with myself over buying this or waiting until may for the google I/O event.

I would also imagine that this phone is getting insane reviews, pre-orders out the wazoo so HTC have to really push software updates to it. It's their flagship phone, If they fuck the updates on this one up then there's no chance anyone will buy from them again.

Still not sure on if I should get the black or silver. I think the black is somewhat scratch resistant on the back, not sure if silver is the same.

reKon

Banned
There was a thread about this over on XDA and it seems like HTC is actually the fastest out of the lot when it comes to pushing out android updates. Which was surprising and somewhat reassuring as I continue to fight with myself over buying this or waiting until may for the google I/O event.

I would also imagine that this phone is getting insane reviews, pre-orders out the wazoo so HTC have to really push software updates to it. It's their flagship phone, If they fuck the updates on this one up then there's no chance anyone will buy from them again.

Still not sure on if I should get the black or silver. I think the black is somewhat scratch resistant on the back, not sure if silver is the same.

good point, they really wouldn't want to drop the ball on updates in this situation

When I first saw the One I thought it was pretty ugly. Now it's grown on me so much I'm planning on ditching my aging Lumia 900 for it. I'm bored of Windows Phone anyway - I've had nothing but Windows Phones since 2010 (with a brief Nexus S period. Hated that slow-ass phone.)

Top Bottom