• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

A warning to anyone wanting a desktop/bedside dock for the One. Most of them on ebay are rebranded Z10 docks. Problem is the micro-USB port faces the other way in the Z10, so your phone will end up facing backwards.

Theres far more HTC hate going on GAF than likes, it's almost comical.

Regardless how great the HTC One and how much praise it's getting from reviewiers, there are people who are already set on getting the S4 and down playing how great the One is.

I think the only GAF here that had a hands—on on both the S4 and the One is SirMossyBloke....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Regardless how great the HTC One and how much praise it's getting from reviewiers, there are people who are already set on getting the S4 and down playing how great the One is.

It is interesting. Samsung right now is being sued in Taiwan for hiring people, typically students, to talk shit about HTC phones on online forums.

It is interesting. Samsung right now is being sued in Taiwan for hiring people, typically students, to talk shit about HTC phones on online forums.

HTC may have spread a rumour about Samsung wanting to change the Note III because they are scared of how nice the One looks too.

Everyone's evil.

KingRAW

Neo Member

My guess is because Samsung has finally edged the Iphone out in most areas and most of GAF wants Samsung to stay top dog. HTC was a major contender when they released the EVO 4G and held a decent market share. Actually from what I've heard is that the One X was a very good phone with limited carrier support (no Sprint) and was quickly overshadowed.

They wanna play that game again with the One, but it ain't gonna happen.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
HTC may have spread a rumour about Samsung wanting to change the Note III because they are scared of how nice the One looks too.

Everyone's evil.
To be fair, Samsung's practise is more severe than what you mentioned. At least HTC did not directly talk shut about Samsung's products.

hwalker84

Held it today and played around. Finally an Android phone that I could actually own and like. It wasn't enough for me to shell out $600 and dump my 920. But it was amazing.

VoxPop

So I'm thinking of just picking up an AT&T off contract version instead of waiting for my dev edition to ship. Is there an easy way to unlock it at this point? I'm planning on using it with straighttalk

So I'm thinking of just picking up an AT&T off contract version instead of waiting for my dev edition to ship. Is there an easy way to unlock it at this point? I'm planning on using it with straighttalk

cellunlocker can do it apparently, but it can take up to 6 hours.

Wouldn't at&t give you the unlock code if you buy it off contract?

If you mean bootloader, it can be easily be unlocked thru HTC dev website....supposibly it will be block soon, so far it's working still..

I was about to get the dev version too, but it seem like if you can unlock the ATT version , there's really no advantage beside having no ATT branding. Good thing the tiny ATT globe ain't that intruding .

VoxPop

SirMossyBloke said:
cellunlocker can do it apparently, but it can take up to 6 hours.

Cool, think I can get a link?

Wouldn't at&t give you the unlock code if you buy it off contract?

If you mean bootloader, it can be easily be unlocked thru HTC dev website....supposibly it will be block soon, so far it's working still..

I was about to get the dev version too, but it seem like if you can unlock the ATT version , there's really no advantage beside having no ATT branding. Good thing the tiny ATT globe ain't that intruding .

Nope I don't really care much about the bootloader. I just want to be able to use it on any GSM carrier including StraightTalk. It would be great if they gave it to me with an unlock code though!

reKon

Banned

I think the only GAF here that had a hands—on on both the S4 and the One is SirMossyBloke....

What are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone on GAF hating on HTC other than a few who aren't getting it due to past issues with HTC or some other random reasons. But that amount is minimal and there's barely been any significant "hate" but rather mainly praise. I don't get some of you guys, lol...

What are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone on GAF hating on HTC other than a few who aren't getting it due to past issues with HTC or some other random reasons. But that amount is minimal and there's barely been any significant "hate" but rather mainly praise. I don't get some of you guys, lol...

um...are you serious???

Gannd

Banned
I'm in love with this device. It is so fast, the screen is so beautiful, and the sound is great. Battery life has been great so far.

Talon

"lol HTC" is one of the six steps of the Android-GAF cycle.

Why get the S4? Do you really need removable battery and sd support? If not, get this phone! Sense > Touchwiz. The design, screen, sound, and all of that are a whole lot better.

There are plenty of people who like the option of removable battery and expandable storage.

As for Sense and TouchWiz, one lets you run two apps at once in split screen. The other offers a knockoff Windows Phone home screen. I can't decide which one is better!

Yes, this phone had gotten massive praise here as it should rather than ridicule.

it was the whole "HTC lol" and whole "High Tech Computer Corp of Taiwan" thing, then people started jumping on the bandwagon.

but you might be right, maybe it was the Android thread that had more HTC hate...

Gannd

Banned
There are plenty of people who like the option of removable battery and expandable storage.

As for Sense and TouchWiz, one lets you run two apps at once in split screen. The other offers a knockoff Windows Phone home screen. I can't decide which one is better!

I know that there are people who want that. It's why I asked does he really need that. TouchWiz is as ugly as sin. And Blindfeed is nothign like Windows Phone, it's more like Flipboard.

Talon

it was the whole "HTC lol" and whole "High Tech Computer Corp of Taiwan" thing, then people started jumping on the bandwagon.

but you might be right, maybe it was the Android thread that had more HTC hate...
It's less HTC hate and more looking at HTC as the simp of the Android world.

reKon

Banned

Android GAF is going to be critical of everything tbh, but no one is discounting the fact that the phone by itself is great and beats the iPhone in many ways. I've actually seen more ridicule of the S4 being plastic piece of shit (more GAF hyperbole) that looks exactly the same as the S3, and is all gimmicks in terms of software. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the S4 to make a final decision, but at least I've played with the HTC One and know it's legit. My problem is that if I got this phone, I'd refuse to put a case on this sexy beast, which sucks because most of it is unrepairable.

I'm in love with this phone.

So besides the removable battery and expandable storage, what makes the s4 better?

Of the top of my head the processor is clocked slightly faster resulting in faster performance in everything but HTML5. Although I doubt any of it is noticable.

Bigger screen at 5", versus 4.7

Higher megapixel camera giving more detail in all pictures, especially when zoomed.

You can use it while baking

So besides the removable battery and expandable storage, what makes the s4 better?

Support for new operating systems.

Including the fact that 4.2 Jelly Bean has been out since late last year and HTC One ships with 4.1 and who knows when 4.2 is coming.

S4 comes with 4.2

On the topic of the non-removable battery: is there a way to hard reboot the phone? I've had to remove my battery to force my phone to hard reboot on more than one occasion so I've got some concern as to how I would force it to reboot if needed.

reKon

Banned

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

Probably the best comparison you'll find. They nail all areas here and for the areas where one phone wins, the other is still ridiculously close, except for things like design, and android software...

I love that both of them have perfectly clean audio quality too because I listen to a lot of music daily.

Android GAF is going to be critical of everything tbh, but no one is discounting the fact that the phone by itself is great and beats the iPhone in many ways. I've actually seen more ridicule of the S4 being plastic piece of shit (more GAF hyperbole) that looks exactly the same as the S3, and is all gimmicks in terms of software. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the S4 to make a final decision, but at least I've played with the HTC One and know it's legit. My problem is that if I got this phone, I'd refuse to put a case on this sexy beast, which sucks because most of it is unrepairable.

true true....I think Im only thinking about a certain few who constantly bash HTC, I think we all know who that person is.

yeah case less is the way to go....but I did get a diztronic tpu case, its transparent gray..looks awesome still. I'll be using it when going hiking and such.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

Probably the best comparison you'll find. They nail all areas here and for the areas where one phone wins, the other is still ridiculously close, except for things like design, and android software...

I love that both of them have perfectly clean audio quality too because I listen to a lot of music daily.

gsmarena is very Samsung biased. I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Wait for Anandtech's S4 review and compare them both

Is there any way to make the incoming sms notification sound the same as the other notification sounds like incoming emails. Why is it even different to begin with lol.

Also what do you gotta do to get the PC to recognize it as storage, didn't have to do anything for any other phone I've had...

Talon

Is there any way to make the incoming sms notification sound the same as the other notification sounds like incoming emails. Why is it even different to begin with lol.

Also what do you gotta do to get the PC to recognize it as storage, didn't have to do anything for any other phone I've had...
...uh why would you want those two to sound the same?

Talon

And I've heard on the web that anandtech is usually biased towards HTC, lol...

I'm not trolling here
Fanboys of any color (or, really, just specific device owners) are going to sling mud at a publication for not saying what they like to hear.
one image? peeps, if your previous phone's camera is that bad, you can always take a mirror shot with the One.
Truly an embarrassment. The Lumia 920 thread was covered in pictures
by all 15 posters
within hours.

Q: Can the shutter sound for the camera be silenced?

Yes
one more win for HTC!

all notifications to me are the same. But I'm fine with them being different, but how can you change it. It's just the sound itself that bugs me more than the fact that they are different lol. It's a bit much for a text message.
this is funny because one of the first things i did on my Note 2 was make my SMS notification sound different from the rest. check the options in the SMS app to see if there's a notification sound setting.

Top Bottom