• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

I went to my local AT&T store yesterday and the guy told me they're expecting the One within the first 2 weeks of April.

That guy is wrong. I just got an update from HTC directly saying week 17-19 for the US launch. That is exactly the same timeframe as GS4 (final week of April). In Europe it is set to launch next week in Germany, UK and France with very, very limited quantity.

Parts shortages for voice motor coils, Aluminium casings, LCD panels and SD600 are responsible for a delay to reaching full production capacity.

Here's the confirmation:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/22/us-htc-phonelaunch-idUKBRE92L0U320130322

"HTC Corp said its latest smartphone, the HTC One, will roll out in three countries next week, but sales will be delayed in North America and other countries in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.

HTC, which originally said it would launch the phone in 80 countries in March, said in a statement on Friday that sales would not kick off before the end of April across Europe, North America and the Asia-Pacific region."

delay it until the end of May!

That way I dont have to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone play with their new toys. Thats not selfish at all!

Yeah, I don't buy that for a second, cell phone reps know little to nothing about release dates

Well, he was the manager.

I could've sworn I read articles saying the US launch was unaffected by part shortages or something and that it was every other region who'd have a late launch. Sucks :-/

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Well, he was the manager.

I could've sworn I read articles saying the US launch was unaffected by part shortages or something and that it was every other region who'd have a late launch. Sucks :-/

I read that article too, things have just changed, I guess. Like mentioned earlier, the lack of materials is probably contributing to this shortfall.

mackattk

So as far as time frames go, we're looking at:

HTC One - End of April (USA)
Galaxy S4 - End of April
Google new flagship - Announced in May, released one to two months after
iPhone 5S - September

I'm tempted to wait to see what Google brings to the table. Will their unlocked flagship be just as expensive as Galaxy S4?

Note 3 should be coming around September as well...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Is that gonna go to 6" ?

5.9"

Edit: just got this in the inbox:

HTCOnePreRegUpdate_en-us_02.jpg

HTCOnePreRegUpdate_en-us_03.jpg

HTCOnePreRegUpdate_en-us_04.jpg

HTCOnePreRegUpdate_en-us_05.jpg

HTCOnePreRegUpdate_en-us_06.jpg

so hey, they're trying

Still can't decide....black or silver, I'm reading in some places the black one is a bit more fragile

Black ones gonna scuff like the iPhone 5. Personally a couple of character lines don't bother me and every electronic I own is black, but I actually think the silver one would be a nice change of pace.

VPhys

Dammit, I wish this was coming to Verizon.

The woes of having grandfathered unlimited LTE.

ADIUHSUIGIF:GIF:ARRRRGGGGGGGGGG

Exactly, I am stuck with Verizon for life as long as i have grandfathered LTE. Dammit I want this phone too, willing to pay $600 outright. Why can't these companies be carrier agnostic, at least with their flagship devices.

They should keep it 5.5 and make the screen 1080p. The note 2 is poketable, at 6" I don't think it will be,

indeed. unlike the GS3, there isn't much space above and below the screen on the Note 2. i don't see them being able to go bigger than 5.7" without the increase in screen size making the device taller.

Why does the camera matter so much? Its a phone camera used to take photos for facebook or to send to other peoples phones

Why would you try to use a phone for any kind of serious photography?

Why does the camera matter so much? Its a phone camera used to take photos for facebook or to send to other peoples phones

I only put the pictures in the OP for those that really care about that stuff, but really that's pretty much how I feel. People are comparing the camera's pixels and composition and lens type and this and that.

It sounds like some are hardcore photographers. Do you they do serious professional work with their phones lol? The camera is more than good enough for what most use them for, texting pics, putting them on Facebook or emailing them to family, etc.

catmincer

If all phones were like the Nokia 808 then definitely...

I think HTC (and Nokia with the Lumia 920) are going in the right direction though, I generally use my phone at parties/dinners for photos where lighting is poor so low light ability is really important vs pure megapixels which mean jack all.

wouldn't it be nice to get to the point where you can take respectable pictures with your phone. That's the reason it's a big deal. Not everyone wants to lug around a camera all the time.

I only put the pictures in the OP for those that really care about that stuff, but really that's pretty much how I feel. People are comparing the camera's pixels and composition and lens type and this and that.

It sounds like some are hardcore photographers. Do you they do serious professional work with their phones lol? The camera is more than good enough for what most use them for, texting pics, putting them on Facebook or emailing them to family, etc.

I am not hardcore but photography is a hobby of mine. I would never think of using my phone for it though. I have a Nikon D5100 for my hobby. My phone is for quick pics to share with others.

If all phones were like the Nokia 808 then definitely...

I think HTC (and Nokia with the Lumia 920) are going in the right direction though, I generally use my phone at parties/dinners for photos where lighting is poor so low light ability is really important vs pure megapixels which mean jack all.

I agree. I think that is how most people use the camera on their phone.

wouldn't it be nice to get to the point where you can take respectable pictures with your phone. That's the reason it's a big deal. Not everyone wants to lug around a camera all the time.

the pics in the OP are not respectable? They are more than good enough for sharing

But how are they not acceptable for everyday tasks (as is their intent)? Phones have had 'acceptable' cameras for years now.

Exactly, I am stuck with Verizon for life as long as i have grandfathered LTE. Dammit I want this phone too, willing to pay $600 outright. Why can't these companies be carrier agnostic, at least with their flagship devices.

The HTC One is supposedly coming to Verizon too though it hasn't been announced yet. HTC issued a conflicting tweet that said no One on Verizon but buy a Droid DNA and then retracted it shortly after. Many other rumors say it's coming. If you're on Verizon and grandfathered into unlimited 4G LTE which currently covers 89% of the country with expected 100% of the entire country covered by this summer, I would sit tight and wait for an announcement. Assuming that you don't just get a Galaxy S4 first since it will be out first at the rate HTC is delaying the One.

I would say that HTC have a lot to prove with updates before they can win back customer loyalty. The Sensation is a prime example of a device being dumped. It has the same specs as the Xperia S and the latter is about to get 4.1.2 and is being considered for 5.0 but the Sensation is stuck on 4.0.4 officially and owners have had to resort to custom ROMs to get a proper Android experience.

Meanwhile the Galaxy S II, a device which launched with Gingerbread 2.3.x, has gotten ICS 4.0.4 and will end it's life on JB 4.2.2. The original Galaxy Note started on 2.3.7 and will also make it to JB 4.2.2. If you bought these devices, you will have received 3 generations of Android and over 2 years of software updates before EOL.

The Galaxy S III, a device which launched with ICS 4.0.4, has recently gotten JB 4.1.2 and may or may not hit 4.2.2 before it receives Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. The Note II, which launched with JB 4.1.1, shares the same glorious future. If you buy a Galaxy S4 at launch, you'll get 4.2.2 out of the box and you are guaranteed 5.0 sometime in a future that's so bright you gotta wear shades.

Samsung has been pretty impressive about supporting their flagship devices, they are still slower than Nexus devices at updates but they are about as good in lifetime update support. It's nice knowing that my Note II will be supported throughout it's 2 years estimated life of contract, though I had to buy mine off contract in order to keep my unlimited data. No other Android OEM except maybe Sony can give me that peace of mind in device updates. If HTC wants to be taken seriously again, they need to join Samsung and Sony in the "We Update Our Devices" club instead of being with LG in the "We got your money, your device can now go DIAF" club.

Jedi2016

But... the megapixels...

I've been saying for years that they need to stop taking pictures that are far larger than anyone will actually use, and work on making them take pictures that are simply better (my first cameraphone took pictures that were technically larger than those taken by my Olympus, but they looked like shit). This is the first phone to actually make an effort to do that. Size alone doesn't matter, and I applaud HTC for taking the risk.

The reason they went with a camera like that was through research. Users aren't reviewers. HTC watched what people were doing, and found out that the majority of the pictures that people took with their phones were in low-light situations, usually indoors. So they made a camera that really excelled at that particular thing. Some reviewers don't seem to realize that.

If you want to take a 20-megapixel photo of the Sistine Chapel, that's what DSLRs are for. I weep for the species if people actually think that your phone is just as good because it has all the megaploxels and stuff.

After all the flak that Samsung was giving Apple for making "more of the same", I was a bit disappointed to see exactly that out of the S4 presentation.. more of the same. Rumors had the S4 as being the second coming of the smartphone, but it got less and less impressive as we got closer to the announcement, and then /yawn. Definitely HTC One for me. I'm up for a discount with a contract renewal in a few months, so I'll be able to pick up one of these with no trouble, and hopefully they'll have time to work out any early problems and get a couple decent ROMs available.

Oh, and the front-facing speakers. I'm amazed it took them this long to do it, considering how many people use their phones for multimedia, YouTube and the like. That's a big selling point for me, I'm tired of cupping my hand around the bottom of my iPhone.

Getting it in black, most likely. The silver is sexy, but seeing as the left and right sides of the screen are bordered in black on both versions, the black phone will be a bit more consistent in look. And I'll have a case on it anyway, so scratches and such aren't really going to be an issue.

Getting it in black, most likely. The silver is sexy, but seeing as the left and right sides of the screen are bordered in black on both versions, the black phone will be a bit more consistent in look. And I'll have a case on it anyway, so scratches and such aren't really going to be an issue.

Hell yes. Plus electronics always look sexier in black anyway ;)

catmincer

But... the megapixels...

I've been saying for years that they need to stop taking pictures that are far larger than anyone will actually use, and work on making them take pictures that are simply better (my first cameraphone took pictures that were technically larger than those taken by my Olympus, but they looked like shit). This is the first phone to actually make an effort to do that. Size alone doesn't matter, and I applaud HTC for taking the risk.

The reason they went with a camera like that was through research. Users aren't reviewers. HTC watched what people were doing, and found out that the majority of the pictures that people took with their phones were in low-light situations, usually indoors. So they made a camera that really excelled at that particular thing. Some reviewers don't seem to realize that.

If you want to take a 20-megapixel photo of the Sistine Chapel, that's what DSLRs are for. I weep for the species if people actually think that your phone is just as good because it has all the megaploxels and stuff.

Definitely. This is why I got a Lumia 920. The normal photos are acceptable but in low light, it's really good versus my partner's One X and my old Xperia S where they're really dark.

how is that even possible. lol

No really a bad loss. The majority think its better. It's one guys opinion after all.

Well the review sample photos surely support the reviewers claim though. The day shots are pretty damn noisy.

The camera matters a lot to me. I have a decent DSLR which I use often, but I don't carry it around with me all the time unless I know ahead of time that I'm going to need it. I also have a young daughter who is almost 2 and I like to capture moments of whenever she does something out of the blue. Since she's unpredictable, I'd like to be able to take good pictures of her in the spirit of the moment without having to lug around my DSLR all the time.

Radec

The convenience of having to carry just one device and still manage to do almost all the things what 2-3 devices can do will always matter.

I took my Note 2 on a mountain trip and used it to do some landscape shooting.

8572311950_64084ebf98_z.jpg

8571185787_986b896498_z.jpg

I think it was good on the screen and small sizes, but when I saw the high res image it was awful. Won't even pass for printing it.

Nokia might have done that Mobile Phone Camera to it's highest level yet, but the tradeoffs turned me off.

But how are they not acceptable for everyday tasks (as is their intent)? Phones have had 'acceptable' cameras for years now.
they're alright. My definition of respectable is higher I guess. I don't mean respectable enough to share with your friends on facebook. I mean actually respectable in terms of photography.

They get better each year and I hope that continues. Sometimes I see some pics on flickr and am blown away they are taken from a phone. But those are few and far between and done by people who know what they're doing, and who knows about post-processing. Would be lovely to get to the point where anyone can produce that kind of quality by simply pulling out their phone and doing it as easily and conveniently as that.

It's pretty silly to say GOOD ENOUGH. I'm a fan of progress I guess. And some sites think it's good, and some sites have higher standards and say it's not so good. Some say it's good for this and not good for that. That's all fair. But can't hate on those who want better. I ALWAYS want better.

The HTC One is supposedly coming to Verizon too though it hasn't been announced yet. HTC issued a conflicting tweet that said no One on Verizon but buy a Droid DNA and then retracted it shortly after. Many other rumors say it's coming. If you're on Verizon and grandfathered into unlimited 4G LTE which currently covers 89% of the country with expected 100% of the entire country covered by this summer, I would sit tight and wait for an announcement. Assuming that you don't just get a Galaxy S4 first since it will be out first at the rate HTC is delaying the One.

Meanwhile the Galaxy S II, a device which launched with Gingerbread 2.3.x, has gotten ICS 4.0.4 and will end it's life on JB 4.2.2. The original Galaxy Note started on 2.3.7 and will also make it to JB 4.2.2. If you bought these devices, you will have received 3 generations of Android and over 2 years of software updates before EOL.
indeed, can't cut those DNA sales short by saying it's coming until it's ready for that Verizon (TM) Launch Window!

The Galaxy S III, a device which launched with ICS 4.0.4, has recently gotten JB 4.1.2 and may or may not hit 4.2.2 before it receives Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. The Note II, which launched with JB 4.1.1, shares the same glorious future. If you buy a Galaxy S4 at launch, you'll get 4.2.2 out of the box and you are guaranteed 5.0 sometime in a future that's so bright you gotta wear shades.

Samsung has been pretty impressive about supporting their flagship devices, they are still slower than Nexus devices at updates but they are about as good in lifetime update support. It's nice knowing that my Note II will be supported throughout it's 2 years estimated life of contract, though I had to buy mine off contract in order to keep my unlimited data. No other Android OEM except maybe Sony can give me that peace of mind in device updates. If HTC wants to be taken seriously again, they need to join Samsung and Sony in the "We Update Our Devices" club instead of being with LG in the "We got your money, your device can now go DIAF" club.

i'm sure that Asus will also have their Padfones updated... and their flagship tablets too.

why even write or read reviews? every phone nowadays is acceptable for everyday use. music playback? video playback? battery life? screen? call quality? speed? os? features? all acceptable, even on a Z10 or Lumia.

nib95

Banned
If people want another more scientific comparison, use this comparison tool. Remember to select scale to (I chose 5mp to be fair to the One) under the image. Suffice to say, the resolution disadvantage of the One is evident. I'd say the S3, despite being an older handset, comes out on top in this comparison.

GSM Arena | Camera Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

Video quality wise, the One bests the Z in detail, though the S3 still comes up best overall for detail and accuracy. In low light video however, things become more competitive, with the S3 and One being pretty comparable. The S3 slightly brighter, the One being slightly more detailed.

GSM Arena | Video Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

I read that GSM Arena review, and all I could think of was this:

Why does HTC still put the power button on top of the phone? WHY?

I think they may have been really set on putting the IR blaster in the power button, for style's sake, so of course the blaster had to be facing the TV...

It's too bad and it's something I'm sure i'll really miss about my iPhone 4 (being able to reach all the buttons and just generally one hand it).

EvetS

If people want another more scientific comparison, use this comparison tool. Remember to select scale to (I chose 5mp to be fair to the One) under the image. Suffice to say, the resolution disadvantage of the One is evident. I'd say the S3, despite being an older handset, comes out on top in this comparison.

GSM Arena | Camera Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

Video quality wise, the One bests the Z in detail, though the S3 still comes up best overall for detail and accuracy. In low light video however, things become more competitive, with the S3 and One being pretty comparable. The S3 slightly brighter, the One being slightly more detailed.

GSM Arena | Video Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

In the camera comparison, the ONE is only labeled at 3M? So take that in mind.

The more interesting is the video comparison. The S3 excels in the ISO chart and is really sharp, but in the day/lowlight conditions the wall texture is nearly non-existent. XZ isn't really anything special to write home about.

Top Bottom