• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So any complaints about the power button position? Not seeing any mention in the reviews and user comments.

It is a little annoying. I prefer the power button to be on the side and perhaps not quite as flush. But it's such a minute gripe that it's not even worth wasting text or air over. LOL

I have a kids I have videos taken of my girl, and pics. That takes up several gigs alone. Add in about 9 gigs of music and I'm starting to get full before I've installed any apps with not a lot of space to work with for taking new videos. 32 gig gets filled easily for me. My iPhone 4 was always pretty damn full. Let's not forget there's issues with network access, reliability, and bandwidth caps. Cloud storage isn't ideal.

y1DQZiX.png

Achtius

It is a little annoying. I prefer the power button to be on the side and perhaps not quite as flush. But it's such a minute gripe that it's not even worth wasting text or air over. LOL

I actually have mixed feeling. The position on the top of the phone makes it quite hard to reach, but at the same time, when I used my brother's S3, i keep turning the screen off by mistake. So not sure where would be the best place to have the power button.. or maybe have a really unique looking power button like Sony Xperia Zl..

Pimpwerx

So any complaints about the power button position? Not seeing any mention in the reviews and user comments.

All my phones had top power buttons, so I'm fine with it. Also, I never accidentally turn this phone on in my pocket, which is another plus for the position. It's pretty flush, so not that easy to get to with my case on. However, that's not a big deal for me. Much like the Bear Motion case encroaching on the volume rocker. Having some of these buttons harder to reach is actually a plus for someone like me. I always end up hitting those buttons by mistake as I shuffle the phone around in my palm. PEACE.

Does anyone else keep getting notified from the transfer tool? I don't need to transfer content, and it notifies at least once a day. I disabled Transfer in the apps list, so we'll see if that stops them.

Does anyone else keep getting notified from the transfer tool? I don't need to transfer content, and it notifies at least once a day. I disabled Transfer in the apps list, so we'll see if that stops them.

I had that, lasted a couple of days and stopped. However everytime I type a notification comes up at the top asking about my keyboard. Very odd but not intrusive.

Pimpwerx

Quick question: Is there any documented performance loss from leaving Power Saver mode on all the time? If there's no drawbacks, I think I'll leave it on and see what kind of battery life I can get. What do most of you do with this mode?

A brief review after 24 hours with the phone:

Build - I'm impressed with the build quality. Fit and finish are stellar on mine. The aluminum construction feels more solid than any phone I've held before. Weight is fine. Only slightly heavier than my Dinc2, according to my hand-scales. The screen is immaculate. I can't really compare to anything more than my Dinc2, so it's a clear step up in size, resolution and color reproduction for me. The phone looks tits, period.

Performance - It's clearly worlds faster than my Dinc2, so my reference is pretty useless. I have no complaints with the responsiveness. This is the first Android phone I've used that's legitimately as responsive as an iPhone. I don't play games, so can't really tell you anything about that. Web browsing is smooth and fast, and things swoop in and out of the screen smoothly. I do have issue with the two hardware buttons, however, as they're nowhere near as responsive as the screen itself. I find myself having to retap the buttons to confirm inputs. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to, but that's probably the biggest sore spot for me.

Comfort - The phone isn't heavy IMO, and the size is smaller than the Note, which I was originally thinking about getting. So I find it comfortable to hold in my engineer's hands. I have to shuffle the phone around in my palm to reach different parts of the screen, but I expected this from such a big screen. I use two hands often, which is more comfortable for me anyway. I do have difficulty getting to the power and volume buttons, especially with the case I'm using. However, that's actually a good thing as I've had nothing but fits with hitting the volume rocker on all my phones, even my first iPhone 3G. Nothing worse than missing a client's call because my phone is accidentally in silent or vibrate. So for me, the hard-to-reach buttons are a plus. Buyer beware, however.

Misc - I haven't checked out all the features yet. I'm still dicking around with my main apps. However, one thing important to note is that this phone is SLOW AS BALLS CHARGING. That's no understatement. I swear it took close to 4 hours on my first charge. I drained it to 3% out of the box, and the first charge took forever to hit 100%. I don't know if I'm gonna have a problem with that or not. Those quick charging sessions on my commute might not be enough anymore. I will note that I've been getting the best battery life of any cell phone I've owned to date. 18.5 hours so far and still on 24% left. That's despite half an hour of speakerphone calls. I'm pleased. This phone should take me though my day without issue. However, if I have a heavy use day, I might have issues getting enough charge back into this thing. Then again, maybe it charges the bulk quickly, then trickle charges the last bit. In which case, I'll be fine. PEACE.

The charge is slow on purpose to help keep the battery lasting longer over time. Something about the S600s quick charge being disabled.

As far as the bottom buttons being unresponsive, I read that you can recalibrate the touch sensors in the options menu and pressing really lightly during calibration. Not tested it though.

Volotaire

There was a charge time comparison and it seem all the flagships from this and last year had charging length problems, I'll try and find the graph if I can.

EDIT : Ok Maybe NOT

53802.png

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What's up with the home and back buttons not lighting up half of the time? Wtf

There was a charge time comparison and it seem all the flagships from this and last year had charging length problems, I'll try and find the graph if I can.

EDIT : Ok Maybe NOT

53802.png
the Note 2 charges faster than the One!

Or I could ignore that crappy external dongle and get a 64 gig version.

sure, if 64GB is enough...

The charge is slow on purpose to help keep the battery lasting longer over time. Something about the S600s quick charge being disabled.

As far as the bottom buttons being unresponsive, I read that you can recalibrate the touch sensors in the options menu and pressing really lightly during calibration. Not tested it though.

indeed, gotta make sure the battery lasts longer when it's not removable.

JayDub

So much of the "Android lag" is gone! This is freaking awesome!

Still wish there is an OS-wide "bounce back" like on iOS..but the actual response lag is gone! First Android phone I've ever tried to be this smooth.

So much of the "Android lag" is gone! This is freaking awesome!

Still wish there is an OS-wide "bounce back" like on iOS..but the actual response lag is gone! First Android phone I've ever tried to be this smooth.

Yeah bounce back (patent now invalidated) was effectively out of the question when Apple got sue happy. As for response lag, that's a Jellybean thing. But more powerful hardware doesn't hurt.

JayDub

Yeah bounce back (patent now invalidated) was effectively out of the question when Apple got sue happy. As for response lag, that's a Jellybean thing. But more powerful hardware doesn't hurt.

Response lag was a thing for every single Android phone, except this one.

Goddammit now that bounce back in invalidated, someone needs to integrate that into Android. Its so disorientating to scroll through a page in the browser and then abruptly stop when it gets to the end.

twofold

Goddammit now that bounce back in invalidated, someone needs to integrate that into Android. Its so disorientating to scroll through a page in the browser and then abruptly stop when it gets to the end.

I felt that way when I first got my Nexus 4. You'll get used it after a few days. I don't even notice the absence of bounce back anymore.

kinggroin

Banned

Really? What kind of lag are you referring to? Its such a nebulous term when it comes to tech.

JayDub

Really? What kind of lag are you referring to? Its such a nebulous term when it comes to tech.

Something I've realized is that people who only used Android doesn't notice the "lag". They'll even use an iOS device and still not notice it. People who come from iOS notice it immediately.

The lag Im referring to is the scrolling in browsers or picture gallery always produces a slight lag. Sometimes not noticeable by looking at it, but always noticeable when you use it.Try "flicking" the page up or down and watch the inertia scrolling. It's either unnatural or has a slight lag. Swiping left to right also produces the same effect. Also, very noticeable when you pinch-to-zoom.

Strangely, the same lag doesnt occur as often on the home screens, if at all. But thats because you're going from screen to screen and no scrolling is involved. Some apps also have lag in the animation. On Flipboard, grab a "card" and hold it, and just scroll up and down and you'll notice the lag. How this affects everyday usage? Well, when you want to scroll through multiple "cards" or just randomly do it, the lag is noticeable.

Its not "laggy", just not as responsive as iOS. It feels very unrefined.

HTC One doesnt have any of these issues, so far. The abrupt end-of-page stop is still very jarring.

Something I've realized is that people who only used Android doesn't notice the "lag". They'll even use an iOS device and still not notice it. People who come from iOS notice it immediately.

The lag Im referring to is the scrolling in browsers or picture gallery always produces a slight lag. Sometimes not noticeable by looking at it, but always noticeable when you use it.Try "flicking" the page up or down and watch the inertia scrolling. It's either unnatural or has a slight lag. Swiping left to right also produces the same effect. Also, very noticeable when you pinch-to-zoom.

Strangely, the same lag doesnt occur as often on the home screens, if at all. But thats because you're going from screen to screen and no scrolling is involved. Some apps also have lag in the animation. On Flipboard, grab a "card" and hold it, and just scroll up and down and you'll notice the lag. How this affects everyday usage? Well, when you want to scroll through multiple "cards" or just randomly do it, the lag is noticeable.

HTC One doesnt have any of these issues, so far. The abrupt end-of-page stop is still very jarring.
Isn't the abrupt end-of-page problem only in the browser? I see bounce back all over the place except for there.

I agree about how smooth it is. It's the first android phone that has felt as smooth as an iPhone. It's not just Google's changes to the os either since my friend's Galaxy S3 has judder all over the place.

Only "lag" I am noticing and I think it has to do more with the Sense animation is when waking phone up from sleep, things don't instantly appear on screen. Which is a jarring change from the N4 for me.

Example, if the phone directly goes to home screen I see the background first and then the search bar/icons.

gkryhewy

Response lag has not been an issue for the recent samsung phones either. My note 2 is silk.

Posted from my ipad.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've read up vaguely about unlocking phones and such and how it's now against the law (?) and that really irks me. If I want to travel overseas, will I not be able to use this phone if I purchase via contract through ATT?

I'm conflicted if I should wait to purchase through HTC site or just renew my contract on Wednesday

Well if you could always inform AT&T that you're travelling and offer to pay them to unlock the phone. If AT&T declines that offer you could still use the phone overseas by paying for roaming. Of course either option is more lucrative for AT&T than if you purchased an unlocked phone and swapped to a cheap PAYG SIM at your destination...

RoKKeR

My family of Apple drones is just giving me endless crap about making the switch to Android. It's very entertaining to just sit back and listen, knowing that I'll be getting better hardware and software in a matter of days.

zewone

Love the case. Extremely snug and completely protects the phone. But if you want to see the aluminum and feel the metal, maybe not the best fit. I love it tho.
Thanks. I ended up buying the case from the Sprint store down the street (thanks for the tip). It's a great looking case and I feel much more comfortable with the phone now. I'm not a fan of how difficult it is to adjust the volume with the case on, but I'll get used to it.

My family of Apple drones is just giving me endless crap about making the switch to Android. It's very entertaining to just sit back and listen, knowing that I'll be getting better hardware and software in a matter of days.

Change up your lockscreen and homescreen every week and keep showing them. They'll eventually cry.

Pkaz01

Silly question but does this phone not come with the little android robot smileys?? I just have the lame generic one. Is there sn option to switch or would I have to download the robots from the app store

Darkkn

What is HTC's track-record on updating devices to latest Android version? It's a bit worrying that the device does not even ship with the latest version on-board. Makes me worried about future timeliness of updates.

Everdred

What is HTC's track-record on updating devices to latest Android version? It's a bit worrying that the device does not even ship with the latest version on-board. Makes me worried about future timeliness of updates.
I'm worried about the same thing, that's why I opted for the dev edition.

Top Bottom