• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
FtlErIZ.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Might go to AT&T this week.

Has anyone ever dealt with this really specific situation:
-I am off-contract buy my wife is on-contract and we have VZW Family Share (or whatever it was called when they still had unlimited, which we still do). Does it make any sense/is it possible for me to move off VZW and leave my wife on it? Seems like I'll be paying a little extra/month but just curious.

Trouble

Banned
Can you guys post a pic? (Edit: beaten. thanks!)Theres no reason for me to drop $650 from HTCs site is there?

I mean, i have a grandfathered unlimited data plan thats discounted through an old company i used to work for. The only thing i was onsidering was whether i wanted to stick with another contract. That and the fact that once a year i travel abroad but an international plan for a week will hardly kill my bank.

Hmmm...

If you buy the $650 one it's unlocked and you can use pre-paid SIMs when you travel abroad.

GQman2121

Banned

-I am off-contract buy my wife is on-contract and we have VZW Family Share (or whatever it was called when they still had unlimited, which we still do). Does it make any sense/is it possible for me to move off VZW and leave my wife on it? Seems like I'll be paying a little extra/month but just curious.

If she's under contract she can stay and nothing should change with your account. As far as making sense, you'd have to do the math, but it'll certainly cost you if you have to break her contract to swap carriers.

Why AT&T and not T-Mobile though? TM has by far the best deal for families and data going right now. You'll have to pay full price for the phone over the course of two years, but it's still a good deal if you want a new device.

I'm going to flip the two Verizon phones I have on ebay and then sign up with TM. I just don't know if I want the One or wait and see if they get one of the Sony Xperia's.

zewone

Anyone try one of these >.<?

Yeah. I just bought one this weekend.

I don't normally use cases on my phone, I prefer naked, but I just dropped my One X 3 weeks ago. :(

The case it self adds some bulk to the profile and completely covers the aluminum.

In fact, IMO, it makes the phone feel very much like a One X since they both use poly-carbonate soft touch and are around the same size.

I feel a lot more comfortable using the phone not having to worry about scratching the phone up.

My only complaint would be the case does make it somewhat more difficult to adjust the voulme, but other than that, I am happy with my purchase.

EDIT: I also think it looks kind of cool, although I have been toying with the idea of dyeing it black.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If she's under contract she can stay and nothing should change with your account. As far as making sense, you'd have to do the math, but it'll certainly cost you if you have to break her contract to swap carriers.

Why AT&T and not T-Mobile though? TM has by far the best deal for families and data going right now. You'll have to pay full price for the phone over the course of two years, but it's still a good deal if you want a new device.

I'm going to flip the two Verizon phones I have on ebay and then sign up with TM. I just don't know if I want the One or wait and see if they get on of the Sony Xperia's.

-Can't I switch her to like a different plan or whatever though? I forget but you're not required to stick with a single plan are you?
-Was thinking AT&T because I've heard bad things about T-Mobile's network around here. (NorCal)

You can port your number out. This will make her number the primary account. Your bill will increase exponentially. I would port both numbers out.

GQman2121

Banned
-Can't I switch her to like a different plan or whatever though? I forget but you're not required to stick with a single plan are you?
-Was thinking AT&T because I've heard bad things about T-Mobile's network around here. (NorCal)

I don't think so. I believe as soon as you change anything on your account you're automatically UN-grandfathered with your unlimited plan. Play with it on their website and see if it will let you. You can mess with the different packages without committing to anything.

T-Mobile just added a bunch of towers and LTE for my city (Baltimore), so I'm confident service will be comparable with what I'm getting from Verizon.

Picked up the phone over the weekend and loving all the customization (coming from iOS) and features. I feel like i still have so much to figure out.

For OS updates how does it work? It seems like Android devices allow custom updates for some devices. I've seen posts before stating various names for updates. Where do you get these from?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You can port your number out. This will make her number the primary account. Your bill will increase exponentially. I would port both numbers out.

Sorry why would my bill increase exponentially? I'm not on contract so can't I just leave myself and switch her to some other plan? She doesn't need the unlimited.

markot

Banned
Picked up the phone over the weekend and loving all the customization (coming from iOS) and features. I feel like i still have so much to figure out.

For OS updates how does it work? It seems like Android devices allow custom updates for some devices. I've seen posts before stating various names for updates. Where do you get these from?

settings/about/system updates.

It auto notifies you generally.

Buuuuut, releases can be finicky. Some have to be carrier approved, they release in waves, region per region... etc...

Sorry why would my bill increase exponentially? I'm not on contract so can't I just leave myself and switch her to some other plan? She doesn't need the unlimited.

but you will no longer receive any type of family discount. So you'll be paying for two single phone plans. If she doesn't own a smart phone though it won't matter much.

RoKKeR

I think that case looks pretty good, actually. I'll probably grab a case after a month or two and I've admired the phone's beauty enough to start keeping it safe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
but you will no longer receive any type of family discount. So you'll be paying for two single phone plans. If she doesn't own a smart phone though it won't matter much.

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah maybe I'll wait though my rickety old Galaxy Nexus is killing me at this point and little news of Verizon One means I'll probably be waiting many months. :/

Peterthumpa

Got mine yesterday and I'm in love. Question: what's the best MKV player for the One? Tried MX Player but hardware decoding seems to be not working and using software mode 720p videos get a little choppy.

Arcticfox

My black HTC One has shipped from Sprint and should be here tomorrow. I am upgrading from an original HTC EVO 4G so this should be a good jump up in capabilities.

Got mine yesterday and I'm in love. Question: what's the best MKV player for the One? Tried MX Player but hardware decoding seems to be not working and using software mode 720p videos get a little choppy.

Try BSPlayer.....works better than MX player.

Did you buy phone off htc site.

Also please let us know where you got the case.

On another note, i cqncelled my online order and decided it makes no sense for me to drop the bones for an unlocked phone stateside. I go to ATT on wednesday

ATT version and the Dev version is pretty much identical. You can actually use a nandroid back up and restore in on a ATT version.

Setting H/W acceleration halts the video and gives me an error saying that it's not supported. Only working via software processing. Do I have to download any extra codec or something similar?

Ya, there is. Download the ARMv7 NEON type custom codec in the play store for MX Player.

Did you buy phone off htc site.

Also please let us know where you got the case.

Yep, I got mine through HTC. The case can be had here and it's cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW18HPW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Peterthumpa

like there is something abnormal about the video you're trying to play. Is it like that on all you're videos?
Only tested 3 videos downloaded from Torrent sites (the first 3 episodes of Attack on Titan). All I know is that they're H264 videos.

Gonna try some different videos to be sure.

I'm using the TV app more than I thought I would. It's really nice. Easy to just lie down at night, find a movie or show I want to watch and done. nice interface.

Top Bottom