• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Volotaire

What is HTC's track-record on updating devices to latest Android version? It's a bit worrying that the device does not even ship with the latest version on-board. Makes me worried about future timeliness of updates.

Rumors are saying it won't get Key Lime pie Android 5.0

EDIT: Conmfused with HTC One X Sorry. that gives me a bit of relief as well phew.

Loomba

Just caved and ordered one, first contract phone i've ever had and coming from an SII it's going to be amazing, all I hear is great things about the design.

Can't wait!

Lucifon

Just tried installing the 1.29 OTA update for the UK P4U Unlocked One and I get the red exclamation mark as soon as the installation appears to start. Everything stock, never rooted.

I have to hard reset to get the phone to reboot. Tried redownloading but no luck. Phone was plugged into a pc the first time I tried it so I thought that could be the issue but still no luck when unplugged. I've not done anything special with the device. Deleted the preinstalled music, Thor video, hints & tips videos. And regularly use Clean Master to clear app cache's and kill some tasks. That's about as advanced as it gets - nothing's been altered, it's all stock!

Any ideas...?

This is at Rogers for $150 on a 3 year plan. I may go in tomorrow to see if they will wave the fee on the 3 months left in my contract. It's about $50 anyways. Need an overhaul of my terrible plan too.

You can upgrade early.

Thanks. Hopefully they let me make some changes to my plan as well.

This is at Rogers for $150 on a 3 year plan. I may go in tomorrow to see if they will wave the fee on the 3 months left in my contract. It's about $50 anyways. Need an overhaul of my terrible plan too.

Thanks. Hopefully they let me make some changes to my plan as well.

Going in won't help. You need to speak to retentions to ask for fees to be waived.

For those wanting to get rid of the fb photos, download QuickPic

It's a gallery replacement app that allows you to hide folders. It's amazingly feature packed too. And free!

I got a lil more hands on with the s4 and compared it to the my One.

The One is definitly smoother overrall! Even turning off the extra function of the s4, it still lag here and there.

Surprisingly the speaker of the s4 is actually pretty loud too. Comparable in loudness with the One...but the One sounds better.

Volotaire

I got a lil more hands on with the s4 and compared it to the my One.

The One is definitly smoother overrall! Even turning off the extra function of the s4, it still lag here and there.

Surprisingly the speaker of the s4 is actually pretty loud too. Comparable in loudness with the One...but the One sounds better.

Would love some more comparisons by GAFers please, would help!

Does the tinnny sound of usual phone sound output like the S4 still glaringly obvious vs the One?

Would love some more comparisons by GAFers please, would help!

Does the tinnny sound of usual phone sound output like the S4 still glaringly obvious vs the One?

I had both the one x and s3.

The one is a much bigger leap from the one x. No rom can make the the one x close to the ones performance.

The leap from the s4 and s3 is not as big, the screen is the big diffence. I had custom Rom on my s3 and it actually felt as smooth as the s4.

Almost every one phone had, I put a custom Rom as soon as I got it....the one is the first phone that I kept stock for more than a week now. Sense 5.0 feel smooth and look elegant. I'm actually using the stock keyboard and I've purchase swiftkey...stock is actually good.

Asking this in both the One and S4 threads since I'm debating between the two, but was wondering how anyone's experience has been on Sprint, specifically in the DFW area?

FinKL

I've been following the iPhone5-S4 threads for like a month now, but it wasn't until that CNN article "Android phone that could crush the iPhone" that I learned about the HTC One. Thread + major phone review sites sold me though.

My Impressions (like most people beforehand):
Display is nice, can't distinguish pixels (haven't seen S4)
Fast, snappy phone.
Good daylight camera
Great low-light camera
Sound is 1 of a kind.
Looks & feels of premium.
Battery life seems above average, wouldn't say Note II status. 100% to 40% after 8 hours low-moderate use. Power Saver On. Don't have phone on me so can't Screenshot :p

The only thing I can find to dislike, is that the phone gets warm when using it (jumping between apps in a short period + on LTE.) It doesn't get to burning temperature, so it's doable. Not using a case. Will be a great hand warmer in the winter.

I remember the first time I loaded up Youtube in the kitchen, my gf said it sounded like the TV was on in our kitchen 50ft to our living room. It's not overly loud, it's just clear and crisp.

Sense is not really a problem now to me. I'm coming from Stock Android & MIUI.

I sent back my first One since there was dust under the screen out of the box.

Another thing I miss is the quick settings when pulling down the notification bar. Fortunately, that's a main feature of 4.2 which I assume HTC will update and hopefully not botch.

reKon

Banned
If I go through with this, I pray that CM 10.1 runs well on this and that I get by with the shitty notification lights and awkward button placement. It's going to suck not having lock screen widgets and an awesome notification tray.

This would hold me over until the next Nexus or X Phone if they are great phones, with big battery, solid design, notification light, etc

If I go through with this, I pray that CM 10.1 runs well on this and that I get by with the shitty notification lights and awkward button placement.

This would hold me over until the next Nexus or X Phone if they are great phones, with big battery, solid design, notification light, etc
that's what I plan on doing. If the x phone or nexus 5 are good I'll just sell it, but if I HAD to stay with it for a year, it won't disappoint. Just about every site it's saying it's the best phone of the year so far for android, so even if you decide to go with it, how bad can it be!

reKon

Banned
that's what I plan on doing. If the x phone or nexus 5 are good I'll just sell it, but if I HAD to stay with it for a year, it won't disappoint. Just about every site it's saying it's the best phone of the year so far for android, so even if you decide to go with it, how bad can it be!

It won't be bad. It will definitely be an upgrade over my GNex due to the battery alone. It's more of the software that concerns me. Getting a stable ROM on this will be a must. After going back and forth between both the One and S4, I would pick the S4 if they had 32 GB ready to go. For me, it really came down to wait I found most important and it ended up being some of the little things that I would really want such as good notification light and a comfortable feeling in the hand. Also, after playing with the GS4, the screen is pretty much the entire phone you just ignore everything else. Lastly, it's thin enough to the point where a minimalist case would still leave it pretty thin. It wouldn't kill me to be patient, but I would hate if I had to wait a month for this. The uncertainty is killing me right now.

Anyways, I'm probably going change my mind again by the end of the day, lol.

I felt similar, I'm fickle, I change my mind often. But I just said screw it and went with something I didn't think I'd go for epsecially if you read my posts about HTC in the android thread lulz. I'm happy.

If I go through with this, I pray that CM 10.1 runs well on this and that I get by with the shitty notification lights and awkward button placement. It's going to suck not having lock screen widgets and an awesome notification tray.

Steve Kondik the founder of cyanogenmod himself got a One...actually the whole CM crew got a One.

There's actually an alph of CM 10.1 out already.

Another thing I miss is the quick settings when pulling down the notification bar. Fortunately, that's a main feature of 4.2 which I assume HTC will update and hopefully not botch.

Download Power Toggles from the Play Store. It'll let you add that and customize which ones are shown.

Nameless

Almost every tech site praise the One over the S4.

Almost all tech site prefer the One...even GAF favorite android police seem to prefer the One.

Just goes to show that you can't always judge the superior experience based off the sum its parts. A week & many many hours with the One in hand and I still find myself stricken by its look, feel, and sound . The phone really does evoke those feelings of "I'm living in the future."

Top Bottom