• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Remember TV remote control watches? When I was a little kid I used to have soooooooo much fun with those TV watches. Anybody remember those things? You could turn a TV on and off, VCRs too. My God the shit I used to do drove me to tears of laughter that I had to put my head down on the table, with a sweater over it, pretending like I wasn't feeling well...with tears running down my face. The sheer confusion and frustration of the many teachers I tortured with those things. They always thought it was a broken VCR or TV. I'd eject the tapes! Oh man, the memories.

If I had this phone 17 years ago in Junior High School, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I can only imagine kids will end up using this feature for that same purpose.

I salute them.

Trouble

Banned
While on the TV app...you can control the volume with the actual volume rocker....mind blown....

Holy crap! Thanks!
rgCBFh8.gif

Tried right now. Same thing.

Yeah, I'm giving up. Though I don't know if the video files wouldn't let me enable H/W acceleration but whatever...

1080p or 720p? The thing you have to understand is that 10bit is VERY processor intensive even for a PC. I found this out when one of my XBMC HTPCs could not play it without it being very choppy. I just read that 720p sort of works, so 1080p is probably out of the question.

AlphaSnake

WEE!!!...i just got 19 hours with 5 hour screen time on the One!...WEE!!!

40% left on my charge since 9:30AM.

4 hours of talk
Email downloads every 15 minutes (9AM-6PM) - I got around 150 work emails today
Bluetooth on
Wifi off
Mild internet use

Ok, I've got an issue that hopefully someone can help me with. For starters, I'm new to Android so I'm hoping it's just my inexperience with the OS.

So apparently, it's to my understanding that there isn't a lot of support for metadata for audio being passed over Bluetooth because of how Bluetooth implementation is all over the place with different manufacturers and it's up to the app to bother to support such a feature. It looks like HTC supports sending metadata through the stock music player which is great, but so far Pandora and Pocket Casts do not.

Pocket Casts is great because it will let me subscribe and auto download in the background at a specified time all my podcasts and then delete when they're played. I'm hoping there is someway to have it auto download podcasts for me, but let me use the Music app to play the podcasts so I get the metadata. Pocket Casts will let you specify a location, but it creates its own directory structure so I can't just make them appear in the root of Podcasts on the phone.

Is there any way I can set it up so that I have an app, preferably Pocket Casts, to auto download and manage my podcasts but let me play them in the Music app under the Podcast directory?

40% left on my charge since 9:30AM.

4 hours of talk
Email downloads every 15 minutes (9AM-6PM) - I got around 150 work emails today
Bluetooth on
Wifi off
Mild internet use

yeah...no doubt that the One doesn't have bad battery life...better than both the One X and GS3.

How is the camera's low light performance with a moving subject? Should I expect blurs-ville?

the shutter speed is slow in low light...so expect blur-ville with moving objects.

but there's no phone that will give you that performance, not even the king of camera phone the pureview 808.

you will need a DSLR for moving object in low light.

AlphaSnake

Ok a Review on Youtube by Phandroid has some issue with the construction. Can anyone calrify this for me. it is to do with the Zero Gap Construction on the bottom back of the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnDSa7o8TQ4

At 3:12

We've gone over this earlier on...it's such a minute issue that I don't think most of us care. I LITERALLY have to press my eyeball against the damn phone to see a gap. I definitely could not get a nail or even piece of paper wedge in it, though. Not even close.

It's nary a hair's width on my unit.

Volotaire

We've gone over this earlier on...it's such a minute issue that I don't think most of us care. I LITERALLY have to press my eyeball against the damn phone to see a gap. I definitely could not get a nail or even piece of paper wedge in it, though. Not even close.

Didn't realize :( . It's just that I am trying to isolate issues that may arise as I might get this phone.

well, to be fair, different units have different variances on build quality and it bothers some people more than others.

Didn't realize :( . It's just that I am trying to isolate issues that may arise as I might get this phone.

The thing is every first batch of any phone will have some kind of built quality issues....regardless of manufacture..

Some are big issues some are very minor, and what you pointed out is very minor.

FinKL

Remember TV remote control watches? When I was a little kid I used to have soooooooo much fun with those TV watches. Anybody remember those things? You could turn a TV on and off, VCRs too. My God the shit I used to do drove me to tears of laughter that I had to put my head down on the table, with a sweater over it, pretending like I wasn't feeling well...with tears running down my face. The sheer confusion and frustration of the many teachers I tortured with those things. They always thought it was a broken VCR or TV. I'd eject the tapes! Oh man, the memories.

If I had this phone 17 years ago in Junior High School, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I can only imagine kids will end up using this feature for that same purpose.

I salute them.

I want to play with Bar TV's but don't know if I can hold a straight face.

Purexed

Banned
I have the Double Dip case and it's the best case I've ever owned and I've had my share of iPhone incase products. If I can best describe it, it's like a fitted glove as it perfectly grips the phone give no give. Can't recommend it enough.

WOW....so far the AT&T One has been lucky, the bootloader is still unlock......

NOT so lucky for the AT&T version of the S4.....

https://plus.google.com/u/0/100275307499530023476/posts/b4AqTzzVKVS

Steve Kondik9:52 PM (edited) - Public
The AT&T Galaxy S4 has a locked bootloader
"I would not recommend buying this device on AT&T if you want to run CyanogenMod or another custom ROM, or if you are a developer and need to work with or debug the lower layers."

cold blooded.....

AlphaSnake

I want to play with Bar TV's but don't know if I can hold a straight face.

Oh, believe me...the next time I'm at a bar and they're playing something shitty, I'll take matters into my own hands. LMAO

1_HC%20C840.jpg

Anyone try one of these >.<?
I have it and I really like it. I would rather have my HTC One "naked" but I tend to treat my phones with little care so this is a must for me. It's nice that all corners are covered and the screen and camera glass never touch any surface. Also there's a "though phone" charm to the color scheme and the extra grip it gives when holding the phone.

JayDub

I get the best of both worlds.

XVs3lbZ.jpg

51vVgWW.jpg

QlaJrXN.jpg

x8jcGMw.jpg

MX Player worked great for me. What problem are you having?

Problem with those clear cases: they scratch up too easily.

So, as I said, my wife got the Note 2 and I got the HTC One. Having spent some time with both..I've decided to return my HTC and get the S4.

I really prefer TouchWiz over Sense. I prefer the aesthetics of Sense over TouchWiz (ditto regarding the body). When I played with the S4 today, I found the "gimmicky" features extremely useful.

The air wave to answer calls is an effin game changer, and the fact that I can lay down without the phone changing orientation (or me having to turn off screen rotation) was awesome. I loved that I could turn near damn everything off with the pull down menu. The S4 is SO smooth. Performance in general was better than the HTC (I noticed), but the HTC has some additions that really improves the touch experience (slight "bounce back" and first Android phone to not be a complete mess performance wise).

To be able to point my finger at the screen without touching it..is amazing. It really is. With the Note, you have to take the pen out and everything..on the S4, I just point my finger at something to preview it. Works great with sites that have Flash or require the input to hover.

I always thought that iOS was intuitive, but man, I get things done quick on Android. Turning wifi/bluetooth on at a whim is great, customizing home screens (or not, because I like to actually have an empty home screen so I can see the wallpaper), call my favs from home screen..its all good.

Im not a fan of the "sudden stop" at the end of the page thing. I hope someone incorporates a bounce back, but the "Android lag" is not on the S4 (or HTC One).

I also prefer the S4's camera. The HTC One's has too much noise, lacks detail, and I realize I dont like taking pictures at night anyways. Surprisingly, the S4's "night mode" took some better, clearer low light pics than the One.

Anyways, my thoughts are all over the place. I guess I'll be heading over to the S4 thread from now on.

Both good phones, the HTC in particular is pure sex hardware wise, but the S4 looks (and feels) great as well. Its a phone without compromise, for me.

KingRAW

Neo Member
doesn't the Sprint version have the least carrier bloatware of all of the US versions?

Yeah it does, and it really bugs me. I know that the phone has 32gb and that they need to allocate some of that space with the OS. However I wonder how much space that bloatware actually takes up. I will never understand why they double up programs like internet, mail, music, radio, etc.

Carriers and manufactures need to figure out which features to load and which ones customers want to download. It can be confusing after a while.

Nameless

Yeah it does, and it really bugs me. I know that the phone has 32gb and that they need to allocate some of that space with the OS. However I wonder how much space that bloatware actually takes up. I will never understand why they double up programs like internet, mail,
music, radio, etc.

Carriers and manufactures need to figure out which features to load and which ones customers want to download. It can be confusing after a while.

Yea it's a shame you can't install it but atleast you can go through and disable all of the bloatware in apps management. I couldn't do this on my previous phone, but now it's as if at&t' s app suite isn't even there.

Wow. Rogers waived my early upgrade fee before I could even ask them to waive my early upgrade fee. Not too shabby.

I can go and pick up the phone in store today.

Pimpwerx

If this phone is buyable based on its beauty alone why cover it up with a case?

In my case, I'm a clumsy oaf who drops phones all the time, and I don't like paying insurance. My last two phones both have shattered screens, so I definitely need to keep mine in a case. The Bear Motion won't be enough, so I'm waiting to order something sturdier. PEACE.

AlphaSnake

The Galaxy S4 still has that bullshit zoomed in effect? I HATED the way the videos recorded on my GS2. It looks absolutely awful in the video below.

S4 looks the best

Not in the first minute it sure doesn't.

AlphaSnake

The video camera on the Galaxy S4 has a worse framerate, a terrible fishbowl/fish-eye lens effect, distortion of detail during left and right panning, and flatter looking colors.

kaskade

Man, I have a GS3 right now and I'm so tempted to get one of these. No reason I need to upgrade whatsoever either. I'm on T-Mobile so there's no more upgrade pricing so I can get a new one whenever I want. I'm sure I can still get a good price for the GS3. I think I'll wait to make sure CM10.1 starts running smoothly though.

BFIB

Man, I have a GS3 right now and I'm so tempted to get one of these. No reason I need to upgrade whatsoever either. I'm on T-Mobile so there's no more upgrade pricing so I can get a new one whenever I want. I'm sure I can still get a good price for the GS3. I think I'll wait to make sure CM10.1 starts running smoothly though.

I had mine listed on CL for $300. No takers.

The screen and camera would justify for me. Though if I had to make the choice between this and the One, it'd be a tough one.

T-Mobile GS3 going for $300-350 used on ebay

reKon

Banned
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is so sexy and classy.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has a much better screen sporting the new Super AMOLED Technology.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has an 8 core OCTA core CPU which is much faster than the xperia crappy z
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has superior antenna and radios which makes it faster at loading websites&#65279; and social media
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has much better software capabilities making it the best smartphone for social media
FORZA SAMSUNG!

Volotaire

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is so sexy and classy.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has a much better screen sporting the new Super AMOLED Technology.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has an 8 core OCTA core CPU which is much faster than the xperia crappy z
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has superior antenna and radios which makes it faster at loading websites&#65279; and social media
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has much better software capabilities making it the best smartphone for social media
FORZA SAMSUNG!

This made me lol in the youtube comments.

Top Bottom