• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Husker86

Which again is why purchasing an subsidized/unlocked phone doesn't make sense if you're going to use ATT, for example, who can help you bring the cost of phone down. Correct me if I am wrong.

Nvm: good artcle

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech.../2012-07-06/prepaid-wireless-phone/56033654/1

Correct, which is why I use Net10. I get AT&T's network for less than $40 a month (I buy 30 day codes from eBay). 1.5GB data (meh, not many other options besides full price AT&T), roaming is allowed, and unlimited minutes/texts.

I haven't suffered much since switching from Verizon and this is about all I can do to "vote with my wallet".

If T-Mobile ever officially supports Omaha, NE, I will switch to them.

Your link isn't working for me.

Orca

Switching from the iPhone 4S to the HTC One so this thread has been pretty valuable for when I actually get the damn phone. Ordered it at a friend's Telus store here about a month ago now, and I'm still waiting to get it. They said the first one in will be mine, but they haven't gotten anything yet and they've been told it's backordered.

Driving me nuts because I could probably go to Calgary/Edmonton and grab one, but I'd like to support my buddy's shop.

Pimpwerx

Do you guys use Power Saver mode?

How do I best utilize it. I've noticed slight chop when in Chrome with cpu usage checked.

I keep it on all the time. I ran both my Evo and Dinc2 overclocked most of the time, and rarely ever needed the power. So far, I've noticed zero difference. The chips should scale the processor when needed, so I assume there's very little loss. Nothing perceptible, anyway.

I only kept Power Saver mode off for the first two days. I've had it on since then, and see no reason to turn it off. I just want a firmware update to disable the notification icon. What a pain in the ass. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

I popped my phone out of the case for the first time today. First, to take off the stupid IMEI sticker from the back. After I did, I got to once against admire the beauty of the phone. It is a very svelte and slick piece of kit. I want to go caseless (like my last two phones), but I already dropped it on a wood floor Sunday. Luckily, I had my case on. I'm just too clumsy with these things.

On a related note, I thought about cutting the little tab by the volume rocker, on the Bear Motion case. I hardly ever touch the volume control, but I'm curious to see if the case still fits fine with that little strip removed. I'm probably getting the Double Dip case, for better screen protection, so I can afford to damage the Bear Motion. It has such a nice texture, though, that I wish it came with better front protection. PEACE.

EDIT: That was easy. Just took a pair of scissors to clip the strip and then Dremel'd the edges smooth. Looks good, feels good and now no longer blocks the volume rocker. Now I have to worry about putting my phone on vibrate by accident, but at least I can confirm the case keeps its rigidity without that strip. Not sure why it's there in the first place. I'll post pics if anyone wants.

Trouble

Banned
Any way to turn off the social feed in the TV app? I really don't need my TV listings crapped up with NRA videos from an acquaintance.

Pimpwerx

Hey. When did HTC's keyboard get a swype feature? In the settings menu, there's a "trace" option that's swype. It's fast and efficient. I always used the HTC keyboard on my rooted phones, but liked the efficiency of Swype. Now I get them both at the same time. Fucking tits! PEACE.

Hey. When did HTC's keyboard get a swype feature? In the settings menu, there's a "trace" option that's swype. It's fast and efficient. I always used the HTC keyboard on my rooted phones, but liked the efficiency of Swype. Now I get them both at the same time. Fucking tits! PEACE.

Anyone know how it compares to Swype? I'm pretty impressed with the built in one so far. It's been damn accurate.

Pimpwerx

Anyone know how it compares to Swype? I'm pretty impressed with the built in one so far. It's been damn accurate.

I used Swype like 2 years ago, when they were beta testing on Android. It's much faster and accurate than back then. The again, I was using it on a Hero, and it was the beta and early official releases. PEACE.

Volotaire

The Zoe stuff and Blinkfeed really impress me, as I've always liked the idea of Windows 8 live tiles, but will not get a Windows phone due to the size of the app store. Are panoramic view taking options in built with the phone or will it be have to be done by a third party app?

pubba

Anyone have the silver model?

My local HTC store here in China has only received the silver models and say the black ones are on back-order (up to a month wait).

Is there a huge difference? I just prefer black but gnnn the wait is killing me.

Also - the silver one is a limited edition and comes with better earphones, a BT Turbo Remote and a big bag full of stupid shit (T shirt, sports bag, lanyard, decals, stuffed toy, noodles, wall hanging, inflatable HTC One thing)

I dunno.. I've always owned black phones, so not sure what to do. PEAS.

Addnan

Anyone have the silver model?

My local HTC store here in China has only received the silver models and say the black ones are on back-order (up to a month wait).

Is there a huge difference? I just prefer black but gnnn the wait is killing me.

Also - the silver one is a limited edition and comes with better earphones, a BT Turbo Remote and a big bag full of stupid shit (T shirt, sports bag, lanyard, decals, stuffed toy, noodles, wall hanging, inflatable HTC One thing)

I dunno.. I've always owned black phones, so not sure what to do. PEAS.
Most people seem to have the silver, I went for black though. Just was more appealing to me.

Sorry to double post.

I switched to the productivity lockscreen that is supposed to display my emails but it still isn't doing it. My calendar events are being displayed but no emails. Does this work with the gmail app or do I have to use the stock email app?

Sorry to double post.

I switched to the productivity lockscreen that is supposed to display my emails but it still isn't doing it. My calendar events are being displayed but no emails. Does this work with the gmail app or do I have to use the stock email app?

Only works with the stock email app unfortunately

Kozmo

What you call a "swype feature" is now a stock android function. Feel bad for Swype, because there's almost no reason to buy their keyboard anymore.

Orca

Got the phone today and took a pic at the dealership. Wow, it's a huge change from the Iphone 4S. Two pics from the same spot at the same time, focused on the same point of the car:

LXiTZY9.jpg
bUvfVnF.jpg

swiftkey is still better than the default keyboard

also a lot of camera shots look better if you use the auto enhance thing in the edit > effects menu. Still waiting for them to roll out the update that europe I think it was got that basically makes that the default setting.

swiftkey is still better than the default keyboard

also a lot of camera shots look better if you use the auto enhance thing in the edit > effects menu. Still waiting for them to roll out the update that europe I think it was got that basically makes that the default setting.

I keep checking every day and nothing :( I actually want to hold off using the camera until the update is out.

I took some really nice ass shots but I can't really post them up since they include lots of family in it since it was from a picnic.

I keep checking every day and nothing :( I actually want to hold off using the camera until the update is out.
Go outside and try taking a few shots of a single thing under 3 diff settings. One on default. One with contrast +1, sharpness -1, and exposure -1 (only if it's reallllllly bright), then take another on default again but this time use the auto enhance thing.

Post results. ????. Profit. Do it. The update is basically doing those settings for you.

I took some really nice ass shots but I can't really post them up since they include lots of family in it since it was from a picnic.

Go outside and try taking a few shots of a single thing under 3 diff settings. One on default. One with contrast +1, sharpness -1, and exposure -1 (only if it's reallllllly bright), then take another on default again but this time use the auto enhance thing.

Post results. ????. Profit. Do it. The update is basically doing those settings for you.

I think you should post the ass shots lol

I'll try with those settings you gave me and see how it enhances the pic, cheers. Btw Macro mode is insanely good.

Got mine on Monday after dealing with some morons at the att store. Coming from an iPhone 5 and had iPhones since the start. First non ios smartphone. Love it!

Bergsy

Still waiting for mine to turn up, been pushed back to the 9th, I am getting it on a friends discount so I cant really moan, this thread is just about keeping me going!

Husker86

HTC extended the $100 trade-in program. You now have until 5/19 to submit your request.

Considering my old Thunderbolt counts for the $100 I am tempted. However I have a Nexus 4 and will probably wait to see what the next Nexus looks like.

I hope HTC gets some great sales with this phone though!

reKon

Banned
I have a Galaxy Nexus in good condition (barely visible scratches on the screen, small visible marks on the exterior). I'm going to assume that I'd be able to get almost $200 for it still?

HTC extended the $100 trade-in program. You now have until 5/19 to submit your request.

Considering my old Thunderbolt counts for the $100 I am tempted. However I have a Nexus 4 and will probably wait to see what the next Nexus looks like.

They gave my $100 for a shitty Blackberry 8230 Curve. It's not even worth that much nowadays.

D23

how does the $100 trade in program work?

i think im gonna trade my galaxy s

Top Bottom