• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
One thing I didn't understand about Samsung going full plastic on the Galaxy phones was the first Galaxy S for AT&T (the Captivate) had an aluminum battery cover that slid out when removed. It was fantastic and really gave the phone a premium feel.

Why they never brought that for any of the later Galaxy iterations I'll never know. It gave users the best of both worlds: far less plastic + removable battery.

Ty4on

One thing I didn't understand about Samsung going full plastic on the Galaxy phones was the first Galaxy S for AT&T (the Captivate) had an aluminum battery cover that slid out when removed. It was fantastic and really gave the phone a premium feel.

Why they never brought that for any of the later Galaxy iterations I'll never know. It gave users the best of both worlds: far less plastic + removable battery.

Samsung didn't make it plastic for the removable battery, they made it plastic to keep the price down.

JaseMath

Samsung didn't make it plastic for the removable battery, they made it plastic to keep the price down.

In all honesty, the build quality is a huge reason I went with the One over the S4. The Galaxy S series has impressive specs, but they don't at all feel like the premium devices that they are.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Price down for themselves * (ie. larger profit margin on each phone sold)

Because the S4 costs just as much as any high end smartphone out there, whether that's metal, glass or plastic.

D23

guess HTC didnt want me to buy this phone, checked all tmobiles store in washington state and theyre all sold out. wtf??

In all honesty, the build quality is a huge reason I went with the One over the S4. The Galaxy S series has impressive specs, but they don't at all feel like the premium devices that they are.

Well the specs are high....but the One is smoother.

The S4 that I played around with had lag/stutter.....really no excuse for a flagship phone...

Most review also mention this lag..

Sick, you drive a GT-R? Jelly.

Yes sir.

guess HTC didnt want me to buy this phone, checked all tmobiles store in washington state and theyre all sold out. wtf??

well thats a good thing....its popular ..well deserved...

reKon

Banned
The demo unit I played with of the S4 was insanely smooth to me so I dunno. I didn't have all every feature turned on so maybe that made a slight difference.

For the HTC One, the two demo units I played with were insanely fast. I don't know if it's the fact that I'm running a ROM on my GNex, but rotation between portrait and landscape has always been pretty slow for me. On the HTC One, that shit was instant. No lag at all on Sense 5. I'll be needing CM 10.1 to match that running Nova Launcher. Also, I love how gaming test videos on Youtube, people are in mid game and will just press the home button where it instantaneously goes to the home screen and they just load up the next game (on Nexus 4 and the other new devices). That Qualcomm prcoessor + 2 GB of RAM is nothing to play with... damn. Runs laps around me OC'd TI OMAP processor on the GNex.

The demo unit I played with of the S4 was insanely smooth to me so I dunno. I didn't have all every feature turned on so maybe that made a slight difference.

For the HTC One, the two demo units I played with were insanely fast. I don't know if it's the fact that I'm running a ROM on my GNex, but rotation between portrait and landscape has always been pretty slow for me. On the HTC One, that shit was instant. No lag at all on Sense 5. I'll be needing CM 10.1 to match that running Nova Launcher. Also, I love how gaming test videos on Youtube, people are in mid game and will just press the home button where it instantaneously goes to the home screen and they just load up the next game (on Nexus 4 and the other new devices). That Qualcomm prcoessor + 2 GB of RAM is nothing to play with... damn. Runs laps around me OC'd TI OMAP processor on the GNex.

The S4 is smooth, but there are moments that will stutter a bit...no biggie but then this is suppose to be a flagship and has the faster processor available.....even the S3 or Note 2 doesn't lag....

I have no idea what my new phone is cable of. How do I do this shit?

1) Go to Gallery
2) Select My Photos
3) In the upper left, tap the pulldown that says Albums and switch it to Events.
4) Tap on an event
5) The bigger video at the top is your generated highlight, tap on that to play it.
6) You can edit, reshuffle, or retheme the highlight from this view.

The S4 is smooth, but there are moments that will stutter a bit...no biggie but then this is suppose to be a flagship and has the faster processor available.....even the S3 or Note 2 doesn't lag....
By that definition of "smooth", the S3 absolutely does stutter at times. I think its inherent to Samsung's code, and to Android itself. Though the latter is getting better and better at having iPhone-like smoothness.

By that definition of "smooth", the S3 absolutely does stutter at times. I think its inherent to Samsung's code, and to Android itself. Though the latter is getting better and better at having iPhone-like smoothness.

yeah...the One is like butter....so is the Note 2 and the optimus G.

I actually thought the S4 stutter more than the S3 with CM10...

nib95

Banned

I don't why why you keep saying this when it simply is not true. I own or have owned all the phones you mentioned, and many more. ALL phones lag at some point or another, some less than han others, but all lag. Even the iPhone. Depends what you're doing, how much stuff you're running etc.

If the S4 you were playing with was lagging more than most have mentioned, chances are it was running a tonne of stuff or had some options turned on that the other phones might not have had turned on, eg split screen multitasking, or stuff the other phones simply don't have, such as air gestures, the different sensors etc.

I don't why why you keep saying this when it simply is not true. I own or have owned all the phones you mentioned, and many more. ALL phones lag at some point or another, some less than others, but all lag. Even the iPhone. Depends what you're doing, how much stuff you're running etc.

If the S4 you were playing with was lagging more than most have mentioned, chances are it was running a tonne of stuff or had some options turned on that the other phones might not have had turned on, eg split screen multitasking, the different sensors etc.

I turned everything off...and I wasn't doing anything task heavy either, all I was doing was opening apps and in/out the app drawers. It's not like I'm the only one that experienced this....most reviews pointed it out.

reKon

Banned
I skimmed droid life's review to find that there's no wireless charging and there's shitty NFC with the One? Why HTC?

Do you guys use Power Saver mode?

How do I best utilize it. I've noticed slight chop when in Chrome with cpu usage checked.

I don't why why you keep saying this when it simply is not true. I own or have owned all the phones you mentioned, and many more. ALL phones lag at some point or another, some less than han others, but all lag. Even the iPhone. Depends what you're doing, how much stuff you're running etc.

If the S4 you were playing with was lagging more than most have mentioned, chances are it was running a tonne of stuff or had some options turned on that the other phones might not have had turned on, eg split screen multitasking, or stuff the other phones simply don't have, such as air gestures, the different sensors etc.
Yes obviously phones don't have infinite power and will crawl to a stop when you run too many things at once. You can argue all you want, but with all else being equal smoothness out of the box will be determined by efficient software and optimizations. See iPhone vs. every other Android powerhouse. Saying "the S4 might have lagged because the default advertised features were turned on....by default" is pretty moot.

Ho do I calibrate the touch screen? The back button seems rather lacklusture in its finickyness.

do you have a screen protector?

HTC actually made the capacitive button not as sensitive.

There was a firmware update for the international version that solved that issue.

so its a firmware thing.

VoxPop

So the unlocked phone is compatible with gsm and wcdma signals. I just want to clarify, can i use the nlocked ver of this phone with any carrier or not?

Should work on most of the major post/prepaid carriers. I'm pretty sure you can't get LTE on T-Mobile but its available on AT&T which was a surprise in itself. Does not work on Sprint or Verizon.

sfedai0

Banned
Should work on most of the major post/prepaid carriers. I'm pretty sure you can't get LTE on T-Mobile but its available on AT&T which was a surprise in itself. Does not work on Sprint or Verizon.

Um I thought it had the radio for Tmobile's LTE frequencies??

Power saver makes a pretty noticable difference, and most people probably wouldn't even notice the fact that it limits the power of the phone. Performance seems the same.

The problem with the bear motion case is that it's difficult to press the volume key easily. Nillikin is still the best case

Thanks for sharing, just ordered the Nillikin case on ebay (Amazon Canada didn't seem to have it). 7 bucks isn't bad, but I won't get it for 3 weeks.

Husker86

Im so ignorant. You say most carriers but i only know of the four you mention in which half of them you say aren't compatible :(

Any phone that you don't buy from Verizon or Sprint will not work on Verizon or Sprint (obviously if it's a Verizon/Sprint phone that you buy off eBay, etc. it will work). That's the huge limitation of CDMA carriers.

Most prepaid carriers offer SIM cards that will run off of either AT&T or T-Mobile's network. Basically, if you want an unlocked phone, you will be running off of AT&T or T-Mobile's network since they are the only GSM carriers in the US.

JaseMath

Guys, how do I change the SMS tone? No matter how I do it - either through Settings>Personalize or Settings>Sound, it's always set to "Lime".

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Top Bottom