• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

D23

Sign up online, give them your info. Put in what phone you want to trade and they'll give you a trade-in price. They give you a shipping label and you send it off.

a measly $35 for my galaxy s1, i might just keep it for a backup phone

thanks for hte info

Got the media link yesterday, works very seamlessly with this phone. I don't have much use for it but I'm sure it'll come in handy on some occasions.

I got my black HTC One today. I'm loving it so far. Nice upgrade from my old Evo 4G. The only thing I'm worried about is the aluminum body seems like it will get scratched pretty easily. Fortunately the case that I ordered will be here tomorrow, but until then I'm being extra cautious with the phone.

Ty4on

In all honesty, the build quality is a huge reason I went with the One over the S4. The Galaxy S series has impressive specs, but they don't at all feel like the premium devices that they are.

Price down for themselves * (ie. larger profit margin on each phone sold)

Because the S4 costs just as much as any high end smartphone out there, whether that's metal, glass or plastic.

Sorry for the late reply, but I thoroughly agree with you. Listened to the Anandtech podcast 19 and agreed so much when they said the HTC One was a beautiful phone that was also really good. They loved the HTC One so much they talked a lot about how crappy SD cards were when it came to reliability :p

Sorry for the late reply, but I thoroughly agree with you. Listened to the Anandtech podcast 19 and agreed so much when they said the HTC One was a beautiful phone that was also really good. They loved the HTC One so much they talked a lot about how crappy SD cards were when it came to reliability :p

Yeah ..brian klug really crapped on SD card. You should listen to podcast 20 were they talked about the S4...
Like most tech site...they suppose to be talking about the S4 then they get side tracked and start talking how beautiful the One is...lol

KingRAW

Neo Member
How is the 4GLTE on this phone? I've had mine since the 19th of last month and Sprints crap network in Denver has never got me past 3G coverage.

This phone is a beast but, I'm not able to exploit it's strength with my carrier coverage. What kind of network performance are the rest of you getting?

Gannd

Banned
I made another ZOE of my daughter, my wife, and I out for a walk. She's one week old. I have made so many of these things and I'm storing them. It's so easy to capture special moments and have them look special when I have no training in photography or videography. I love this phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdHgZXcJcwY

I've seen the pop up a few times and always just selected one time but I want to permanently change the default browser to chrome. How do I do this?

Husker86

I've seen the pop up a few times and always just selected one time but I want to permanently change the default browser to chrome. How do I do this?

Go to Settings-Applications and find the default Browser (pretty sure it's just called Browser). Click and and push "Clear Defaults" button. Now, the next time you open something to trigger the browser, the selection menu will show up again.

Select "Always Use" and then Chrome when the menu pops up and it will make Chrome the default.

You might see the menu more though, for example, if you open a link from Gmail and set Chrome to "Always Use" that will not change the default for when you open a link from the Messaging app. Basically you'll have to select Chrome for "Always use" in each app that triggers a browser open. Eventually you will be fully set and not see the menu anymore.

Tekniqs

just bought the phone.

ahhhh back to good 'ole Android...unlocked bootloader, rooted, installing custom ROM before I even use it lol

Tekniqs

first you need to unlock your bootloader

so go to htcdev.com and follow those instructions, it's pretty easy..once you're done with that, the bootloader will be unlocked.

I downloaded the TWRP recovery img http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7

and used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2242635 to flash it. (flash recovery, your own recovery), cmd prompt will pop up, simply "x" that out, another window should pop up and navigate to where you saved the recovery img, and open it...it'll flash the recovery.

After that, boot your phone into recovery, wipe davlik cache/cache/data and then install the custom ROM of your choice.

first you need to unlock your bootloader

so go to htcdev.com and follow those instructions, it's pretty easy..once you're done with that, the bootloader will be unlocked.

I downloaded the TWRP recovery img http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7

and used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2242635 to flash it. (flash recovery, your own recovery), cmd prompt will pop up, simply "x" that out, another window should pop up and navigate to where you saved the recovery img, and open it...it'll flash the recovery.

After that, boot your phone into recovery, wipe davlik cache/cache/data and then install the custom ROM of your choice.

There's a simple, all-in-one root kit. I used One_M7_All-In-One_Kit. All the instructions were in there and I got root quickly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183942

PEACE.

Here's a video tutorial to unlock bootloader thru HTC dev

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245789

What's the easiest way to do a simple backup of everything, like creating an image of my current state, and then have the ability to restore it?

I simply want to backup what I have now, wipe it, and then let my wife play with the phone in her own setup for a couple days and then restore my phone so it's exactly like it was before I gave it to her. I hear Titanium Backup is a bit overkill for that. I've got the Developer Edition if it makes a difference.

I love the speakers on the phone. such a big step up compared to the N4 and S3 I had. Big help as I take a lot of status calls from home for work and I no longer have to worry about not being able to hear properly.

What's the easiest way to do a simple backup of everything, like creating an image of my current state, and then have the ability to restore it?

I simply want to backup what I have now, wipe it, and then let my wife play with the phone in her own setup for a couple days and then restore my phone so it's exactly like it was before I gave it to her. I hear Titanium Backup is a bit overkill for that. I've got the Developer Edition if it makes a difference.

nandroid back up is exactly what you want to do.

unlock the bootloader and flash a recovery(CWM or TWRP)

once you have a recovery there is an option to backup/restore....you can just make a complete image back up and restore when ever you need.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Battery is at 31%...18 hours later.

200 emails
Calculator use
2 hours of calls
Sportcaster live updates
Browser use
Facebook use

nandroid back up is exactly what you want to do.

unlock the bootloader and flash a recovery(CWM or TWRP)

once you have a recovery there is an option to backup/restore....you can just make a complete image back up and restore when ever you need.

Thanks! Sounds perfect. Just waiting for my battery to charge before I try it out =)

EulaCapra

Speaking of battery stats.... my phone says Google Maps is taking like 60% of the current battery charge followed by System UI with 24% and then Youtube. Er... is that natural for Maps to be a constant whore even when I haven't launched it?

markot

Banned
Speaking of battery stats.... my phone says Google Maps is taking like 60% of the current battery charge followed by System UI with 24% and then Youtube. Er... is that natural for Maps to be a constant whore even when I haven't launched it?

Check location settings in maps, some of the stuff there can eat battery when the map is off.

Trouble

Banned
There's a simple, all-in-one root kit. I used One_M7_All-In-One_Kit. All the instructions were in there and I got root quickly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183942

PEACE.

Here's a video tutorial to unlock bootloader thru HTC dev

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245789

Excuse the noob question, but what benefit do I get from doing this? My last phone (and first Android) was an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I never strayed from stock Android, since it got quick updates to new versions and I could tether without mucking with it.

markot

Banned
Some apps can do more with 'root' access, and you can also obviously install custom roms if you feel like it. You can delete pre installed apps too if they tick you off... etc...

Excuse the noob question, but what benefit do I get from doing this? My last phone (and first Android) was an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I never strayed from stock Android, since it got quick updates to new versions and I could tether without mucking with it.

I had a unlocked galaxy nexus too and it sucked without the help of custom roms.

Stock android is very vanilla that needs a lil bit of tweaking to make it better.

for example, no percentage indicator on the battery, no notification toggles, no power options, etc..custom roms adds those functionality integrating them, so you don't need an app.

Some roms can also improve the performance and battery life drastically.

and there are time that a firmware will leak and the developers can use that as a base...so you're getting the latest and greatest firmware even months before its official release.

Top Bottom