• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Peterthumpa

Some questions:

What's the best case for the HTC One right now? At Amazon people seem to be disappointed with the official cases from HTC.

Also, to apply the mod to remove the 3 dots button from some apps, do I need to have a custom rom?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Some questions:

What's the best case for the HTC One right now? At Amazon people seem to be disappointed with the official cases from HTC.

Also, to apply the mod to remove the 3 dots button from some apps, do I need to have a custom rom?

That's a hard question to answer, actually. Depends on what you'd prefer in a case. A thin one? A thick one? What color? I like the Nillikin case personally: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXIMJ6Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

innuendo implied

The free media media link hd from Att came a few days ago.....but it did not work! It keep wanting you to buy a tether plan....big fail to Att!!!

Good thing the media link worked when I flashed cleanRom 1.6....att bloatware prevent it from working normally.

There's an issue with this causes by some of the bloat att installed on your device. If you have a Rom and remove the bloat it works

Cipherr

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/htc-one-dont-drop-100000508.html

HTC-Gaf is going to have a field day with this one.

Absolutely outrageous. So aluminum is a no go now because its "to slippery" and "feels terrible in the hand"?

Man oh man, some people seem incredible chaffed by the fact that HTC made a fantastic phone. I was never their biggest fan, but I give credit where its due, some of these ridiculous articles and reviews though... it seems clear that they went in expecting the phone to suck and refused to change their opinion of it.

I thought the Gmail not pushing to stock mail app on HTC was just a silly android issue but apparently iPhone 5 doesn't have gmail push on the stock mail app either. Annoying as hell. I actually prefer the stock mail app to gmail on the HTC one.
Really? The stock app? How do you deal with emails not fitting full screen? That alone made the stock app unusable for me.

VoxPop

Hilarious.

Lost all credibility after

Moron said:
Which version of Android does it run? It is based on Android 4.1.2, which was current as of October 2012. The current version of Android is 4.2.2, and you have had it for a while already if you have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which was introduced in October 2011.

-_-

Moron said:
Again, I had to go to the Sprint store and ask how to increase the number of pages from two. Turns out, you can increase it to four. Again, difficult to figure out.

LOL

Moron said:
So, on the HTC One, where is the button to take a picture? I have absolutely no idea. I finally figured it out, using an exhaustive process of elimination. I basically pressed every icon (and non-icon) on the screen, and finally was able to discover what took a picture. Then, of course, I forgot it the next time I wanted to take a picture.

Yea, tapping the button that has a picture of a camera on it is terrifyingly hard to find LOL

Really? The stock app? How do you deal with emails not fitting full screen? That alone made the stock app unusable for me.

Yeah I ended up switching back to Gmail. The stock app is a lot better looking but that weird sizing and no Push were dealbreakers. I'm hoping Google ports over their iOS version of Gmail as it looks a lot better than its Android counterpart which makes absolutely no sense.

It's more that I want an app that will utilize the lock screen notifications offered by HTC Sense. Gmail alerts won't show up on the lockscreen with the Gmail app.

I've tried a few third party lockscreen notification solutions and none of them have worked well so far.

Honestly, both email apps are not that great.

ravien56

Hey guys. Just got a one, recently had a note 2. I was wondering if there was a way to change the dock icons to what I want?

Hey guys. Just got a one, recently had a note 2. I was wondering if there was a way to change the dock icons to what I want?

Go to the app drawer, and drag off the icon from the dock that you don't want into the app drawer and then drag the app you do want on to the dock.

btrboyev

Hilarious.

Lost all credibility after

-_-

LOL

Yea, tapping the button that has a picture of a camera on it is terrifyingly hard to find LOL

Yeah I ended up switching back to Gmail. The stock app is a lot better looking but that weird sizing and no Push were dealbreakers. I'm hoping Google ports over their iOS version of Gmail as it looks a lot better than its Android counterpart which makes absolutely no sense.

IOS gmail may look better, but it performs a whole lot worse.

Can someone with AT&T and visual voicemail setup look at their battery stats and tell me what percentage "Voice Calls" is taking up?

Mine is high and I think its because of voicemail I was running through Google Voice.

Can someone with AT&T and visual voicemail setup look at their battery stats and tell me what percentage "Voice Calls" is taking up?

Mine is high and I think its because of voicemail I was running through Google Voice.

I have Phone Idle taking up 27% right now. Nothing about Voice Calls.

Thats a lot.

I have an S4 and Device Idle is taking up 13% and Voice calls is taking up 12%

I think idle is Google Now. Voice calls says "Call Forwarding" is doing damage. I think its my voicemail.

My girlfriend's S4 idle is at less than 5%

Thats a lot.

I have an S4 and Device Idle is taking up 13% and Voice calls is taking up 12%

I think idle is Google Now. Voice calls says "Call Forwarding" is doing damage. I think its my voicemail.

My girlfriend's S4 idle is at less than 5%

Isn't it kinda relative though? If I had nothing else running, my Voice Idle could be 100%.

That's exactly what I have. The number seems so high.

Edit: 20% now. HTC Sense is 29%

Yeah, I guess you're right. It really is all relative. lol

I still need to do a battery reset. The phone isn't lasting me more than 24 hours right now.

Husker86

Gmail was updated a while ago to allow full view with pinch to zoom. You have to go into the settings and check an option; I forget exactly what it is called.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hey guys, I haven't had a smartphone so far (have lived with an iPod Touch 5g + prepaid phone combo) but this phone looks very appealing to me.

Right now I'm seeing that it costs $99 if you buy it online (Sprint) and they have a plan that's $79 a month for 2 years called Everything Data 450.

I'm not sure how browsing and data work, so, with this plan, can I get to the Internet anywhere, anytime I want?

Does anyone else have this plan and can comment on it?

That's exactly what I have. The number seems so high.

Edit: 20% now. HTC Sense is 29%

Yeah, I guess you're right. It really is all relative. lol

I still need to do a battery reset. The phone isn't lasting me more than 24 hours right now.

This is my S4 and I'm getting less than ideal battery life. I downloaded some diagnostics apps and my google maps is checking stuff mad times and my "Call Forwarding" was eating up a chunk also.

For comparison, my girlfriend's idle is less than 5% and she doesn't have voicemail setup yet and she's getting crazy good battery.

icpHJOJ.png

ravien56

Anybody else have a problem with Blinkfeed and Facebook? It reads the feed, but have trouble loading a lot of the posts.

I'm having issues with facebook chat notifications. if anyone messages me, nothing pops up. blinkfeed for facebook seems to be selective with what it chooses.

This is my S4 and I'm getting less than ideal battery life. I downloaded some diagnostics apps and my google maps is checking stuff mad times and my "Call Forwarding" was eating up a chunk also.

For comparison, my girlfriend's idle is less than 5% and she doesn't have voicemail setup yet and she's getting crazy good battery.

I didn't setup Visual Voicemail n my HTC One and my battery has not been that great. I'll need to download some diagnostic tools to see what is up. Also, I'm going to try and drain the battery completely tonight and charge to full to see if that makes a difference.

Gmail was updated a while ago to allow full view with pinch to zoom. You have to go into the settings and check an option; I forget exactly what it is called.

Ya, I have that checked off on the Gmail app. It's currently why I'm using it as my main app and couldn't deal with the stock one. I'm surprised that feature was only added recently and that it's not standard in an email app. It's so annoying to have it not fit.

Anybody else have a problem with Blinkfeed and Facebook? It reads the feed, but have trouble loading a lot of the posts.

No problem here.

I think Voice Calls and Voice Idle is different though. I'm fairly sure I'll see Voice Calls if I actually make a phone call. But again, it's relative so you can't go strictly on percentage. You probably should find something that tells you the duration and further stats. Percentage is so misleading.

Husker86

Ya, I have that checked off on the Gmail app. It's currently why I'm using it as my main app and couldn't deal with the stock one. I'm surprised that feature was only added recently and that it's not standard in an email app. It's so annoying to have it not fit.

Ohhh, I read your post backwards (thought you had a problem with Gmail not doing it).

HTC's stock mail app doesn't do it? It did way back when I had an EVO...I wonder what/why they changed.

Pimpwerx

WTF kinds of review is that? How can someone so stupid manage to type up that many words?

Camera button? You mean the icon with a camera on it? There are like 4 buttons that you could press, unless you're dumb enough to think the flash icon is gonna take the picture. I had no idea anyone could struggle to figure out such a minimalist interface, but whatever.

The case feeling slippery is no different from the early iPhones. My 3G was very slipper to the touch, at first, but my hands got used to the feel of the chassis. Regardless, the phone feels perfectly fine in the hands. Slippery or not, the contours of the phone are very pleasant to hold.

The teardown score means nothing. This phone isn't designed to be taken apart in any capacity. How is that a negative against it? I suppose every iPhone is a piece of shit according to this guy then.

I want to go on, but I think all owners of this phone know this guy is full of it. I don't know how you can write for Yahoo and be as big a dope as this author. I'd expect that kind of article on a small, upstart site trying to get traffic. PEACE.

I doubt it had anything to do with voice mail.

On the s4 thread I saw that you are using dolphine browser ...to uninstall that and use stock instead.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
WTF kinds of review is that? How can someone so stupid manage to type up that many words?

I want to go on, but I think all owners of this phone know this guy is full of it. I don't know how you can write for Yahoo and be as big a dope as this author. I'd expect that kind of article on a small, upstart site trying to get traffic. PEACE.

Answered your own question, sort of.

Goldrush

Holy shit. Just used the navigation in front of the windshield. Man. This thing gets HOT. Did the little juggle dance because there was no way I'm going to let this thing hit the ground.

ravien56

Is the phone heating up a issue among many users? I did a transfer from my old phone and it got hot really fast. I did look online and looks like for the HTC One X, this was also a problem and when heated up, the battery drained faster. Is there a fix coming?

Problem isn't the phone heating up too much, its the aluminum transferring the heat away from the phone and onto the body. It's actually better for the phone that the heat is dispersing away, but you'll feel it.

Deitus

Hey guys, I haven't had a smartphone so far (have lived with an iPod Touch 5g + prepaid phone combo) but this phone looks very appealing to me.

Right now I'm seeing that it costs $99 if you buy it online (Sprint) and they have a plan that's $79 a month for 2 years called Everything Data 450.

I'm not sure how browsing and data work, so, with this plan, can I get to the Internet anywhere, anytime I want?

Does anyone else have this plan and can comment on it?

I've had a similar Everything Data plan with sprint for a few years now with my HTC Evo. To answer your question, that plan has unlimited internet access from anywhere you get 3g/4g coverage.

Now if you get good 3g/4g coverage in your area is a different story. Sprint has coverage maps on their website that should give you a pretty good idea. Remember that you are looking for 4g LTE coverage; 4g WiMAX is a completely separate thing and doesn't apply to this phone. It might help to check online reviews in your area for Sprints coverage as well. Definitely look into this before signing a 2 year contract.

My phone rarely gets hot enough to notice most of the time but it's typical of android that there are occasionally totally random things that can happen that can all of a sudden put your processor into overdrive until you figure out wtf is doing it and close it.

nib95

Banned

I don't know what the M.O. is on this type of opinion, but I really do feel that money may have been exchanged for some of the reviews or written pieces regarding these different handsets. Maybe Samsung wrote Yahoo a cheque here, just like it's quite possible one of the competition drew one out for The Verge for the S4 review. Either that or people really do have awful opinions and/or absurdly sensationalist and inept writing/research capability.

reKon

Banned
I don't know what the M.O. is on this type of opinion, but I really do feel that money may have been exchanged for some of the reviews or written pieces regarding these different handsets. Maybe Samsung wrote Yahoo a cheque here, just like it's quite possible one of the competition drew one out for The Verge for the S4 review. Either that or people really do have awful opinions and/or absurdly sensationalist and inept writing/research capability.

oh boy... look at the comments hahaha. This one is my favorite:

Dear Author , How you can even compare the US PENTAGON chosen Samsung Galalxy with this 3rd rated flimsy Chinese made copycat phone maker HTC? Are you out of mind? Even US Pentagone has CHOSEN Samsung Galaxy OVER iPhone5!! yesterday because Galaxy Smartphones are the most powerful ,superior and the most sturdier than any other phones out here! Not to mention GS4 are twice faster than iPhone5, Galaxy literally KILLED the flimsy iPhone in every TORTURE TESTS!! this 3rd rated copycat HTC is not even in the same league as powerful strong Samsung's Galaxyline. this deceptive Chinese knockoff maker HTC is trying to ride the coattails of the popular Samsung Galaxy Smartphones but won't be work out.

EDIT:

The initial comments I saw when the article was new like the one below are now all getting down voted:

"seriously you shouldn't find the phone because it's slippery? yeah right the HTC One looks and feels awesome in the hand."

Deitus

I don't know why, but I feel like I need this phone. I'm not really the type to crave the latest devices, and a lot of the selling points of this phone don't even apply to me. I don't take may pictures or videos, so the amazing camera probably won't benefit me much. And I'll probably have this in a case 99% of the time, so the slick design and aluminum frame won't even be seen much.

But my current phone is starting to age, and I'm well overdue for an upgrade. When I looked into what new phones are out I just sort of fell in love with the "One"
(hurr hurr)
for no real reason I can put my finger on (though it doesn't hurt that it's getting glowing reviews). I guess I'm a bit irrational about it.

To those that have the phone already, do you think the lack of removable battery and microSD will be a problem for a phone you plan on keeping for probably 2 years? For someone who doesn't give a shit about twitter or facebook, is there any benefit to the new Blinkfeed thing?

Does this occur on other Android phones? Is it just because the screen resolution is 1080p, and most apps are configured for 720p displays?
you'll see it on any android phone. It has not to do with resolution but to do with the menu button on phones and some having them and some not having them. It's all silly stuff. Twitter had them until just yesterday or so until they fixed it and it looks nice now. Don't count on FB doing it any time soon :p

Is there any way to get this without installing a different rom? The 3 dot menu that is.

have you rooted and installed a recovery?

here's the mod

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2251788

Also...

cleanROM DE is in development.., basically its a ROM that tries to get rid of Sense and make it as close to AOSP(stock android) as possible.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2262234

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2262234

Dear Author , How you can even compare the US PENTAGON chosen Samsung Galalxy with this 3rd rated flimsy Chinese made copycat phone maker HTC? Are you out of mind? Even US Pentagone has CHOSEN Samsung Galaxy OVER iPhone5!! yesterday because Galaxy Smartphones are the most powerful ,superior and the most sturdier than any other phones out here! Not to mention GS4 are twice faster than iPhone5, Galaxy literally KILLED the flimsy iPhone in every TORTURE TESTS!! this 3rd rated copycat HTC is not even in the same league as powerful strong Samsung's Galaxyline. this deceptive Chinese knockoff maker HTC is trying to ride the coattails of the popular Samsung Galaxy Smartphones but won't be work out.

EDIT:

The initial comments I saw when the article was new like the one below are now all getting down voted:

"seriously you shouldn't find the phone because it's slippery? yeah right the HTC One looks and feels awesome in the hand."

unknown faceless soldier masters been busy..

Edit: nevermind, that comment is just a paragraph, not and essay/thesis of samsung dominance and the history of asian economics...so it can't unknown soldier...

Talon

EDIT:

You'd think Samsung could hire somebody that can write something coherent.

Top Bottom