• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Blackhead

Redarse
Excuse the noob question, but what benefit do I get from doing this? My last phone (and first Android) was an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I never strayed from stock Android, since it got quick updates to new versions and I could tether without mucking with it.

There's lots of useful reasons for rooting, even for a stock android device. Unlocking the bootloader and installing a rom is a whole other story though.

I had a unlocked galaxy nexus too and it sucked without the help of custom roms.

Stock android is very vanilla that needs a lil bit of tweaking to make it better.

for example, no percentage indicator on the battery, no notification toggles, no power options, etc..custom roms adds those functionality integrating them, so you don't need an app.

Some roms can also improve the performance and battery life drastically.

and there are time that a firmware will leak and the developers can use that as a base...so you're getting the latest and greatest firmware even months before its official release.

And apps provide that functionality so you don't need a rom.

Most roms also reduce the performance and battery life drastically while breaking stock features.

And that's before rom developers start messing with the leaked firmwares so you can get the latest and greatest betas before it's ready for mainstream use

There's lots of useful reasons for rooting, even for a stock android device. Unlocking the bootloader and installing a rom is a whole other story though.

And apps provide that functionality so you don't need a rom.

Most roms also reduce the performance and battery life drastically while breaking stock features.

And that's before rom developers start messing with the leaked firmwares so you can get the latest and greatest betas before it's ready for mainstream use

Well he was asking what's the benefits....and there are plenty!....it actually made the crappy hardware of gnex tolerable...

Addnan

What's with the flashing green light in my too speaker?

Also, why the line of Google play bags at top of my screen?

(You see guys, these questions are what you get for me being an apple fan all these years)

green light means you have a notification. The bags are just something from the store that has downloaded/updated. Just pull down the notification bar and swipe it away.

What's with the flashing green light in my too speaker?

Also, why the line of Google play bags at top of my screen?

(You see guys, these questions are what you get for me being an apple fan all these years)

I believe the green light means you received a notification (might be specific to text/email/phone call).

I have no idea why you have google play bags across your screen.

Tekniqs

That's why you research the ROMs first before flashing your phone. I've never flashed a ROM on one of my phones that made performance worse

Bah, got my phone yesterday and already noticed I have a stuck pixel. Tried running a program to fix it, but to no avail. It's not super noticeable, but considering I paid $200 for a brand new phone, I'm gonna try and get it replaced.

Hate to ask such a simple question, but I guess my Googling skills aren't what they used to be.

Is US Cellular carrying this? I've got a nonfunctional Galaxy S2, and I'm ready for a new phone.

FinKL

Bah, got my phone yesterday and already noticed I have a stuck pixel. Tried running a program to fix it, but to no avail. It's not super noticeable, but considering I paid $200 for a brand new phone, I'm gonna try and get it replaced.

Had same problem on T-mobile. Although when I was running the dead pixel fixer, I noticed in broad daylight I could see the "dead pixel" on the black screen. So I'm assuming a piece of dust got underneath it. You should be able to exchange it if you're within 2 weeks, they charged the deductible until they receive the defective product.

Just got my phone and it's as amazing as the reviews all say. Couple of questions though...

1) If I'm using something like Apex Launcher, is it possible to still get the clock widgets from HTC Sense? Can't seem to find them anymore. If not, how do I switch the option for the default launcher?

2) Does Android have an equivalent of Apple's Do Not Disturb function?

Just got my phone and it's as amazing as the reviews all say. Couple of questions though...

1) If I'm using something like Apex Launcher, is it possible to still get the clock widgets from HTC Sense? Can't seem to find them anymore. If not, how do I switch the option for the default launcher?

1. There is a sense 5 clock widget you can download through the Play Store, its powered by that UCCW, so you'll need that too. It's not exactly the same though sadly. Other than that, there isn't a way

2. Not that i'm aware of, but there may be an app for that. Maybe Tasker would do it?

VoxPop

Get HD Widgets or Zooper. They have a wide assortment of Toggle/Clock/Weather widgets you can change around to your liking. Should be able to easily mimic the Sense 5 clock.

reKon

Banned
wow estimated delivery for was 5/6, but UPS is showing tomorrow. In the next two days I may have my phone, my new sofa, and bar stools for my kitchen all at once.

Holy crap, I turned off background location reporting in maps, and my battery life is through the roof. Maps was causing about 10 mins of wake locks per hour just for location collection and history. Google Now works fine with it off from what I can tell.

JaseMath

I want a slim case either clear or black, preferably bought from Amazon.

Considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW18HPW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd think twice about a clear clase - they tend to yellow over time.

Personally, I went with the Case-Mate Barely There (black). Once more third party cases become available I'll probably upgrade it, but for now, the Case-Mate just looks good on-product and has a nice soft touch grip. I just wish it had a lip all the way around the edge...worried dat polished aluminum.

I'd think twice about a clear clase - they tend to yellow over time.

Personally, I'm going with the Case-Mate Barely There (Black). Once the Poetic Atmosphere case gets fixed, I might rethink it, but the Case-Mate just looks good on-product. I just wish it had a lip all the way around the edge...worried dat polished aluminum.

The one I used on my iPhone 4 didn't yellow after two years of usage.

I never liked clear cases because dust and specks always seem to get in between the back of the phone and the inside of the case, and it shows.

One more question... is there any way to jump to the top of the screen (like when you tap the status bar in iOS)? Really missing that feature... especially in long threads lol

CleanRom 1.6 has the international camera update!

also it go the mod the removes 3-dot menu in apps.

to access menu is to hold the back button.

yay no bloatware!!

Ah cool. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to swap roms yet. Is there an easy way to just get the three dot mod, battery percentage and camera update?

There's a 3 dot mode available.

I think it will be more difficult for the camera update cause it's a system frame work thing or something

EvetS

One more question... is there any way to jump to the top of the screen (like when you tap the status bar in iOS)? Really missing that feature... especially in long threads lol

If you download quick ICS browser from play, there's option to customize the side pie controls for quickly jump to top or bottom. I guess that's the best option.

The free media media link hd from Att came a few days ago.....but it did not work! It keep wanting you to buy a tether plan....big fail to Att!!!

Good thing the media link worked when I flashed cleanRom 1.6....att bloatware prevent it from working normally.

I thought the Gmail not pushing to stock mail app on HTC was just a silly android issue but apparently iPhone 5 doesn't have gmail push on the stock mail app either. Annoying as hell. I actually prefer the stock mail app to gmail on the HTC one.

can't swap batteries so swap phones instead.

I thought the Gmail not pushing to stock mail app on HTC was just a silly android issue but apparently iPhone 5 doesn't have gmail push on the stock mail app either. Annoying as hell. I actually prefer the stock mail app to gmail on the HTC one.

isn't that because Google doesn't let accounts enable Exchange since the deadline? pretty sure the HTC email app supports Exchange.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just to confirm, lte isnt worth the $60 difference is it? :)

LTE is worth it if you have a big enough bandwidth cap, but HSPA+ on this phone is really fast so maybe not :p

isn't that because Google doesn't let accounts enable Exchange since the deadline? pretty sure the HTC email app supports Exchange.

That has to be reason, because I was able to get Gmail pushed on the stock mail app through exchange on my Evo 3D back in 2011.

Top Bottom