• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Talon

Someone who can write coherently wouldn't be "believable" and would be a lot more expensive. If they could write, you'd think that someone paid them to do it.
Maybe this is a new form of performance art. Writing so incoherently in order to pantomime the death of the english language.

Which begs the questions, are people fucking up other languages as well?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/htc-one-dont-drop-100000508.html

HTC-Gaf is going to have a field day with this one.

well, he's right about not dropping it. that's about where the soap comparison starts and ends. slippery? naaaaah... but yeah, about build quality. i keep pointing out 'build quality' vs 'build materials' and some people find shoddy quality to be excusable because of 'premium' materials. their loss.

in other news, the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note (yes the first one) got 4.1.2 today. The International versions (which used a different chipset) had it for a while. *looks @ 18 month old HTC handsets*

Talon

well, he's right about not dropping it. that's about where the soap comparison starts and ends. slippery? naaaaah... but yeah, about build quality. i keep pointing out 'build quality' vs 'build materials' and some people find shoddy quality to be excusable because of 'premium' materials. their loss.

in other news, the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note (yes the first one) got 4.1.2 today. The International versions (which used a different chipset) had it for a while. *looks @ 18 month old HTC handsets*
[Insert Touchwiz joke here]

-> [Insert Sense joke here]

--> [Insert Cheap Plastic joke here]

---> [Insert Unrepairable Phone joke here]

----> [Insert Sony Xperia Viewing Angles joke here]

-----> [Insert...]

I don't know why, but I feel like I need this phone. I'm not really the type to crave the latest devices, and a lot of the selling points of this phone don't even apply to me. I don't take may pictures or videos, so the amazing camera probably won't benefit me much. And I'll probably have this in a case 99% of the time, so the slick design and aluminum frame won't even be seen much.

But my current phone is starting to age, and I'm well overdue for an upgrade. When I looked into what new phones are out I just sort of fell in love with the "One"
(hurr hurr)
for no real reason I can put my finger on (though it doesn't hurt that it's getting glowing reviews). I guess I'm a bit irrational about it.

To those that have the phone already, do you think the lack of removable battery and microSD will be a problem for a phone you plan on keeping for probably 2 years? For someone who doesn't give a shit about twitter or facebook, is there any benefit to the new Blinkfeed thing?

Go for it

Hey guys, I haven't had a smartphone so far (have lived with an iPod Touch 5g + prepaid phone combo) but this phone looks very appealing to me.

Right now I'm seeing that it costs $99 if you buy it online (Sprint) and they have a plan that's $79 a month for 2 years called Everything Data 450.

I'm not sure how browsing and data work, so, with this plan, can I get to the Internet anywhere, anytime I want?

Does anyone else have this plan and can comment on it?

you get Unlimited Data, Unlimited Text and 450 'Anytime' Minutes.
Also, you get free nights (7pm-7am) and unlimited mobile-to-mobile (any Network) so the 450 minutes would only be counted when calling landlines 7AM-7PM on weekdays.

Husker86

Does this occur on other Android phones? Is it just because the screen resolution is 1080p, and most apps are configured for 720p displays?

Only HTC phones have that bar with the 3 dots on legacy apps.

you'll see it on any android phone. It has not to do with resolution but to do with the menu button on phones and some having them and some not having them. It's all silly stuff. Twitter had them until just yesterday or so until they fixed it and it looks nice now. Don't count on FB doing it any time soon :p

You won't see it on any other phones besides HTC's. Samsung doesn't have the on-screen nav bar like the Nexus line has, yet it still doesn't pop one of its own in with just the menu button since it has a dedicated button for that.

You see it on the Nexus phones, but the 3 dots are added to a nav bar that is already there so there isn't much inconsistency.

HTC solved this with the One X by allowing you to map the menu to a different button, I am pretty disappointed they didn't do the same with the One.

In the end, yes, it is the developer's fault for not updating their app; however that doesn't make HTC's implementation (that they previously fixed on another phone!) any more forgivable.

The One is still the top Android phone out right now though.

Anyone know of the software number that HTC is releasing to make the camera better? I keep seeing 1.29.400 or something, but i'm already running 1.29.666. What's everyone elses say?

Anyone know of the software number that HTC is releasing to make the camera better? I keep seeing 1.29.400 or something, but i'm already running 1.29.666. What's everyone elses say?

You're looking for the last two numbers. 1.29 is the major version, the 666 is the territory, and then the number after it is the minor version.

the firmware 1.29 is for the international version. It does not relate to the firmware of the carrier version.

the good thing is that all the GSM model ROMs(not firmware) are interchangeable.

for example...

a ROM that is base on the firmware 1.29 can be flashed on a AT&T model or other GSM model.

By doing so, the AT&T model will act identically to the International model, including improved camera.

Trouble

Banned
Got my free Media Link pre-order bonus today. Nifty, should come in handy during my upcoming 2 weeks in a hotel room.

What the consensus on the best video play? BSPlayer?
I want to play .mkv videos streamed over https.

Got my free Media Link pre-order bonus today. Nifty, should come in handy during my upcoming 2 weeks in a hotel room.

so far BSPlayers plays everything I throw at it..

MX player is good too, but sometimes i get no audio with certain files.

Screen protectors on Gorilla Glass are close to useless.

No they're not. I hate this kind of crap being spread around online. Gorilla GLASS is glass believe it or not. It can be easily scratched depending on what it comes in contact with. I've seen more scratched glass on cellphones than i'd like to see and it's mainly because people are told the glass is nigh on indestructable.

zewone

I've been using MX Player for a long time. It plays everything I throw at it and being able to rew, FF, pause, play, lower/raiser vol, lower/raise brightness all at the flick of a finger makes it my default player.

Every single video player should incorporate these controls.

Jedi2016

No they're not. I hate this kind of crap being spread around online. Gorilla GLASS is glass believe it or not. It can be easily scratched depending on what it comes in contact with. I've seen more scratched glass on cellphones than i'd like to see and it's mainly because people are told the glass is nigh on indestructable.
I've had three iPhones over five years and have yet to get a single scratch on any of them. I've even done the "scratch it with a house key as hard as you can" test, and it came away clean. IMO, if you scratch your phone, it's your fault, not the glass. Don't run it over with your car, and it'll be fine.

I'd be far more worried about shattering the glass than scratching it. In making the glass harder and more scratch-resistant, it also becomes more brittle.

zedge

Gorilla glass seems really inconsistent. Never a scratch on my s1,s2, or s3. My 920 has micro scratches all over. Only a few months old too. Never used a screen protector. It may crack when dropped. But on Samsung phones anyway I have never had a scratch. S3 close to a year old now.

I've had three iPhones over five years and have yet to get a single scratch on any of them. I've even done the "scratch it with a house key as hard as you can" test, and it came away clean. IMO, if you scratch your phone, it's your fault, not the glass. Don't run it over with your car, and it'll be fine.

I'd be far more worried about shattering the glass than scratching it. In making the glass harder and more scratch-resistant, it also becomes more brittle.

Of course it's your fault if you scratch the glass, but its still glass that can get scratched. Your own personal history with your phones is also something not to take into account when giving people advice.

Besides, if you're more worried about it shattering then it's YOUR fault for dropping it right, why get a case? ;)

leng jai

I said almost useless. If you're treating your phone with any type of care whatsoever you don't need a screen protector on Gorilla Glass unless you're anal about hairline scratches. A screen protector looks worse than a screen protector anyway so it defeats the purpose. It's not like a screen protector protects from cracks or people who put swords in their pockets alongside their phone.

VoxPop

I've got nothing so far and I can't find any way to contact someone at Dropbox about it.

I actually just did this today. I was just trying to upload a picture to dropbox and when I logged onto it on my PC, it asked me if I wanted to claim the 25GB. Had to do 5 out of 7 easy steps to get it.

I said almost useless. If you're treating your phone with any type of care whatsoever you don't need a screen protector on Gorilla Glass unless you're anal about hairline scratches. A screen protector looks worse than a screen protector anyway so it defeats the purpose. It's not like a screen protector protects from cracks or people who put swords in their pockets alongside their phone.

You can treat your phone like a fairy princess made of matchsticks, but accidents happen, and if they do "gorilla" glass certainly isn't going to withstand everything that could happen to it.

I actually just did this today. I was just trying to upload a picture to dropbox and when I logged onto it on my PC, it asked me if I wanted to claim the 25GB. Had to do 5 out of 7 easy steps to get it.

I've got 7 out of 7 steps completed. I'll try logging out and logging back in.

Hmm, that is odd. You're signed in to dropbox with the same account right? Sounds stupid but you may have two dropbox accounts by accident?

Nope, only got the one account. It even asked me to change my password since it was out of date on the phone so I went to the desktop and did it, and then used the same password on the phone. So I know for sure it's the same account.

I got my 25gb and all I did was visit a link on my PC.

Which link?

I'm on Bell in Canada. It prompted me to sign in, I signed in (on my phone). And then it gave me a link to visit on my PC, I did it, and that was it, got my 25gb.

Pimpwerx

To those that have the phone already, do you think the lack of removable battery and microSD will be a problem for a phone you plan on keeping for probably 2 years? For someone who doesn't give a shit about twitter or facebook, is there any benefit to the new Blinkfeed thing?

Removable batter and microSD are a non-issue for me. I only changed batts on my Evo, and only because the original one all but died.

As for Blinkfeed, I actually limit the amount of FB stuff on there, and don't have a ton of Twitter feeds I follow. Maybe 40 people tops. So my Blinkfeed is mostly articles. I chose Sports and Business, and I'm very impressed with the cross-section of articles it puts on my feed. If I was to put a number on it, I'd say about 80% relevant articles. Of course, I've only clicked on about 5% of them, so take that how you will. I just don't read that much, and usually I get enough information from the little title attached to the feed.

I will say, that Blinkfeed is the first news aggregator I don't hate with a passion and try to uninstall. I've gladly left Blinkfeed as my home screen, which it is by default. So yeah, I think it's a good app. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

I have T-Mobile. How do I get the 25GB Dropbox deal? This is the first I'm hearing about this, and Google is giving me outdated links. PEACE.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just installed the app on my phone (didn't log in) then came on my laptop and signed into a dropbox account I'd setup a while ago. It says I'm 4 steps away from 25GB. I don't know if installing on the phone first is important.

Con_Smith

Banned
Day one with the device and besides spotty coverage I have had nothing but good times so far. Took me awhile to get accustomed to sense and I'm gonna enjoy stock a few days before I do anything heavy.

Blinkfeed is cool. Although I wish I could customize it a bit more it does a really nice job as a news feed.

Speakers are sick, headphones give decent sound.

will talk more later this weekend after some heavy use and experimentation.

Pimpwerx

Thanks for the link to the "3 button" remover. It's been bugging the shit out of me in FF3, and now it's gone. It was cutting down on the screen size. I thought it was an Android thing.

The speakers are indeed sick. It's not like a boom box, but these are by far the best phone speakers I've ever heard. I listen to podcasts on speaker all the time, so now it's not all tinny sounding.

When I get home at night, I like to take the phone out of the case and use it bare while sitting on my sofa. I don't dare walk out past the rug with it, as I don't want to drop it on the tiles. It's a really beautiful phone.

This is my first phone I've played games on that weren't simple text games. Temple Run Oz and FF3 are taking up copious amounts of my time. I'm quite impressed with the framerates on these games too. Extremely smooth. I tried the PSP emulator, and that gave me mixed results. The Android games, though, all look great even running maxed out. PEACE.

Deitus

Well, I see no reason to hold out any longer. In all honesty, I would have gotten this a week ago, but I've been busy. I'll probably head down to the Sprint store tomorrow and get this phone (assuming they have them in stock).

In the meantime, I've been looking into cases and such. It's a beautiful phone, but I just feel too nervous to carry it naked. What do you guys think of this case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ2Y458/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The grey plastic edges seem to go well with the black model of the phone (which is the one I was planning on getting), it's not too bulky, and the clear back doesn't seem to look as cheap as some of the other clear cases. Plus the logo is fairly small, which is a plus. Seems like a decent compromise between showing off the phone and protecting it, although I know to some people covering up the phone at all is blasphemy.

Also, the one thing I'm going to miss about my Evo is the kickstand. All of the kickstand cases I've seen for the One are either bulky, awful looking, of poor build quality, or some combination of the three. Does anyone have another solution for keeping the phone propped up when watching video or listening to music?

Volotaire

Well, I see no reason to hold out any longer. In all honesty, I would have gotten this a week ago, but I've been busy. I'll probably head down to the Sprint store tomorrow and get this phone (assuming they have them in stock).

In the meantime, I've been looking into cases and such. It's a beautiful phone, but I just feel too nervous to carry it naked. What do you guys think of this case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ2Y458/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The grey plastic edges seem to go well with the black model of the phone (which is the one I was planning on getting), it's not too bulky, and the clear back doesn't seem to look as cheap as some of the other clear cases. Plus the logo is fairly small, which is a plus. Seems like a decent compromise between showing off the phone and protecting it, although I know to some people covering up the phone at all is blasphemy.

Also, the one thing I'm going to miss about my Evo is the kickstand. All of the kickstand cases I've seen for the One are either bulky, awful looking, of poor build quality, or some combination of the three. Does anyone have another solution for keeping the phone propped up when watching video or listening to music?

There's a video on this case here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4rMY0UY8k

Deitus

Actually, that's a different case. That's just a bumper, while the case I linked actually has a clear plastic shell covering the back. I did find a video on the case I linked though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRjJhCk4XE

This is orange though, which looks much worse than the grey in my opinion. I'm still on the fence about the frosted glass though. It helps hide smudges and scratches, which is good. The frosting isn't particularly opaque, so it doesn't really obscure anything, but I worry that the back might look sort of dull when filtered through the mildly foggy glass. It's hard to get a feel for it in a video, especially since there aren't any videos with the black model of the phone that I've seen.

Oh well, at least its not an especially expensive case. If I decide to try it out and I don't like it, at least it won't be a very costly mistake.

VoxPop

I just might go and root my phone just for the 3 dot menu removal. Can I change the system font easily afterwards? Also whats the deal with changing kernels? Haven't rooted an Android phone since the Incredible. I want that HTC logo as a home button lol.

I just might go and root my phone just for the 3 dot menu removal. Can I change the system font easily afterwards? Also whats the deal with changing kernels? Haven't rooted an Android phone since the Incredible. I want that HTC logo as a home button lol.
Changing the system fonts is easy with root. Even easier with a Galaxy, as they support flipfonts which don't need root.

If you want to have the HTC logo as a home button...the you need to flash a diffrent kernal.

abunai

Just got mine, it's pretty.

(taken with nexus 4)
img_20130504_194335pfbgs.jpg

Rooted and flashed faux kernel and Trickdroid atm. Hopefully paranoidandroid gets ported over, missing some of the hybrid settings.

Something that is bugging me, though; in fauxclock you can alter the vibration intensity and test it. When tested, the vibration is very 'smooth' sounding. When I receive a message or email, the vibration from the notification is very 'harsh'. It's not a different intensity, it just sounds like something is loose, sort of.

Obviously nothing is broken, because it sounds perfectly fine (every time) when testing in fauxclock. Was just wondering if anyone else's device's vibration sounds harsh.

VoxPop

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I read about needing to change the kernel for the button. Anyone know how to change that god awful Sense status bar? I really love the one in LockerPro that they show on the lockscreen (screenshot below). Also is there a way to theme the notifications pull down menu?

VoxPop

Just got mine, it's pretty.

(taken with nexus 4)

Rooted and flashed faux kernel and Trickdroid atm. Hopefully paranoidandroid gets ported over, missing some of the hybrid settings.

Something that is bugging me, though; in fauxclock you can alter the vibration intensity and test it. When tested, the vibration is very 'smooth' sounding. When I receive a message or email, the vibration from the notification is very 'harsh'. It's not a different intensity, it just sounds like something is loose, sort of.

Obviously nothing is broken, because it sounds perfectly fine (every time) when testing in fauxclock. Was just wondering if anyone else's device's vibration sounds harsh.

Oh man so jealous of that black..

Top Bottom