• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Cipherr

The Verge: "First, I ran the Verge Battery Test, our standard test that cycles through a series of popular websites and high-res images with brightness set to 65 percent. The One lasted 4 hours, 48 minutes, a decidedly average score"

Almost 5 hours of web browsing at 65% brightness

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

10 hours at 50% brightness

You really have to wonder what it is that The Verge is doing differently. Looking at their guide lines nothing seems different about the test other than the brightness which shouldn't cause a 50% difference in battery life. Could it be the network? The kinds and resolution of images they are loading?

Man... that is a massive difference. Im telling you, I don't know whats going on, this is not the first time I have noticed such a huge discrepancy.

That's quite the large ass difference in life for just 15% brightness difference. I mean, thats HALF. Such a similar test, and one place gets near 10 hours, and the other gets 5?

Someone is fucking up....

Husker86

Man... that is a massive difference. Im telling you, I don't know whats going on, this is not the first time I have noticed such a huge discrepancy.

That's quite the large ass difference in life for just 15% brightness difference. I mean, thats HALF. Such a similar test, and one place gets near 10 hours, and the other gets 5?

Someone is fucking up....

GSM arena gives the same time stat for the iPhone 5 (for web browsing at least) which was way over what I would get when I had it. I find all of their times incredibly high. I never had "battery issues" with my iPhone either, I found the battery life great. Just not that great. Their endurance rating seems in line of what I would get though, so I don't know.

Looks like a pretty clear victory for the Galaxy S4. I still think I'm going with the one. Build quality matters and I think sense looks so much cleaner and nicer than touchwiz

The One seems to win on what I care about the most, although I don't agree with them saying the S4 is better for the screen. They seem to think bigger means better (which it doesn't) and seemed to push the S4 over the edge with less reflection.

The One seems to win on what I care about the most, although I don't agree with them saying the S4 is better for the screen. They seem to think bigger means better (which it doesn't) and seemed to push the S4 over the edge with less reflection.

Right I agree there. And the One X still has the nicest screen I've ever seen in person so I'm fairly confident the Ones going to look gorgeous.

Looks like a pretty clear victory for the Galaxy S4. I still think I'm going with the one. Build quality matters and I think sense looks so much cleaner and nicer than touchwiz

you mean fashion sense right? nobody questions the build *quality* of Samsung handsets... while HTC on the other hand...

bigger screen in a smaller frame, better contrast, better sunlight viewing, Adobe RGB setting for people who complain about blown out colors.. how is it anything but a win?

bigger screen in a smaller frame, better contrast, better sunlight viewing, Adobe RGB setting for people who complain about blown out colors.. how is it anything but a win?

Lower DPI, lower brightness, pentile screen, bigger screen in a plastic frame (seeing as you brought that up). I'm also amazed that Samsung didn't make the adobe setting a standard and ONLY setting, seeing how it should be accuracy you're going for. Most people won't even know what it does and use a worse looking setting.

I'll eat my hat if Samsung make a better looking screen than HTC. They certainly haven't in the past.

Still buying the HTC One.

Sure, the S4 might have better specs but to me, a casual user, they don't matter much. The only thing that worries me is the battery life but apparently the HTC One is on par with the S4 browsing the web.

Also, if you trade your old android phone, you can get a $100 credit towards the HTC one. Just go to htc.com

Lower DPI, lower brightness, pentile screen, bigger screen in a plastic frame (seeing as you brought that up). I'm also amazed that Samsung didn't make the adobe setting a standard and ONLY setting, seeing how it should be accuracy you're going for. Most people won't even know what it does and use a worse looking setting.

most people prefer the standard setting, that's why it's the standard setting. it's not that they don't care that the colors are blown out, it's that they actually *want* it that way. for the people who care, they have the option to change the setting. i mean, Sony even runs ads promoting similar blown out colors in their phones with their 'Mobile Bravia Engine' catchphrase. it's not just a Samsung thing...

I'll eat my hat if Samsung make a better looking screen than HTC. They certainly haven't in the past.

i guess you're from the redverse where HTC has better looking screens... over here it's Samsung.

i guess you're from the redverse where HTC has better looking screens... over here it's Samsung.

Opinions. In the end it's up to the individual.

Some aspects are better than others, for sure, but either way we should be able to agree that both phones have pretty fucking nice screens.

most people prefer the standard setting, that's why it's the standard setting. it's not that they don't care that the colors are blown out, it's that they actually *want* it that way. for the people who care, they have the option to change the setting. i mean, Sony even runs ads promoting similar blown out colors in their phones with their 'Mobile Bravia Engine' catchphrase. it's not just a Samsung thing...

The main reason I disliked the display on the s3 was the way it made whites look blueish other than that it was a very nice display though I still preferred the One X to it

KingRAW

Neo Member
It's not so much of how "big" are a phones specs as much as how composed and good it feels in it's own skin. When you under a two year contract a phone has to be built for the longhaul, and we all know that other phones will notch the One and S4 out over time.

To me the HTC One is better suited to meet future needs and can much improve on this already great platform.

reKon

Banned
I don't know how ROM/Kernel development will be for this phone in the long run, but it seems like that a stable rom/kernel would fix the idling drain, produce better battery life, and make this phone nearly god like.

If the Nexus 4 with it's 2100 mAH battery and 4.7 inch display can give people 4-5 hours on screen time for battery life (from XDA). I'm sure that the HTC One would show up with similar results, even at 1080p.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Sure, the S4 might have better specs but to me, a casual user, they don't matter much. The only thing that worries me is the battery life but apparently the HTC One is on par with the S4 browsing the web.

Also, if you trade your old android phone, you can get a $100 credit towards the HTC one. Just go to htc.com

Does this work with any shitty Android phone?

I don't really want the One, but $100 off is mighty tempting, especially if I can unload one of my old phones

Edit: Looks like you can! Goodbye shitty old Motorola Spice, hello HTC One. Sucks that it's a prepaid Visa though, would rather just have them lop the price off at time of purchase.

It's not so much of how "big" are a phones specs as much as how composed and good it feels in it's own skin. When you under a two year contract a phone has to be built for the longhaul, and we all know that other phones will notch the One and S4 out over time.

To me the HTC One is better suited to meet future needs and can much improve on this already great platform.

Wouldn't the phone that has better/quicker Operating System support, removable memory, and removable/replaceable battery be better to meet future needs?

I've been really stuck with this phone vs S4 but I think I have to go with S4 for the reasons I just mentioned.

I've never wanted an Android phone. Until now. That thing is so damned sexy.

Same!

This will be my first android device. We can take the plunge together :)

Wouldn't the phone that has better/quicker Operating System support, removable memory, and removable/replaceable battery be better to meet future needs?

Yeah, if that is the most important part of your phone buying decision, I don't know why you'd even consider the One. S4 is the clear winner according to your preferences.

Same!

This will be my first android device. We can take the plunge together :)

Yeah, if that is the most important part of your phone buying decision, I don't know why you'd even consider the One. S4 is the clear winner according to your preferences.

Because the One's sexyness and Sense UI were cancelling out a lot of the problems that I'm having with it. But the S4's one con isn't enough to cancel out all of its pros.

Because the One's sexyness and Sense UI were cancelling out a lot of the problems that I'm having with it. But the S4's one con isn't enough to cancel out all of its pros.

It certainly is a sexy device! Easily my favorite since the iPhone 4.

S4 is a great device as well. Can't really go wrong choosing between the two

This has never stopped iPhone users. It only seems to matter in an arguments between One and S4. I've had my iPhone for years and never once regretted no SD card or removable battery.

This has never stopped iPhone users. It only seems to matter in an arguments between One and S4. I've had my iPhone for years and never once regretted no SD card or removable battery.

It only matters in this argument because the S4 has the capability to do those things and the poster felt that the One was still better in that regard.

As an iPhone user, the lack of removable battery never bothered me and 32GB was plenty. Their build quality/fragmantation/ecosystem were enough to keep me around for so long.

But for many of those years AT&T took care of us iPhone owners with monthly payments about $100. We got new iPhones every year for upgrade prices. Now they've made it increasingly harder to do that, by harder I mean we can't do that anymore. So I'm looking for a phone that can last me two years and removable memory and battery are important to me once again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It only matters in this argument because the S4 has the capability to do those things and the poster felt that the One was still better in that regard.

Exactly. Most android phones support SD cards to expand available memory so it makes perfect sense to touch up on it. While the iPhone gets a free pass from that criticism (the "Reality Distortion" effect in full swing) by many, android vs android is a legit comparison and I can absolutely understand why one would be upset at the lack of SD card or removable battery at that. I'm not too happy without either of those, but I'm sure I can live with it.

As an iPhone user, the lack of removable battery never bothered me and 32GB was plenty. Their build quality/fragmantation/ecosystem were enough to keep me around for so long.

But for many of those years AT&T took care of us iPhone owners with monthly payments about $100. We got new iPhones every year for upgrade prices. Now they've made it increasingly harder to do that, by harder I mean we can't do that anymore. So I'm looking for a phone that can last me two years and removable memory and battery are important to me once again.

What do you do on your/put on your phone that would require more than 64gb of storage?

Just curious. I've never come close to filling up my 32GB

What do you do on your/put on your phone that would require more than 64gb of storage?

My comfortable (amount that I'd like to have on me at all times) music and apps/photos on my iPhone fill up 32GB.

With this new 5" 1080p screen, who knows what else I'll want to throw on there :)

reKon

Banned

I actually don't mind at all as long as the storage is 32 GB minimum (because of large apps, photos, and gigs of music cached from google music) and the battery great. The problem is that I know the battery will get worse over time and the galaxy S4 is already beating it out. I don't want to have regrets about that anymore. I've suffered enough with the Galaxy Nexus (which I've gotten to get decent battery life with the extended battery).

VoxPop

I actually don't mind at all as long as the storage is 32 GB minimum (because of large apps, photos, and gigs of music cached from google music) and the battery great. The problem is that I know the battery will get worse over time and the galaxy S4 is already beating it out. I don't want to have regrets about that anymore. I've suffered enough with the Galaxy Nexus (which I've gotten to get decent battery life with the extended battery).

All the Nexus' (One, S, Nexus) I've owned have had notoriously bad battery life. Haven't tried the N4 but from the battery tests and opinions of people and on blogs, it doesn't look any better. Never using a Nexus device again due to that. I'd be happy with any battery that's even close to what my iPhone 5 delivers right now which seems to be the case with the One.

Removable storage is a joke especially when I have to root my phone to even use the SD card for apps. 32GB is plenty for me at least. I really don't see the advantage of the S4 over the One imo aside from the battery. Don't want the slightly bigger screen, don't need the expandable storage, don't need the replaceable battery, don't need the plastic casing, or their gimmicky features which will be covered up with a launcher anyway. The US won't even get the octacore processor which is essentially overkill at this point as well considering there are no games or heavy duty apps on Android.

I think the HTC One is the perfect transition for iPhone users imo since they retain the great design and get some top of the line specs along with their switch.

Cipherr

All of my music.

All of it. Throw in apps and games on top of that, massive photo collections (all of our photos are digital these days) and you can fill space quickly.

But its mostly all lossless full quality music.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
GSM arena gives the same time stat for the iPhone 5 (for web browsing at least) which was way over what I would get when I had it. I find all of their times incredibly high. I never had "battery issues" with my iPhone either, I found the battery life great. Just not that great. Their endurance rating seems in line of what I would get though, so I don't know.

The 10 hour result is from browsing continuously until the battery dies. When you throw in some standby time in there, the results won't be as high.

I trust Anandtech's results more than the Verge which is not tech savvy. Anandtech got 10 hours of browsing on the iPhone 5. Their One review should also be out soon.

VPhys

Hmm, that signup sheet leads you to believe the one is coming to Verizon.

Top Bottom