• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

negitoro7

Does anyone know, or are able to guess whether the HTC One will be able to play the video files from my Panasonic GH3?

I record in either 1080 60p AVCHD in 28mpbs or 1080 60p MOV in 50mbps quality.

TokiDoki

Crazy good design there , the One that truly care about design .

I got a One X and love the design as well , and now HTC One started to tempt me again :(

reKon

Banned
Ah you're right, it's a separate page from the review so I missed it my first time through.

It's a weird little discrepancy between the two. Maybe Sense 5.0 added a teeny bit of strain.

Yeah that's ridiculous. Based on these scores though, this means that this phone has the 2nd best realtime user battery life... only the Maxx phones beat it.

Yeah that's ridiculous. Based on these scores though, this means that this phone has the 2nd best realtime user battery life... only the Maxx phones beat it.

It's made me feel a lot better about getting it. Even though i'm always near a charger it's always nice to know it'll last in case i'm not.

pubba

I can get one here in China for 3550 RMB Gnnnn.... so tempted.

That's about $571 USD - is that a good price?

Previous HTC users, how good is this Sense thing?

Is it like Windows live Tiles?
there's like 1000 things wrong with this post

Sense is not a good thing and it's absolutely nothing like live tiles. You're extrapolating too much from the forced blinkfeed widget. It's just that. A widget they are forcing onto one of your homescreens. Everything else looks nothing like that.

there's like 1000 things wrong with this post

Sense is not a good thing and it's absolutely nothing like live tiles. You're extrapolating too much from the forced blinkfeed widget. It's just that. A widget they are forcing onto one of your homescreens. Everything else looks nothing like that.

I understand that. But is the Blinkfeed useful for social updates, stock ticker, etc ??

Are the tiles "live"

I understand that. But is the Blinkfeed useful for social updates, stock ticker, etc ??

Are the tiles "live"
they aren't "live" but the widget will update at intervals you set. I'm assuming though you can set it to auto update as soon as anything new comes up, of course your battery will be utterly destroyed by that.

they aren't "live" but the widget will update at intervals you set. I'm assuming though you can set it to auto update as soon as anything new comes up, of course your battery will be utterly destroyed by that.

Okay thanks. Yeah I know the phones UI doesn't look like that and just a widget that occupies one of my pages.

But I was wondering just how useful it is. Its one of the reasons I'm leaning towards this phone because I like the look of it and its ability to update the tiles with pertinent information when I unlock the phone and swipe to that page.

Since both this and the S4 are releasing in late April, what are the chances that Google lets something "slip" or even announces their new phone before then?

Since both this and the S4 are releasing in late April, what are the chances that Google lets something "slip" or even announces their new phone before then?

I hope google lets something slip. I can't upgrade until June and the only thing that will stop me from the HTC One will be the new Google/Moto flagship. Have no interest in the S4

I hope google lets something slip. I can't upgrade until June and the only thing that will stop me from the HTC One will be the new Google/Moto flagship. Have no interest in the S4

How come?

The only things holding back from it are the body design and that touch-wiz thing.

this so called "x phone" from googarola will probably leak some time in late april if it is truly to be announced mid may. As for nexus 5, that won't be until Q4 at least.

catmincer

How come?

The only things holding back from it are the body design and that touch-wiz thing.

IMO if you pay for a high end phone, it should not be made from shitty, cheap plastic. The look of the S3 and the feel make it look cheap. This does not appear to be rectified in the S4.

How come?

The whole plastic phone thing. I won't get into it too much cause some people seem to take offense with that - which is really strange to me.

The only time i would make an exception for a plastic phone would be the note(unless some other handset maker offered an alternative)

reKon

Banned
Shit, this phone looks so nice... to me this is best designed phone I've ever seen and it comes with good battery life. I'm tempted to just get a T-mobile plan since I think that my company reimburses the cost of the plan and just get this phone if the X Phone disappoints. If the next Nexus happens to incredible, I'd just sell the HTC One and just finally start buying off contract phones.

The Verge keeps fucking up. What are they doing over there?

The Verge: "First, I ran the Verge Battery Test, our standard test that cycles through a series of popular websites and high-res images with brightness set to 65 percent. The One lasted 4 hours, 48 minutes, a decidedly average score"

Almost 5 hours of web browsing at 65% brightness

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

10 hours at 50% brightness

You really have to wonder what it is that The Verge is doing differently. Looking at their guide lines nothing seems different about the test other than the brightness which shouldn't cause a 50% difference in battery life. Could it be the network? The kinds and resolution of images they are loading?

I've always been fond of The Verge but haven't had much experience comparing their opinions to mine (since i've stuck with the same phone for 3 years), and I've personally never heard of GSMArena so I don't know how credible they are. Perhaps someone could chime in?

The Verge: "First, I ran the Verge Battery Test, our standard test that cycles through a series of popular websites and high-res images with brightness set to 65 percent. The One lasted 4 hours, 48 minutes, a decidedly average score"

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

You really have to wonder what it is that The Verge is doing differently. Looking at their guide lines nothing seems different about the test other than the brightness which shouldn't cause a 50% difference in battery life. Could it be the network? The kinds and resolution of images they are loading?

I've always been fond of The Verge but haven't had much experience comparing their opinions to mine (since i've stuck with the same phone for 3 years), and I've personally never heard of GSMArena so I don't know how credible they are. Perhaps someone could chime in?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, those are massive differences. Not sure what to believe.

liger05

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

GSM are super credible. They been doing this since way back when. I remember using GSM arena for info back in the pocket PC days way before smartphones become cool.

Madness

Are some people walking around with server material?

This is negligible as I can see more and more company's moving away from removable storage. 64gb is more than enough for me on a mobile phone.

Sorry I had to reply. Usually the jump from 16/32/64 gb of internal space is usually a hundred dollars per increase. If I can get a 16 phone for cheap, I can then get a 32 or 64 gb microsd card for only $25-50 bucks.

From an end user/consumer standpoint, it makes more sense to include a microsd slot, than to not include it. And it makes a difference to those of us who either don't have THAT much money or require a lot of space. More choice and options never hurts. If you can design a great sim card opening, you can do the same for a microsd slot.

For example, last year the HTC one X I bought on sale for $49 on a three year contract. The 32 gb version was $199 on a three year. Now had the one X come with a microsd slot, I could have put in a card for under $20 to match the storage of the 32gb one.

They won't. As much as Google hates Samsung and HTC developing their own software and trying to supersede android really, they need the market share and increase in android users running 4.0 and higher.

Though we did sort of get a hint about a possible Nexus 5. That leaked LG image may be a mockup but the fact it was running a watch Dogs promo makes me wonder if they will try and tie it into the game since the main hero uses a phone to hack things.

But aside from internals, maybe screen, it's probably going to be very similar to these phones.

GSM are super credible. They been doing this since way back when. I remember using GSM arena for info back in the pocket PC days way before smartphones become cool.

I've always found GSMarena's findings to be on the high end of reality.

And reading through their comprehensive review I found them to be very in-depth and concise. As much as I prefer The Verges formatting and style there is this odd sense of haste to the way they approach things.

I'm still sold on the phone either way, but it'll be nice to know who to trust once I start playing around with it myself.

Mook1e

Um, what? The GSIII Jelly Bean review says 50hrs and the Note II gets 69hrs.

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

better then verge.

Jigolo

I'm sad that this got delayed. I'm really scared for HTC right now, releasing the phone around the time the GS4 is a bad move. I'll buy this phone because I believe this could be HTCs last phone :( and I love HTC. I do hope they turn things around but damn,, it doesn't look that way.

vs.

gsmarena_001.jpg

They are very credible. The Verge's review is only a part of the whole picture. The Verge also said the One's camera was subpar whereas the majority of other reviews I said is that it is one of the best if not the best camera on a smartphone.

It doesn't hurt to read more than 1 review. Engadget, GSM, Phonedog, technobuffulo, phonearena, etc. The phone is fantastic, don't let the verge's review sway you.

reKon

Banned
Um, what? The GSIII Jelly Bean review says 50hrs and the Note II gets 69hrs.

I said based on just real time use (look at the three scores)... I forgot about the Note II though, so that would make this 3rd. Still one of the best phones for on screen battery life if this test is accurate. I figure that the battery drainage on idle could be easily resolved and that would boost it's score by a lot.

I'm sad that this got delayed. I'm really scared for HTC right now, releasing the phone around the time the GS4 is a bad move. I'll buy this phone because I believe this could be HTCs last phone :( and I love HTC. I do hope they turn things around but damn,, it doesn't look that way.

They are very credible. The Verge's review is only a part of the whole picture. The Verge also said the One's camera was subpar whereas the majority of other reviews I said is that it is one of the best if not the best camera on a smartphone.

It doesn't hurt to read more than 1 review. Engadget, GSM, Phonedog, technobuffulo, phonearena, etc. The phone is fantastic, don't let the verge's review sway you.
pretty sure that every review except technobuffalo said the camera was great in low light and fair to poor otherwise.

Engaget liked it:
"In short, even though it's not perfect and we'd love to be able to get more detail from zoomed-in shots, the One's UltraPixels methodology appears to be completely sound. We're confident enough in its quality, in fact, to declare the One as our new go-to camera."

The Verge had a temperate response:
"That's all nice to have, but it doesn't change the fact that the pictures I took on the One just don't look very good. Sure, shots are bright and colors are good, but it's clear noise reduction processing is running roughshod all over the photos you take, leaving them soft and mushy even in good lighting. Nothing looks sharp or crisp, no matter the situation. Things look fine at Facebook or Instagram sizes, which HTC is clearly betting is all you need, but when you zoom or crop, photos lose a lot of their luster. I like the shots I'm able to get with the One's camera — I've started taking more pictures in dark restaurants, or on the street at night — but I'm not always impressed with the shots I get."

And a realistic outlook from GSMArena:
"So all in all, the HTC One camera might be a slight disappointment when it comes to shots in good light, but it makes up for it with superior low-light shots. Depending on where and when you do most of your shooting this might make the One the cameraphone of your dreams or a pretty mediocre performer."

Mixed.

Mook1e

Engaget liked it:
"In short, even though it's not perfect and we'd love to be able to get more detail from zoomed-in shots, the One's UltraPixels methodology appears to be completely sound. We're confident enough in its quality, in fact, to declare the One as our new go-to camera."

The Verge had a temperate response:
"That's all nice to have, but it doesn't change the fact that the pictures I took on the One just don't look very good. Sure, shots are bright and colors are good, but it's clear noise reduction processing is running roughshod all over the photos you take, leaving them soft and mushy even in good lighting. Nothing looks sharp or crisp, no matter the situation. Things look fine at Facebook or Instagram sizes, which HTC is clearly betting is all you need, but when you zoom or crop, photos lose a lot of their luster. I like the shots I'm able to get with the One's camera — I've started taking more pictures in dark restaurants, or on the street at night — but I'm not always impressed with the shots I get."

And a realistic outlook from GSMArena:
"So all in all, the HTC One camera might be a slight disappointment when it comes to shots in good light, but it makes up for it with superior low-light shots. Depending on where and when you do most of your shooting this might make the One the cameraphone of your dreams or a pretty mediocre performer."

Mixed.
I think Androidcentral put it pretty well:
But we can’t help feeling that the UltraPixel camera just doesn’t live up to all of the pre-release hype. In the right conditions it’s impressive for sure, but it’s not the holy grail of smartphone photography.

In my ever-changing mind about the decision to get this vs s4, today I'm leaning towards the s4. Mainly due to remove-able memory and software support. The only thing i really dont like about the s4 is the body but i'll have a case on it most of the time anyways.

Top Bottom