• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

zewone

Nillkin leather fold case arrived yesterday. I like it. Low profile and subtle look.

SsCnhUt.jpg

lnaRRZj.jpg

hcEWbnA.jpg

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Hmmm.. I am begining to suspect that blinkfeed drains a lot of data. Used like 400mb in a short amount of time

It's set to only auto refresh on wifi by default. Did you confirm this with the built in data usage tracker? (Settings, more, data usage)

That's a Note 2 though man. I'm rocking a GNex.

You should get an S4 then.

Well every year is a bit crazy isn't it? Every 18-24 months is more suitable to be honest. But you're right about improvements, the the real world performance in the hardware changes won't do much difference anymore for a time.

Nah, every year was pretty might spot on the past few years because of the absolutely insane pace of innovation between 2009 and 2012.

I went from Droid X -> Gnex -> Note II and if you told me that each new phone wasn't a huge jump over the previous one I would laugh in your face. It's only recently that innovation has slowed to the point where I feel like I could actually skip a year and not feel like I missed anything.

Achtius

beginning to suspect? lol. It's pretty much been a forgone conclusion since before it was released.

Set it so it only updates manually or something if you're using it. Don't know if that helps though as I don't use it at all.

I have it manual update,but i can't stop myself to scroll down to update! :(:(:(:(
70mb left for this month!!!

The difference in battery life compared to my Gnex is insane. The first day I got 4 hours of screen time with moderate usage the entire day (few youtube videos, steaming Google music while browsing to work and back). This was with 4g for half of the day when it was available with power saver mode off with 60%+ brightness. The kicker to all of this that I work in an office building that you get absolutely terrible signal in. With my Gnex, with data off without a charger it would easily kill my battery before me leaving. I'm betting that with with this phone I could get 6 hours + screen time easily with heavier usage if I have a good signal. Remember that all of this with me barely using WiFi in a place with terrible reception. I have syncd gmail, facebook messenger always running, Google now activated with location reporting off, GPS on, but falcon widget on manual refresh and blinkfeed off.

Today I'm going to use power saver mode the whole day and see the difference it makes. I lost a little over a percent in 6 hours this past night so looking good so far
I'm also gonna be upgrading from a GNex. I'm so glad to hear these impressions.

RoKKeR

Day 2 of lockscreen adventures:

Really like this one. Only trouble is I can't get my apps to perfectly line up from lockscreen swipe to my homescreen. They only shift a tiny bit but I can't get them exact. It's really bugging me. Other than that, I'm loving this theme/wallpaper.

Gila

Day 2 of lockscreen adventures:

Really like this one. Only trouble is I can't get my apps to perfectly line up from lockscreen swipe to my homescreen. They only shift a tiny bit but I can't get them exact. It's really bugging me. Other than that, I'm loving this theme/wallpaper.

How do you do this?

kinggroin

Banned
You should get an S4 then.

Nah, every year was pretty might spot on the past few years because of the absolutely insane pace of innovation between 2009 and 2012.

I went from Droid X -> Gnex -> Note II and if you told me that each new phone wasn't a huge jump over the previous one I would laugh in your face. It's only recently that innovation has slowed to the point where I feel like I could actually skip a year and not feel like I missed anything.

I had the exact same upgrade path if you remember, and yeah, bellowing laughter in the face who disagrees with your point.

In this order, each phone brought a dramatic improvement in the following areas:

Utility/functionality, cohesiveness, and combination of the previous two refined greatly plus massive performance increase

Trouble

Banned
Huh, didn't think of that, I'll give it a shot.

Edit: On hold right now with tech support. Guy said the system said not eligible, but he's trying to see what he can do.

Edit2: Case opened, so hopefully they'll email me an unlock code.

Woot! AT&T emailed me an unlock code while I was flying across the Atlantic. My work had a dumb phone and micro-sim waiting for me. Popped the SIM into my One and unlocked it. Now I have a fully functional smart phone with data.

:D :D :D

Gannd

Banned
The phone is on its way to my job right now, can't wait!

For those of you who have AT&T, did you get the insurance for this phone?

He told me it was $10 a month with a $200 deductible but that I could call him to cancel it later if I wanted.

Insurance is a scam. The unlocked phone from HTC is $500. You're paying $440 over two years and if the phone doesn't break you're screwed. Is it worth spending $440 for the possibility to save $60? Hell no! It isn't!

After just over a week I'm still not that happy with the battery.

From a full day of use I got from 100% to around 60% (6:30am to about 11:00pm). In that time I received one phone call, sent about ten-fifteen texts and did minimal browsing. No gaming, video or music playback in that time.

I have power cycled the phone once (last weekend) and I'm using several battery apps to keep track of what is going on with the phone.

The biggest culprit I can think of that some people have mentioned around here is that I am not getting full bars on LTE. Sometimes just one or two in Toronto. My commute also takes me on the subway.

Power Saver is on.

The next step which has already been suggested by a few on here is to root and see what I can do from there. Just haven't had the chance yet.

Gannd

Banned

From a full day of use I got from 100% to around 60% (6:30am to about 11:00pm). In that time I received one phone call, sent about ten-fifteen texts and did minimal browsing. No gaming, video or music playback in that time.

I have power cycled the phone once (last weekend) and I'm using several battery apps to keep track of what is going on with the phone.

The biggest culprit I can think of that some people have mentioned around here is that I am not getting full bars on LTE. Sometimes just one or two in Toronto. My commute also takes me on the subway.

Power Saver is on.

The next step which has already been suggested by a few on here is to root and see what I can do from there. Just haven't had the chance yet.

How much power do you want left? That's a full days use. Is that a normal day of use for you? I personally am happy as long as I get enough juice to get through the day and can charge while I sleep.

How much power do you want left? That's a full days use. Is that a normal day of use for you? I personally am happy as long as I get enough juice to get through the day and can charge while I sleep.

More power!

I'm just comparing the same battery life I would get from an iPhone 4 and I'd usually be around 80% at the end of the time with the same sort of use. I fear that if I decide to sit down and play a game on the thing for an hour or use it for music on my commute it will end up being a lot less.

I feel like I can stretch the device's battery life further.

My car has a 3.5mm audio jack for line-in devices. What kind of cable would I need for this phone to run from the phone to my car to get it to output audio?

Power Saver is on.

next time you should post screens of the battery stats (extended) and screen on screens, but uhhh... that sounds like good life for a smartphone.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

Power Saver is on.

This is the lesson I learned from the HTC One X and swore to never to buy an HTC phone again. HTC will sacrifice everything for the sake of a pretty design.

next time you should post screens of the battery stats (extended) and screen on screens, but uhhh... that sounds like good life for a smartphone.

Yeah. I've been busy with my girlfriend's move but I've been meaning to sit down and take a closer look at the data.

I may be just crazy paranoid but I think the numbers could be better.

This is the lesson I learned from the HTC One X and swore to never to buy an HTC phone again. HTC will sacrifice everything for the sake of a pretty design.

A lot of people are saying they're getting great battery life out of the device. I'm not sure what I should be expecting though.

Bergsy

My phone has been delayed AGAIN! 25/5 is the next 'possible' stock update.

If i wasn't getting a good deal I'd of gone elsewhere.

Gannd

Banned
More power!

I'm just comparing the same battery life I would get from an iPhone 4 and I'd usually be around 80% at the end of the time with the same sort of use. I fear that if I decide to sit down and play a game on the thing for an hour or use it for music on my commute it will end up being a lot less.

I feel like I can stretch the device's battery life further.

Post a screen of your battery. I haven't watched mine that closely but I'm getting through the day just as well as I did with my iPhone 5. LTE can be a battery hog.

Post a screen of your battery. I haven't watched mine that closely but I'm getting through the day just as well as I did with my iPhone 5. LTE can be a battery hog.

I'll get around to posting something either tonight or tomorrow.

I did have periods of shitty battery on my iPhone 4 as well. After a couple of power cycles it corrected itself. I'm going to be staying in a lot this weekend so I think I'm going to try completely draining and charging up the battery a couple of times.

abunai

I'll get around to posting something either tonight or tomorrow.

I did have periods of shitty battery on my iPhone 4 as well. After a couple of power cycles it corrected itself. I'm going to be staying in a lot this weekend so I think I'm going to try completely draining and charging up the battery a couple of times.

I don't intend for this to come off as gloating, just saying what I get with mine; over 2 days (8am day 1 - 11pm day 2) I had a screen on time of 6hrs 45ish minutes screen on time, most of that was 3g web browsing, a few hours music thrown in (beats off, eugh) and about an hour of playing an emulator with a whole bunch of messages thrown inbetween.

I found that since flashing a custom rom and kernel, the idle usage improved a lot. With data/wifi off my device drains about 1% every 2 hours. 3G on is about 1% an hour. Before flashing, it was in the region of 4-5% an hour regardless. Faux123's kernel in particular has some great deep sleep states that almost drain no power at all.

I have seen people mentioning very erratic battery power on xda (it's xda.. but still), perhaps your battery is faulty if you feel it drains too much? There is a lot of factors, though.

I don't intend for this to come off as gloating, just saying what I get with mine; over 2 days (8am day 1 - 11pm day 2) I had a screen on time of 6hrs 45ish minutes screen on time, most of that was 3g web browsing, a few hours music thrown in (beats off, eugh) and about an hour of playing an emulator with a whole bunch of messages thrown inbetween.

I found that since flashing a custom rom and kernel, the idle usage improved a lot. With data/wifi off my device drains about 1% every 2 hours. 3G on is about 1% an hour. Before flashing, it was in the region of 4-5% an hour regardless. Faux123's kernel in particular has some great deep sleep states that almost drain no power at all.

I have seen people mentioning very erratic battery power on xda (it's xda.. but still), perhaps your battery is faulty if you feel it drains too much? There is a lot of factors, though.

Sounds like flashing was the big difference in your case. I'm planning on doing this when I have some free time. I don't get the impression that this is due to a faulty battery. Not quite ready to go there yet.

Thanks for the info though. It's good to have some comparisons. I also noticed your browsing on 3G instead of LTE which could make a difference.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Sounds like flashing was the big difference in your case. I'm planning on doing this when I have some free time. I don't get the impression that this is due to a faulty battery. Not quite ready to go there yet.

Thanks for the info though. It's good to have some comparisons. I also noticed your browsing on 3G instead of LTE which could make a difference.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to flash your phone to get good battery life. You should get it out of the box.

abunai

I can't argue with that.

It's annoying that it is required, but it's nice that you have the option to do it. Half and half. Custom kernels can only get better from here, too. I was under the impression 3G power consumption was worse due to the modem staying active more with lower speeds to complete xyz downloads. Maybe I'm wrong, there's no real LTE here so I've not really looked into it.

JaseMath

Zero battery issues for me. I text throughout the day, do a minimal-to-medium amont of browsing, use the GPS (for traffic), maybe make a few short phone calls, and play music in my car. I take it off the charger around 8:00am and it makes it through the day with about 30-20% to spare when I put it back on around 11:00pm.

Zero battery issues for me. I text all day, do a minimal-to-medium amont of browsing, use the GPS (for traffic), maybe make a few short phone calls, and play music in my car. I take it off the charger around 8:00am and it makes it through the day with about 30-25% to spare when I put it back on around 11:00pm.

I'm getting better battery than you and I'm concerned about mine. lol.

6:30am to 11:00pm with about 60% by the end of the day. I don't do Music in the car or GPS though.

Only reason I'm concerned about having more battery life is for emergency situations when I may be away from a charger overnight.

Zero battery issues for me. I text all day, do a minimal-to-medium amont of browsing, use the GPS (for traffic), maybe make a few short phone calls, and play music in my car. I take it off the charger around 8:00am and it makes it through the day with about 30-25% to spare when I put it back on around 11:00pm.

What kind of hit are you taking from the GPS? Since giving it to the wife, I've been checking her battery stats. By night time, like 9 to 10pm her battery is about 50%, but most of that hit is from the GPS and Waze. I can clearly see the graph a nice gradual decline, but then a steep decline during her drive to and from work. About 20% each way and Waze is listed as 73% of usage.

JaseMath

6:30am to 11:00pm with about 60% by the end of the day. I don't do Music in the car though.

Only reason I'm concerned about having more battery life is for emergency situations when I may be away from a charger overnight.

What kind of hit are you taking from the GPS? Since giving it to the wife, I've been checking her battery stats. By night time, like 9 to 10pm her battery is about 50%, but most of that hit is from the GPS and Waze. I can clearly see the graph a nice gradual decline, but then a steep decline during her drive to and from work. About 20% each way and Waze is listed as 73% of usage.

I generally use the GPS via INRIX for traffic updates so I don't really use it for nav. I haven't checked how big of a hit it's taking on the battery, but I'll check tonight and report back. For what it's worth, most of my battery drain seems to come from streaming Spotify over 4G.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

6:30am to 11:00pm with about 60% by the end of the day. I don't do Music in the car or GPS though.

I'm with Faceless, I think that's pretty good battery life for a smartphone. Only smartphones that might do noticeably better are the Note 2 and the Razr Maxx.

kitch9

Banned

Power Saver is on.

LOL, what do you expect from a smartphone with the LTE radio on?

Top Bottom