• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

After just over a week I'm still not that happy with the battery.

From a full day of use I got from 100% to around 60% (6:30am to about 11:00pm). In that time I received one phone call, sent about ten-fifteen texts and did minimal browsing. No gaming, video or music playback in that time.

I have power cycled the phone once (last weekend) and I'm using several battery apps to keep track of what is going on with the phone.

The biggest culprit I can think of that some people have mentioned around here is that I am not getting full bars on LTE. Sometimes just one or two in Toronto. My commute also takes me on the subway.

Power Saver is on.

The next step which has already been suggested by a few on here is to root and see what I can do from there. Just haven't had the chance yet.

I'd download a wakelock detector it doesn't sound you used your phone hardly at all

I'd download a wakelock detector it doesn't sound you used your phone hardly at all

I have one downloaded but I haven't been able to do anything with it that makes much of a difference.

If I'm planning to root I obviously need to back the phone up. What is the best backup solution I can use so that restoring my phone will be painless (ie: no issues with linked contacts or stored phone numbers/texts)?

Maxim726X

I'm with Faceless, I think that's pretty good battery life for a smartphone. Only smartphones that might do noticeably better are the Note 2 and the Razr Maxx.

I have the Maxx right now and honestly the battery life is one of the reasons I may not leave it for a while... How does the One compare? Are there any comparisons specifically of these two models?

abunai

I have one downloaded but I haven't been able to do anything with it that makes much of a difference.

If I'm planning to root I obviously need to back the phone up. What is the best backup solution I can use so that restoring my phone will be painless (ie: no issues with linked contacts or stored phone numbers/texts)?

Helium is a neat backup app. Don't think it backs up contacts - unsure because all my contacts are in my google account so i've never needed to worry.

reKon

Banned
Zero battery issues for me. I text throughout the day, do a minimal-to-medium amont of browsing, use the GPS (for traffic), maybe make a few short phone calls, and play music in my car. I take it off the charger around 8:00am and it makes it through the day with about 30-20% to spare when I put it back on around 11:00pm.

you should be ending the day with much more battery than that with that kind of usage, which means you must be in places with a bad signal.

JaseMath

you should be ending the day with much more battery than that with that kind of usage, which means you must be in places with a bad signal.

I live in Denver and my signal is great. Like I said though, I am texting and checking my emails throughout the day, so I'm not sure my phone is going to sleep as often as a regular users. Over the weekend (when my phone gets less use), I didn't charge my phone at all.

markot

Banned
I dont think its a huge power drain anymore. It was on earlier phones. But I think it zapps a few more joules then your 3gs.

By 5ish today, my battery was down to 15%. Sent three texts and did not browse once. I have bluetooth off, LTE, power save, brightness is at about 40%. It could be notifications for my apps( email, facebook, ebay). Location is off

You do know that if you set everything you have to sync every minute you will kill your battery no matter what phone you have? Be reasonable with your sync settings.

bpfd

I'm still at 23% power and haven't charged my phone since Wednesday at 5 am. Cant believe others are having problems with battery life. My old epic 4g would have been dead a long time ago.

Jedi2016

Got mine on order, straight from AT&T in black, should be here on Monday. And two months before my upgrade date to boot (not sure if I'll get away with that again in the future). Already got a case for it, and a co-worker who knows all the ins and outs of rooting and ROMing, so he can point me in the direction of the good ones. Can't wait. :)

RoKKeR

So, I'm looking at the black One ATT just released....

I mean, the silver looks nice but the black looks really good. I'd probably be able to switch it out as I just got this on Wednesday. Probably too much hassle though.

i want this...

but sgs 4 has stuff like...a pedometer!

i saw a face off between this, sgs4, iphone 5, and xperia z, this pretty clearly had the best screen. maybe equal in quality to the iphone but much bigger. slightly clearly better than the sgs4 and much better than the washed out xperia z...here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_caxaU7ikc

and the speakers is a cool idea too, and the metal body, and i'm tired of sammy phones, and and...

otoh the good thing about owning a galaxy is they're so mainstream you know apps, bluetooth devices etc will be sure to work with them...

anyways it's moot point, my upgrade isn't for like a year.

and if i ever get on one of those prepaid plans, i'll probably be stuck with a nexus phone forever since theyre the only reasonably priced non subsidized phone in the world. which wouldn't be bad, nexus 4 is cool i got one for my dad.

Volotaire

i want this...

but sgs 4 has stuff like...a pedometer!

i saw a face off between this, sgs4, iphone 5, and xperia z, this pretty clearly had the best screen. maybe equal in quality to the iphone but much bigger. slightly clearly better than the sgs4 and much better than the washed out xperia z...

and the speakers is a cool idea too, and the metal body, and i'm tired of sammy phones, and and...

otoh the good thing about owning a galaxy is they're so mainstream you know apps, bluetooth devices etc will be sure to work with them...

anyways it's moot point, my upgrade isn't for like a year.

and if i ever get on one of those prepaid plans, i'll probably be stuck with a nexus phone forever since theyre the only reasonably priced non subsidized phone in the world. which wouldn't be bad, nexus 4 is cool i got one for my dad.

What do you mean apps are sure to work on them.They're all Android devices? HTC is still a part of the ecosystem.

EDIT: ah you said it's a moot point.

What do you mean apps are sure to work on them.They're all Android devices? HTC is still a part of the ecosystem.

EDIT: ah you said it's a moot point.

some apps i see have compatibility issues with some phones.

if you have a galaxy phone i figure you can count on it being supported cause billions own them...it's almost like being an iphone owner in terms of mainstream.

Volotaire

some apps i see have compatibility issues with some phones.

if you have a galaxy phone i figure you can count on it being supported cause billions own them...it's almost like being an iphone owner in terms of mainstream.

More of an issue to do with the version of Android they're running rather than the maker?

abunai

For syncing mail what do you guys have it set to? mine is set to smart sync but I have no idea what that even means...

Smart sync is just a battery saving mode really, it'll just check for emails when your device is also doing other things via data and not sync when in sleep mode. I have push for university exchange emails but gmail/other emails are on smart sync.

Does anyone have a problem connecting to bluetooth in their car? Every time I turn the car on I have to reconnect the phone.

No problems for me

Batman

Banned
Does the developer edition get updates over the air automatically? so if google releases the new android version HTC would update it right away?

I went into an AT&T store to test out both the galaxy s4 and the htc one. I think the displays are pretty similar but what sold me on the one was the sleek design and I like sense better than touch wiz. I opened up the notifications bar and was almost disoriented because it was so cluttered with notifications. Finally i am not a fan of whatever font they are using for the notifications.

Does anyone have a problem connecting to bluetooth in their car? Every time I turn the car on I have to reconnect the phone.

factory rest your stereo and delete your stereo from your phones bluetooth settings. Then pair everything back up together. That should fix any issues with reconnecting.

A question for those that have got this phone. Do you honestly think you'll be sticking with it for 2 years without much issues? I ask cause I know HTC has a history of not updating their phones in a timely manner as I can attest to with my Evo 3d. I hate 2 year contracts, they make me question everything. I keep getting tantalized by all of the amazing offers for this phone and cant help but think that once I get one they'll announce a new more amazing phone.

reKon

Banned
I went into an AT&T store to test out both the galaxy s4 and the htc one. I think the displays are pretty similar but what sold me on the one was the sleek design and I like sense better than touch wiz. I opened up the notifications bar and was almost disoriented because it was so cluttered with notifications. Finally i am not a fan of whatever font they are using for the notifications.

Lol some of the reasons you people have...

reKon

Banned
Well the experience is the most important thing of a phone. A lot of people won't root so it becomes priority in people's mind, and rightly so.

Notification toggles are what the HTC one lacks without downloading a widget. That control is one of the major advantages as opposed to iOS, unless you enjoy digging through menus to change a single setting.

Volotaire

Notification toggles are what the HTC one lacks without downloading a widget. That control is one of the major advantages as opposed to iOS, unless you enjoy digging through menus to change a single setting.

Not arguing on any features or supporting any phone, just saying experience is important. Some will like the S4, some will like HTC , some Windows Phone and some iOS. Having never had a smartphone how can I?

Lol some of the reasons you people have...
What are you talking about? UI and UX are completely valid "reasons" to like one phone or the other. I absolutely hate what Samsung has done with their skin. It's ugly, clunky, and frankly it belongs in 2004. From what I've seen on the One, the interface is smooth and modern. The S4 reeks of gimmicks to me, and the plastic body is just as bad as the horrid "features" thrown in.

reKon

Banned
What are you talking about? UI and UX are completely valid "reasons" to like one phone or the other. I absolutely hate what Samsung has done with their skin. It's ugly, clunky, and frankly it belongs in 2004. From what I've seen on the One, the interface is smooth and modern. The S4 reeks of gimmicks to me, and the plastic body is just as bad as the horrid "features" thrown in.

My goodness... I agree that touchwiz is ugly, all this gimmick talk is quite frankly bullshit. You won't use every feature and some could be developed more, but nearly all of them have some useful application and Samsung shouldn't be ragged on for pushing this. Imo, the GS4 felt better to hold than my One which surprised me a lot (and both felt better to hold naked compared to my galaxy nexus)

factory rest your stereo and delete your stereo from your phones bluetooth settings. Then pair everything back up together. That should fix any issues with reconnecting.

A question for those that have got this phone. Do you honestly think you'll be sticking with it for 2 years without much issues? I ask cause I know HTC has a history of not updating their phones in a timely manner as I can attest to with my Evo 3d. I hate 2 year contracts, they make me question everything. I keep getting tantalized by all of the amazing offers for this phone and cant help but think that once I get one they'll announce a new more amazing phone.
That's the great thing about T-Mobile USA now, no annual contracts! Pay oft toddy phone and upgrade anytime

RoKKeR

I wish custom launchers had Blinkfeed, I've really come to enjoy it. But then again, the customization of Apex is great. I'm switching off between the two right now.

Absolutely loving the phone, just need to decide whether or not to switch the silver out for black.

The reason I got rid of both Apex and Nova is that by default Sense 5 has a see-through notification bar at the top to see your wallpaper, and with a launcher its a black bar and makes the screen look smaller.

I'd love to play around with launchers some more if I can replaicate that.

Just about to buy my first smartphone. HTC is sold out over here ( Netherlands ) but I got a chance to play with it in a store. No pun intended, but the S4 next to it, impressed me with its bright screen. I've read a lot of reviews but all say that the HTC screen in brighter. Me myself thought the S4 looked more vibrant and bright though. How could this be possible? I really want an HTC because of the awesome looks,Zoe seems great and maybe it's a better phone for me as it will be my first smartphone ( HTC seems easier to use ) , but now I just don't know what to get because of the screen. Any thoughts on this?

Top Bottom