• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Just about to buy my first smartphone. HTC is sold out over here ( Netherlands ) but I got a chance to play with it in a store. No pun intended, but the S4 next to it, impressed me with its bright screen. I've read a lot of reviews but all say that the HTC screen in brighter. Me myself thought the S4 looked more vibrant and bright though. How could this be possible? I really want an HTC because of the awesome looks,Zoe seems great and maybe it's a better phone for me as it will be my first smartphone ( HTC seems easier to use ) , but now I just don't know what to get because of the screen. Any thoughts on this?

I agree actually. The screen on the S4 does look brighter than my One on full brightness. I even spent a good portion of yesterday finding a high quality S4 background for the One to directly compare and it's still a bit brighter.

Brightness isn't everything though, remember this. In a store a nice bright screen looks great, but it most lighting conditions a screen that bright will burn your eyes out.

I agree actually. The screen on the S4 does look brighter than my One on full brightness. I even spent a good portion of yesterday finding a high quality S4 background for the One to directly compare and it's still a bit brighter.

Brightness isn't everything though, remember this. In a store a nice bright screen looks great, but it most lighting conditions a screen that bright will burn your eyes out.

Thanks! Still wonder how that's possible. When I look at the reviews, they all seems to say the HTC has more nits, so it's brighter and it's better visible in sunlight. In the store, the HTC screen looked kinda dull and washed out ( the homescreen is somewhat dark ). It would be nice to see a direct comparison of the HTC one and S4 with the same background.

Achtius

Those Zoe picture takes so much space..

also I wish you can rotate video in htc one... My friend just took a stupid video in portrait mode..WHY.

Ok, you probably remember from my battery concerns yesterday.

Anyways, I still haven't had time to post any screenshots and I'm just on my way out but I've had this thing off battery since 6:30 am yesterday and it's still going (at 3% now). That's just about 36 hours without a charge.

I left it overnight with power saver off and no charging so I could completely drain the battery before I charged but it only went down about 7%. It was at about 27% when I woke up at around 8:30.

This isn't as bad as I thought. I've had about one 15 minute telephone conversation today and done a bit of texting. Not heavy use but it's doing just fine. I'm still going to root to see what else I can get out of it.

After going back and forth between the S4 and One, I bit the bullet and got the One.

AT&T gave me $118 for my iPhone 4 which really sweetened the deal.

Been an iPhone user since the original so it's quite the change in both hardware and software, but I am loving it so far.

After going back and forth between the S4 and One, I bit the bullet and got the One.

AT&T gave me $118 for my iPhone 4 which really sweetened the deal.

Been an iPhone user since the original so it's quite the change in both hardware and software, but I am loving it so far.

Nice congrats! I got 140 for my gnex just didn't feel like taking the time to sell it on eBay or something

How easy/safe is it to root this? I've jailbroken my iPhone from iOS 4 up to 6 and it was easy enough, but it seems somewhat more daunting to root an Android device.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's the great thing about T-Mobile USA now, no annual contracts! Pay oft toddy phone and upgrade anytime

My gosh, was it swiftkey that mangled this post?

Also, I don't see the t mobile advantage. On the other carriers, you don't have to wait two years, you can upgrade at full price any time you want. Two years gets you a deep subsidy. What is the upside to t mobile? That you can pay the full cost in installments?

My gosh, was it swiftkey that mangled this post?

Also, I don't see the t mobile advantage. On the other carriers, you don't have to wait two years, you can upgrade at full price any time you want. Two years gets you a deep subsidy. What is the upside to t mobile? That you can pay the full cost in installments?

i was actually using the stock Samsung keyboard, been trying it again all week..

nib95

Banned
Hearing HTC owners talk about how all the S4s software features are gimmicks is quite sad. It's anti innovation, regressive rubbish that thus far in the past has only been adopted by iPhone fans (for obvious reasons).

Essentially it's the kind of attitude that green lights software laziness. I for one am glad Samsung continues to innovate on this front, I've had enough of the treat consumers like technically inept children and over simplify everything a la iOS attitude. I'm confident that of every 10 new features Samsung introduce, there'll be at least 3-4 useful ones. Drama shot, direct call, wave to answer in loudspeaker, beauty shot, gif capture, dual camera video and still shooting, global translator, sound adapt, air preview in videos, split screen multi tasking, group play, wifi direct and s beam transfers etc etc. These are all genuinely useful features that I have used in the past or even routinely use.

If the features aren't your cup of tea, that's fine, but don't blindly refer to them as gimmicks, especially if many people find them useful, and even more so if you've never even used or experienced them.

On a side note, you may prefer the HTC One's screen on preference, but scientifically the S4s screen tops it, at least when it comes to accuracy of colours, contrast and black levels. In movie mode the S4s screen is closer to the 6500k standard (among the closest of any phone out there), the Ones screen by contrast is several notches too cool. Add to that the S4s screen has near perfect black levels and contrast, along with better viewing angles. The One is slightly brighter and the smaller screen might help make non 1080p media (eg non 1080p Gta III) look better, but otherwise the S4's screen size could be seen as another advantage seeing as how physically the phones are roughly the same size. The PPI differences are pointless since you can't see the pixels on either, not without a magnifying glass anyway.

reKon

Banned
Hearing HTC owners talk about how all the S4s software features as gimmicks is quite sad. It's anti innovation, regressive rubbish that thus far in the past has only been adopted by iPhone fans (for obvious reasons).

Essentially it's the kind of attitude that green lights software laziness. I for one am glad Samsung continues to innovate on this front, I've had enough of the treat consumers like technically inept children and over simplify everything a la iOS attitude. I'm confident that of every 10 new features Samsung introduce, there'll be at least 3-4 useful ones. Drama shot, direct call, wave to answer in loudspeaker, beauty shot, gif capture, dual camera video and still shooting, global translator, sound adapt, air preview in videos, split screen multi tasking, group play, wifi direct and s beam transfers etc etc. These are all genuinely useful features that I have used or even routinely use.

If the features aren't your cup of tea, that's fine, but don't blindly refer to them as gimmicks, especially if many people find them useful, and even more so if you've never even used or experienced them.

On a side note, you may prefer the HTC One's screen on preference, but scientifically the S4s screen tops it, at least when it comes to accuracy of colours, contrast and black levels. In movie mode the S4s screen is closer to the 6500k standard (among the closest of any phone out there), the Ones screen by contrast is several notches too cool. Add to that the S4s screen has near perfect black levels and contrast, along with better viewing angles. The One is slightly brighter and the smaller screen might help make non 1080p media (eg non 1080p Gta III) look better, but otherwise the S4's screen size could be seen as another advantage seeing as how physically the phones are roughly the same size.

lol, let it go. I agree with you on many points, but there's no point repeating yourself because some people will be stubborn about things they like and really don't care about the extra features. Even my friend who has the S3 and really likes it says that he would not use those features on the S4 much (not saying I agree). At least the people here made the wise choice and picked a phone better than the iPhone.

Hearing HTC owners talk about how all the S4s software features are gimmicks is quite sad. It's anti innovation, regressive rubbish that thus far in the past has only been adopted by iPhone fans (for obvious reasons).

Essentially it's the kind of attitude that green lights software laziness. I for one am glad Samsung continues to innovate on this front, I've had enough of the treat consumers like technically inept children and over simplify everything a la iOS attitude. I'm confident that of every 10 new features Samsung introduce, there'll be at least 3-4 useful ones. Drama shot, direct call, wave to answer in loudspeaker, beauty shot, gif capture, dual camera video and still shooting, global translator, sound adapt, air preview in videos, split screen multi tasking, group play, wifi direct and s beam transfers etc etc. These are all genuinely useful features that I have used in the past or even routinely use.

On a side note, you may prefer the HTC One's screen on preference, but scientifically the S4s screen tops it, at least when it comes to accuracy of colours, contrast and black levels. In movie mode the S4s screen is closer to the 6500k standard (among the closest of any phone out there), the Ones screen by contrast is several notches too cool. Add to that the S4s screen has near perfect black levels and contrast, along with better viewing angles. The One is slightly brighter and the smaller screen might help make non 1080p media (eg non 1080p Gta III) look better, but otherwise the S4's screen size could be seen as another advantage seeing as how physically the phones are roughly the same size. The PPI differences are pointless since you can't see the pixels on either, not without a magnifying glass anyway.

I haven't really spoken out on this, but let's be realistic here, what Samsung is doing is mostly gimmicks. Now I appreciate their effort, and think it's great that they are trying things, but from my view, it seems like they're trying so many things that they're just throwing them all out there to see what sticks rather than thinking things through. So some things work, some are kinda interesting, and a lot of them come off as a gimmick. You can appreciate the effort, but not like the end result.

I haven't really spoken out on this, but let's be realistic here, what Samsung is doing is mostly gimmicks. Now I appreciate their effort, and think it's great that they are trying things, but from my view, it seems like they're trying so many things that they're just throwing them all out there to see what sticks rather than thinking things through. So some things work, some are kinda interesting, and a lot of them come off as a gimmick. You can appreciate the effort, but not like the end result.
Amen.

"... This feature is neat, check it out.. And we also have this other feature... And here are ten more you'll never use. And here's the kitchen sink!"

For my personal use, the HTC One does all I need.

nib95

Banned

Not every feature is going to be useful to every person. Just because you don't like Zoe or Flip board doesn't make both those features gimmicks, HTC owners need to appreciate this. Samsung aren't just randomly throwing out gimmicks, they're clearly putting a lot of time and effort in to coming up with features they think will make people's lives easier, more efficient or more simple, and in many cases this is absolutely the case.

Samsung will create a feature not because people will actually use it but because it will look good in a commercial. We all know that. They create some good cool stuff too but when you throw that much stuff at the wall some is bound to stick.

While I don't disagree with you, I basically got accused of being a shill in the S4 thread for sticking up for the phone I liked in the other thread by calling out a guy who posted some ridiculous comment in the other thread and he didn't like it. I think it may fall on deaf ears posting about the S4 in here.

Not every feature is going to be useful to every person. Just because you don't like Zoe or Flip board doesn't make both those features gimmicks, HTC owners need to appreciate this. Samsung aren't just randomly throwing out gimmicks, they're clearly putting a lot of time and effort in to coming up with features they think will make people's lives easier, more efficient or more simple, and in many cases this is absolutely the case.
Time and effort does not translate into quality. You can spend 50 years making a Lamborghini replica out of cardboard and duct tape, but at the end if it all, guess what you have on your hands?

Like I said... To me, personally, in my personal opinion, IMO, etc... Those features thrown in by Samsung are, for the most part, gimmicks. I'm just thankful you can disable most of them, (right?).

nib95

Banned
Samsung will create a feature not because people will actually use it but because it will look good in a commercial. We all know that. They create some good cool stuff too but when you throw that much stuff at the wall some is bound to stick.

This is obtuse imo. They pay people millions to do market research on what will work, sell, be useful etc. A feature will only look good in a commercial and sell the device if people see value proposition or use in that feature, otherwise it's a waste of marketing millions. I guarantee you they're not just throwing random stuff in and instead have teams brainstorming, researching and developing only the stuff they think will be useful to certain people, not the stuff that just 'looks good'.

I don't have use for the fitness app so even if I see it in a commercial it's not winning me any favour or going to make me want to buy the S4. To a health conscious user? Probably a completely different story.

Roybr

Where is the best place to buy one in Orlando? My mom is going there later this month. (Im from brazil)

Unlocked preferentially.

Thanks in advance!

Time and effort does not translate into quality. You can spend 50 years making a Lamborghini replica out of cardboard and duct tape, but at the end if it all, guess what you have on your hands?

Like I said... To me, personally, in my personal opinion, IMO, etc... Those features thrown in by Samsung are, for the most part, gimmicks. I'm just thankful you can disable most of them, (right?).

Most are actually disabled by default.

If I was to aim any criticism at Samsung for all their software features, it would be that they take up way too much room on the phone for a 16gb, when the One is offering twice the space for less.

Then again, the S4 has an SD card slot.

Android infighting?

Not on an Apple.

Apple.ca

lol

guise.

They're both great phones. Everyone gets defensive about the expensive investment they've just made. I get that. But I think after weighing both of their pros and cons you're going to find two very evenly matched phones.

Different features for different folks.

All that said. I love my one. Especially after getting over the battery issue. I do wish it had an SD card slot though. :/

zedge

LOL, Android now has OEM fanboys. sigh

I think both phones are great, you can't go wrong with either. I really like Samsung, using my S3 now, (920 in for repair), but I would get an HTC one if I was buying a new phone right now.

.GqueB.

Banned
Tried this and the s4 today fucking finally. Gotta say I prefer the one for some reason. Less sluggish overall. Could be the way they had the phone set up at the store? Not sure. Still hoping Verizon gets this phone somehow.

This is obtuse imo. They pay people millions to do market research on what will work, sell, be useful etc. A feature will only look good in a commercial and sell the device if people see value proposition or use in that feature, otherwise it's a waste of marketing millions. I guarantee you they're not just throwing random stuff in and instead have teams brainstorming, researching and developing only the stuff they think will be useful to certain people, not the stuff that just 'looks good'.

I don't have use for the fitness app so even if I see it in a commercial it's not winning me any favour or going to make me want to buy the S4. To a health conscious user? Probably a completely different story.
if they paid people millions of dollars to come up with this, then lord help us all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apbFySn4oEU

they're just gimmicks dawg. BOOMSOUND, ULTRAPIXEL, BLINKFEED, those are the real innovations!

LOL, Android now has OEM fanboys. sigh

I think both phones are great, you can't go wrong with either. I really like Samsung, using my S3 now, (920 in for repair), but I would get an HTC one if I was buying a new phone right now.

even the fans are copying Apple.

if they paid people millions of dollars to come up with this, then lord help us all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apbFySn4oEU
what's funny about this is last summer my sister wanted to do something JUST LIKE THAT and she was searching the app store to find an app that did it, but none of the apps that claimed to do it actually played the music in sync.

they're just gimmicks dawg. BOOMSOUND, ULTRAPIXEL, BLINKFEED, those are the real innovations!

The line between a gimmick and a useful feature lies in the usefulness to that particular user. There is no gold standard definition for what a gimmick is. Just a bunch of opinions about what people think is useful.

I never said any one feature would be universal and that even with some of the gimmicks that someone won't find it useful. I think they put a lot of time on developing a lot of different things but that doesn't mean they spent the time wisely. I think they've developed a lot of stuff to try and differentiate themselves, but that doesn't mean they did so in a thoughtful way. That said, I never said the gimmicks kept me away from the S4. They just were more throwing a lot of stuff against the wall to see what sticks rather than compelling differentiation features.

Lots of companies pay people millions of dollars to figure things out and most companies get it wrong. Heck, you'd be amazed at how much money is being burned daily on stupid things at large companies; things that people think are great ideas. I've witnessed this several times first hand and it just blew me away. Plenty of stuff you don't ever hear about. Plus a lot of the times it's about selling the product. Stuff sounds great on paper, but doesn't work out in execution. They sell you on the dream, not the reality. It wouldn't be the first time a feature was pushed and sounded great, but then nobody used it. We all remember Siri.

Let's be clear here, boomsound and ultrapixel are buzz words, not gimmicks. There's an actual real thing behind those buzzwords though. Blinkfeed could qualify as a gimmick though. Let's also be clear that just because people are blasting at the millions of different things Samsung threw in there as gimmicks doesn't mean HTC doesn't have their own marketing and gimmick material. The S4 isn't a bad phone because of gimmicks; it's a great phone. It's just a lot of those extras that it has are gimmicks.

reKon

Banned
Sense 5 isn't bad, but I'm go back to Nova Launcher and see if I do truly need my gestures (stuff like swipe up the apps drawer icon to open up Maps)

Screenshot_2013-05-11-23-08-28.png

Volotaire

User experience is different for everyone and is key to a phone. That is all.

Some of those S4 features look great! But some not so much. I actually do appreciate some of the software innovation, although a lot are apparently flawed.

Gotta go get working on the app asap and make millions.
i'm sure you won't be alone, i wouldn't be surprised if other people are working on it right now.

I don't get how this is better than playing it from one phone....
really?

User experience is different for everyone and is key to a phone. That is all.

Some of those S4 features look great! But some not so much. I actually do appreciate some of the software innovation, although a lot are apparently flawed.
nah, most work just fine.

I went clubbing and met a girl who has an s4...when I bust out my One for her to put her number in, she was like "wow what phone is this?...it's soo much nicer than mine....is it new?...it's so fancy"....lol ...+1 for the One....

taoofjord

Just picked this up and really liking it. It's my first android phone as I've had iPhones since they were first released. Some questions though:

- Is there a gesture to go to the homescreen from an app or do I have to press the home button? I really miss the pinch gesture from the iOS.

- Is there a gesture to switch between open apps or is my only option double clicking the home button?

- Can you configure the three finger swipe gesture? It seems that every time I swipe with three fingers (no matter the direction) it takes me to the media thing.

- Are launchers easy to use? Is it the equivalant of hacking into the phone? Will I have to re-install it after updating it?

- Any recommendations on where to get live wallpapers?

Why do pictures look really good as you're taking them but once you actually take the shot the quality of the picture doesn't look as good?

Is there a reason why the front camera looks fine as I'm taking a picture but once I take it it flips the image like a mirror?

Also what are the best settings (exposure, contrast, etc.) for the Camera for those of us without the update?

Thanks.

abunai

Just picked this up and really liking it. It's my first android phone as I've had iPhones since they were first released. Some questions though:

- Is there a gesture to go to the homescreen from an app or do I have to press the home button? I really miss the pinch gesture from the iOS.

- Is there a gesture to switch between open apps or is my only option double clicking the home button?

- Can you configure the three finger swipe gesture? It seems that every time I swipe with three fingers (no matter the direction) it takes me to the media thing.

- Are launchers easy to use? Is it the equivalant of hacking into the phone? Will I have to re-install it after updating it?

- Any recommendations on where to get live wallpapers?

1) Not particularly, I can only think of PIE controls which is not exactly the same thing as gestures.
2) Nope, but there are some apps you can install that have similar functionality (eg Swapps)
3) Don't think you can, no.
4) Launchers has nothing to do with hacking, it's just installing an app that replaces sense's launcher. You can change default applications for any number of things like launchers to customise your phone. It's an app, so it will have updates but you won't have to re-install anything after updating phone firmware, if that's what you mean.

Blackhead

Redarse

?What pinch gesture on iOS?

Anyway, you can try Trigger ($$) on Android.

Jedi2016

?What pinch gesture on iOS?
Makes me wonder if he was trolling to see how many of us would pick up our iPhones and try to pinch to close an app (hint: it doesn't work). Jailbroken iPhone maybe?

Speaking along the lines of "innovation", it still amazes me that it took any of the manufacturers this long to put front-facing speakers on their phones. That was a HUGE selling point for me with the HTC, regardless of how impressive any of the other phones' software was. HTC was the only one that actually changed up the hardware side of things.

I'm not going to badmouth the S4, but I will say this: Before either phone was announced, the S4 was at the top of my list, based on all the hype that had been going around for the last six or eight months, it was going to be the second coming of the smartphone. After the announcements, my interest shifted to the One. And, well... there it is.

My One will be here tomorrow. In black, just like I wanted. Already have a case for it.

Gestures on iPhone were in early iOS6 developer builds but got scrapped.

On iPad you can pinch closed with all fingers to return to home screen, four finger swipe up brings up recent apps bar.

Any type of gesture to bring up the app switcher in Jelly Bean would be welcomed. Holding the home button takes too long.

Top Bottom