• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Got the phone back, and doing a restore now. Hopefully everything restores back to the way it was. The wife said she loved the front speakers, but the phone is too big.

Dropbox finally got back to me again after I disagreed with their support reply the first time. They gave me the following steps which worked to get my 64GB Developer Edition to qualify for the 25GB promo offer. I figure someone else might have the same issue.

Remove your SIM card.

- Open the Dropbox app - Click Menu -> Settings -> Unlink Device from Dropbox
- Go to your phone's Device Settings
- "Tap on 'Apps' and then locate the Dropbox app
- Choose the option to Uninstall Updates
- Shut down your phone. Make sure your device is completely powered off for five minutes
- Power on your device
- Reopen the Dropbox app
- Reenter your Dropbox account details when prompted.

Man, it's been hard deciding..I said this before but I swear it is my last question before I order. :) haha can anyone with a black ipad mini tell me if the black HTC One has the same look and feel? Might be a dumb question, but it's hard to make a major electronics purchase when you can't even try it in person (black HTC One). I've been having difficulty trying to choose between silver and black. I usually prefer black, but I kinda wanted to try something different this time, and while I usually find silver/white to look tacky, the HTC One actually seems to pull it off very well.

Hey whats up guys? just ordered the phone from Spring yesterday, should be getting it tomorrow. Left Verizon after my contract finished, helps that I get a discount for Sprint from my school. Cant wait to get this badboy!

Finally made a decision and was about to buy a One. A friend om mine send me a link that there are problems with the One ( mostly gaps ). Does anyone of you have these problems? I read a few topics and now afraid that I'll receive a phone with gaps.

FinKL

Got the phone back, and doing a restore now. Hopefully everything restores back to the way it was. The wife said she loved the front speakers, but the phone is too big.

Yeah, it's just a tad bit too big. I'll still try to 1-hand things on the phone and for me to swipe to the top, I'll have to fan dangle my thumb to the top, but when I do that the phone auto-rotates. Frustrating. I know I can turn off auto rotate, but I don't want to keep doing that for every video I watch (usually always watch videos rotated in landscape.)

The Gap issue was definitely something a lot of nitpickers uproared about when it release, but I don't think it's that prominent. I've seen 3 HTC One's from T-Mobile, one had a spec of dust under the screen and gap issue. This was I assume a launch batch One, as the other 2 I have are just fine and came after the original launch batch.

datamage

Finally made a decision and was about to buy a One. A friend om mine send me a link that there are problems with the One ( mostly gaps ). Does anyone of you have these problems? I read a few topics and now afraid that I'll receive a phone with gaps.

Mine has a tiny gap alongside the top, unless you were specifically looking for it, it'd be hard to notice. Not sure how widespread the issue is.

I don't know....if I google there are topics everywhere, UK, Germany, Netherlands. Seems that many people are having problems. The phone is 699 euro's and that's still a lot of money.

Almost all phones have first batch issues...
With the s4 there also multiple issues that plague the device, like:
Screen smearing and ghosting
Poor audio with certain headphone
Overheating
Random reboot when accessing camera..
And so on.....

Saw this on my blinkfeed.

The Gap issue was definitely something a lot of nitpickers uproared about when it release, but I don't think it's that prominent. I've seen 3 HTC One's from T-Mobile, one had a spec of dust under the screen and gap issue. This was I assume a launch batch One, as the other 2 I have are just fine and came after the original launch batch.

Mine has a tiny gap alongside the top, unless you were specifically looking for it, it'd be hard to notice. Not sure how widespread the issue is.

Almost all phones have first batch issues...
With the s4 there also multiple issues that plague the device, like:
Screen smearing and ghosting
Poor audio with certain headphone
Overheating
Random reboot when accessing camera..
And so on.....

Saw this on my blinkfeed.

Well, when I look at the pics across the internet, the last thing I want is to clean my phone with a toothpic because there is dust between the gaps. Some post about gaps I've read are very recent, but maybe it's a first batch issue indeed. The Samsung issues ( shinshoryken ) don't seem hardware related ( mind you, I'm a newcomer to smartphones ) , they may be solved with a software update.

Damnit...really wanted this phone so bad :/ Gonna call my store tomorrow to hear if I can return a One when the gaps do bother me.

Well, when I look at the pics across the internet, the last thing I want is to clean my phone with a toothpic because there is dust between the gaps. Some post about gaps I've read are very recent, but maybe it's a first batch issue indeed. The Samsung issues ( shinshoryken ) don't seem hardware related ( mind you, I'm a newcomer to smartphones ) , they may be solved with a software update.

Damnit...really wanted this phone so bad :/ Gonna call my store tomorrow to hear if I can return a One when the gaps do bother me.

Nope..some of those issues are actually hardware related and can't be fix via firmware.

Googling a product issue isn't a great way to get an indication of how widespread issues are.

I saw them on my blinkfeed...which came from tech site like android central, pocketnow, etc.

Husker86

So HTC didn't go with a no gap between the digitizer and LCD? I had dust under screen on my old Hero which got annoying.

My cousin has the One and the screen looked just as "close" to the surface as iPhone and Nexus 4; I just assumed they went with a fused process.

Or is the dust something that is straight from the factory before fusing and cannot show up later down the line?

Timan

Developer
I'm either buying this phone or the galaxy s4 tomorrow, not sure which.

I had a few questions, anyone have this on AT&T know if you can tether (without changing your data plan) right out of the box? Or will I need to root/flash the phone?

Also how is the battery life really. Can I get through 1 day with heavy usage? Reviews I always find to be bs when it comes to that.

Husker86

I had a few questions, anyone have this on AT&T know if you can tether (without changing your data plan) right out of the box? Or will I need to root/flash the phone?

Also how is the battery life really. Can I get through 1 day with heavy usage? Reviews I always find to be bs when it comes to that.

You will not be able to tether for "free" on any AT&T phone without adding the tethering plan; root is the only option. Even then, AT&T seems to be tracking people who tether without a plan and warning them/enrolling them in the plan automatically, unless they have stopped that I'd watch your tether usage.

So HTC didn't go with a no gap between the digitizer and LCD? I had dust under screen on my old Hero which got annoying.

My cousin has the One and the screen looked just as "close" to the surface as iPhone and Nexus 4; I just assumed they went with a fused process.

Or is the dust something that is straight from the factory before fusing and cannot show up later down the line?

The most common "Gap issue" that been talked about is the micro mm gap on the top and bottom casing, which anantech review also pointed it out. The dust on the screen seem to be rare enough that is a non-issue.

I don't think any AT&T phone can tether right out of the box.

Battery life is been great and can handle 1 day of heavy usage(but it really depend on how the person uses it)

Its has one of the best battery life on an android device...that is not MAXX or Note.

Timan

Developer
Thanks for the fast replies, guess the next question. How foolproof is the htc one at rooting/flashing right now?

I'm basically using tethering two times, just think its dumb I'd have to pay 50$ for a plan then lose the unlimited 30$ plan I'm grandfathered in.

Can't wait to get this phone, looks so nice.

Thanks for the fast replies, guess the next question. How foolproof is the htc one at rooting/flashing right now?

I'm basically using tethering two times, just think its dumb I'd have to pay 50$ for a plan then lose the unlimited 30$ plan I'm grandfathered in.

Can't wait to get this phone, looks so nice.

What you mean foolproof?

rooting/flashing the One is no different than other android phone I had

Once you flash a recovery...its all the same step flashing a rom.

btrboyev

Still waiting on that latest patch from AT&T...my first android device and since it's not a Nexus, I'm sure I'm stuck on a patchless OS for weeks because carriers decide when to update?

Orayn

Is anyone currently running CyanogenMod or some other non-Sense custom ROM on their One right now? I was thinking about getting a One soon, since there's supposedly no high end Nexus phone being revealed at I/O this year, and I was wondering how far along the development scene was.

Yes, I am a tremendous whiner who doesn't like anything but stock Android.

zewone

Is anyone currently running CyanogenMod or some other non-Sense custom ROM on their One right now? I was thinking about getting a One soon, since there's supposedly no high end Nexus phone being revealed at I/O this year, and I was wondering how far along the development scene was.

It just received official CM10.1 nightlys. It's already a daily driver ROM. A stable release shouldn't be far from now.

Stock android is soo overrated... Especially that the hardware it comes with is so mediocre.

I haven't tried any non sense yet cause sense 5.0 is actually greats. Its very lean and modern, if you read reviews, most actually prefers it to stock.

If you still don't like sense 5..then slap in 3rd party launcher like Nova.

taoofjord

Anyone having issues with the spell check/auto-complete? It never chooses English words and I have English set as the System Language.

qKaC3K

I just picked up the HTC One and the only thing I don't like is that when it goes to sleep i have to press the power button again.
It would be nice if I could just swipe the screen or touch it to wake it up.

I guess there are apps for this but I'm wondering if anyone is using something similar or have any suggestions on this.

abunai

I just picked up the HTC One and the only thing I don't like is that when it goes to sleep i have to press the power button again.
It would be nice if I could just swipe the screen or touch it to wake it up.

I guess there are apps for this but I'm wondering if anyone is using something similar or have any suggestions on this.

There aren't apps that do what you're asking, you'll need a custom kernel to use sweep/touch2wake. That involves rooting and unlocking your bootloader. It is possible, though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wait...Rayman isn't compatible? Why?

Many aren't tbh. I downloaded jet set radio, predators, avengers (movie) and star trek (2009) on the same day and none work on my brand new $700 high end phone. Rayman you cant even look up in the store.,

This pissed me off because I paid for the game on my last phone, so I decided to sideload the APK and it works just fine.

No idea why the Play Store isn't allowing me to re-download it normally.

abuC

Have a little light leakage in the seam near the home button, it's noticeable at night not so much during the day, but annoying nonetheless.

Great just got my phone in the mail and there is a spec of dust under the screen. You can only see it when there is a white background, but ahhh. Also the power button isn't as springy as I thought it'd be...not sure if this is an issue. Now I have to think about exchanging. :/

Went to the AT&T store to ask them for an early upgrade. My date is June 1. They said no.

At least I got to look at the phone. I saw black and white. I'll probably go with black. The next two weeks are going to be painful. The phone is beautiful. Coming from a 4S, it doesn't even really compare.

Timan

Developer
Just got the phone, hardware quality is just a+... but why oh why... is there a sticker on the back of the device with all those useless numbers. Is it safe to peel this off? Hoping it doesn't leave any marks.

Top Bottom