• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

taoofjord

Makes me wonder if he was trolling to see how many of us would pick up our iPhones and try to pinch to close an app (hint: it doesn't work). Jailbroken iPhone maybe?

Trolling? Whoa, that's quite a leap you made there.

Although I believe I did mix that up. That's an iPad only feature. Recently I've been using my iPhone only as a phone (which is why I made the switch to an HTC one) so I forgot that the it didn't have the gestures the iPad does. I suppose the larger screen of the HTC One makes it feel sort of like a tablet to me.

I still have a long way util my contract is up (November), but as someone that doesn't follow the smartphone market too closely....how often are the new series of phones being released?

Do Sony / Samsung / HTC release annually?

I'm not sure if I should get a new phone as soon as my contract is up, or wait a few months until new stuff is out (on the basis that a new series will be out in April / May 2014).

I still have a long way util my contract is up (November), but as someone that doesn't follow the smartphone market too closely....how often are the new series of phones being released?

I'm not sure if I should get a new phone as soon as my contract is up, or wait a few months until new stuff is out (on the basis that a new series will be out in April / May 2014).

every 6 months there's a new wave.

Volotaire

6 months schedule.

They release their main flagships in spring and Nokia.

Samsung also releases their Note in the Autumn annually as well as the Nexus, along with iPhone and other Windows devices

Some of the phones may get smaller iterations, e.g. waterproofed, more storage, LTE support in the year so that's the only thing to worry about really.

Is there a reason why the uploaded picture quality on Instagram is so bad for Android? While selecting the pictures they look perfect but once they're uploaded they become low-res and pixelated.

I never had this problem on my iPhone 4S. As a matter of fact I sent a picture to my 4S taken on my HTC One then uploaded it from both phones to test it. The iPhone one was fine super high-res but the HTC One was once again pixelated and reduced in quality.

It's one of my most used apps and I've stopped uploading pictures because of this issue. It makes it seem as if I'm using a flip phone to take these pics.

Is there a reason why the uploaded picture quality on Instagram is so bad for Android? While selecting the pictures they look perfect but once they're uploaded they become low-res and pixelated.

I never had this problem on my iPhone 4S. As a matter of fact I sent a picture to my 4S taken on my HTC One then uploaded it from both phones to test it. The iPhone one was fine super high-res but the HTC One was once again pixelated and reduced in quality.

It's one of my most used apps and I've stopped uploading pictures because of this issue. It makes it seem as if I'm using a flip phone to take these pics.

I noticed something similar when I uploaded to imgur.
Video played does not work. Error 31. I'm starting to get why people lean towards apple now
What video are you trying to play?

Gila

Is there a way to make notifications show up on the lock screen when it's dark? Like currently it just makes a sound and has the flashing notification but the screen doesn't actually light up to show you a peak at what's being notified. Any way of changing this so it's like iOS?

Is there a way to make notifications show up on the lock screen when it's dark? Like currently it just makes a sound and has the flashing notification but the screen doesn't actually light up to show you a peak at what's being notified. Any way of changing this so it's like iOS?

This is customizable in Android. Other devices light up the screen briefly when something happens like a missed call or a text is received then go dark again.

Ugh, downloading a lot of wallpapers from Zedge but the crop area of what the phone allows me to use of the wallpaper is so small. Am I missing something here?

It should, what does it do? I was able to make it grow on an 18 megapixel image.

How do you see how big the image is? I can expand it up to a certain point and then I try expanding some more and it does this weird thing where it shrinks it back down to a tiny size. Damn this is pissing me off lol.

Yes, so how do I do it? I'm literally new to Android, excuse my lack of knowledge

The folks at XDA typically mod it in or out, depending on what is default on your device. My device has the screen light up by default and some modders made a mod to make it not do that. I'm sure the same (but opposite) will happen for you, just monitor the XDA forum for the One.

The short answer is No. This is one of, if not the, main thing I miss from iOS. The way they handled lockscreen notifications. Screen light up, see preview, swipe icon to go to app.

Even BiteSMS via Cydia lights up screen, shows preview, has a little X in the top right corner to acknowledge/close the message so you don't have to unlock the phone and go into the app to do that.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yes, so how do I do it? I'm literally new to Android, excuse my lack of knowledge

You should check out the Apps for Android thread

The folks at XDA typically mod it in or out, depending on what is default on your device. My device has the screen light up by default and some modders made a mod to make it not do that. I'm sure the same (but opposite) will happen for you, just monitor the XDA forum for the One.

The short answer is No. This is one of, if not the, main thing I miss from iOS. The way they handled lockscreen notifications. Screen light up, see preview, swipe icon to go to app.

Even BiteSMS via Cydia lights up screen, shows preview, has a little X in the top right corner to acknowledge/close the message so you don't have to unlock the phone and go into the app to do that.

You don't need a custom ROM for this. Just skimming my installed app list I have Nils Notifications Lock Screen and Lightflow that can turn on the screen for a notification:

jHA9YmV.png

2z8k5pN.png

I don't know if this is really what you're lookin for, but you could try Knock2

I use it and i'm in love with it

I can't get a lockscreen widget to stay on the main lockscreen. I have to unlock the phone, then swipe left to get to the widget.

But when I set the widget it says its on the home screen.

Hey all, I've never had a smart phone before and I'm looking to make the HTC One my first one ever.

Any tips/whatever I should know before I go ahead and get it possibly later tonight or tomorrow? Is the One pretty accessible to everyone? Is whatever version of Android it runs pretty stable?

I'm on Sprint, if that matters at all. Thanks for the input, y'all!

I'm cross-posting since you guys get more traffic.

I'm on Galaxy S4

My girlfriend is still not receiving my texts MMS nor SMS. I can receive her texts but she isn't getting mine. We can text and receive from other people fine.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is there anything equivelant to "Reset Network Settings" like iOS has?

We contacted AT&T and they said everything looks good on their end.

We could create backups through Samsung Kies and reformat the phones, but when we reload out backups won't the problem still exist?

I'm on Galaxy S4

My girlfriend is still not receiving my texts MMS nor SMS. I can receive her texts but she isn't getting mine. We can text and receive from other people fine.

We could create backups through Samsung Kies and reformat the phones, but when we reload out backups won't the problem still exist?

Maybe she accidently blocked you?

RoKKeR

Any ideas as to why the camera shots look worse than the preview you see when taking them? That's my biggest complaint right now.

FinKL

I'm on Galaxy S4

To me, that sounds like a carrier/network problem. Sometimes my gf's phone (EVO 4G traded for HTC One) will get no SMS/Calls for hours. I'm assuming she gets a queue of notifications that don't want to be delivered to her phone and restarting it doesn't do anything. She's learned that she needed to place a phone call and BAM all the texts/calls she misses appears at once, like there was some communication block and once she reestablished it with a call, it goes through. (This was Sprint)

I know I still have problems with Windows Phone users receiving Group Text MMS. They get a blank message. At least I'm "in" with the iPhone crowd lol.

So if I go through and root my phone, is there a way to return it to stock to avoid the whole warranty thing?

I haven't checked XDA for Rom developments, but as long as you download a root free clean/stock firmware and flash it, you should be ok. They usually post those roms for people in your situation. I was going to also say you could make a Nandroid backup before flashing anything, but you probably would have already rooted the rom which is not what you want.

abunai

So if I go through and root my phone, is there a way to return it to stock to avoid the whole warranty thing?

Since there is no known way to get s-off on the HTC one (which isn't required for rooting or unlocking the bootloader), you can't alter the bootloader status from tampered. That'll probably get flagged up in warranty situations if you're in America.

S-OFF would allow flashing of custom bootloaders/radios/etc, hypothetically this would allow one to switch carrier locks etc, but there is no development scene for these factors and probably never will be. You could relock the bootloader, but it will still say tampered due to s-on still being present.

However, it's a gamble. I've returned HTC phones with tampered bootloaders and they still repaired the device. I'd probably err on the side of caution though. If you aren't in Europe, you'll lose your warranty.

RoKKeR

I've figured out what I like with my lockscreen, but I'm stumped on what to do with my homescreen(s). What do you guys do for layouts? Do you keep most of your apps in the drawer? I'm still learning what you can do with Android's customization coming off of iOS.

I'm on Galaxy S4

You've probably already done this and it probably won't solve the problem but have you tried rebooting the phone? I had some odd network problems with mine when I first got it (I could make calls but could not access the internet when not on wifi) and a restart fixed it.

I'm on Galaxy S4

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but while in her text message hit the menu button and make sure it doesn't say "unmark as spam" if it does it means she's accidentally marked you as spam. Had 3 customers in the past two weeks come in with that issue.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but while in her text message hit the menu button and make sure it doesn't say "unmark as spam" if it does it means she's accidentally marked you as spam. Had 3 customers in the past two weeks come in with that issue.

This is what it was. I posted in the S4 thread.

most people will probably over look the front face camera which is actually good!

The wide angle makes it possible to have group shots, which is almost impossible for most front face cameras.

I may have been iver my head when buying this. I spent the extra money for the storage. The rest is a foreign language to me :(

its OK not a big deal...

to be able to get an OTA(over the air update) the phone has to be stock and bootloader locked.

so if you have a carrier version and you didn't unlock the bootloader, you will get the the OTA updates. However, you will need to wait till the carries pushes those update.

The misconception is that if you get the developers version you will get the OTA update directly from HTC....but the truth is that due to the bootloader being unlocked, it wont get OTA, but you will get the update thru RUU updates.

I know there are a ton of reviews and firsthand impressions out on the Internet, but I'm really curious to see what Gaffers think. Let's get some nice detailed impressions up in this bitch!

its OK not a big deal...

to be able to get an OTA(over the air update) the phone has to be stock and bootloader locked.

so if you have a carrier version and you didn't unlock the bootloader, you will get the the OTA updates. However, you will need to wait till the carries pushes those update.

The misconception is that if you get the developers version you will get the OTA update directly from HTC....but the truth is that due to the bootloader being unlocked, it wont get OTA, but you will get the update thru RUU updates.

Bleh, really? I thought the whole point of buying a dev version from HTC was that you could get the updates quicker OTA. So I have to constantly check to see of there are updates now?

Pimpwerx

Are any of you guys here in the US running using this phone with T-mobile? Impressions? Really need to save some money here

and thanks for all your help, shin.

Coverage with TMobile is one of those your mileage may vary things. I'm in Miami, but get feedback for your area on that end. I just started getting a weak LTE signal at my apartment a couple days ago. I'm downtown, so I assume TMo is rolling out their LTE network down here now. They usually start in downtown. I haven't actually been down near the arena to fully check out the speed, but on 3 bars here, I'm getting 10MB down and up. I haven't bothered comparing to regular 3G/4G, because I don't want to waste the bandwidth. TMobile is cheap and fast, and that's why I like it. I might do MetroPCS if they had phones I liked, but alas I'm staying with Tmo. PEACE.

RoKKeR

I know there are a ton of reviews and firsthand impressions out on the Internet, but I'm really curious to see what Gaffers think. Let's get some nice detailed impressions up in this bitch!

...the entire thread is about people who own the phone. Skim through the pages and you'll see that almost unanimously, we agree that the phone is great. I switched from iPhone 5 to the One and I'm really loving it.

Top Bottom