• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

I've had the phone since Saturday and love it. Coming from using an iPhone for the last 5 years, this thing is a welcomed breath of fresh air.

I have no gap or screen dust issues. Battery life has been great outside of the one day I streamed something for 4 hours on LTE and drained like 60% of my battery.

good news everyone Sprint Users

bmJSJTM.png

Hey all,

Got the HTC one yesterday (coming from a almost 3 year old iPhone 4). I used it yesterday until the battery died then left it charging for the night. Here are my impressions after slightly less than 24 hrs of ownership:

DEVICE
Very pleased with the hardware: The device itself is beautiful, well constructed and feels sturdy in your hands; no seams or defects in the device that I could spot. The screen looks gorgeous, no other word to describe it.

ABOUT ANDROID
Coming for iOS, it's taking me a bit to get used to the Android system (and I think the fact that the HTC one comes with 2 buttons instead of 3 may have something to do with that, too). As I expected, apps feel overall worse in quality than its iPhone counterparts but for most it's not too big of a difference. Picture gallery and Contact organizing seems a bit messy to me (again, being used to iOS).

BATTERY
This is my biggest grip with the phone so far. I've unplugged it from the charger at 9 in the morning and around 16h battery stands at just 19% (off charger time when checking: 7h 25m).
Use was not too intensive in my opinion: Pulse/Blinkfeed/Chrome with Spotify in the metro for 45 mins, average whatsapping time (we could say maybe 10-15 minutes if put together?), Spotify with the screen off while at work for maybe 40 minutes (no streaming), 10 minutes of Spotify using a pair of Bluetooth headsets (the rest of the time I was using regular cord headphones), and 5-10 minutes of Real Racing 3. I checked the Battery section in the settings and according to this the most of my battery was spent by "HTC Sense" (the OS, I presume?): roughly 20%.
With the same kind of use, I would still have around 55-60% of battery left in my iPhone 4...

Any tips on why this may be going on? As I've said I come from iOS and there I knew exactly where and how to disable all unnecessary location services and background processes, but here it's possible that I'm overlooking something. I tried to close all apps using the task manager when I was not using them. Google Now is on; the phone seems to have the latest firmware update installed (401.12 or something like this I believe?)

I'll keep using it today and tomorrow but if I don't see an improvement I may take it back to the store, since I find this quite worrying. Also, I don't really want to disable everything in order to get at least 12 hrs of battery time (it's a smatphone, what's the point of disabling everything??).

Thoughts?

Goldrush

Tried out the camera feature extensively while attending a wedding for a few days. Here's my thought. Note that Sprint did not update the camera yet.

Low light photo are good but still have a way to go. Better than any other phones and a lot of cheap point & shoot. However, it's still too "grainy" for actual print. In addition, the ZOE is absolutely useless here since it doesn't capture enough light during each shot.

On the other end, really bright shots give pictures a hazy shot. Not something I noticed on the phone, but apparent on a monitor.

Zoe is great and I was able to capture shots I otherwise wouldn't be able to. A bit surprised that the new Google+ doesn't recognize it as sequential shots though.

Hmm only on my second charge cycle, and my phone only lost 4 percent battery while sleeping last night for 6 hours. I've now lost 15 percent in the last hour of about 10 texts, web browsing, and I received a few emails. On one hand the 4 percent loss sounds awesome. I was on power saver. On the other hand 15 percent in one hour of use doesn't sound too hot.

what do you guys think? Wait a few more days for the battery to wear in?

Losing battery at a rate of a percent per 8 minutes including the 4 percent loss in 6 hours. :/ I've lost 2 percent while writing and editing this post alone. Haha

Is Chrome a battery hog? I just noticed it's already using 15 percent of my charge in the 10 hours my phone has been unplugged. I've only used it for the first time the last hour scrolling through neogaf..

zewone

Hmm only on my second charge cycle, and my phone only lost 4 percent battery while sleeping last night for 6 hours. I've now lost 15 percent in the last hour of about 10 texts, web browsing, and I received a few emails. On one hand the 4 percent loss sounds awesome. I was on power saver. On the other hand 15 percent in one hour of use doesn't sound too hot.

what do you guys think? Wait a few more days for the battery to wear in?

Losing battery at a rate of a percent per 8 minutes including the 4 percent loss in 6 hours. :/ I've lost 2 percent while writing and editing this post alone. Haha

Is Chrome a battery hog? I just noticed it's already using 15 percent of my charge in the 10 hours my phone has been unplugged. I've only used it for the first time the last hour scrolling through neogaf..
Chrome is a battery hog.

Mendrox

Many aren't tbh. I downloaded jet set radio, predators, avengers (movie) and star trek (2009) on the same day and none work on my brand new $700 high end phone. Rayman you cant even look up in the store.,

? Just watched Star Trek on my HTC One Yesterday from Google Store and play Rayman since last month - works like charme... i__i

Hey all,

Got the HTC one yesterday (coming from a almost 3 year old iPhone 4). I used it yesterday until the battery died then left it charging for the night. Here are my impressions after slightly less than 24 hrs of ownership:

DEVICE
Very pleased with the hardware: The device itself is beautiful, well constructed and feels sturdy in your hands; no seams or defects in the device that I could spot. The screen looks gorgeous, no other word to describe it.

ABOUT ANDROID
Coming for iOS, it's taking me a bit to get used to the Android system (and I think the fact that the HTC one comes with 2 buttons instead of 3 may have something to do with that, too). As I expected, apps feel overall worse in quality than its iPhone counterparts but for most it's not too big of a difference. Picture gallery and Contact organizing seems a bit messy to me (again, being used to iOS).

BATTERY
This is my biggest grip with the phone so far. I've unplugged it from the charger at 9 in the morning and around 16h battery stands at just 19% (off charger time when checking: 7h 25m).
Use was not too intensive in my opinion: Pulse/Blinkfeed/Chrome with Spotify in the metro for 45 mins, average whatsapping time (we could say maybe 10-15 minutes if put together?), Spotify with the screen off while at work for maybe 40 minutes (no streaming), 10 minutes of Spotify using a pair of Bluetooth headsets (the rest of the time I was using regular cord headphones), and 5-10 minutes of Real Racing 3. I checked the Battery section in the settings and according to this the most of my battery was spent by "HTC Sense" (the OS, I presume?): roughly 20%.
With the same kind of use, I would still have around 55-60% of battery left in my iPhone 4...

Any tips on why this may be going on? As I've said I come from iOS and there I knew exactly where and how to disable all unnecessary location services and background processes, but here it's possible that I'm overlooking something. I tried to close all apps using the task manager when I was not using them. Google Now is on; the phone seems to have the latest firmware update installed (401.12 or something like this I believe?)

I'll keep using it today and tomorrow but if I don't see an improvement I may take it back to the store, since I find this quite worrying. Also, I don't really want to disable everything in order to get at least 12 hrs of battery time (it's a smatphone, what's the point of disabling everything??).

Thoughts?

You know that the Battery needs to calibrate for 2-3 days right? That's normal. Use it heavy for a day or two and on the third day everything should be fine. Also you should watch what apps run constantly (like Sense, you can set it up that you have to manually update it... way better)

Just for you info on my battery usage:

Played Persona 3 Portable on PPSSPP on the train for 70 Minutes, listened to music for about 2 hours, surfed the web for 50 minutes, heavy whatsapp usage, heavy teamviewer usage over the day, took 11 pictures and one video, surfed the web for about 30 Minutes, played Rayman Jungle Run for 40 Minutes

Battery = 45%

Also activate energy saving modus... nothing really changes, but it saves a lot of battery.

Edit:

ALSO EVERYONE SHOULD USE THE STOCK BROWSER!

TwIsTeD

Really really enjoyed the HTC One but moved over to the S4 after 2 weeks....the only thing better about the s4 IMO is the camera and the eventual Nexus dump but hands down I still prefer the One and really miss BoomSound....Ultrapixel was probably not a good move for regular day to day images

VPhys

You will not be able to tether for "free" on any AT&T phone without adding the tethering plan; root is the only option. Even then, AT&T seems to be tracking people who tether without a plan and warning them/enrolling them in the plan automatically, unless they have stopped that I'd watch your tether usage.

Why, does AT&T block all the free tethering apps?

? Just watched Star Trek on my HTC One Yesterday from Google Store and play Rayman since last month - works like charme... i__i

You know that the Battery needs to calibrate for 2-3 days right? That's normal. Use it heavy for a day or two and on the third day everything should be fine. Also you should watch what apps run constantly (like Sense, you can set it up that you have to manually update it... way better)

Played Persona 3 Portable on PPSSPP on the train for 70 Minutes, listened to music for about 2 hours, surfed the web for 50 minutes, heavy whatsapp usage, heavy teamviewer usage over the day, took 11 pictures and one video, surfed the web for about 30 Minutes, played Rayman Jungle Run for 40 Minutes

Battery = 45%

Also activate energy saving modus... nothing really changes, but it saves a lot of battery.

Edit:

Glad to hear that, cause I'm starting to like the phone quite a bit. It's true what I read that you kinda start looking for excuses to pick up the phone :)

One question though, how to set up Sense to update manually? By Sense you mean Blinkfeed?

Thanks!!

Husker86

Why, does AT&T block all the free tethering apps?

Not sure, but not too long back they started switching people who tether by "other means" than the official way onto tethering plans. Or was this with jailbroken iPhones only?

I'm pretty sure that all carriers can tell if you're tethering, if they look closely at your account, AT&T was just one of the first to actually do something about it.

$$$$

However, if you're using an unlocked, OEM device, they can't tell the difference

Yes they can!

Unless you are using an ATT dumb phone plan.

If you have an ATT smartphone plan I would be carefull tethering huge amount of data, they can fine out and charge you ..plus if you have an unlimited plan they can take that away.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Why out of curiosity? I keep going back and forth between the two.

So the dev edition will work with tethering apps and AT&T can't tell?

Actually, ATT has the IMEI's of the Dev edition...it's listed as an 'HTC One' on your myAT&T account online

Yes they can!

Unless you are using an ATT dumb phone plan.

If you have an ATT smartphone plan I would be carefull tethering huge amount of data, they can fine out and charge you ..plus if you have an unlimited plan they can take that away.

Can't say I've had the same experience. Never been caught once. I guess ymmv

I'm praying that on the 22nd Verizon announces the One to their network.

I've had an iPhone since I gave up my original Droid X, and now this phone inspired me to come back (even though I'm wary of HTC's long-term quality, which in the past has been poor) and go Android again.

Mendrox

Glad to hear that, cause I'm starting to like the phone quite a bit. It's true what I read that you kinda start looking for excuses to pick up the phone :)

One question though, how to set up Sense to update manually? By Sense you mean Blinkfeed?

Thanks!!

Yes I mean blinkfeed you can scroll blinkfeed a little bit down, touch the dots on the right, settings and you can set it to update only by WLAN (updating it manually will do it by mobile then!). So keep using this phone - it's seriously the best and I had the Galaxy S4 for one week :/ The One is just so beautiful and strong.

Why out of curiosity? I keep going back and forth between the two.

The stock browser is way more optimised, faster, doesn't drain the battery as fast and is reliable. It's very good.

Yes I mean blinkfeed you can scroll blinkfeed a little bit down, touch the dots on the right, settings and you can set it to update only by WLAN (updating it manually will do it by mobile then!). So keep using this phone - it's seriously the best and I had the Galaxy S4 for one week :/ The One is just so beautiful and strong.

The stock browser is way more optimised, faster, doesn't drain the battery as fast and is reliable. It's very good.

My only issue with the stock browser is with switching tabs. All the animation makes it slow I wish I could swipe to switch like chrome

catmincer

I just played with a one in a store. It is beautiful! This is the only phone which made me get a Lumia 920. Xperia Z is meh and S4 is ugly and plastic.

Bergsy

Mine arrived finally.....................but I was out so will pick it up from the post office tomorrow.

Excite much!!?!?!?!

VoxPop

My only issue with the stock browser is with switching tabs. All the animation makes it slow I wish I could swipe to switch like chrome

Haha exactly my thoughts. Love the desktop view and easy flash toggles for the stock browser but the way tabbing is makes me use chrome and only switch whenever I need those options.

Just got this phone for a few days and I must says it lived up to all the hype and reviews, it is hand down the best phone i ever used. This phone is so smooth on Sense UI and I can't imagine how smooth it will be on CM10. The TV app on this phone is amazing, its easy to set up and use and I actually turn off some tv at my local gym. LOL. Simply put this is the best phone in term of design and performance that I ever used and yes I used to be an Iphone and Galaxy owner.

Pimpwerx

Play Music has been updated to Listen Now, I believe. I like the interface. They also have a free trial to their music service. That's all the Google Music Beta was for. It got us to fill their servers with all the music in the world, which they're gonna try and sell back to us. Clever, but not unexpected. I think the RIAA sued them to try and stop this. PEACE.

Thanks!!

Another thing to note is that your last device was only HSPA+

LTE devices tend to drain battery faster than HSPA devices, so that will be part of your battery life observations.

(Even the iphone 5 doesn't have battery life as good as the previous model due in part to LTE)

Glad you're liking the phone overall, though :)

I've had mine for a month now and I still look for excuses to pick it up.

Another thing to note is that your last device was only HSPA+

LTE devices tend to drain battery faster than HSPA devices, so that will be part of your battery life observations.

(Even the iphone 5 doesn't have battery life as good as the previous model due in part to LTE)

Glad you're liking the phone overall, though :)

I've had mine for a month now and I still look for excuses to pick it up.

Only that I don't really use LTE since it's not available in my country yet :( They're rolling out LTE beginning in June this year.

Anyone managed to get Hangouts to work? When I go to the play store it says installed, but when I tap on open it opens Google talk. I also can't find it in my app drawer.

Anyone managed to get Hangouts to work? When I go to the play store it says installed, but when I tap on open it opens Google talk. I also can't find it in my app drawer.

Mine updated this morning.

Its kinda stupid. Me and my friend tried the voip calling and while it rang on his end it didnt ring on mine. When I called it worked. Video and sound were pretty bad though.

Orca

It's a bit strange that my biggest concern after having the phone for a couple of weeks is that I still don't have a ringtone that I like.

Purexed

Banned

Battery = 45%

Edit:

How you get Rayman on your phone, I'm showing it as incompatible with my One from the Play Store. Did you root it?

Loomba

Is there any way to turn off vibration for incoming texts? It's always so loud that it makes me jump when I get one ha.

And is there a way to turn off the red blinking led when it has a low battery?

Nameless

Is there any way to turn off vibration for incoming texts? It's always so loud that it makes me jump when I get one ha.

And is there a way to turn off the red blinking led when it has a low battery?

Press the volume button. When the volume slider pops up tap the the icon to the left until it changes to the music note with a line through it--that's complete silence.

Sound settings for calls and texts seem to be linked so if you're trying to turn off sounds & vibrations for texts while keeping them active for calls I have no idea if that's even possible.

Top Bottom