• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

datamage

Is there any way to turn off vibration for incoming texts? It's always so loud that it makes me jump when I get one ha.

And is there a way to turn off the red blinking led when it has a low battery?

For the vibration- load the messages app, go into settings (3 dots in upper-right corner), and under Notifications uncheck Vibrate.

Fletcher

I've never really had a problem with my batter. Seems to be working great. I have an NewTrent pocket charger that is always in my bag, just in case. If you are having concerns about the batter I would suggest just picking one up.

Jedi2016

I'm getting two days out of my battery without really trying. Mind you, at the end of two days, it's gasping for breath and screaming at me to charge it. I think now that it's "settled" through a couple of full drain/charge cycles, I can get into a pattern of leaving it in power saver mode for most of the day, and turning it off whenever I'm sitting down for a "session" like lunch, where I dig through the news and the Chive and such. Bet I can get three days out of it, then. And that's stock ROM, it'll probably get to crazy levels once I get a new ROM on it.

Speaking of which, there's rumors that the One may be getting a "Nexus version" as well that runs stock Android without Sense. That means a fully-functional stock Android ROM will be available for the rest of us. Let the devs play with that for a couple weeks and I'll never need another ROM again.

Is there any way to turn off vibration for incoming texts? It's always so loud that it makes me jump when I get one ha.

And is there a way to turn off the red blinking led when it has a low battery?
I figured out today that the standard "notifications" doesn't apply to Messages, it has its own completely separate settings within the Messages app itself. So I got a text this morning that bleated out a completely different sound than what I had thought I had set it for. It also has separate options for vibration and such.

As for the flashing LED.. no way to change it, at least in stock ROM. I haven't loaded anything else yet, so I can't say for sure if the other ROMs will let you turn that off.

zewone

Just ordered my mom the black 32GB One from Amazon (they have it for $129 for upgrades) and a buddy of mine is going to pick one up today from hearing me rave about it.

I'm not sure how the phone is doing sales wise, but I'm hoping it's well enough. HTC deserves it.

I'm getting two days out of my battery without really trying. Mind you, at the end of two days, it's gasping for breath and screaming at me to charge it. I think now that it's "settled" through a couple of full drain/charge cycles, I can get into a pattern of leaving it in power saver mode for most of the day, and turning it off whenever I'm sitting down for a "session" like lunch, where I dig through the news and the Chive and such. Bet I can get three days out of it, then. And that's stock ROM, it'll probably get to crazy levels once I get a new ROM on it.

Speaking of which, there's rumors that the One may be getting a "Nexus version" as well that runs stock Android without Sense. That means a fully-functional stock Android ROM will be available for the rest of us. Let the devs play with that for a couple weeks and I'll never need another ROM again.

I figured out today that the standard "notifications" doesn't apply to Messages, it has its own completely separate settings within the Messages app itself. So I got a text this morning that bleated out a completely different sound than what I had thought I had set it for. It also has separate options for vibration and such.

As for the flashing LED.. no way to change it, at least in stock ROM. I haven't loaded anything else yet, so I can't say for sure if the other ROMs will let you turn that off.

How is this possible?! Haha. I was happy to have 20% battery left after 14 hours. Lot's of texting and calling throughout the day, minor internet use, and 10 minutes of maps.

Con_Smith

Banned
So I spent all night finally biting the bullet and unlocking/rooting/ and now in the process of roming my lovely lovely phone. One thing left is a fix for the signal I found but have now lost somewhere on the net. I read there was a way you could piggy back data from Verizon I believe to get more 4g coverage and would love if someone has the info. If not I can deal for the most part as I really have no major complaints from the phone outside of the low haptic feedback from the buttons and the super spotty coverage in my area.

Volotaire

So guys look at this. As well as the China model there is a new model for the HTC One in japan called the HTC J One.

Comes with support for expandable memory up to 64GB and dualSIM.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121126-htc-j-one-packs-in-microsd-card-support-leaves-us-wanting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gzvr4qUfhBY

The back of the phone looks slightly different as well.

it seems like the same model for China being produced for japan as well, so expect removable back cover as well.

catmincer

Okay, I am having problems with this phone. If I receive a call, it keeps going straight to the loud speaker. Is there a setting for this? I don't push the loud speaker icon and it's not highlighted either.

I apologize if someone has already mentioned this and has resolved it, but I'm having a strange problem with the phone when I have my earbuds plugged in.

If I bump the plug at all, something really random usually happens. There doesn't seem to be much method to the madness, but if I'm listening to music and bump it, the song might change, or pause, or the music app will get shut down altogether. Other times it will randomly start calling people.

It's pretty frustrating, because I pretty much have to hold the phone in my hands to make sure the plug doesn't get bumped any time I'm listening to music, which I use the phone for a lot.

HildyB

Got the latest update on my US unlocked. Have to say, other than the home and back button being more responsive, I don't notice any other differences. Camera is still blowing out pictures with light and noise. I was really hoping for the camera update to be included or better if it is there.

Got the latest update on my US unlocked. Have to say, other than the home and back button being more responsive, I don't notice any other differences. Camera is still blowing out pictures with light and noise. I was really hoping for the camera update to be included or better if it is there.

I haven't got the camera update yet and it's not doing what you're describing. You may have a faulty phone.

Bergsy

Well mine turned up. Loving it, no gaps, no camera problems, no popping sound and I'm getting good battery life, better that my Note 1.

Well atleast we got a phone that's might be the last of it's kind..

Well I hope it gets updated a few times. Speaking of which, since I'm new to Android, I'm a bit confused on what I need to do to get the update on the latest Dev Edition. My friend told me to install TWRP to do the backup I wanted to do but now I read I can't install OTA updates as a result. I've downloaded the update but I didn't bother trying to flash it in TWRP because of this.

Axiom

I really kind of hate how the Galaxy looks so I've been going back and forth between the Z and the One as my next phone.

Between Sony's update schedule, specs and flagship obfuscation and the HTC's purported design flaws, battery and turmoil internally it's like they want me to get an ugly phone in order to not regret my decision for the next two years.

Well I hope it gets updated a few times. Speaking of which, since I'm new to Android, I'm a bit confused on what I need to do to get the update on the latest Dev Edition. My friend told me to install TWRP to do the backup I wanted to do but now I read I can't install OTA updates as a result. I've downloaded the update but I didn't bother trying to flash it in TWRP because of this.

I think you can get the OTA update if the bootloader is still lock.
Not too sure now...I keep getting conflicted infos

it's obv gonna get updates, not like they're sinking rapidly. Some people just leaving, updates are pretty much all they have left to do now.

Joonytoon

I had the TWRP and had to flash the stock recovery before the OTA update would install itself.

VoxPop

People who want AOSP feel and look but with all the benefits of sense 5 should try out cleanRom dev version.

Im actually missing blinkfeed :(...lol

Yeah Blinkfeed is highly underrated. It's so much nicer than having a flipboard/feedly/etc widget to go through.

I wish I could have the flexibility of a launcher, Blinkfeed, and Zoe.

reKon

Banned
Unlocking the bootloader will require me to wipe my phone right? Can I just root first, back up some save data, then unlock the bootloader after?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So the new Xbox also being called One is kind of annoying, now I have to specify which One I'm talking about. The HTC One will always be the real One to me though.

It's a sad day gents

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4...ures-disastrous-first-and-production-problems

Makes me sad they can't succeed with something so wonderful. World is doomed if all they're stuck with for Android on decent hardware is the Galaxy line.

Tbh, I don't think Google will allow HTC to just disappear, HTC is too important for Android as a whole, I mean they did make the first ever Android smartphone, and the last thing Google needs is to be held ransom by Samsung because they hold all of the marketshare.

I think HTC will be fine.

And people shift companies all the time, a bunch of employees leaving isn't a cause for concern, massive layoffs, on the other hand, would be.

If this somehow ends up being the last of its kind I hope we see a Nexus version so everyone can benefit from the stock Android Rom.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So the new Xbox also being called One is kind of annoying, now I have to specify which One I'm talking about. The HTC One will always be the real One to me though.

Tbh, I don't think Google will allow HTC to just disappear, HTC is too important for Android as a whole, I mean they did make the first ever Android smartphone, and the last thing Google needs is to be held ransom by Samsung because they hold all of the marketshare.

I think HTC will be fine.

And people shift companies all the time, a bunch of employees leaving isn't a cause for concern, massive layoffs, on the other hand, would be.

I dunno, I want to believe, but when high-level employees are leaving quickly when an OEM is trying to turn itself around..can't be good. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the article suggests.

Wow, the new update for the Dev Edition seems to be more battery efficient, at least on standby. I left it overnight and the percentage didn't drop by the time I woke up in the morning. It used to drop a few percentages overnight.

Why would you guys be nervous, I can't tell if you're serious. The phone is out already. Literally all they're doing now is updating it and shit. It's their future devices that are a bit of a question mark depending on the success of the One. Not only that but latest rumours still say a google edition of the One is still coming and if it does, then all the update worries go away foreverz.

Why would you guys be nervous, I can't tell if you're serious. The phone is out already. Literally all they're doing now is updating it and shit. It's their future devices that are a bit of a question mark depending on the success of the One. Not only that but latest rumours still say a google edition of the One is still coming and if it does, then all the update worries go away foreverz.

Well if I'm going to have this phone, I'm thinking it'll be for the next two years. I want to know that two years from now they're actively working on it in a timely manner. Uncertainty at a company can mean a lot of things. If they're having trouble making the HTC One a success due to whatever state the company is in, that could limit support.

Top Bottom